Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Board layout and captcha

Post by BigDave »

Hey everyone-

You may have noticed that there was a bit of spam posted. In an effort to combat that, I wanted to switch to a different captcha, but in order to do that, I had to upgrade to a more up-to-date theme. I have tried to make the theme look rather Hokie-ish.

If you would prefer to use the one that we were using, it is available from your "User Control Panel" in the upper right hand corner of the page. The old theme was "RedSilver3".

I apologize for the inconvenience.

For anyone who is attempting to register but having problems, please email me at uwsboard -at- uwsboard.com.

The captcha it is now using asks you to answer a question that presumably most people would be able to do, but bots would not. The four possible questions are:

* What is the name of Tech's head football coach? (Beamer or Frank Beamer)
* In 1999, Tech beat Syracuse 62-0. Who was the starting quarterback for the Hokies? (This was the MNC year.) (Vick, MV1, Michael Vick, Mike Vick)
* What is the first name of the younger Vick brother, affectionately known as MV2? (Marcus)
* What do the initials UWS stand for? (Look up at the top of the page if you don't know, just to the left of uwsboard.com.) (United We Stand)
change board style.png
change board style.png (110.3 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
One4VT

Re: Board layout and captcha

Post by One4VT »

I would like to propose using *What pseudonym did Mike Vick allegedly use to seek VD treatment? (Ron Mexico)
BigDave wrote:Hey everyone-

You may have noticed that there was a bit of spam posted. In an effort to combat that, I wanted to switch to a different captcha, but in order to do that, I had to upgrade to a more up-to-date theme. I have tried to make the theme look rather Hokie-ish.

If you would prefer to use the one that we were using, it is available from your "User Control Panel" in the upper right hand corner of the page. The old theme was "RedSilver3".

I apologize for the inconvenience.

The captcha it is now using asks you to answer a question that presumably most people would be able to do, but bots would not. The four possible questions are:

* What is the name of Tech's head football coach? (Beamer or Frank Beamer)
* In 1999, Tech beat Syracuse 62-0. Who was the starting quarterback for the Hokies? (This was the MNC year.) (Vick, MV1, Michael Vick, Mike Vick)
* What is the first name of the younger Vick brother, affectionately known as MV2? (Marcus)
* What do the initials UWS stand for? (Look up at the top of the page if you don't know, just to the left of uwsboard.com.) (United We Stand)
change board style.png
Last edited by One4VT on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't "Sub-Forum" my Thread Bro!
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

BigDave wrote:I apologize for the inconvenience.
Please apologize for nothing. This is fantastic. Thanks so much.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

One4VT wrote:I would like to propose using *What pseudonym did Mick Vick allegedly use to seek VD treatment? (Ron Mexico)
What's a Hokie?
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
One4VT wrote:I would like to propose using *What pseudonym did Mick Vick allegedly use to seek VD treatment? (Ron Mexico)
What's a Hokie?
We heard that all the time at the first Sugar Bowl vs. Texas. They were yelling "What's a Hokie?"[burb, burb] on Bourbon St. and some guy yells "it's a key to your mom's room!". Everyone went silent for a couple minutes, then died laughing at the Texas fans. It was epic.

Read it as "Ho-Key" to get the joke.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
One4VT

Post by One4VT »

When I went to the Sugar Bowl in 2004, I was really looking forward to the back and forth with the Auburn folks but then I saw an Auburn fan holding up a sign that said "Show us your WAR T$@$@S". I had to admit, there was no topping that.
awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
What's a Hokie?
We heard that all the time at the first Sugar Bowl vs. Texas. They were yelling "What's a Hokie?"[burb, burb] on Bourbon St. and some guy yells "it's a key to your mom's room!". Everyone went silent for a couple minutes, then died laughing at the Texas fans. It was epic.

Don't "Sub-Forum" my Thread Bro!
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

One4VT wrote:When I went to the Sugar Bowl in 2004, I was really looking forward to the back and forth with the Auburn folks but then I saw an Auburn fan holding up a sign that said "Show us your WAR T$@$@S". I had to admit, there was no topping that.
awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
What's a Hokie?

nice!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Not really a gripe....does everyone else like links opening up from the UWS tab? I prefer new tabs to open from links myself.

/rant.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

I use Chrome and just right click and choose new tab so it isn't a bother for me.
USN_Hokie wrote:Not really a gripe....does everyone else like links opening up from the UWS tab? I prefer new tabs to open from links myself.

/rant.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:I use Chrome and just right click and choose new tab so it isn't a bother for me.
USN_Hokie wrote:Not really a gripe....does everyone else like links opening up from the UWS tab? I prefer new tabs to open from links myself.

/rant.
I can do that too, but I'm lazy... :mrgreen:
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:I use Chrome and just right click and choose new tab so it isn't a bother for me.

/rant.
I can do that too, but I'm lazy... :mrgreen:
Do you have a middle or wheel button on your mouse? If so, middle click opens a link in a new tab by default.

Obnoxiously, some mouse manufacturers change this default behavior, so you may have to go to the control panel and set the "wheel button" function to be middle-click.
mouse function.png
mouse function.png (62.9 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk