1 in 25 5 YOs in America will die by age 40.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Re: 1 in 25 5 YOs in America will die by age 40.

Post by HokieFanDC »

WEHRedux wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:59 am
HokieFanDC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:33 am
hokie80 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:51 pm
dunwithtrump wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:48 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:00 pm ridiculous.

1 in 50 aren't killed by guns.

And the NRA has about as much to do with gun deaths as AAA does highway accidents.
NRA bribe$$$ have everything to do with American gun policy. The AAA doesn't bribe politicians and so is a very stupid metaphor.
Blaming the NRA is a nonsensical leftist emotional rant.
The NRA-ILA has spent a lot of time and money fighting against more background checks and stricter background checks.
They're part of the problem, but they certainly aren't the only problem. Their stance on background checks is awful IMO.
What stance?

I am not a member so I don’t their position.
??? "The NRA-ILA has spent a lot of time and money fighting against more background checks and stricter background checks."
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

HokieFanDC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:54 pm

And the NRA has about as much to do with gun deaths as AAA does highway accidents.
NRA bribe$$$ have everything to do with American gun policy. The AAA doesn't bribe politicians and so is a very stupid metaphor.
The NRA-ILA has spent a lot of time and money fighting against more background checks and stricter background checks.
They're part of the problem, but they certainly aren't the only problem. Their stance on background checks is awful IMO.
What stance?

??? "The NRA-ILA has spent a lot of time and money fighting against more background checks and stricter background checks."
I assume you are talking about background checks on private sales.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

hokie80 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:29 pm

What stance?

That's one of them.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

HokieFanDC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:39 pm

What stance?

That's one of them.
What else?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

hokie80 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:42 pm

What stance?

That's one of them.
What else?
It's not a what else. They simply fight against expansion of background checks, including improving access to mental health records. It's one of the main goals of the NRA-ILA.
WEHRedux
Party: Libertarian

Post by WEHRedux »

HokieFanDC wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:34 pm

What stance?

That's one of them.
What else?
It's not a what else. They simply fight against expansion of background checks, including improving access to mental health records. It's one of the main goals of the NRA-ILA.
Background checks on private sales sound good in theory, but would have zero effect. The responsible gun owners I know only sell to people they know well or others know well and are trustworthy. They do a better job than merchants do.

Mental health checks are complicated. Privacy concerns with the government having access to protected medical information. If you are a political enemy, it could get leaked.

What disqualifies you from exercising this fundamental right? What if you sought help for depression after suffering a loss? Psych doctors have no idea who is likely to go off and who won’t with the same psychosis. Do we strip the right of everyone for self defense who is schizophrenic, just to be safe?

Doctors were unethically diagnosing Trump with various mental illnesses even though they had never treated him. It doesn’t seem beyond the pale with the current Democrats to declare all Trump voters mentally ill.

Finally, what if you get on the list by mistake? People on the no fly list, for example, had no recourse.

It really comes down to the fact, again, that the Democrats can’t be trusted.
fatman

Post by fatman »

WEHRedux wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:14 pm

That's one of them.
What else?
Background checks on private sales sound good in theory, but would have zero effect. The responsible gun owners I know only sell to people they know well or others know well and are trustworthy. They do a better job than merchants do.

Mental health checks are complicated. Privacy concerns with the government having access to protected medical information. If you are a political enemy, it could get leaked.

What disqualifies you from exercising this fundamental right? What if you sought help for depression after suffering a loss? Psych doctors have no idea who is likely to go off and who won’t with the same psychosis. Do we strip the right of everyone for self defense who is schizophrenic, just to be safe?

Doctors were unethically diagnosing Trump with various mental illnesses even though they had never treated him. It doesn’t seem beyond the pale with the current Democrats to declare all Trump voters mentally ill.

Finally, what if you get on the list by mistake? People on the no fly list, for example, had no recourse.

