Scalise dropping out?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Scalise dropping out?

Post by RiverguyVT »

I’m surprised.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Mitt Romney

Re: Scalise dropping out?

Post by Mitt Romney »

The party that wants to govern the US cannot govern itself.

Or is it the adage that Republicans campaign on government not working and then spend their term making sure it doesn't.

If we're only going to have two parties, they need to function.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Mitt Romney wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:15 pm The party that wants to govern the US cannot govern itself.

Or is it the adage that Republicans campaign on government not working and then spend their term making sure it doesn't.

I can totally get that perspective.
Another is that the system IS working, It is how the sausage is made. Our system was set up to be intentionally disparate.
Salute the Marines
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:14 pm
Mitt Romney wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:15 pm The party that wants to govern the US cannot govern itself.

Another is that the system IS working, It is how the sausage is made. Our system was set up to be intentionally disparate.
Exactly. Real "democracy" is supposed to be messy. It's not supposed to be a group or party of people that all fall in line and have a hive mind (i.e. the Democrat party). If everyone is thinking exactly the same, then someone is not thinking at all.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

UpstateSCHokie wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:25 pm
RiverguyVT wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:14 pm

Exactly. Real "democracy" is supposed to be messy. It's not supposed to be a group or party of people that all fall in line and have a hive mind (i.e. the Democrat party). If everyone is thinking exactly the same, then someone is not thinking at all.

Interesting take that doesn't seem to apply to many other scenarios where party line votes are the norm. My take would be that we should have 4 political parties and put the wing nuts in their own baskets.
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

This approach isn't "real democracy" - it's media stunts for talk show appearances. Lack of substance. 16 years without leading a single bill.to legislation? :lol:

But tomato, tomahto I guess....

Rep. Jim Jordan is on the cusp of becoming the next speaker of the House of Representatives without ever getting a bill signed into law that he personally introduced.

According to Congress' online legislative tracker, Jordan's introduced just 30 bills in total throughout his time in office. The failed bills include his attempt to restrict Washington, DC's municipal government from issuing same-sex marriage licenses, "restore Second Amendment rights" to the city, and making a federal law stating that life begins at conception.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Mitt Romney wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:18 pm This approach isn't "real democracy" - it's media stunts for talk show appearances. Lack of substance. 16 years without leading a single bill.to legislation? :lol:

Rep. Jim Jordan is on the cusp of becoming the next speaker of the House of Representatives without ever getting a bill signed into law that he personally introduced.

According to Congress' online legislative tracker, Jordan's introduced just 30 bills in total throughout his time in office. The failed bills include his attempt to restrict Washington, DC's municipal government from issuing same-sex marriage licenses, "restore Second Amendment rights" to the city, and making a federal law stating that life begins at conception.
The fall of the GOP is almost complete.
Jim Jordan? Really? One of the worst Congressmen there has ever been.
Nutjob conspiracy theorist. Lying sack of crap. And completely ineffectual in everything he's ever tried to do.
Let's hope he fails, but I'm not confident that the loons in the GOP won't put the final dagger in it's heart.

Exaggeration? Sure. But, this guy isn't a conservative, and he isn't a good human being. He's a fool and a charlatan. And he's the choice right now? This is what you get when you vote for personality over substance.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:12 pm
Mitt Romney wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:18 pm This approach isn't "real democracy" - it's media stunts for talk show appearances. Lack of substance. 16 years without leading a single bill.to legislation? :lol:

Nutjob conspiracy theorist. Lying sack of crap. And completely ineffectual in everything he's ever tried to do.
Let's hope he fails, but I'm not confident that the loons in the GOP won't put the final dagger in it's heart.

Exaggeration? Sure. But, this guy isn't a conservative, and he isn't a good human being. He's a fool and a charlatan. And he's the choice right now? This is what you get when you vote for personality over substance.

:lol:

Unintentional comedy is your strong suit.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

I’m good with this taking months. “We need to hurry so we can fund MOAR WAR!”
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

HokieJoe wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:59 pm

I'm guessing you were a big Gym Jordan for speaker guy, with "were" being the operative word there.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HooFighter wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:31 pm

I'm guessing you were a big Gym Jordan for speaker guy, with "were" being the operative word there.

I'm not anti gYM jOrDaN or pro. HFDC often tries to out Steve Schmidt, Steve Schmidt, which always a bad idea.

There's a war within the Republican party. It was long overdue and necessary. We're $31 trillion debt. IIRC, our debt service is 30-40% of the annual budget. There is no more time for spineless cowards in Congress.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:29 pm

I'm not anti gYM jOrDaN or pro. HFDC often tries to out Steve Schmidt, Steve Schmidt, which always a bad idea.

There's a war within the Republican party. It was long overdue and necessary. We're $31 trillion debt. IIRC, our debt service is 30-40% of the annual budget. There is no more time for spineless cowards in Congress.
LOL Joe. There's a minor skirmish and it has nothing to do with the debt. The Freedom Caucus supports/supported the last POTUS who didn't do anything other than explode the debt even more, and ushered in the worst foreign trade policy in our lifetime.

Of course, that isn't the issue with Jordan. He's just a loudmouth. The problem with Jordan is that he hasn't sponsored a single piece of legislation that's gotten passed. 16 years in office, and nothing to show for it. And what the country needs is someone who can actually get bills passed, and get a budget passed. He's as bad as it gets when it comes to getting legislation passed.
Steve Schmidt? Derp. That's a deflecting NPC comment if there ever has been one.
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

Republicans care about the debt. :D :D :D :D :D

Did see an amusing summary that "Republicans have no legislative ideas, and Democrats only have bad ones."yay for political parties.....
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Mitt Romney wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:46 pm

Republicans care about the debt. :D :D :D :D :D

Did see an amusing summary that "Republicans have no legislative ideas, and Democrats only have bad ones."yay for political parties.....

Republicans (establishment sh!theads like McConnell) have not cared about the debt. Neither have Democrat establishment sh!theads.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:23 pm

LOL Joe. There's a minor skirmish and it has nothing to do with the debt. The Freedom Caucus supports/supported the last POTUS who didn't do anything other than explode the debt even more, and ushered in the worst foreign trade policy in our lifetime.

Of course, that isn't the issue with Jordan. He's just a loudmouth. The problem with Jordan is that he hasn't sponsored a single piece of legislation that's gotten passed. 16 years in office, and nothing to show for it. And what the country needs is someone who can actually get bills passed, and get a budget passed. He's as bad as it gets when it comes to getting legislation passed.
Steve Schmidt? Derp. That's a deflecting NPC comment if there ever has been one.

That sounds more palatable, but it isn't reality. The fight is over Congress's refusal to do their damn jobs. They hate budgets and they hate single issue bills because it makes them responsible for their votes come election day. They'd rather lie about what they did or will do than be exposed by their voting records.

Every American, without regard to party affiliation, should demand that these omnibus bills and debt limit increases die in a fire. What have now is far worse than simple sausage grinding. It's deriliction of their duties.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:23 am

That sounds more palatable, but it isn't reality. The fight is over Congress's refusal to do their damn jobs. They hate budgets and they hate single issue bills because it makes them responsible for their votes come election day. They'd rather lie about what they did or will do than be exposed by their voting records.

Every American, without regard to party affiliation, should demand that these omnibus bills and debt limit increases die in a fire. What have now is far worse than simple sausage grinding. It's deriliction of their duties.
You voted for them. You're not demanding anything.

The demand should be term limits and a reversal of Citizens United.
Without that, you're just wasting every second of your time talking about anything else.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:38 am

Without that, you're just wasting every second of your time talking about anything else.

The only way you're going to have a chance to change anything is to work with what you have- two parties. Unless you think electing Evan McMuffin or some other protest vote doofus is more likely to effect change than working within the confines of reality. It sucks, but IIWII.

Voters are responsible for term limits, but I'm OK with putting some physical and mental competency limitations on candidates. Citizens United was a sh!t ruling-as I've said before. That doesn't change anything I said in my prior post.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:55 am
HokieFanDC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:38 am

The only way you're going to have a chance to change anything is to work with what you have- two parties. Unless you think electing Evan McMuffin or some other protest vote doofus is more likely to effect change than working within the confines of reality. It sucks, but IIWII.

Voters are responsible for term limits, but I'm OK with putting some physical and mental competency limitations on candidates. Citizens United was a sh!t ruling-as I've said before. That doesn't change anything I said in my prior post.
In a thread about the Speaker, you aren't pro- or anti- Jordan. That's ridiculous. You have to work with a 2 party system. Jordan has no clue how to manage that. He's 0 for everything.
As for a doofus vs. someone like Trump, the doofus is better. Trump has zero chance of getting anything accomplished. He's almost as clueless as Jordan regarding managing change. At the very least, you have to vote for a POTUS that wants to lower the debt.
Trump doesn't.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

All the hand wringers can breathe a sigh of relief!😂😂😂
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Mitt Romney

Post by Mitt Romney »

Louisiana...

Whelp, now they can get back to important stuff like Hunters laptop, putting a bow on Benghazi, and fighting "woke" where ever it may hide!
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Mitt Romney wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:09 pm Louisiana...

Whelp, now they can get back to important stuff like Hunters laptop, putting a bow on Benghazi, and fighting "woke" where ever it may hide!
Meh, Johnson is better than Jordan. I'll call it progress and move on.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Mike Johnson > Kevin McCarthy
Salute the Marines
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Thanks for the Uniparty perspective!

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

RiverguyVT wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:20 pm Mike Johnson > Kevin McCarthy
Correct.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

When the CIC is on the take and compromised, you can mock it, but it is of supreme & immeasurable importance.

Salute the Marines