Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Interesting take on Coke using racists to their advantage

Post by ip_law-hokie »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... autiful-ad

Summary:

It's easy to laugh at conservative bigotry and historical ignorance. The United States has always been a multi-lingual country. English itself was an import from colonizers. Spanish has long been the predominant language in many parts of the United States, and many Spanish-speaking folks became Americans because the borders moved, not because they did. Most Americans today are the descendants of immigrants who certainly did not speak the languages native to the piece of land on which we now reside. And when you see someone get mad at multi-lingualism, it's obvious you're watching a racist fly their flag.

Coca-Cola knew exactly what it was doing with this commercial. It knew it would inflame white conservatives, but, more importantly, it knew the commercial would align Coke with Latinos and other quickly-growing groups in the United States. So Coke expands its market share and promotes its product while endorsing a vision of a diverse, multi-cultural America. What's the harm?

Unfortunately, the harm lands squarely on the bodies of kids and families with few resources. Educated, affluent white Americans are drinking less soda than they were a few years ago, and soft drink makers now rely largely on "heavy users" – those who drink several sodas every day – to keep their businesses booming.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Interesting take on Coke using racists to their advantag

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... autiful-ad

Summary:

It's easy to laugh at conservative bigotry and historical ignorance. The United States has always been a multi-lingual country. English itself was an import from colonizers. Spanish has long been the predominant language in many parts of the United States, and many Spanish-speaking folks became Americans because the borders moved, not because they did. Most Americans today are the descendants of immigrants who certainly did not speak the languages native to the piece of land on which we now reside. And when you see someone get mad at multi-lingualism, it's obvious you're watching a racist fly their flag.

Coca-Cola knew exactly what it was doing with this commercial. It knew it would inflame white conservatives, but, more importantly, it knew the commercial would align Coke with Latinos and other quickly-growing groups in the United States. So Coke expands its market share and promotes its product while endorsing a vision of a diverse, multi-cultural America. What's the harm?

Unfortunately, the harm lands squarely on the bodies of kids and families with few resources. Educated, affluent white Americans are drinking less soda than they were a few years ago, and soft drink makers now rely largely on "heavy users" – those who drink several sodas every day – to keep their businesses booming.
Can't wait until such conservatives boycott Coke for Pepsi products...

http://www.afa.net/Detail.aspx?id=2147484052

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/pepsicos- ... ts-praises
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Tough times for racist conservatives for sure. Bless their little hearts.
nolanvt wrote:

Summary:

Can't wait until such conservatives boycott Coke for Pepsi products...

http://www.afa.net/Detail.aspx?id=2147484052

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/pepsicos- ... ts-praises
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Geeeesch. I feel she may be overthinking this ad.....just a touch.

And with all the sanctimony and self righteousness, self appointed, self anointed, moral guardian, she says,

"But perhaps those of us who care about inequality and racism should be angry, too."

Typical.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:Geeeesch. I feel she may be overthinking this ad.....just a touch.

And with all the sanctimony and self righteousness, self appointed, self anointed, moral guardian, she says,

"But perhaps those of us who care about inequality and racism should be angry, too."

Typical.
I'm not usre that the author is. Certainly Coke knows the demographics of its growth. And they certainly could envision that this ad would piss of thin-skinned victims (social conservatives).

I think he/she raises a good point.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I cannot imagine that ip. Any company that gets political is asking for trouble.

And to intentionally annoy and turn of the biggest segment of the population to ingratiate itself with the fastest growing segment is REALLY stupid.

I don't think coke is REALLY stupid.

Unless they have decided to be social crusaders instead of product marketers, that theory just seems silly.

ip_law-hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:Geeeesch. I feel she may be overthinking this ad.....just a touch.

Typical.
I'm not usre that the author is. Certainly Coke knows the demographics of its growth. And they certainly could envision that this ad would piss of thin-skinned victims (social conservatives).

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Typical.

Right, social conservatives are the health conscious, soda avoiding demographic. Liberals are the soda consuming, needing a fix demographic. That's what you're saying, right?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

Summary:

I'm really not sure why anyone would be upset about it in the first place.

That said, let's not pretend that only conservatives act as victimes:

"War on Women"
Constantly calling someone a racist.
"Anti-Gay", "Homophobic", etc.

