Howdy!

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Howdy!

Post by awesome guy »

Awesome Guy here. Someone already registered as awesome guy, taking my UWS handle. So I'm Awesomest!

The TSL mods gave me the ban for mocking the lounge. So be careful which inane stuff you post over there. Only some is inane enough to stay on the lounge.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Howdy!

Post by BigDave »

awesomest guy wrote:Awesome Guy here. Someone already registered as awesome guy, taking my UWS handle. So I'm Awesomest!

The TSL mods gave me the ban for mocking the lounge. So be careful which inane stuff you post over there. Only some is inane enough to stay on the lounge.
If you send me a private message on TSL affirming that this message is really you, I will rename the imposter and give you that name.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

would love to, but got banned over there for my shenanigans on the lounge, thus me here. I can ride this one out since I have no way of verifying my ID. Just be on the lookout for someone taking up other usernames to cause problems.
BigDave wrote:
awesomest guy wrote:Awesome Guy here. Someone already registered as awesome guy, taking my UWS handle. So I'm Awesomest!

If you send me a private message on TSL affirming that this message is really you, I will rename the imposter and give you that name.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

TSL seems to be down at the moment so I can't try it out ... but can banned users still receive private messages? If so, I can send you a number and get you to post it here.

Have you ever posted your email address on TSL? That would be another way to verify you.
awesomest guy wrote:would love to, but got banned over there for my shenanigans on the lounge, thus me here. I can ride this one out since I have no way of verifying my ID. Just be on the lookout for someone taking up other usernames to cause problems.
BigDave wrote:

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

I don't think so. It just says "banned, no reason given, effective forever" on each page click, even the profile. So it seems to lock you out for good. I don't think I ever posted my email on TSL and if I did, it was a throw away one.

Is this image good enough? You can see my user_id in the url. So I had the username and password to get to the bannation page.
Last edited by awesome guy on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Okay ... that's fine ... give me a couple of minutes. You will be "awesome guy" and the other individual will be deleted if I can and "impersonator001" if I can't.
awesomest guy wrote:I don't think so. It just says "banned, no reason given, effective forever" on each page click, even the profile. So it seems to lock you out for good. I don't think I ever posted my email on TSL and if I did, it was a throw away one.

Is this image good enough? You can see my user_id in the url. So I had the username and password to get to the bannation page.
awesome.jpg
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

You have been renamed. I don't know if you will need to log out and back in for it to take effect, but obviously, the next time you log in, it's "awesome guy".
BigDave wrote:Okay ... that's fine ... give me a couple of minutes. You will be "awesome guy" and the other individual will be deleted if I can and "impersonator001" if I can't.
awesomest guy wrote:I don't think so. It just says "banned, no reason given, effective forever" on each page click, even the profile. So it seems to lock you out for good. I don't think I ever posted my email on TSL and if I did, it was a throw away one.

awesome.jpg
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

thanks Dave!
BigDave wrote:Okay ... that's fine ... give me a couple of minutes. You will be "awesome guy" and the other individual will be deleted if I can and "impersonator001" if I can't.

awesome.jpg
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Awesome Guy here. Someone already registered as awesome guy, taking my UWS handle. So I'm Awesomest!

You are in good company buddy. Whoever had 3pm today the date IP was banned is the big weiner.

It was a good run.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Awesome Guy here. Someone already registered as awesome guy, taking my UWS handle. So I'm Awesomest!

You are in good company buddy. Whoever had 3pm today the date IP was banned is the big weiner.

It was a good run.
What was the final straw?
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

It was a good run.
Not sure. I'm guessing it was in response to a loungers comment about climate change. I told him that it was an interesting observation.

Or maybe I took the poo theme too far.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote: Or maybe I took the poo theme too far.
Rabblerouser! :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Or maybe I took the poo theme too far.
so sensitive...
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

haha! We rocked the house!
ip_law-hokie wrote:

It was a good run.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

I don't know. The last post from me(that I could think of) was the Jenna Bush picture. Then I was checking out the deep thread of loungers whining that others would be as inane as the normal lounge and up came the ban page. I imagine it was the culmination of mocking the lounge and Will making it known that we're not really supposed to post anywhere else. Of all the stuff I had done previously, this was the lamest. I guess I messed with the bull and got the horns.
Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

It was a good run.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

haha, I think we went out in style.

Did anyone else have an impersonator take their account first? Oakton might want to check, I wouldn't be surprised if it was beached. He did do this before.
Major Kong wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Or maybe I took the poo theme too far.
Rabblerouser! :D
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

It was a good run.
They seriously banned both of you? Not sure how I slipped between the cracks...
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

It was a good run.
What did I miss?
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Will called both us out saying effectively that we shouldn't be posting on the lounge. I guess you'd posted there before recently.
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

It was a good run.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Marine Hokie wrote:What did I miss?
The Lounge was not amused at the attempt of living up the place and bringing a little entertainment to their otherwise bland and dull lives.

