Re: No more masks

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 am
awesome guy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 pm
133743Hokie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:50 pm
awesome guy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:46 pm
133743Hokie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:44 pm
awesome guy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:41 pm

Nope, I said what I mean. They'd accept dead people not at high risk to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed. They see that as the greatest fear as it makes treating everyone else with regular issues difficult or impossible.
Do you just sit around thinking this stuff up? Guidelines were enacted to limit/reduce numbers catching the virus and dying.
If that were true then just the vulnerable would receive it, not the entire planet.
Which is why the vulnerable were the first, second and third in line of priority.

1st in line are the only vulnerable. It's an unnecessary risk for everyone else. FL demonstrated this in how they handled Covid-19 vs NY.
Tell me from your couch in VA how Florida handled it so differently, keeping in mind I'm a Florida resident so experienced the policies first hand for a good part of the last year.
Guess it's the same couch you're on. What the hell, you've been clueless in all of these conversations. FL isolated it's elderly to protect them rather than close down the entire state. They've been the most free in all of this and had one of the best outcomes by being smart and surgical in their approach instead of treating 16 year old as if they have the same risk as an 80 year old.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

133743Hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:04 am
hokie80 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:51 am

If that were true then just the vulnerable would receive it, not the entire planet.
Which is why the vulnerable were the first, second and third in line of priority.

1st in line are the only vulnerable. It's an unnecessary risk for everyone else. FL demonstrated this in how they handled Covid-19 vs NY.
Tell me from your couch in VA how Florida handled it so differently, keeping in mind I'm a Florida resident so experienced the policies first hand for a good part of the last year.
Not to mention the Gov. changed the way the numbers were reported (political move) and had the person who was reporting them removed and then later falsely arrested.

DeSantis didn’t handle this well at all.
I suggest you read up on her and that issue. Everything you claim or think you know has now been proven false. Lots of recent articles out there about it. She's a loon. Desantis has been consistent from the start.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronaviru ... story.html

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/34 ... reporting/

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news ... /41747187/

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... onspiracy/

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... dicts-him/
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

186518742_10165387041910596_2298857441060231994_n.jpg
186518742_10165387041910596_2298857441060231994_n.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 16577 times
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

LOL
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Add Bill Maher to the list. Vaccinated and gets covid-19. The vaccine just lessens the symptoms, you're not immune. A lot of people are out French kissing strangers or whatever now thinking that they're immune and they're not.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Kent State poop girl owns the libs by…. wearing a mask.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

? poop girl?
Salute the Marines
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:13 am Add Bill Maher to the list. Vaccinated and gets covid-19. The vaccine just lessens the symptoms, you're not immune. A lot of people are out French kissing strangers or whatever now thinking that they're immune and they're not.
It does both.

It DECREASES your chances of contracting COVID at all - though perhaps not to the same extent that traditional vaccines do.

At the end of April, the CDC stopped counting breakthrough cases if they did not result in hospitalization, but at that time - when 95 million people had been fully vaccinated - there had been fewer than 10,000 documented breakthrough cases.

Yes, obviously, not every asymptomatic breakthrough case gets caught. But there are a lot of people who get tested for their jobs, for travel, or for some other reason, and so though obviously the testing is going to be skewed to unvaccinated people, there are still enough vaccinated people getting tested that the rate of breakthrough cases is low. But even if only 1% of the cases ever got caught, that would still be way lower than your chance of catching COVID unvaccinated.

Athletes, medcial personnel, travelers, students, and a host of others whose jobs require it are getting tested constantly.

And the biggest benefit, as you correctly say, is the fact that the vaccine makes it much, much, much less likely that you will have a SEVERE case. As of now, according to the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/h ... cases.html there have been 115 million vaccinated people and 1136 of them - .001% of them - have been hospitalized. On the other hand, 2,177,173 unvaccinated people have been hospitalized, or 0.6% of the US population.

So of course vaccinated people should still be exercising precautions and not French kissing strangers (which was never a good idea, even before COVID). The CDC is 100% wrong to advocate lifting the mask mandate and on that we are in violent agreement. But the vaccine is beneficial - both in reducing your chance of catching COVID at all and reducing your chance of a severe infection.

Vaccinated people need to still treat this as a serious illness and take precautions ... but you're doing yourself and anyone who believes your nonsense a disservice when you advocate not getting the vaccine.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:30 am
awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:13 am Add Bill Maher to the list. Vaccinated and gets covid-19. The vaccine just lessens the symptoms, you're not immune. A lot of people are out French kissing strangers or whatever now thinking that they're immune and they're not.
It does both.

It DECREASES your chances of contracting COVID at all - though perhaps not to the same extent that traditional vaccines do.

At the end of April, the CDC stopped counting breakthrough cases if they did not result in hospitalization, but at that time - when 95 million people had been fully vaccinated - there had been fewer than 10,000 documented breakthrough cases.

Yes, obviously, not every asymptomatic breakthrough case gets caught. But there are a lot of people who get tested for their jobs, for travel, or for some other reason, and so though obviously the testing is going to be skewed to unvaccinated people, there are still enough vaccinated people getting tested that the rate of breakthrough cases is low. But even if only 1% of the cases ever got caught, that would still be way lower than your chance of catching COVID unvaccinated.

Athletes, medcial personnel, travelers, students, and a host of others whose jobs require it are getting tested constantly.

And the biggest benefit, as you correctly say, is the fact that the vaccine makes it much, much, much less likely that you will have a SEVERE case. As of now, according to the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/h ... cases.html there have been 115 million vaccinated people and 1136 of them - .001% of them - have been hospitalized. On the other hand, 2,177,173 unvaccinated people have been hospitalized, or 0.6% of the US population.

So of course vaccinated people should still be exercising precautions and not French kissing strangers (which was never a good idea, even before COVID). The CDC is 100% wrong to advocate lifting the mask mandate and on that we are in violent agreement. But the vaccine is beneficial - both in reducing your chance of catching COVID at all and reducing your chance of a severe infection.

Vaccinated people need to still treat this as a serious illness and take precautions ... but you're doing yourself and anyone who believes your nonsense a disservice when you advocate not getting the vaccine.
There's zero evidence to back your beliefs. I already highlighted the missing text and there's vaccinated people getting Covid19 all over. You can of course believe what you want, but it's not supported by the literature or science.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:41 amThere's zero evidence to back your beliefs. I already highlighted the missing text and there's vaccinated people getting Covid19 all over. You can of course believe what you want, but it's not supported by the literature or science.
I don't think you know what those words mean.

Anecdotal examples of vaccinated people getting COVID don't tell you anything. You're arguing that because anecdotal examples exist, the probability of contracting COVID while vaccinated is no different than the probability of contracting it unvaccinated. That is provably and demonstrably false. (The exact extent to which it is false is unknown and unknowable.)

What is most certainly known is that being vaccinated drops your chances of being hospitalized from COVID from 0.6% to 0.001%. That sounds like a great deal to me.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 am
awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:41 amThere's zero evidence to back your beliefs. I already highlighted the missing text and there's vaccinated people getting Covid19 all over. You can of course believe what you want, but it's not supported by the literature or science.

Anecdotal examples of vaccinated people getting COVID don't tell you anything. You're arguing that because anecdotal examples exist, the probability of contracting COVID while vaccinated is no different than the probability of contracting it unvaccinated. That is provably and demonstrably false. (The exact extent to which it is false is unknown and unknowable.)

What is most certainly known is that being vaccinated drops your chances of being hospitalized from COVID from 0.6% to 0.001%. That sounds like a great deal to me.
You clearly don't know what they mean. All literature addresses hospital rate, not immunity. Anecdotes should illustrate that to you. Believe what you want though.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Here's the death and hospitalization rate. The distribution is power law and not linear. So saying that your hospitalization rate is .6% is disingenuous, you have practically 0 chance when you're under 18 and significant risk over 65. Almost all severe outcomes are in the 65 and older group, even though cases are more evenly distributed across age. So unless you're 65 and older, Covid isn't much of a risk to you and it makes little sense to get vaccinated. Granny is still protected from dying with her vaccination and you're not lowering the risk of her getting infected with your vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... y-age.html
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 am

You clearly don't know what they mean. All literature addresses hospital rate, not immunity. Anecdotes should illustrate that to you. Believe what you want though.
One of Trump's lasting legacies will be having his supporters die and suffer from a disease that the rest of the population has overcome. Sad!

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/17 ... irus-cases
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:35 pm

One of Trump's lasting legacies will be having his supporters die and suffer from a disease that the rest of the population has overcome. Sad!

Can't read it and don't care. I already posted how it's following the exact trajectory of the 1918 flu. Like the loser sidekick trope, you're sticking your sword in a slain dragon to declare dominance over a beast already taken out by nature. Variants are where the battle is now, though that may be aided by vaccines as they're tracking as a lab creation would rather than something from nature.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Can't read it and don't care. I already posted how it's following the exact trajectory of the 1918 flu. Like the loser sidekick trope, you're sticking your sword in a slain dragon to declare dominance over a beast already taken out by nature. Variants are where the battle is now, though that may be aided by vaccines as they're tracking as a lab creation would rather than something from nature.
Got it.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Got it.
Sure thing lab rat
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:06 pm

Got it.
Sure thing lab rat
It's cute how your brethren condone your antics and ignorance. A microcosm of the GOP.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:58 pm
awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:06 pm

Got it.
Sure thing lab rat
It's cute how your brethren condone your antics and ignorance. A microcosm of the GOP.
Got it FF
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:17 am
133743Hokie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:44 pm
Do you just sit around thinking this stuff up? Guidelines were enacted to limit/reduce numbers catching the virus and dying.

Guess it's the same couch you're on. What the hell, you've been clueless in all of these conversations. FL isolated it's elderly to protect them rather than close down the entire state. They've been the most free in all of this and had one of the best outcomes by being smart and surgical in their approach instead of treating 16 year old as if they have the same risk as an 80 year old.
As I thought, you know little of what Florida actually did. Yes, they handled the elderly different and it proved to be the correct approach. They also continued in-person school. But the state and localities had very stringent criteria in place regarding masks, cleaning, distancing, etc. for businesses. The state was in fact essentially "closed down" like all others. Local jurisdictions layered their own requirements on the state guidelines (which were considered "minimums") which were even more stringent. So you've looked at one component of the states actions, treatment of the elderly, and made a broad judgement.
Last edited by 133743Hokie on Mon May 17, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

hokie80 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 am
133743Hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:04 am
hokie80 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:51 am

Not to mention the Gov. changed the way the numbers were reported (political move) and had the person who was reporting them removed and then later falsely arrested.

DeSantis didn’t handle this well at all.
I suggest you read up on her and that issue. Everything you claim or think you know has now been proven false. Lots of recent articles out there about it. She's a loon. Desantis has been consistent from the start.
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronaviru ... story.html

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/34 ... reporting/

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news ... /41747187/

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... onspiracy/

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... dicts-him/
Again, like I said, read the current stories, not a bunch of 6 to 12 month old articles. You'll find that the early reporting (which you've cited above) was wrong. Here's one. There are many more out there.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/05/ ... term=first
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

The 95% efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine essentially means a vaccinated person is 95% less likely to catch the virus as an uncvaccinated person under the same conditions.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:14 pm
awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:17 am

As I thought, you know little of what Florida actually did. Yes, they handled the elderly different and it proved to be the correct approach. They also continued in-person school. But the state and localities had very stringent criteria in place regarding masks, cleaning, distancing, etc. for businesses. The state was in fact essentially "closed down" like all others. Local jurisdictions layered their own requirements on the state guidelines (which were considered "minimums") which were even more stringent. So you've looked at one component of the states actions, treatment of the elderly, and made a broad judgement.
You're FOS
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm

The 95% efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine essentially means a vaccinated person is 95% less likely to catch the virus as an uncvaccinated person under the same conditions.

Nope, efficiency is reported by hospitalization, not immunity.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Saw a story (no link- you can find it)... apparently Eric Clapton isn't a fan of the vaccine. Made him sick.
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm
133743Hokie wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Nope, efficiency is reported by hospitalization, not immunity.
That's incorrect.