Watched the new Boeing doc on Netflix this weekend

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Watched the new Boeing doc on Netflix this weekend

Post by nolanvt »

I remember us covering it in this UWS thread years back, especially the weird caping of Boeing by USN and "hey, are planes crashing everyday?" by cwtcr. The answer to that question is, yes, 737 Max planes were routinely going to crash given how the MCAS system was installed.

In the first crash, the pilots were unaware of the MCAS altogether. Boeing cut corners so pilots didn't have to be trained on it, and pilots were generally unaware of the feature and its mechanics. In the second crash, the pilot attempted the correction that was directed by Boeing, but even that failed to prevent the crash because you had a ridiculously small sliver of time to get it right.

Boeing rightfully paid for their actions that their poor culture generated. It was once a great company with a great reputation, so I'm hoping they'll rebound to what they can be.

viewtopic.php?p=272562#p272562
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
RiverguyVT

Re: Watched the new Boeing doc on Netflix this weekend

Post by RiverguyVT »

I might have to look that one up.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:06 pm I remember us covering it in this UWS thread years back, especially the weird caping of Boeing by USN and "hey, are planes crashing everyday?" by cwtcr. The answer to that question is, yes, 737 Max planes were routinely going to crash given how the MCAS system was installed.

In the first crash, the pilots were unaware of the MCAS altogether. Boeing cut corners so pilots didn't have to be trained on it, and pilots were generally unaware of the feature and its mechanics. In the second crash, the pilot attempted the correction that was directed by Boeing, but even that failed to prevent the crash because you had a ridiculously small sliver of time to get it right.

Boeing rightfully paid for their actions that their poor culture generated. It was once a great company with a great reputation, so I'm hoping they'll rebound to what they can be.

viewtopic.php?p=272562#p272562
Miss them both. But yeah, that was a classic Cap'n hot take, based on his conversation with Pilot buddy (and that he probably owned shares or did business with them).
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Wow….a thread where DC said I nailed it……😂😂😂😜

Bad pilots CLEARLY wasn’t the issue back then……
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:54 am Wow….a thread where DC said I nailed it……😂😂😂😜

Bad pilots CLEARLY wasn’t the issue back then……
Ha! I agree with you a lot. You post so much these days, it's impossible to keep up.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Watching that documentary makes you nervous to be a frequent flier. There are some real physchopaths at Boeing. The new ceo is a hokie, hopefully he can make them great again.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

fatman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:38 am Watching that documentary makes you nervous to be a frequent flier. There are some real physchopaths at Boeing. The new ceo is a hokie, hopefully he can make them great again.
Hah. I'd forgotten that he's a hokie! 8-)

Now, if only the unions would leave them alone, their task would be easier.

Make Boeing Great Again = MBGA? --- Embagah? :D
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

So, I watched almost all of it working out this morning. (I'm down almost 25 lbs from December, btw! Woot~!)

I'd like to remind the board of two things. This was also a story of a government bureaucracy that was no longer accountable to the citizens it was meant to serve (FAA). You leftists take note. An unaccountable unresponsive self-interested government agency.

Annnnd. dRuMpF~! is the one that grounded the planes, making the skies safer for all those bureaucrats to fly to their government-paid resort destinations. TheDonald. tfg. The Trumpiest of all Trumpies.

Going against the grain like that is why he was elected in the first place. And it saved lives.
Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:33 pm So, I watched almost all of it working out this morning. (I'm down almost 25 lbs from December, btw! Woot~!)

I'd like to remind the board of two things. This was also a story of a government bureaucracy that was no longer accountable to the citizens it was meant to serve (FAA). You leftists take note. An unaccountable unresponsive self-interested government agency.

Annnnd. dRuMpF~! is the one that grounded the planes, making the skies safer for all those bureaucrats to fly to their government-paid resort destinations. TheDonald. tfg. The Trumpiest of all Trumpies.

