Hollywood realizes massive market value decline of more than $500 billion in 2022: report

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Hollywood realizes massive market value decline of more than $500 billion in 2022: report

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:33 pm
HokieHam wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:36 pm
HokieHam wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:46 am LOL………keep taking the L’s woke groomers……man, I hope the new Indiana Jones movie flops. Given what Variety wrote, it’s not looking good. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favs too. Almost $300M to make. I get won’t dare cut KK loose…….and she’s taking all these franchises and shiRting on them for THE MESSAGE.
Disney to close Star Wars hotel that opened in Florida last year
https://www.reuters.com/business/disne ... 023-05-18/
Reports are saying they need to make $800M to break even.

The BBC wrote a review saying it’s gloomy and depressing. Of course Disney has to take an iconic HuWhite male hero and make the new female co-lead the awesomest!
I'm not sure how many fans want to see Indiana Jones as a broken, helpless old man who cowers in the corner while his patronizing goddaughter takes the lead, but that's what we're given, and it's as bleak as it sounds.
Yeah……..typical Kathleen Kennedy BS. They really know how to kill a franchise.
Wow……so latest updates had DoD costing $327M and it had a 68% drop in the second week and is estimated to hit $119-122M after this week. This is going to cost them hundreds of millions of dollars. It’s the typical LucasFilm/Kathleen Kennedy template…..take strong HuWhite male character and deconstruct him and insert a Mary Sue.

If she doesn’t get fired after this, she has something on Disney management……..

Trashing Walt's legacy seems to be the objective.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
fatman

Re: Hollywood realizes massive market value decline of more than $500 billion in 2022: report

Post by fatman »

HokieHam wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:46 am LOL………keep taking the L’s woke groomers……man, I hope the new Indiana Jones movie flops. Given what Variety wrote, it’s not looking good. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favs too. Almost $300M to make. I get won’t dare cut KK loose…….and she’s taking all these franchises and shiRting on them for THE MESSAGE.

The BBC wrote a review saying it’s gloomy and depressing. Of course Disney has to take an iconic HuWhite male hero and make the new female co-lead the awesomest!
I'm not sure how many fans want to see Indiana Jones as a broken, helpless old man who cowers in the corner while his patronizing goddaughter takes the lead, but that's what we're given, and it's as bleak as it sounds.
Wow……so latest updates had DoD costing $327M and it had a 68% drop in the second week and is estimated to hit $119-122M after this week. This is going to cost them hundreds of millions of dollars. It’s the typical LucasFilm/Kathleen Kennedy template…..take strong HuWhite male character and deconstruct him and insert a Mary Sue.

I’m not following that review of Indiana Jones. If anything is was another formulaic sequel that followed typical Indiana Jones plotlines. Overall it didn’t seem political at all, just more IJ fighting nazis. Mindless, but an enjoyable couple hours. I think even the UWS crew would enjoy it.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

fatman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:09 am

I’m not following that review of Indiana Jones. If anything is was another formulaic sequel that followed typical Indiana Jones plotlines. Overall it didn’t seem political at all, just more IJ fighting nazis. Mindless, but an enjoyable couple hours. I think even the UWS crew would enjoy it.
I can’t help it if you can’t see overall patterns……
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
fatman

Post by fatman »

HokieHam wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:53 pm

Have you watched it? You’d have to be a very fragile snowflake to get triggered by this movie. It’s classic Indiana Jones.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

fatman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:47 pm

Have you watched it? You’d have to be a very fragile snowflake to get triggered by this movie. It’s classic Indiana Jones.
Agree. No politics other than anti Nazi. Hopefully that shouldn’t be a controversial position.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HvilleHokie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:54 pm

Agree. No politics other than anti Nazi. Hopefully that shouldn’t be a controversial position.
You obviously missed the part where Mary Sue claims stealing is capitalism……
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Who says I’m triggered. I’m stating facts. It’s the overall theme from the new Star Wars Trilogy, the TV shows and this film.

People are tired of it. It’s why the $500 Billion in decline is going to continue.

HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

HokieHam wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:05 am

That’s the line that has the right wing outrage machine upset? It was delivered by characters with nebulous morals attempting to justify stealing something in order to sell it. In no way was it a comment on politics 😂
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:33 am
HokieHam wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:05 am

That’s the line that has the right wing outrage machine upset? It was delivered by characters with nebulous morals attempting to justify stealing something in order to sell it. In no way was it a comment on politics 😂
Up in arms? No. You said “no politics” and there it is…..so, you’re wrong.

My problem with the film is it’s the SOS as I said above. Prove me wrong. It’s cookie cutter. I could list a whole host of parallels with the crap Star Wars Trilogy. They’ve ruined two of the biggest franchises (one IS the biggest) in movie history.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

White man baaaad and incompetent.... woman goooodd......

Somma y'all don't see it, which isn't surprising at all given world views. The brainwash pablum tastes good to some; to others, we want the meat of free thought.
Attachments
350376_image.jpg
350376_image.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
fatman

Post by fatman »

RiverguyVT wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:15 pm White man baaaad and incompetent.... woman goooodd......

Somma y'all don't see it, which isn't surprising at all given world views. The brainwash pablum tastes good to some; to others, we want the meat of free thought.
Have you seen the film? Indiana Jones is old, but he isn’t bad or incompetent. He single handedly takes down hundreds of nazi’s….again.

There may be valid points to be made about politics in film, but this is not a political movie. It’s typical Indiana Jones mindless fun, but a pretty good 3 hours. Someone would have to be looking for a reason to be upset to get offended by this movie.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:15 pm White man baaaad and incompetent.... woman goooodd......

What in the world? You are using Indiana jones.. one of the iconic alpha white male characters in the history of cinema.. as an example of white man bad?

Youre even further off base than normal
fatman

Post by fatman »

HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:08 pm

What in the world? You are using Indiana jones.. one of the iconic alpha white male characters in the history of cinema.. as an example of white man bad?

I don’t think any of these guys have seen Indiana Jones. I think they are assuming that Harrison ford sharing the screen with a female accomplice is cause for yet another boycott .

These guys probably have some solid points to be made about other movies, but it is bewildering what has triggered them about this film.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

fatman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:57 pm

I don’t think any of these guys have seen Indiana Jones. I think they are assuming that Harrison ford sharing the screen with a female accomplice is cause for yet another boycott .

These guys probably have some solid points to be made about other movies, but it is bewildering what has triggered them about this film.
It’s even more bizarre because every Indiana jones has had a female accomplice.
fatman

Post by fatman »

HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:28 pm

Yeah. I’m drawing a blank. Wonder what it is that is triggering them?

[tweet] https://twitter.com/johnfugelsang/statu ... ZpFWTn4OCQ[/tweet]
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

It’s hilarious to see neither of you can see it…..carry on!

HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

HokieHam wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:09 pm

Says the guy who hasn’t seen the movie
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HvilleHokie wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:24 am
HokieHam wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:09 pm

Says the guy who hasn’t seen the movie
Both of you also make assumptions.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Am I triggered? LOL

Nope.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

fatman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:37 pm Yeah. I’m drawing a blank. Wonder what it is that is triggering them?

Calling me a nazi? Wow.

Sadly, speaking of blindness, I could cite almost countless examples of today's left (which has your full throated support) being exactly like nazis. There's nothing you can similarly cite from the right. You just blindly fall in line and parrot the hard left (nazi-like) narrative.
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

fatman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:37 pm

Yeah. I’m drawing a blank. Wonder what it is that is triggering them?

Poor little fatman. You don't like Indiana Jones 5? You must be a nazi!!!
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Meanwhile...

https://nypost.com/2023/07/12/equity-ac ... blackface/

Equity activists outraged at Disney, Netflix for forcing DEI chiefs out
By Yael Halon , Fox News
July 12, 2023

Diversity activists are accusing the entertainment industry of “corporate blackface” and running out of “White guilt” after a number of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) executives at top entertainment and media companies suddenly stepped down or were forced out of their roles.

Between June 20 and July 3, at least five executives overseeing DEI initiatives at leading entertainment companies including Disney, Netflix and Warner Bros. Discovery, left their posts.

All the outgoing execs are Black women.