FTR I really thought IP did some of his best work ever today and AG was no slouch either.

It truly was a complete teamwork event. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Go look at the lounge. All we did was post the normal BS that's on there. IP changed his avatar to an anti-gun pic too. And then we posted about cheetos, taking a poo, Hawt or Not chicks, esoteric engineering questions, etc. FatherSon was in on it too and little more subtle than us. But that's it, we posted as lounge posters. Guess we weren't allowed on there.
Marine Hokie wrote:They seriously banned both of you? Not sure how I slipped between the cracks...
What did I miss?[/quote]
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

thanks. IP was the master today, he was absolutely brilliant.
Major Kong wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:What did I miss?
The Lounge was not amused at the attempt of living up the place and bringing a little entertainment to their otherwise bland and dull lives.

FTR I really thought IP did some of his best work ever today and AG was no slouch either.

It truly was a complete teamwork event. :)
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Go look at the lounge. All we did was post the normal BS that's on there. IP changed his avatar to an anti-gun pic too. And then we posted about cheetos, taking a poo, Hawt or Not chicks, esoteric engineering questions, etc. FatherSon was in on it too and little more subtle than us. But that's it, we posted as lounge posters. Guess we weren't allowed on there.
Marine Hokie wrote:They seriously banned both of you? Not sure how I slipped between the cracks...
What did I miss?
[/quote]

Eh, odds are it's the beginning of the end for TSL. You can't run an online community like it's 1999 and hope to make money.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

I think that's what this is really about. People have bolted over the years for various reasons and they haven't been able to attract new blood to the site. So they're blaming the VBulletin nightmare and UWS, saying we give the whole site a bad name. I think they're barking up the wrong tree. Most of originals and long termers are middle aged. Back in our day, forums were cool. Not so to the younger generation. And so when they changed the technology, the older posters couldn't follow it anymore and bolted. Plus it's gotten stale. Plus the middle aged posters have children and not as much time to goof off on message boards. So the demographics have shifted on them.

I think they should stop messing with the forums. Just let them stay mostly the same with minor improvements like images and a spell checker of some sort. Get into social media, FB, etc for the younger guys. The younger posters are turned off by the older ones anyway. They're often mean to them, plus there's just a generational gap. So let the social media stuff be the playground for the younger audience and leave the forums to the older guys. And then when something else new comes along, the current 20-30 somethings will still hang onto their social media while the new 20-30 somethings use whatever is hip in their time. And then of course use forum users will just move on down the food chain.

Anyway, I think their approach is just going to drive more people away. They should create new service offerings that will attract new and younger users while not confusing and alienating the older posters.
Marine Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Go look at the lounge. All we did was post the normal BS that's on there. IP changed his avatar to an anti-gun pic too. And then we posted about cheetos, taking a poo, Hawt or Not chicks, esoteric engineering questions, etc. FatherSon was in on it too and little more subtle than us. But that's it, we posted as lounge posters. Guess we weren't allowed on there.
What did I miss?
Eh, odds are it's the beginning of the end for TSL. You can't run an online community like it's 1999 and hope to make money.[/quote]
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

The site update tried to be all things to all people and wound up not being liked by anyone.

It's obnoxious on mobile (by the way, there is a Tapatalk plugin for phpbb - I can install it if there is interest) and is very poorly designed.

You want to make behaviors that you are trying to encourage (reading/posting on the message boards, reading articles) easy, not make people scroll around all over creation to find what they were looking for.

To switch to a different forum, you have to hover over the "forums" box and then click the forum you want. So if someone is casually surfing or they are on their phone, by introducing that extra step, you've just made it slightly less likely that someone is going to do that.
awesome guy wrote:I think that's what this is really about. People have bolted over the years for various reasons and they haven't been able to attract new blood to the site. So they're blaming the VBulletin nightmare and UWS, saying we give the whole site a bad name. I think they're barking up the wrong tree. Most of originals and long termers are middle aged. Back in our day, forums were cool. Not so to the younger generation. And so when they changed the technology, the older posters couldn't follow it anymore and bolted. Plus it's gotten stale. Plus the middle aged posters have children and not as much time to goof off on message boards. So the demographics have shifted on them.

I think they should stop messing with the forums. Just let them stay mostly the same with minor improvements like images and a spell checker of some sort. Get into social media, FB, etc for the younger guys. The younger posters are turned off by the older ones anyway. They're often mean to them, plus there's just a generational gap. So let the social media stuff be the playground for the younger audience and leave the forums to the older guys. And then when something else new comes along, the current 20-30 somethings will still hang onto their social media while the new 20-30 somethings use whatever is hip in their time. And then of course use forum users will just move on down the food chain.

Anyway, I think their approach is just going to drive more people away. They should create new service offerings that will attract new and younger users while not confusing and alienating the older posters.