Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

'Big Mike' will replace Joe Biden in August. Discuss

Post by HokieJoe »

60/40 odds it happens. They DNC will not put her in a debate with Trump.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Re: 'Big Mike' will replace Joe Biden in August. Discuss

Post by HokieHam »

I’ve heard numerous scenarios. Who knows. Newsome, Whitmer and her. I don’t think any of them could get elected…..and I pray I’m right. Obeezy’s fundamental change is playing out right now and I know he’s got his little twisted fingers in the current non-Admin.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

The next Dem nominee will be...Nikki Haley! 😜
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Major Kong wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:57 am The next Dem nominee will be...Nikki Haley! 😜
Yet there were those AWOLS who would tell us she’s not a RINO…..LOL. She’s a damn neocon.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:58 am
Major Kong wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:57 am The next Dem nominee will be...Nikki Haley! 😜
Yet there were those AWOLS who would tell us she’s not a RINO…..LOL. She’s a damn neocon.
Merry New Year Ham!

The idea that she's a RINO isn't backed by facts or her policies.
People calling her RINO are simply easily manipulated by the Trump campaign.

It's laughable that anyone supporting Trump, acts like they care about someone actually being a conservative.
Trump certainly isn't a conservative and isn't a Republican. He simply chose the party that was most easily duped by his blathering nonsense.

As it is, the opportunity to choose a GOP candidate that could beat Biden, and actually do something to help America, is slipping away.

May already be too late. The GOP has lost it's way.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:05 am
Merry New Year Ham!

It's laughable that anyone supporting Trump, acts like they care about someone actually being a conservative.
Trump certainly isn't a conservative and isn't a Republican. He simply chose the party that was most easily duped by his blathering nonsense.

As it is, the opportunity to choose a GOP candidate that could beat Biden, and actually do something to help America, is slipping away.

Happy New Year, DC!

1. Why do you think I care about the Pub Party in its current iteration? It needs a total and complete enema to actually be an opposition party. Tangerine Hitler is that enema. The GOP lost its way a long time ago. Burn it down and start over.
2. See Rand’s comments in the other thread. She’s a neocon and wants to start wars that BOM was supposed to start. She’s an establishment whore. Her recent interviews have not been good when it comes to certain issues.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

LOL
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
WEHRedux
Party: Libertarian

Post by WEHRedux »

Merry New Year Ham!

Who should be the Republican nominee? Anyone you want- doesn’t have to be someone currently running or has run…
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

The Obeezy party has crossed the line one time too many. No border, massive inflation due to their insane belief in MMT(budgets don't matter), censorship everywhere, and they encourage this woke crap.

The brain dead, over educated and frail women, take their daughters to see 50 year old men dress up as woman and think they are brave.

It's finally over imho.

I am only hoping RFK Jr can get to about 36% and he will take the prize.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:47 pm The Obeezy party has crossed the line one time too many. No border, massive inflation due to their insane belief in MMT(budgets don't matter), censorship everywhere, and they encourage this woke crap.

The brain dead, over educated and frail women, take their daughters to see 50 year old men dress up as woman and think they are brave.

It's finally over imho.

I am only hoping RFK Jr can get to about 36% and he will take the prize.
Hell, to be honest, I’d be fine with that too. I’m at the point of “just screw it”. I want the most disruptive person to be elected…….

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:12 pm
Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

1. Why do you think I care about the Pub Party in its current iteration? It needs a total and complete enema to actually be an opposition party. Tangerine Hitler is that enema. The GOP lost its way a long time ago. Burn it down and start over.
2. See Rand’s comments in the other thread. She’s a neocon and wants to start wars that BOM was supposed to start. She’s an establishment whore. Her recent interviews have not been good when it comes to certain issues.
Trump isn't that guy, not even close. He had 4 years to make positive changes. After 4 years of Trump, the current GOP is the worst it's been in my lifetime. It's full of feckless, emotional children. Because their leader is a feckless, emotional child.

