Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re: Stuff's getting real.

Post by HokieJoe »

Mitt Romney wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:31 am Image

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
How, ironic.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:09 pm
Mitt Romney wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:31 am Image

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
How, ironic.
He’s not that bright.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

Romans 13
13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

“I believe that there have been two nations that have been created to glorify God. Israel, whom we bless, and the United States of America,” Boebert said in June. “And this nation will glorify God.”

The congresswoman told Christians at a right-wing religious conference last year to “speak up” for God and to remove “unrighteous politicians, these corrupt, crooked politicians” while installing “righteous men and women of God in their place.”

“Christian nationalism is a means of persuading a large subsection of the American public to vote for the political candidates that the movement favors, and thus empower movement leaders and enshrine the policies they want in our laws and society,” Stewart said. “Movement leaders want power and political access, policies that favor certain ‘approved’ religious and political viewpoints and access to private and public money.”

3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification:2 that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

^^^ Mitt got whooshed by his own post^^

Even so, I’m beginning to really like that you are at least trying to understand scripture. That is commendable. It is.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:00 pm ^^^ Mitt got whooshed by his own post^^

Even so, I’m beginning to really like that you are at least trying to understand scripture. That is commendable. It is.
Scripture is only applicable to Republicans! :lol: :lol:

I love all the outrage over CN. ‘Member when 80 was blowing a gasket over it? Yet these tools don’t realize there is NO neutrality. None. Period.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieHam wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:24 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:00 pm ^^^ Mitt got whooshed by his own post^^

I love all the outrage over CN. ‘Member when 80 was blowing a gasket over it? Yet these tools don’t realize there is NO neutrality. None. Period.
Who do you reckon this "Stewart" is that he quotes, that is so afraid of some imagined "Christian nationalism" movement?
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Mitt Romney wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:40 pm “I believe that there have been two nations that have been created to glorify God. Israel, whom we bless, and the United States of America,” Boebert said in June. “And this nation will glorify God.”

The congresswoman told Christians at a right-wing religious conference last year to “speak up” for God and to remove “unrighteous politicians, these corrupt, crooked politicians” while installing “righteous men and women of God in their place.”

“Christian nationalism is a means of persuading a large subsection of the American public to vote for the political candidates that the movement favors, and thus empower movement leaders and enshrine the policies they want in our laws and society,” Stewart said. “Movement leaders want power and political access, policies that favor certain ‘approved’ religious and political viewpoints and access to private and public money.”

3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification:2 that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,

I always knew she would be little Minx!

Meanwhile, the 'Mayor' of Burbank California:

Image1
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Mitt Romney wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:40 pm “I believe that there have been two nations that have been created to glorify God. Israel, whom we bless, and the United States of America,” Boebert said in June. “And this nation will glorify God.”

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:08 pm
HokieHam wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:24 pm

Who do you reckon this "Stewart" is that he quotes, that is so afraid of some imagined "Christian nationalism" movement?
Who knows. He won’t post a link.

Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

The Bible says God created mankind “in his own image.” But many alleged conservatives invert that. They create the deity in their image, a God who thinks and acts like them, who bears their limitations and biases, their solipsism and illogicality, their mendacity and abiding fear.

It’s not hard to understand why they create God in their own image. If God is just like you, it makes life a lot easier. If God is just like you, you already are everything you need to be. So there’s no cause to work, challenge, stretch or pray yourself into becoming a better, humbler, gentler, kinder, more liberal and generous soul. You don’t have to care about the plight of the stranger, the hungry, the broken, the unhoused, the immigrant at the border. If God is just like you, you can be self-satisfied and judgmental instead.

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Mitt Romney wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:00 am The Bible says God created mankind “in his own image.” But many alleged conservatives invert that. They create the deity in their image, a God who thinks and acts like them, who bears their limitations and biases, their solipsism and illogicality, their mendacity and abiding fear.

It’s not hard to understand why they create God in their own image. If God is just like you, it makes life a lot easier. If God is just like you, you already are everything you need to be. So there’s no cause to work, challenge, stretch or pray yourself into becoming a better, humbler, gentler, kinder, more liberal and generous soul. You don’t have to care about the plight of the stranger, the hungry, the broken, the unhoused, the immigrant at the border. If God is just like you, you can be self-satisfied and judgmental instead.

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
I can agree with that... but certainly wouldn't limit it to "alleged conservatives" but would open it up to pretty much everyone.

I mean... look @ Gushee as a prime example.
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Mitt Romney wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:00 am The Bible says God created mankind “in his own image.” But many alleged conservatives invert that. They create the deity in their image, a God who thinks and acts like them, who bears their limitations and biases, their solipsism and illogicality, their mendacity and abiding fear.

What a load of leftist bullsh!t. Original sin has nothing to do with imagery, Mittens.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HokieJoe wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:30 pm

What a load of leftist bullsh!t. Original sin has nothing to do with imagery, Mittens.

I dunno Joe. This comes up w the nut jobs that say “God is a woman” or “God is black/white” or “Jesus looked like one of The Bee Gees.”

God made me in his image. But when I say something like (see Gushee) “Jesus fully supports/encourages homosexuality” that is Gushee making Jesus into Gushee’s own passing whims and views. Gushee’s faulty image. God is unchanging.

Mitt is missing that he just blew apart some of his earlier posts in this same thread.
Salute the Marines
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

RiverguyVT wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:31 pm

I dunno Joe. This comes up w the nut jobs that say “God is a woman” or “God is black/white” or “Jesus looked like one of The Bee Gees.”

God made me in his image. But when I say something like (see Gushee) “Jesus fully supports/encourages homosexuality” that is Gushee making Jesus into Gushee’s own passing whims and views. Gushee’s faulty image. God is unchanging.

Mitt is missing that he just blew apart some of his earlier posts in this same thread.

Logically, if you are a Christian, everyone is cast in God's image. Image does not equal sins. Behavior = sins. Yes?

It's just a purposeful mischaracterization of the central issue of Christianity, IMO.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:31 pm

Logically, if you are a Christian, everyone is cast in God's image. Image does not equal sins. Behavior = sins. Yes?

It's just a purposeful mischaracterization of the central issue of Christianity, IMO.
Yes. Image of God is not a “physical” image, but that we are made in His likeness. It is a likeness of His shared attributes. The ability to love, etc….. Behavior does = sins, but we are also fallen creatures in Adam, thus the need for Christ. For every human.

Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

I get it. The New Testament/Jesus is just a bit too woke.

Let's turn those pages back.

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Mitt Romney wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:18 am I get it. The New Testament/Jesus is just a bit too woke.

Let's turn those pages back.

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.
LOL!
Please. Do find me the NT passage where Jesus proclaimed "healthcare for all". Or feminism.

This is a perfect example of what your post just before this one, was all about. Men (moveOn dot org in this case) making God into their own image, what they want God to be, rather than men making themselves more like God.

But please do keep reading that Bible. Being "Republican" is nothing at all about being "Christian" and being Christian is nothing at all about being Republican.

LOL
Mitt Romney wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:18 am I get it.
Uh, no, no you don't...
Salute the Marines
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

Speaking of LOL. The source of our problems seems self evident.

More than half of Republicans see former President Donald Trump as a person of faith, putting him ahead of more vocally religious figures like his former vice president, Mike Pence, according to a new national poll conducted by HarrisX for the Deseret News.

Registered voters were asked whether they considered a list of political figures people of faith. Trump rose to the top of the list for Republicans, while President Joe Biden topped the list for Democrats. Among independents, Sen. Mitt Romney was most likely to be chosen as a person of faith.

Among Republicans, 53% said Trump was a person of faith, ahead of every other person on the list — although he was statistically tied with Pence, who came in at 52%.

Galatians 5:19-21
New International Version
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

Steering clear of that 'woke' New Testament...

29 At midnight the LORD struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well. 30 Pharaoh and all his officials and all the Egyptians got up during the night, and there was loud wailing in Egypt, for there was not a house without someone dead.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Mitt Romney wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:32 pm Steering clear of that 'woke' New Testament...

29 At midnight the LORD struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well. 30 Pharaoh and all his officials and all the Egyptians got up during the night, and there was loud wailing in Egypt, for there was not a house without someone dead.
You can't be this mentally deficient.
Or, maybe you can. :idea:
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Mitt Romney wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:22 pm Speaking of LOL. The source of our problems seems self evident.

More than half of Republicans see former President Donald Trump as a person of faith, putting him ahead of more vocally religious figures like his former vice president, Mike Pence, according to a new national poll conducted by HarrisX for the Deseret News.

Registered voters were asked whether they considered a list of political figures people of faith. Trump rose to the top of the list for Republicans, while President Joe Biden topped the list for Democrats. Among independents, Sen. Mitt Romney was most likely to be chosen as a person of faith.

Among Republicans, 53% said Trump was a person of faith, ahead of every other person on the list — although he was statistically tied with Pence, who came in at 52%.

Galatians 5:19-21
New International Version
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
citing a Mormon-owned newspaper. LOL. Nice.

I like the Galatians quote, though. Yes siree.
Salute the Marines
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

8 Yes, this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. 9 They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the Lord.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Mitt Romney wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:30 pm 8 Yes, this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: “Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. 9 They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them,” declares the Lord.
Amen!
Jeremiah!
That's exactly what I'm talking about in my OP.
Message of hope to the captives. Jeremiah is so very relevant to our present situation.

Two thumbs up, Mittster.
Salute the Marines
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

36 “But he who sins against me injures himself; All those who hate me love death.”
Attachments
IMG_4564.png
IMG_4564.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 255 times