An LA Times story published Tuesday linked the high-profile exits to the backlash against “wokeness” by conservative politics and pundits, as many speculate whether the job changes are a result of the growing pushback to the left’s diversity push.

The story, titled “High-profile exits spark fears that Hollywood diversity pledges are just ‘PR,’ focuses its ire on the entertainment industry, citing a number of outraged equity activists who accused Hollywood of making insincere commitments to diversity and racial justice programs for “PR” purposes after the George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020.

“Numerous diversity-centered initiatives were established. More transparency around issues of race was assured.

But companies have since begun to scale back such commitments and, in some cases, employees dedicated to diversity initiatives, leading some insiders and advocates to fear that the doors to more opportunities once again have been slammed shut,” the LA Times story reads.

“2020 was the year that we were definitely making strides — but there wasn’t any strategy, there wasn’t any plan,” Kim Crayton, the self-described “anti-racist economist” and author of the book “Profit Without Oppression,” told the LA Times. “It was a PR moment — corporate blackface … I told people at the time: ‘White guilt isn’t going to last.’”

Vic Bulluck, the founding executive director of the NAACP Hollywood Bureau, called the Hollywood exits “frightening” in the LA Times article.

“Hollywood seems to be sending a message that these programs that were designed to give more access to African Americans are no longer needed,” he said.

Paula Madison, a former chief diversity officer of NBCUniversal, blamed the companies and corporations — not the executives charged with overseeing the initiatives — for the lack of “actual accomplishments” on the DEI front.

“Billions of dollars were committed,” Madison said. “What have been the actual accomplishments? Very little, if anything. So here we are. Now these companies say they’re ‘reorganizing, rethinking and taking a hard look.’ They say they are not pulling away from their commitments. No, they’re not — but they didn’t really have much of a commitment in the first place,” she said.

The article states that despite the massive amounts of money and resources allocated for these initiatives, diversity and inclusion chiefs have struggled with “burnout” after they were unable to “transform their organization’s culture.”

The LA Times says Janelle English decided to step away from her job at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (the Oscars) to take time to “recharge” after struggling to push her initiative forward.

Crayton claimed it was because many of the female diversity chiefs were too busy “navigating White people’s feelings” to make significant changes in their roles.

“If you don’t have the autonomy, the resources or the authority to make changes, it won’t work,” she told LA Times “Many of these women spend the majority of their time navigating White people’s feelings — and you cannot do the work if you have to do that.”

Crayton offered a similar skepticism towards DEI positions on Twitter.

“Systems, institutions, and policies that privilege the few at the expense of the many operating as DESIGNED…this is why when asked by Black women my opinion about DEI roles I caution them that in most orgs they ARE performative AND expendable,” she tweeted.

Disney, Netflix and Warner Bros. Discovery reportedly disagreed with the characterization, saying their commitments to diversity and inclusion are “genuine and have not wavered.

They point to diverse high-level executives who remain, saying the spate of DEI exits were unrelated, largely due to personal circumstances or corporate restructurings,” the LA Times reported.

Disney, Netflix and Warner Bros. Discovery could not be reached for comment.

The DEI push is not just being scrutinized in Hollywood.

In Corporate America, the similarly-themed ESG (Environmental Social Governance) movement, which has companies prioritizing social justice and the green agenda, has faced such public backlash that the CEO of BlackRock, which is widely seen as a champion of the ESG cause, expressed remorse last month saying he was “ashamed of being part of this conversation,” reframing such principles as “conscientious capitalism.”
Too early to celebrate, but it's a start. Perhaps Benny Goodman played it best.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

FTR I really liked the movie. The start of the movie was classic IJ.

My only problem with it was the length. A little too long.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

If a scriptmonkey in the forest goes on strike will anybody notice?
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Major Kong wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:58 am FTR I really liked the movie. The start of the movie was classic IJ.

My only problem with it was the length. A little too long.
Cool. I’m not knocking anyone for liking the film. The start was classic. One thing I couldn’t help notice in the first 20 minutes or so is how Harrison Ford really uses his whole body while acting and you could notice the guy they put the deep fake on, wasn’t him.

My issue is after that…..it’s the same template from many other LucasFilm productions.