Dave, Question about board etiquette

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Hokie5150

Dave, Question about board etiquette

Post by Hokie5150 »

Dave,

Will you allow the UWS-style Lounge posts of the past? The music, guitar, television, movies, etc. type of stuff that would come up on UWS in the past?

Thanks in advance.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Dave, Question about board etiquette

Post by BigDave »

My goal is to not have to log into the admin account so I'm not planning on stopping it if it comes up.

I did create a Lounge-like board - http://uwsboard.com/viewforum.php?f=3 - so it may be better to put such things there. (The name "What I had for Lunch Today" is a (probably not funny at all) sarcastic reference to the frequent topic of TSL lounge discussions - we can change it to something else if desired.) We can create as many boards as desired, though with so few of us, I think we are at a point where more boards would dilute what exists.
Hokie5150 wrote:Dave,

Will you allow the UWS-style Lounge posts of the past? The music, guitar, television, movies, etc. type of stuff that would come up on UWS in the past?

Thanks in advance.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

BigDave wrote:We can create as many boards as desired, though with so few of us, I think we are at a point where more boards would dilute what exists.
That was my concern, plus I always enjoyed the non-Lounge approach UWS has to Lounge-type posts. thanks
Once

Post by Once »

So you're saying I can type miles and miles of whatever stream of consciousness blather is going on in my head and all of you will read it!!?? This place is great! :lol:
Hokie5150 wrote:That was my concern, plus I always enjoyed the non-Lounge approach UWS has to Lounge-type posts. thanks
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

BigDave wrote:My goal is to not have to log into the admin account so I'm not planning on stopping it if it comes up.

I did create a Lounge-like board - http://uwsboard.com/viewforum.php?f=3 - so it may be better to put such things there. (The name "What I had for Lunch Today" is a (probably not funny at all) sarcastic reference to the frequent topic of TSL lounge discussions - we can change it to something else if desired.) We can create as many boards as desired, though with so few of us, I think we are at a point where more boards would dilute what exists.

Thanks in advance.
Since we're here, how about a football/sports board?
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Once wrote:So you're saying I can type miles and miles of whatever stream of consciousness blather is going on in my head and all of you will read it!!?? This place is great! :lol:
Hokie5150 wrote:That was my concern, plus I always enjoyed the non-Lounge approach UWS has to Lounge-type posts. thanks
Whoa there, that's your husband's job!
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Both this and the "private" (not google indexed) UWS are created and should be hidden to new, logged out, and bot users.

I set the threshold pretty low - five posts. Right now, that's catching 14 people (out of 40).
Marine Hokie wrote:Since we're here, how about a football/sports board?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:Both this and the "private" (not google indexed) UWS are created and should be hidden to new, logged out, and bot users.

I set the threshold pretty low - five posts. Right now, that's catching 14 people (out of 40).
you're getting botted like that already?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:
BigDave wrote:Both this and the "private" (not google indexed) UWS are created and should be hidden to new, logged out, and bot users.

you're getting botted like that already?
Well, there are two different kinds of bots.

There are search engine bots, which started showing up about five minutes after we went live. When the site is being indexed, you will actually see "Google (bot)" as a logged in user on the home page - I saw it just a few minutes ago.

Then there are spam bots. We had one that registered and then started repeatedly dumping linkspam onto the board. That's when I changed the captcha from the default one (which presumably someone has figured out a way to OCR) to the questions about Tech. The purpose isn't to exclude someone - if a Hoo wants to join us, they are welcome to and hopefully they would either know the answers or be able to Google them quickly - but a spambot wouldn't be able to register.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Great name for the new lounge-like place. I Love It!!!
Keep it.

Also. Another etiquette question.
Should we be typing above..or below...quoted posts in reply w/ quote?

BigDave wrote:My goal is to not have to log into the admin account so I'm not planning on stopping it if it comes up.

Thanks in advance.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

Either. I usually do above because if it's a really long post being quoted, the reply is easier to find that way.

Nothing is more annoying than having five pages of quoted material to scroll through and then two words - "I agry" - at the bottom. :roll: :cry:
RiverguyVT wrote:Great name for the new lounge-like place. I Love It!!!
Keep it.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I'm just wanting to be consistent. I'll post above here on out (or, at least, I'll try to).
This early in our board, setting little guidelines like this will make it better.
Post above, it is! :idea:

BigDave wrote:Either. I usually do above because if it's a really long post being quoted, the reply is easier to find that way.

Nothing is more annoying than having five pages of quoted material to scroll through and then two words - "I agry" - at the bottom. :roll: :cry:
RiverguyVT wrote:Great name for the new lounge-like place. I Love It!!!
Keep it.

Salute the Marines
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

BigDave wrote:Either...Nothing is more annoying than having five pages of quoted material to scroll through and then two words - "I agry" - at the bottom. :roll: :cry:
Either that or just edit the quote. Agry? :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

BigDave wrote:Nothing is more annoying than having five pages of quoted material to scroll through and then two words - "I agry" - at the bottom. :roll: :cry:
Yeah... OR... you could delete the quoted material that doesn't pertain to your reply... like I just did here.

Above or below, either way works. I prefer to lead with the quoted material so the reader knows what I'm replying to before they read my reply.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

This board believes in Libertarian ideals. Edit the quote, reply above or below, there is personal freedom here. ;)
Hokie CPA wrote:Above or below, either way works. I prefer to lead with the quoted material so the reader knows what I'm replying to before they read my reply.
Actually, I would kinda like it if the software didn't quote quotes ... I may look and see if there is a way to change that.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

but sometimes the nested quote could be an important part of the point being made.

He said
...so then the other guy said
......to which the next guy is wrong, but based his reasoning upon the one just above

................Now I answer, to make my incredibly deep and meaningful point that will change the free world as we know it.
Salute the Marines