Are we talking about balancing the rights of a person who is severely mentally ill to defend themselves with an AR against the rights of elementary school kids to go to school without getting shots up by a mentally ill person who is able to buy an AR? That seems like an easy trade off.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

What stance?

Like all NRA stances that I am aware of, the NRA stance on background checks is well reasoned, researched, and thought out. It is anything BUT "awful".

Some reading:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2013012 ... lutely-not

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2013040 ... und-checks

https://www.nraila.org/get-the-facts/ba ... ecks-nics/

https://reason.com/2013/04/11/checks-th ... un-rights/

https://reason.com/2013/04/17/checking- ... nd-checks/

The "reason" articles were linked directly from the NRA's official site, so I'm being generous, but not overly so, to say these are NRA stances.

TLDR - background checks don't stop gun violence because most criminals get their guns by other means.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
WEHRedux

Post by WEHRedux »

fatman wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:56 pm

That's one of them.
What else?

Are we talking about balancing the rights of a person who is severely mentally ill to defend themselves with an AR against the rights of elementary school kids to go to school without getting shots up by a mentally ill person who is able to buy an AR? That seems like an easy trade off.
Define “severely mentally ill”. Lot tougher than you think.

A lot of mentally ill people are harmless. Do they go into the database?

And do you seriously think the left is going to allow mentally ill people who fall into a favored group (like trans) will allow it? This is a group of people who won’t take violent homeless people off the street or keep criminals in jail.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:31 am

What stance?

Like all NRA stances that I am aware of, the NRA stance on background checks is well reasoned, researched, and thought out. It is anything BUT "awful".

Some reading:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2013012 ... lutely-not

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2013040 ... und-checks

https://www.nraila.org/get-the-facts/ba ... ecks-nics/

https://reason.com/2013/04/11/checks-th ... un-rights/

https://reason.com/2013/04/17/checking- ... nd-checks/

The "reason" articles were linked directly from the NRA's official site, so I'm being generous, but not overly so, to say these are NRA stances.

TLDR - background checks don't stop gun violence because most criminals get their guns by other means.
I've read all that literature from the NRA-ILA, which of course, is cherry picked data. It's what you expect from a lobbyist. They're going to make compelling and rational sounded arguments. That doesn't mean they're right.
There's a lot of "most murderers" get their guns illegally, and aren't in psych hospitals. And most killings come from this, not that.
But, the overarching point about the NRA-ILA is true, it lobbies against every effort to expand background checks, or include more data in background checks. We have seen several mass shootings where the shooter has been under psychiatric evaluation, or people close to them have had concerns about their mental health.
The idea that mass shooters aren't psychologically damaged seems ridiculous on the surface.

And one of the more awful lobbying efforts was the one to prevent research into gun violence. The Dickey Amendment was stupid and disgusting. Luckily, Congress restored the funding a couple years ago, and several research projects are in the works. People spend a lot of time and energy talking about gun violence, but they are basing their opinions on limited data and thoughtful research. That's because of the efforts of the NRA-ILA. I'm sticking with awful.
WEHRedux

Post by WEHRedux »

That's one of them.
What else?

I just read an article about a judge who ruled against Biden’s efforts to deny 2a rights to patients who use CBD and marijuana. What is the danger? They are not mentally ill.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

WEHRedux wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:40 am

That's one of them.
What else?

I just read an article about a judge who ruled against Biden’s efforts to deny 2a rights to patients who use CBD and marijuana. What is the danger? They are not mentally ill.
Strangely, in FL, the D agriculture commissioner who was fighting Biden's efforts, left office, and her replacement, an R, decided to take the FL Dept. of Agriculture out of the lawsuit.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

WEHRedux wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:40 am

That's one of them.
What else?