The left has thrived on creating a victim mentality in this county. To suggest otherwise is "Obama-like" in terms of stating "truths".
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:The United States has always been a multi-lingual country. English itself was an import from colonizers. Spanish has long been the predominant language in many parts of the United States, and many Spanish-speaking folks became Americans because the borders moved, not because they did. Most Americans today are the descendants of immigrants who certainly did not speak the languages native to the piece of land on which we now reside. And when you see someone get mad at multi-lingualism, it's obvious you're watching a racist fly their flag.
I always enjoy a good explanation of the obvious - people in the US didn't speak English until the English got here? No......way. My ancestors going back the primordial ooze didn't all speak English? Groundbreaking.

This is what we call quality journalism. I do find it humorous that this was published in the UK - a country with far weaker speech rights than our own. Maybe the limeys reading it should be careful not to inhale too much of the smug cloud.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

All of this angst over Coca Cola running an ad with the intention of buying a Coke...I don't grok.

Meanwhile Coke stock prices are up a bit.

Lastly a friend of my our's told us she was upset over the Coke ad and wouldn't drink Coke again, she'll switch to Sprite. :shock:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Major Kong wrote:All of this angst over Coca Cola running an ad with the intention of buying a Coke...I don't grok.

Meanwhile Coke stock prices are up a bit.

Lastly a friend of my our's told us she was upset over the Coke ad and wouldn't drink Coke again, she'll switch to Sprite. :shock:
LOL
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

As the article stated, latinos and the lower economic classes are the largest consumers of Coke. As you know, not all high income earners are conservatives.
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Typical.

Right, social conservatives are the health conscious, soda avoiding demographic. Liberals are the soda consuming, needing a fix demographic. That's what you're saying, right?
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Tough times for racist conservatives for sure. Bless their little hearts.
Not to mention people down here already refer to all soda as "coke" anyway.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:The United States has always been a multi-lingual country. English itself was an import from colonizers. Spanish has long been the predominant language in many parts of the United States, and many Spanish-speaking folks became Americans because the borders moved, not because they did. Most Americans today are the descendants of immigrants who certainly did not speak the languages native to the piece of land on which we now reside. And when you see someone get mad at multi-lingualism, it's obvious you're watching a racist fly their flag.
I always enjoy a good explanation of the obvious - people in the US didn't speak English until the English got here? No......way. My ancestors going back the primordial ooze didn't all speak English? Groundbreaking.

This is what we call quality journalism. I do find it humorous that this was published in the UK - a country with far weaker speech rights than our own. Maybe the limeys reading it should be careful not to inhale too much of the smug cloud.
IIWII. Sometimes, you are just on the wrong side of history.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:As the article stated, latinos and the lower economic classes are the largest consumers of Coke. As you know, not all high income earners are conservatives.
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Typical.

And as you say, distancing themselves from the health conscious social conservatives which flies in the face of your normal trolling of them being obese.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Social conservatives, as opposed to economic conservatives, tend to be white trash.
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:As the article stated, latinos and the lower economic classes are the largest consumers of Coke. As you know, not all high income earners are conservatives.
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Typical.

And as you say, distancing themselves from the health conscious social conservatives which flies in the face of your normal trolling of them being obese.
Jack Galt
Party: none of the above

Post by Jack Galt »

Summary:

And I thought they were just trying to get New Yawkers to turn on Bloomy and his "anti-soda" campaign!
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Social conservatives, as opposed to economic conservatives, tend to be white trash.
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Typical.

Health conscious white trash? I guess the real answer is they're whatever you want them to be for your rambling du jour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

IIWII. Racism and xenophobia are big in the trailer parks.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:IIWII. Racism and xenophobia are big in the trailer parks.
Stupidity reigns supreme in the Big Apple(it's big for all the soda consumption)
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Stupidity reigns supreme in the Big Apple(it's big for all the soda consumption)
OK.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Lots of Hispanics live in trailer parks.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
as do lots of white trash.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
OK.
it's not ok, you shouldn't box yourself in like that.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
as do lots of white trash.
help us understand you. Are you an a-hole from thinking it's funny, like those who think sarcasm is a license to be a jerk and believe they're being humorous when people just notice them being an a-hole. Or is it practice for communicating with the locals? NJ and NYC take being an a-hole very seriously, they're masters of this art and are always honing their skill. Are you trying to get in some practice as to not be perceived as weak? They have a lot more practice at it, I can see why you would invest so much energy in catching up.