Haley leans into wars way too easily. But other than that, she's a strong conservative, and certainly way more conservative than Trump, who doesn't actually have any beliefs outside of his own self.
The "anti-establishment" label for Trump is stupid. He hired the same old retreads and talking heads that have been in politics for years, and chose the worst ones.
Haley isn't anymore establishment than Trump, other than the fact that Trump talks a lot about it, even though his actions don't follow his words. Which is par for the course.
He's a carnival barker. It's amazing people still fall for his shtick.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:59 pm
Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

Trump isn't that guy, not even close. He had 4 years to make positive changes. After 4 years of Trump, the current GOP is the worst it's been in my lifetime. It's full of feckless, emotional children. Because their leader is a feckless, emotional child.

Haley leans into wars way too easily. But other than that, she's a strong conservative, and certainly way more conservative than Trump, who doesn't actually have any beliefs outside of his own self.
The "anti-establishment" label for Trump is stupid. He hired the same old retreads and talking heads that have been in politics for years, and chose the worst ones.
Haley isn't anymore establishment than Trump, other than the fact that Trump talks a lot about it, even though his actions don't follow his words. Which is par for the course.
No. He IS that guy. He’s a bull in a china shop. Good. See my comment above.

You just repeat the same stuff. The establishment is trying to destroy him, in case you haven’t noticed…….

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:54 am
Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

You just repeat the same stuff. The establishment is trying to destroy him, in case you haven’t noticed…….
He was in charge for 4 years. He didn't accomplish anything to get rid of the establishment. He just elevated a bunch of dumbasses to hero status and made the GOP dumber.

And LOL @YOU talking about repeating the same stuff. It's all you've done all day, every day for 7 years.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:42 am

Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

He was in charge for 4 years. He didn't accomplish anything to get rid of the establishment. He just elevated a bunch of dumbasses to hero status and made the GOP dumber.

And LOL @YOU talking about repeating the same stuff. It's all you've done all day, every day for 7 years.
Yeah. I have to repeat my position on DrumpF! Because you continually ignore it. It F’ing tiresome.

I don’t care WHAT he does if he gets in again. I just want the shockwaves.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:47 am

Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

Yeah. I have to repeat my position on DrumpF! Because you continually ignore it. It F’ing tiresome.

Ur position is silly and should be ignored.
Trump's Presidency ended up resembling every other POTUS. More spending. More pandering.
Shockwave. LOL. More like an extended shart.
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:53 am
Happy New Year, DC!

Naw. You’re for the status quo. You think Nikki Haley would be great. She’ll surround herself with even MOAR establishment types than DrumpF! did in his first run.

Yes. Shockwave. All of you suffering from TDS will be stunned if he wins.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

:lol:

Nikki Haley is an idiot.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... y-00127612
The Implosion of Nikki Haley’s Social Media Crusade

Her call to ban anonymous posting is foolish, impractical and downright unpatriotic.

Republican presidential candidate and former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley speaks at the Republican Jewish Coalition in Las Vegas.

Nikki Haley said banning anonymous accounts would get “rid of the Russian bots, the Iranian bots and the Chinese bots.” | John Locher/AP

Presidential candidate Nikki Haley did free speech a great service this week by making a nutty call for social media to be bleached clean of anonymity.

“Every person on social media should be verified, by their name. That’s, first of all, it’s a national security threat,” Haley said Tuesday on Fox News, because it can spread misinformation. Banning anonymous accounts would get “rid of the Russian bots, the Iranian bots and the Chinese bots,” she continued. On the Ruthless podcast that day, Haley reiterated her pitch: “They need to verify every single person on their outlet, and I want it by name.”

Haley earned immediate broadsides from two of her Republican opponents. Vivek Ramaswamy waved the free speech flag as he denounced her proposal as censorship. Ron DeSantis reminded her that the Federalist Papers were written anonymously. Journalists and activists unloaded with more of the same, including Glenn Greenwald, Charlie Kirk and Dana Loesch.

By Wednesday, Haley had softened her harsh proposal, saying, “I don’t mind anonymous American people having free speech; what I don’t like is anonymous Russians and Chinese and Iranians having free speech.”

Haley’s proposal crumpled under the most gentle scrutiny. In order to prove that you’re an American worthy of anonymous speech under her regime, wouldn’t you have to … identify yourself, thereby losing your anonymity? And that’s for starters. Would such a government-mandated scheme be legal? Probably not. Is the plague of anonymous misinformation somehow unique to the internet, requiring special rules for it? No. How practical would it be to identify every social media account by name? Not very. And if we said to hell with practicality and deployed the Haley plan, what would we lose?

Haley’s education must have forgone not only law but history. The right to anonymous speech goes back to the founding of our country when anonymous pamphleteers made their case for independence. Although not an absolute right, anonymity is bound tightly to the freedom of the press and has proven invaluable to the citizenry, especially the disenfranchised. Haley’s scheme would easily violate certain legal rights to privacy established by the courts (although it should be said that nothing bars private social media outlets, acting on their own, from instituting policies that require users to accurately identify themselves).

Setting aside all that, how would it work? Haley’s demand that social media companies verify usernames poses several questions. Would this be on the honor system? If so, then it would be useless as it would be easy to give a fake name or, as bars can already tell you, a fake ID. Would it be linked to driver’s licenses or passports? If so, you’d have to verify 1) that the driver’s license or passport is valid but also 2) that it was submitted by its owner. That would prove costly and time-consuming for both users and social media outlets and maybe even bankrupt them. If the site survived, would they turn their backs on international users, who might be too expensive to verify? Does Haley expect social media sites to use facial ID or other biometric data, like fingerprints, which pose monumental privacy problems?

There is no shortage of articles and books denouncing internet misinformation like QAnon and lesser sources for sowing confusion, causing damage and driving people nuts, so there’s no need to replicate those findings here. But nobody should pretend that anonymously generated misinformation is unique to the internet. It is a quandary that predates the web by centuries, perhaps millennia.

Anonymous accusations of witchcraft powered the Salem trials of the 1600s. Governments across the world have long depended on the power of anonymity to spread propaganda against their foes. The Soviets and the Russians have long poisoned the truth with their misinformation and disinformation. During the AIDS crisis, the Soviets anonymously planted a conspiracy theory that the virus had been engineered by U.S. Army researchers. The so-called Hitler diaries were packed with misinformation and written in the Fuhrer’s name by an anonymous writer. At the low and base end, there’s bathroom graffiti and word of mouth, often in the form of urban legends.

One primary reason misinformation exists, besides the fact that it can be persuasive where information isn’t, is that there is a demand for it. People want to believe in fantastic conspiracies like the Pizzagate hoax or that the Procter and Gamble corporate logo is a satanic image. At one point, the demand for entertaining misinformation was so great in America that the supermarket checkout lanes were filled with tabloids — the Weekly World News, the Star, the Globe, the National Examiner and the National Enquirer. Many of these publications have folded as the web has grown to sate the appetite for misinformation, especially the juiciest kind.

If it’s a given that anonymous misinformation spreads more quickly and widely on the internet than it did in the pre-internet era, it’s also true that correctives can be marshaled more quickly and dispersed more widely in that environment. This is no panacea, of course, but it counters Haley’s implied position that we are somehow helpless to counter anonymous misinformation unless we zipper hundreds of million mouths.

As a 2016 RAND Corp. paper on Russian misinformation noted, you can’t fight a firehose of falsehood with a squirt gun of truth. Misinformation has less of a chance of taking root in a culture if its people have been primed first with correct information, and correct information can’t surface and triumph without a lively debate. Misinformation — anonymous or otherwise — must be anticipated and confronted directly, the RANDites preach. Where people can’t be convinced that misinformation is misinformation, the paper’s authors argue it’s worth the effort to communicate how the misinformation machine works to reduce susceptibility next time.

If the Haley ID plan succeeded, what would we lose? Anonymity lends both courage and a measure of safety to speakers who might otherwise fear retaliation from those who are ruffled by raw speech. It protects you personally from getting fired by a boss or doxxed by an angry mob. It promotes the airing of controversial, unpopular speech and promotes debate that might otherwise be suppressed. And it encourages whistleblowing.

