Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

John Rosemond's Fight against Kentucky AG

Post by Florida Hokie »

For those that don't' know, John Rosemond gives parenting advice. His style is old school - though no spankings. He espouses that the marriage is central to the family and that raising children comes second. My wife and I prescribe to his thinking and like it very much. I don't agree with everything he says but most of it I do.

At any rate, he has a lot of enemies in his "industry". They've driven a disturbing effort here.

http://rosemond.com/2013/john-kentucky- ... ogy-board/
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: John Rosemond's Fight against Kentucky AG

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:For those that don't' know, John Rosemond gives parenting advice. His style is old school - though no spankings. He espouses that the marriage is central to the family and that raising children comes second. My wife and I prescribe to his thinking and like it very much. I don't agree with everything he says but most of it I do.

At any rate, he has a lot of enemies in his "industry". They've driven a disturbing effort here.

Interesting situation. Sounds like he's doing the right thing. And how can a column with general advice be considered therapy any more than each of us offering our opinions to each other? Just by not saying we're psychologists? Even if some are or in a similar field like I think Baltimore is.

I agree with this approach too. My wife and I have been giving it a try as well as incorporating aspects of the French style, by not letting the kids dominate our lives. Letting them know we have a life too and they're part of it, but they also need to chart their own course. We're there to help figure out the right/best places to go and not to go and give them the tools to get where they want to go. I spend a lot of time with them too and incorporate them into my life (like teaching the 4 year old how to build rods), but as the parent, I'm in charge. When I discipline the 4 year old, I always explain not only what she did, but why it's wrong in the big picture. Like her throwing a temper tantrum because an authority told her what to do. I certainly share her rebellious spirit, but I explained that she needs to learn to respect authorities because she'll have bosses at work one day and they'll boss her around. So she needs to learn how to listen to others and incorporate her own wants into that world too. Anyway, cooperation is a basic skill and the earlier she learns it the better.

I think the coddlers miss this and end up with kids who have to learn as adults they're not going to get their way. It's really too late then or they'll enter adulthood in their 30s as so many millennials appear to now.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Have you read his books? I think you would like them if not. I had a client give them to me before my first came along. He said, "If I had these I wouldn't have gotten divorced from my first wife."

Very powerful.
awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:For those that don't' know, John Rosemond gives parenting advice. His style is old school - though no spankings. He espouses that the marriage is central to the family and that raising children comes second. My wife and I prescribe to his thinking and like it very much. I don't agree with everything he says but most of it I do.

Interesting situation. Sounds like he's doing the right thing. And how can a column with general advice be considered therapy any more than each of us offering our opinions to each other? Just by not saying we're psychologists? Even if some are or in a similar field like I think Baltimore is.

I agree with this approach too. My wife and I have been giving it a try as well as incorporating aspects of the French style, by not letting the kids dominate our lives. Letting them know we have a life too and they're part of it, but they also need to chart their own course. We're there to help figure out the right/best places to go and not to go and give them the tools to get where they want to go. I spend a lot of time with them too and incorporate them into my life (like teaching the 4 year old how to build rods), but as the parent, I'm in charge. When I discipline the 4 year old, I always explain not only what she did, but why it's wrong in the big picture. Like her throwing a temper tantrum because an authority told her what to do. I certainly share her rebellious spirit, but I explained that she needs to learn to respect authorities because she'll have bosses at work one day and they'll boss her around. So she needs to learn how to listen to others and incorporate her own wants into that world too. Anyway, cooperation is a basic skill and the earlier she learns it the better.

I think the coddlers miss this and end up with kids who have to learn as adults they're not going to get their way. It's really too late then or they'll enter adulthood in their 30s as so many millennials appear to now.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Nope, I'm winging it :) But I may give them a read.
Florida Hokie wrote:Have you read his books? I think you would like them if not. I had a client give them to me before my first came along. He said, "If I had these I wouldn't have gotten divorced from my first wife."

Very powerful.
awesome guy wrote:

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

We read "The New Six-Point Plan for Raising Happy, Healthy Children" and "Family Building: The Five Fundamentals of Effective Parenting"

Both are excellent.
awesome guy wrote:Nope, I'm winging it :) But I may give them a read.
Florida Hokie wrote:Have you read his books? I think you would like them if not. I had a client give them to me before my first came along. He said, "If I had these I wouldn't have gotten divorced from my first wife."

Very powerful.
awesome guy wrote: