Federal Spending Up 40 Percent Since 2019

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Federal Spending Up 40 Percent Since 2019

Post by HokieHam »

"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HvilleHokie

Re: Federal Spending Up 40 Percent Since 2019

Post by HvilleHokie »

For those keeping track at home.. it was up 54 % for 2020 and 2021 (the trump budgets)… and down 14% for 2022-2023 (the Biden budgets)
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:44 pm For those keeping track at home.. it was up 54 % for 2020 and 2021 (the trump budgets)… and down 14% for 2022-2023 (the Biden budgets)
For those keeping track…….COVID……. :lol:
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

HokieHam wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:13 pm
HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:44 pm For those keeping track at home.. it was up 54 % for 2020 and 2021 (the trump budgets)… and down 14% for 2022-2023 (the Biden budgets)
So you don’t mind the 40% increase? Seems odd since you started the thread.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HvilleHokie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:31 pm
HokieHam wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:13 pm
So you don’t mind the 40% increase? Seems odd since you started the thread.
Where did I say that?

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Yep.

Drumpf~!'s biggest failure. Spending. He did a lot of good stuff, but like all the others in the last several decades, he spent like a drunken sailor. Bush II, as well. :twisted:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

That's a bizarre way to frame the increase.

"The main drivers of the recent increases have not been the largest three programs—Social Security, Medicare, and defense—but rather rapid growth in numerous other programs."

The top increases came from the largest programs, not other programs. The most egregious is the NonDefense Discretionary. Just goes to show cutting the deficit is going to require cutting Social, Medicare, and Medicaid. Cutting the "numerous other programs" doesn't get us anywhere. NonDefense Discretionary is worth a look and the easiest cut to defend.

Social Security $291M
NonDefense Discretionary $281M
Fed Interest $264M
Medicare $180M
Medicai $176M
Defense $124M
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieFanDC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:01 pm

"The main drivers of the recent increases have not been the largest three programs—Social Security, Medicare, and defense—but rather rapid growth in numerous other programs."

The top increases came from the largest programs, not other programs. The most egregious is the NonDefense Discretionary. Just goes to show cutting the deficit is going to require cutting Social, Medicare, and Medicaid. Cutting the "numerous other programs" doesn't get us anywhere. NonDefense Discretionary is worth a look and the easiest cut to defend.

Social Security $291M
Fed Interest $264M
Medicare $180M
Medicai $176M
Defense $124M
I hear ya.

If I were king-for-a-day, Ukraine would be cut off or cut way way waayyyy back.
Entitlements are what they are. I sure as hell wouldn't be buying all the student loans and 'forgiving" them.

Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:27 pm

Social Security $291M
Fed Interest $264M
Medicare $180M
Medicai $176M
Defense $124M
I hear ya.

Entitlements are what they are. I sure as hell wouldn't be buying all the student loans and 'forgiving" them.

I'm in favor of cutting back Ukraine help.
I'm OK with some changes to entitlements - gradually increasing retirement age, automatic corrections when the funding falls behind, etc.
Student loan forgiveness, no way.
fatman

Post by fatman »

RiverguyVT wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:27 pm

Social Security $291M
Fed Interest $264M
Medicare $180M
Medicai $176M
Defense $124M
I hear ya.

The only DOD cuts would be Ukraine? Probably the greatest ROI of any DOD spending I. The pst 50 years?
Not our bases all over the mid east or Africa or Latin America?
Not the huge investment securing the KSA or whatever the bell we are doing guarding oil fields in Syria?

You would cut off Ukraine as they are defending themselves from genocide in Europe.

bizarre set of priorities.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

fatman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:22 am
The only DOD cuts would be Ukraine? Probably the greatest ROI of any DOD spending I. The pst 50 years?
Not the huge investment securing the KSA or whatever the bell we are doing guarding oil fields in Syria?

You would cut off Ukraine as they are defending themselves from genocide in Europe.

Only DOD cuts- where do I say that? There is a ton of DOD waste. We need to get back to the mission of defense.

ROI - Good grief, you will obviously never stop using this ridiculous term in context with Ukraine. It is beyond silly.
Salute the Marines
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:08 pm

Only DOD cuts- where do I say that? There is a ton of DOD waste. We need to get back to the mission of defense.

ROI - Good grief, you will obviously never stop using this ridiculous term in context with Ukraine. It is beyond silly.
I want to say 60 Minutes did a story on DOD waste…..and it’s once again how they get charged 200x cost of an item due to all the red tape, steps, etc. to sell to them. Start there and they could get so much more bang for their buck. Then work your way through all the other waste.

Let Europe throw more money at Ukraine……not us. We keep ramping it up.

Entitlements need to have something attached to them for anyone who is able-bodied……period.

fatman

Post by fatman »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:42 pm

I want to say 60 Minutes did a story on DOD waste…..and it’s once again how they get charged 200x cost of an item due to all the red tape, steps, etc. to sell to them. Start there and they could get so much more bang for their buck. Then work your way through all the other waste.

Entitlements need to have something attached to them for anyone who is able-bodied……period.
Our lend/lease is delivering solid ROI as we spend modest sums to obliterate Russia’s military.

We’ve wasted Trillions in the Middle East securing oil production. If you care about managing DOD spending that’s where the massive waste and poor ROI is centered.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

fatman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:08 pm

Our lend/lease is delivering solid ROI as we spend modest sums to obliterate Russia’s military.

We’ve wasted Trillions in the Middle East securing oil production. If you care about managing DOD spending that’s where the massive waste and poor ROI is centered.
No it’s not.

ROI……lol

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Lend/Lease - Nothing is lent, nothing is leased. Nothing. We'll get nothing back, and will receive no payments.

Solid ROI - on the "feels". You cannot measure "return" so you cannot measure "ROI". It is stupid to keep parroting that term in this context. You're made to feel snuggly about the Ukraine war we've entered, so that's a good return- your snuggly feels.

Modest sums - there is nothing modest about the money being poured into and wasted in Ukraine.
Salute the Marines
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:37 pm

Lend/Lease - Nothing is lent, nothing is leased. Nothing. We'll get nothing back, and will receive no payments.

Solid ROI - on the "feels". You cannot measure "return" so you cannot measure "ROI". It is stupid to keep parroting that term in this context. You're made to feel snuggly about the Ukraine war we've entered, so that's a good return- your snuggly feels.

Modest sums - there is nothing modest about the money being poured into and wasted in Ukraine.
First, just because you can’t measure the return doesn’t mean there isn’t return. Therefore ROI is applicable.. even if it is unmeasurable.

Second, I think you can measure return.. or at least approximate it. Loss of Russian assets, an American enemy, is measurable.

Third, lend/lease is a term that has been around since the aftermath of ww2. It applies even if it isn’t literally true.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Lend/Lease has been effectively used by the US for close to a decade. Without lend/lease from the powerful US, Russia would have been rolled by the nazis. Similarly without lend/lease, Putin would have achieved his stated goal and be right on Polands border.

There is a measure or ROI for lend/lease in Ukraine and it is magnificent. The US is dropping a modest 5% of DOD spend and degrading Eussian military potential by > 50%. Zero American combat deaths. Even Lindsey Graham said “best money we ever spent”

Yes. The sums are modest. 5% of DOD spend, mostly old stuff that was gonna be mothballed anyway.

Compare that with the Trillions we’ve wasted protecting the flow of oil in the Middle East or nation building in places idiots like Bush felt he could push into liberal democracies at gunpoint. All those lives and trillions are wasted. Ukraine is an actual liberal democracy, so it’s great to see us helping them.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

fatman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:18 pm

Lend/Lease has been effectively used by the US for close to a decade. Without lend/lease from the powerful US, Russia would have been rolled by the nazis. Similarly without lend/lease, Putin would have achieved his stated goal and be right on Polands border.

There is a measure or ROI for lend/lease in Ukraine and it is magnificent. The US is dropping a modest 5% of DOD spend and degrading Eussian military potential by > 50%. Zero American combat deaths. Even Lindsey Graham said “best money we ever spent”

Yes. The sums are modest. 5% of DOD spend, mostly old stuff that was gonna be mothballed anyway.

Compare that with the Trillions we’ve wasted protecting the flow of oil in the Middle East or nation building in places idiots like Bush felt he could push into liberal democracies at gunpoint. All those lives and trillions are wasted. Ukraine is an actual liberal democracy, so it’s great to see us helping them.

Laughably stupid and glorious self-irony considering the reasons why we're dumping billions into Ukraine. What was the ROI on Afghanistan after your POS president pulled us out so dishonorably?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HvilleHokie wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:45 pm

First, just because you can’t measure the return doesn’t mean there isn’t return. Therefore ROI is applicable.. even if it is unmeasurable.

Second, I think you can measure return.. or at least approximate it. Loss of Russian assets, an American enemy, is measurable.

Third, lend/lease is a term that has been around since the aftermath of ww2. It applies even if it isn’t literally true.

Doublespeak. ROI is a fiscal term and it is measurable. Just because leftist clowns like fatmad throw it around doesn't make it a legitimate term in this context. Cost/benefit or trade offs are the words you're looking for.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:42 am

Doublespeak. ROI is a fiscal term and it is measurable. Just because leftist clowns like fatmad throw it around doesn't make it a legitimate term in this context. Cost/benefit or trade offs are the words you're looking for.
The Orwellian NewSpeak is thick with these types…..

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:49 am
HokieJoe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:42 am

The Orwellian NewSpeak is thick with these types…..
Sure is.
fatman

Post by fatman »

HokieJoe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:36 am

Laughably stupid and glorious self-irony considering the reasons why we're dumping billions into Ukraine. What was the ROI on Afghanistan after your POS president pulled us out so dishonorably?
The ROI for going into Afghanistan and pouring trillions in over 20 years was awful. It was negative. 1000s of dead Americans, Trillions of $. No return.

Iraq was even worse. Horrible return on our investment of human lives and $$.

Lend/lease in Ukraine has produced the best ROI for DOD in decades. Zero American troops fighting, >1000% less spending than Iraq. In return, Russia’s military capabilities are reduced by more than 50%.

It’s very simple. Return on investment is the gain per unit of expenditure. In Ukraine that # is off the charts to the +.

In Iraq the ROI was horrific.
In Afghanistan, it was disastrous.
Defending the prince of Saudi Arabia….horrible ROI.
Defending oil fields in Iraq, Syria, etc….horrible ROI.

The trump/Biden plan to cut loses in Afghanistan was actually not a bad decision.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

fatman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:59 am

The ROI for going into Afghanistan and pouring trillions in over 20 years was awful. It was negative. 1000s of dead Americans, Trillions of $. No return.

Lend/lease in Ukraine has produced the best ROI for DOD in decades. Zero American troops fighting, >1000% less spending than Iraq. In return, Russia’s military capabilities are reduced by more than 50%.

It’s very simple. Return on investment is the gain per unit of expenditure. In Ukraine that # is off the charts to the +.

The trump/Biden plan to cut loses in Afghanistan was actually not a bad decision.

You're parroting bullsh!t again, fatmad, using terms you don't understand. ROI is measurable, so not applicable to a word you wrote.

I notice you ignored the dishonor in how we withdrew from Afghanistan. It was disgraceful and decidedly un-American. I also see you ignored the part about why we're in Yooookrayne to begin with.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:15 am

You're parroting bullsh!t again, fatmad, using terms you don't understand. ROI is measurable, so not applicable to a word you wrote.

I notice you ignored the dishonor in how we withdrew from Afghanistan. It was disgraceful and decidedly un-American. I also see you ignored the part about why we're in Yooookrayne to begin with.
Amazing how that works. Almost like they get their propaganda spoon fed by the MOT……like Mittens. See the other thread. DrumpF! could have pharted and these two would have screamed it was Russian Collusion……they were both Tru believers during all that BS. Now they’re defending XiDing in the other thread. F’ing hilarious.

fatman

Post by fatman »

HokieJoe wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:15 am

First of all, WE aren’t in Ukraine. We are supporting them via lend/lease. We are seeing massive ROI for lend/lease. Ukraine has fought Putin to basically a tie. If WE were there, you would know. Russia’s navy would be sunk and their air force obliterated before the weekend ends.

The destruction of Russia’s military capability is easily measurable. They’ve lost 200,000 men, thousands of tanks, 100s of aircraft. The flag shop of their Black Sea fleet is on the floor of the sea. All documented. All measurable.

The trump/Biden plan to withdrawal from Ukraine was indeed embarrassing. It’s a minor sin, the mortal sin is wasting thousands of American lives and Trillions of dollars with no plan of success. You have it all wrong. At least now we have stopped hemorrhaging American lives and taxpayer dollars over there. We are better off now than we were 4 years ago when we were burning massive piles of $$$$.