Instead of campaigning against anonymous speech, Haley should bow to her rivals Ramaswamy and DeSantis and endorse it.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieJoe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:20 am
Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

Nikki Haley is an idiot.

Her call to ban anonymous posting is foolish, impractical and downright unpatriotic.

Republican presidential candidate and former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley speaks at the Republican Jewish Coalition in Las Vegas.

Nikki Haley said banning anonymous accounts would get “rid of the Russian bots, the Iranian bots and the Chinese bots.” | John Locher/AP

Presidential candidate Nikki Haley did free speech a great service this week by making a nutty call for social media to be bleached clean of anonymity.

“Every person on social media should be verified, by their name. That’s, first of all, it’s a national security threat,” Haley said Tuesday on Fox News, because it can spread misinformation. Banning anonymous accounts would get “rid of the Russian bots, the Iranian bots and the Chinese bots,” she continued. On the Ruthless podcast that day, Haley reiterated her pitch: “They need to verify every single person on their outlet, and I want it by name.”

Haley earned immediate broadsides from two of her Republican opponents. Vivek Ramaswamy waved the free speech flag as he denounced her proposal as censorship. Ron DeSantis reminded her that the Federalist Papers were written anonymously. Journalists and activists unloaded with more of the same, including Glenn Greenwald, Charlie Kirk and Dana Loesch.

By Wednesday, Haley had softened her harsh proposal, saying, “I don’t mind anonymous American people having free speech; what I don’t like is anonymous Russians and Chinese and Iranians having free speech.”

Haley’s proposal crumpled under the most gentle scrutiny. In order to prove that you’re an American worthy of anonymous speech under her regime, wouldn’t you have to … identify yourself, thereby losing your anonymity? And that’s for starters. Would such a government-mandated scheme be legal? Probably not. Is the plague of anonymous misinformation somehow unique to the internet, requiring special rules for it? No. How practical would it be to identify every social media account by name? Not very. And if we said to hell with practicality and deployed the Haley plan, what would we lose?

Haley’s education must have forgone not only law but history. The right to anonymous speech goes back to the founding of our country when anonymous pamphleteers made their case for independence. Although not an absolute right, anonymity is bound tightly to the freedom of the press and has proven invaluable to the citizenry, especially the disenfranchised. Haley’s scheme would easily violate certain legal rights to privacy established by the courts (although it should be said that nothing bars private social media outlets, acting on their own, from instituting policies that require users to accurately identify themselves).

Setting aside all that, how would it work? Haley’s demand that social media companies verify usernames poses several questions. Would this be on the honor system? If so, then it would be useless as it would be easy to give a fake name or, as bars can already tell you, a fake ID. Would it be linked to driver’s licenses or passports? If so, you’d have to verify 1) that the driver’s license or passport is valid but also 2) that it was submitted by its owner. That would prove costly and time-consuming for both users and social media outlets and maybe even bankrupt them. If the site survived, would they turn their backs on international users, who might be too expensive to verify? Does Haley expect social media sites to use facial ID or other biometric data, like fingerprints, which pose monumental privacy problems?

There is no shortage of articles and books denouncing internet misinformation like QAnon and lesser sources for sowing confusion, causing damage and driving people nuts, so there’s no need to replicate those findings here. But nobody should pretend that anonymously generated misinformation is unique to the internet. It is a quandary that predates the web by centuries, perhaps millennia.

Anonymous accusations of witchcraft powered the Salem trials of the 1600s. Governments across the world have long depended on the power of anonymity to spread propaganda against their foes. The Soviets and the Russians have long poisoned the truth with their misinformation and disinformation. During the AIDS crisis, the Soviets anonymously planted a conspiracy theory that the virus had been engineered by U.S. Army researchers. The so-called Hitler diaries were packed with misinformation and written in the Fuhrer’s name by an anonymous writer. At the low and base end, there’s bathroom graffiti and word of mouth, often in the form of urban legends.