That’s the thing. You give these tyrants an inch and they take the mile. Every time.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

BLM Rioter Let Off With Probation Murders His Infant Son
https://nationalfile.com/blm-rioter-let ... nfant-son/
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:41 pm
BLM Rioter Let Off With Probation Murders His Infant Son
https://nationalfile.com/blm-rioter-let ... nfant-son/
It's the NRA's fault. :roll:
Salute the Marines
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Florida grandma killed in Orlando shooting sent frantic final text: 'He's shooting a gun'
Orlando suspect Lacorvis Tamar Daley allegedly killing three people, including grandmother Carole Fulmore and two children
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-gra ... ooting-gun

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

A weeklong workshop aimed at reducing gun violence in Boston concluded that most of the crimes were occurring among a small number of people in four neighborhoods, with primarily Black men harmed.

The data, compiled by the Boston Police Department, show serious violence was highly concentrated in Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan and Roxbury from 2018 to 2022, according to a presentation provided by the city.

Further, 84.6%, or roughly 115 of the city’s 136 homicide victims, and about 78%, or 49 of 63 homicide offenders from 2020-2022 were Black, with the majority of these crimes committed by or killing men in general.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/04/0 ... hborhoods/

Youts

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:22 pm
A weeklong workshop aimed at reducing gun violence in Boston concluded that most of the crimes were occurring among a small number of people in four neighborhoods, with primarily Black men harmed.

The data, compiled by the Boston Police Department, show serious violence was highly concentrated in Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan and Roxbury from 2018 to 2022, according to a presentation provided by the city.

Further, 84.6%, or roughly 115 of the city’s 136 homicide victims, and about 78%, or 49 of 63 homicide offenders from 2020-2022 were Black, with the majority of these crimes committed by or killing men in general.

Youts

You know what could fix this?
Defunding the police and refusing to prosecute criminals arrested by the few under-equipped police that they have. Crime will disappear in a rainbow of lefty dreamy delusion like magic.

Beetlejuice’s replacement’s got this! Believe!
Salute the Marines
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

4 killed, 28 injured in shooting at Alabama teen’s birthday party
https://nypost.com/2023/04/16/dadevill ... day-party/

dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

WEHRedux wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:00 am

Conservatives.

Next question?
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

dunwithtrump wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:25 pm

Conservatives.

Next question?
The left thinks men can have babies.

Next.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

dunwithtrump wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:25 pm

Conservatives.

Next question?

Were they?
You know that? (how?)
Salute the Marines
dunwithtrump

Post by dunwithtrump »

RiverguyVT wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:47 pm
Were they?
You know that? (how?)
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:38 pm

Youts

Defunding the police and refusing to prosecute criminals arrested by the few under-equipped police that they have. Crime will disappear in a rainbow of lefty dreamy delusion like magic.

Sounds like the mayor elect is describing a jail!

Statement from Mayor-Elect Brandon Johnson

"In no way do I condone the destructive activity we saw in the Loop and lakefront this weekend. It is unacceptable and has no place in our city. However, it is not constructive to demonize youth who have otherwise been starved of opportunities in their own communities.

Our city must work together to create spaces for youth to gather safely and responsibly, under adult guidance and supervision, to ensure that every part of our city remains welcome for both residents and visitors. This is one aspect of my comprehensive approach to improve public safety and make Chicago livable for everyone."
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:40 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:38 pm

Youts

Sounds like the mayor elect is describing a jail!

Statement from Mayor-Elect Brandon Johnson

"In no way do I condone the destructive activity we saw in the Loop and lakefront this weekend. It is unacceptable and has no place in our city. However, it is not constructive to demonize youth who have otherwise been starved of opportunities in their own communities.

Our city must work together to create spaces for youth to gather safely and responsibly, under adult guidance and supervision, to ensure that every part of our city remains welcome for both residents and visitors. This is one aspect of my comprehensive approach to improve public safety and make Chicago livable for everyone."
There is a culture issue no one wants to talk about for fear of being labeled.

But it exists nonetheless.

What the inner city youth needs are present and responsible fathers and mothers.