Going against the grain like that is why he was elected in the first place. And it saved lives.
You're on a roll today. You bring up Trump in a thread that's not about Trump. And then you praise him for doing something, that isn't true.

Trump grounded the planes...and saved lives!!!! Against the grain!
Yeh. He went against the grain. The US was the 52nd country to ground the 737. The first US response to the 2nd 737 crash from Ethiopian airlines, that killed 157 ppl, was to issue a "Continued Airworthiness Notice". It took 2 more days for the US to ground the 737s, trailing every other first world country except New Zealand.

Yayyyy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

HokieFanDC wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:50 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:33 pm So, I watched almost all of it working out this morning. (I'm down almost 25 lbs from December, btw! Woot~!)

You're on a roll today. You bring up Trump in a thread that's not about Trump. And then you praise him for doing something, that isn't true.

Yeh. He went against the grain. The US was the 52nd country to ground the 737. The first US response to the 2nd 737 crash from Ethiopian airlines, that killed 157 ppl, was to issue a "Continued Airworthiness Notice". It took 2 more days for the US to ground the 737s, trailing every other first world country except New Zealand.

LOL.

RG is indeed an enigma.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Good grief. The movie mentioned Trump. Trump was in the effing movie. :roll:
An overgrown bureaucracy refused to do it (the FAA), so Trump took it in to his own hands. Watch the effin' movie.
Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:24 am

Good grief. The movie mentioned Trump. Trump was in the effing movie. :roll:
An overgrown bureaucracy refused to do it (the FAA), so Trump took it in to his own hands. Watch the effin' movie.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You do realize the FAA reports to the POTUS right? He can tell them what to do.
Politicians were calling for the FAA to ground the 737. The labor unions were calling to ground the 737. The public was calling for him to ground the planes.
I know, I know, he doesn't like to exert pressure on the ppl that work for him. Prefers to take a backseat to their recommendations and not comment or interfere.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

fatman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:38 am Watching that documentary makes you nervous to be a frequent flier. There are some real physchopaths at Boeing. The new ceo is a hokie, hopefully he can make them great again.
I've taken Airbuses at about a 3:1 clip compared to Boeing planes. The A380 was so sweet. Well, it still is, but it saddened me to see production stop.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

VisorBoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:56 am
I've taken Airbuses at about a 3:1 clip compared to Boeing planes. The A380 was so sweet. Well, it still is, but it saddened me to see production stop.
I knew the day I saw that thing was going into production…..it wouldn’t stay in production that long.

I’ve been on Boeings much more than Airbuses. I’d love to fly on the 380 once, but I prefer Boeings. Airbuses seem “wonky” if you get what I mean. Might be a more responsive flight control system. The 787 and the 737Max are so smooth in takeoff and flight.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Hooo Boy…….Boeing not looking too good…….again……..

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Maybe forced DEI hiring should be left to NGOs and HR departments, and not anywhere that involves things that have to work.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:27 pm Maybe forced DEI hiring should be left to NGOs and HR departments, and not anywhere that involves things that have to work.

DEI hiring should be outlawed.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:28 pm
Bay_area_Hokie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:27 pm Maybe forced DEI hiring should be left to NGOs and HR departments, and not anywhere that involves things that have to work.

DEI hiring should be outlawed.
Given the post I made about the United 767 hard landing by an under-qualified pilot…….correct. People will DIE

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

not sure I want to fly on a Boeing plane OR United any more…..

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:50 pm not sure I want to fly on a Boeing plane OR United any more…..

I'm not flying United. May plan around the big Boeings.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:06 pm
HokieHam wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:50 pm not sure I want to fly on a Boeing plane OR United any more…..

I'm not flying United. May plan around the big Boeings.
….and older ones.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Maybe focus on hiring the best and the brightest and not diverting funds to racist hiring practices you utter fool!
FAA Weighs Curbing New Routes for United Following Mishaps

Regulators also may limit operations on newly delivered jets
Actions would temporarily halt growth at the major US carrier
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -incidents