One primary reason misinformation exists, besides the fact that it can be persuasive where information isn’t, is that there is a demand for it. People want to believe in fantastic conspiracies like the Pizzagate hoax or that the Procter and Gamble corporate logo is a satanic image. At one point, the demand for entertaining misinformation was so great in America that the supermarket checkout lanes were filled with tabloids — the Weekly World News, the Star, the Globe, the National Examiner and the National Enquirer. Many of these publications have folded as the web has grown to sate the appetite for misinformation, especially the juiciest kind.

If it’s a given that anonymous misinformation spreads more quickly and widely on the internet than it did in the pre-internet era, it’s also true that correctives can be marshaled more quickly and dispersed more widely in that environment. This is no panacea, of course, but it counters Haley’s implied position that we are somehow helpless to counter anonymous misinformation unless we zipper hundreds of million mouths.

As a 2016 RAND Corp. paper on Russian misinformation noted, you can’t fight a firehose of falsehood with a squirt gun of truth. Misinformation has less of a chance of taking root in a culture if its people have been primed first with correct information, and correct information can’t surface and triumph without a lively debate. Misinformation — anonymous or otherwise — must be anticipated and confronted directly, the RANDites preach. Where people can’t be convinced that misinformation is misinformation, the paper’s authors argue it’s worth the effort to communicate how the misinformation machine works to reduce susceptibility next time.

If the Haley ID plan succeeded, what would we lose? Anonymity lends both courage and a measure of safety to speakers who might otherwise fear retaliation from those who are ruffled by raw speech. It protects you personally from getting fired by a boss or doxxed by an angry mob. It promotes the airing of controversial, unpopular speech and promotes debate that might otherwise be suppressed. And it encourages whistleblowing.

Instead of campaigning against anonymous speech, Haley should bow to her rivals Ramaswamy and DeSantis and endorse it.
But…..but…..she was discriminated against in HS!!! LOL. She’s shown her true colors on a ton of issues these past few weeks….

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieHam wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:41 am
HokieJoe wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:20 am

Merry New Year Ham!

Happy New Year, DC!

Nikki Haley is an idiot.

But…..but…..she was discriminated against in HS!!! LOL. She’s shown her true colors on a ton of issues these past few weeks….

Yep. She's been a big disappointment, IMO.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:05 am

Naw. You’re for the status quo. You think Nikki Haley would be great. She’ll surround herself with even MOAR establishment types than DrumpF! did in his first run.

Haley has a far better chance of putting forth conservative ideals than Trump, who has a zero chance. We've already seen that comedy.
Trump's first run was status quo. His second run will be MOAR of the same.
You think a handful of UWS posters going apoplectic is a shockwave. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/rei ... e-pounding
Reid Hoffman Pulls Out Of Nikki Haley After New Hampshire Pounding
HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

HokieFanDC wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:36 am
HokieHam wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:05 am

Haley has a far better chance of putting forth conservative ideals than Trump, who has a zero chance. We've already seen that comedy.
Trump's first run was status quo. His second run will be MOAR of the same.
You think a handful of UWS posters going apoplectic is a shockwave. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
Now you’re making shiRt up. DrumpF!s first run was anything but status quo. :lol: :lol:

This isn’t referring to just UWS……… :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah……welcome back!😜

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Tulsi Gabbard would have my vote...seriously.
Tulsi-Gabbard-Bikini-Photos.jpg
Tulsi-Gabbard-Bikini-Photos.jpg (150.96 KiB) Viewed 358 times
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieHam

Post by HokieHam »

Major Kong wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:40 pm Tulsi Gabbard would have my vote...seriously.
Tulsi-Gabbard-Bikini-Photos.jpg
If she modified her stance on abortion……yes.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Shockwave- just look at the polling.

Trump as a lib (spending) - COVID was a game changer. And quite possibly a dem scheme. Bat soup my arse.

I don’t love dRuMpF. Pragmatically, however, he is best positioned right now to stem the tide of several things ruining the country. Arguing that he is no panacea isn’t an argument for triage that’s needed. No, of course he isn’t perfect; nor is he the picture of pure horror.

All politicians suck. Okay. I get that much.
Attachments
FlWq05JXwAEOnSO.jpeg
FlWq05JXwAEOnSO.jpeg (102.75 KiB) Viewed 344 times
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.