Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Fairfax Co. schools operating on 2-hour delay today

Post by nolanvt »

For what, I don't know.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Re: Fairfax Co. schools operating on 2-hour delay today

Post by oaktonhokie »

Maybe there was a rumor of a Bible in one of the schools. I guess the SWAT teams will have to check each school building to make sure the kids are safe.

nolanvt wrote:For what, I don't know.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
SuwaneeTim820
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Weather advisory for freezing rain, it would appear. Doesn't look like they are alone:

School Closings and Delays
– Closed –
Frederick County – Md.
Howard County – Md.
Montgomery County – Md.
Baltimore County – Md.
Loudoun County – Va.
Fauquier County – Va.
Stafford County – Va.

– Open Two Hours Late –
Anne Arundel County – Md.
City of Baltimore – Md.
Fairfax County – Va.
Spotsylvania County – Va.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/02/ ... r-outages/
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Weather advisory for freezing rain, it would appear. Doesn't look like they are alone:

– Closed –
Frederick County – Md.
Howard County – Md.
Montgomery County – Md.
Baltimore County – Md.
Loudoun County – Va.
Fauquier County – Va.
Stafford County – Va.

– Open Two Hours Late –
City of Baltimore – Md.
Fairfax County – Va.

This may be the part of my adulthood where I turn into the "get off my lawn" guy, but is it actually that bad out there? Using the scientific method of my own personal anecdotal experience as evidence, I drove through a bunch of wet rain this morning at 6:30 AM. Were there parts of Fairfax Co. where there was actually freezing rain that legitimately hindered driving? This is why I'm on board with ip for mocking Fairfax Co. because the person in charge of making the calls recently stated that they especially liked to err on the side of caution.
BG Hokie

Post by BG Hokie »

My driveway and sidewalk were icier (more dangerous) than they've been for any other winter event all year (last two or three years as a matter of fact) at 8:15am this morning. 2 hour delay made perfect sense because the temps are going up and the roads were fine by that time. Very good call by Fairfax County. Further, that weather certainly would have caused a 2 hour delay when I was growing up in the 80's/90's so I certainly don't want to hear any sanctimonious bullshit to the contrary.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

– Closed –
Frederick County – Md.
Howard County – Md.
Montgomery County – Md.
Baltimore County – Md.
Loudoun County – Va.
Fauquier County – Va.
Stafford County – Va.

– Open Two Hours Late –
City of Baltimore – Md.
Fairfax County – Va.

This may be the part of my adulthood where I turn into the "get off my lawn" guy, but is it actually that bad out there? Using the scientific method of my own personal anecdotal experience as evidence, I drove through a bunch of wet rain this morning at 6:30 AM. Were there parts of Fairfax Co. where there was actually freezing rain that legitimately hindered driving? This is why I'm on board with ip for mocking Fairfax Co. because the person in charge of making the calls recently stated that they especially liked to err on the side of caution.
It's switched to freezing over the last hour. NYC and NJ are close to an ATL event as its turned to ice up there and the interstates are getting jammed.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

nolanvt wrote:This may be the part of my adulthood where I turn into the "get off my lawn" guy, but is it actually that bad out there? Using the scientific method of my own personal anecdotal experience as evidence, I drove through a bunch of wet rain this morning at 6:30 AM. Were there parts of Fairfax Co. where there was actually freezing rain that legitimately hindered driving? This is why I'm on board with ip for mocking Fairfax Co. because the person in charge of making the calls recently stated that they especially liked to err on the side of caution.
If you plug Fairfax County into google maps and look at the shaded region, you can see that it is fuggin' huge. I could definitely see there being issues one one side of the county, while others are seeing much better conditions. Perhaps they wouldn't close so much if they broke down closings by individual school districts rather than the entire county.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:This may be the part of my adulthood where I turn into the "get off my lawn" guy, but is it actually that bad out there? Using the scientific method of my own personal anecdotal experience as evidence, I drove through a bunch of wet rain this morning at 6:30 AM. Were there parts of Fairfax Co. where there was actually freezing rain that legitimately hindered driving? This is why I'm on board with ip for mocking Fairfax Co. because the person in charge of making the calls recently stated that they especially liked to err on the side of caution.
If you plug Fairfax County into google maps and look at the shaded region, you can see that it is fuggin' huge. I could definitely see there being issues one one side of the county, while others are seeing much better conditions. Perhaps they wouldn't close so much if they broke down closings by individual school districts rather than the entire county.
I think dividing up the closings by district could be a good idea, but I don't know what the logistical concerns would be. I just think school administrators can be a tad bit oversensitive to the conditions (not isolated to today) and potential legal action by Ambulance Chasers.

BG, I understand that days like today probably would've been called off similarly in the 80s/90s, too.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

nolanvt wrote:I just think school administrators can be a tad bit oversensitive to the conditions (not isolated to today) and potential legal action by Ambulance Chasers.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

5 inches of snow with a quarter inch of ice. NYC schools opened on time.

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

– Closed –
Frederick County – Md.
Howard County – Md.
Montgomery County – Md.
Baltimore County – Md.
Loudoun County – Va.
Fauquier County – Va.
Stafford County – Va.

– Open Two Hours Late –
City of Baltimore – Md.
Fairfax County – Va.

It's switched to freezing over the last hour. NYC and NJ are close to an ATL event as its turned to ice up there and the interstates are getting jammed.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:5 inches of snow with a quarter inch of ice. NYC schools opened on time.

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

– Closed –
Frederick County – Md.
Howard County – Md.
Montgomery County – Md.
Baltimore County – Md.
Loudoun County – Va.
Fauquier County – Va.
Stafford County – Va.

– Open Two Hours Late –
City of Baltimore – Md.
Fairfax County – Va.

So did the ATL schools last week. The getting home part is the issue.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:5 inches of snow with a quarter inch of ice. NYC schools opened on time.
Not only has it caused power outages and ponds of sidewalk slush from the far reaches of Long Island to New Jersey, but it also means the worst commute of the year for those brave enough to come in to work. Trains are stalled, cars are sliding, socks are soggy: welcome to the Commute from Hell. Con Ed is reporting 2,500 people without power, and Cuomo said that 559 have lost power in Long Island. Nevertheless, authorities are thinking of the children: New York City's public schools have all remained open for business.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Not only has it caused power outages and ponds of sidewalk slush from the far reaches of Long Island to New Jersey, but it also means the worst commute of the year for those brave enough to come in to work. Trains are stalled, cars are sliding, socks are soggy: welcome to the Commute from Hell. Con Ed is reporting 2,500 people without power, and Cuomo said that 559 have lost power in Long Island. Nevertheless, authorities are thinking of the children: New York City's public schools have all remained open for business.

they are talking about the b & t crowd - who aren't really that important.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.