67% of Native Americans find "Redskins" to be offensive

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

67% of Native Americans find "Redskins" to be offensive

Post by nolanvt »

As a fan of the team, I'm okay with changing the name. This is becoming too much of a distraction, and the organization should be focusing their time and resources on football matters.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler/na ... r?s=mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: 67% of Native Americans find

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:As a fan of the team, I'm okay with changing the name. This is becoming too much of a distraction, and the organization should be focusing their time and resources on football matters.

The poll was of Ward Churchill, Elizabeth Warren, and Chief Sitting Bull. Guess which one didn't find it offensive?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

nolanvt wrote:As a fan of the team, I'm okay with changing the name. This is becoming too much of a distraction, and the organization should be focusing their time and resources on football matters.

I don't believe that number for one second.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

The longer it pisses off white guilt guys like costas and certain white/hetero guilt posters here (won't name names) , the longer they should keep it. I find guilty middle class whites whining about the Washington Redskins hilarious and hope they continue the name for that very reason. Screw the pompous Peter King and his insecurities. Native Americans don't care about this, since a huge number of HS teams bear the name on Indian reservations.
SuwaneeTim820
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Hokie5150 wrote:

Agreed. The actual number is probably much higher.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Yep- evidenced by 40 years of sell outs and the NFL's third most marketable/valuable franchise..also a leader every year in merchandise sales and TV views... Millions of people are clearly pissed...
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Yep- evidenced by 40 years of sell outs and the NFL's third most marketable/valuable franchise..also a leader every year in merchandise sales and TV views... Millions of people are clearly pissed...
"67% of Native Americans"

So.... your comment pretty much makes no sense. Unless you think there are millions more Native Americans today than there actually are.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

So.... your comment pretty much makes no sense. Unless you think there are millions more Native Americans today than there actually are.
Thanks for proving my point... One of the most valuable and popular brands in sports should change its name over so few people - your point- being offended? Nope... But remember the Native Americans have proxies..much like Obama has- people support him, despite what is in their best interests. Costas supports the redskins name change because he is "offended" FOR native americans everywhere. Laughable, like I said.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

they buy the gear to remove the racists products from public view.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Unlikely...
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

CFB Apologist wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Fixed that for you.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:

Tangent - who or what is your avatar?
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

USN_Hokie wrote:Tangent - who or what is your avatar?
My professional mentor.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:Agreed. The actual number is probably much higher.
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter. ... -24_pr.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: September 24, 2004
VISIT: www.naes04.org

Most Indians Say Name of Washington “Redskins” Is Acceptable
While 9 Percent Call It Offensive, Annenberg Data Show

Most American Indians say that calling Washington’s professional football team the “Redskins
does not bother them, the University of Pennsylvania’s National Annenberg Election Survey
shows.

Ninety percent of Indians took that position, while 9 percent said they found the name
“offensive.” One percent had no answer. The margin of sampling error for those findings was
plus or minus two percentage points.

Because they make up a very small proportion of the total population, the responses of 768
people who said they were Indians or Native Americans were collected over a very long period of
polling, from October 7, 2003 through September 20, 2004. They included Indians from every
state except Alaska and Hawaii, where the Annenberg survey does not interview. The question
that was put to them was “The professional football team in Washington calls itself the
Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it
bother you?”

Some Indian leaders have called upon the team to change the name, but the Redskins’ owner,
Daniel Snyder, has insisted it will keep the name it has had ever since 1933, when it played in
Boston. The team moved to Washington in 1937.

There was little variation among subgroups of Native Americans. Eight percent of men and 9
percent of women said the name was offensive, while 90 percent of each sex said it did not bother
them. Ten percent of Indians under 45 found the name offensive, compared to 8 percent of those
45 and older.

Thirteen percent of Indians with college degrees or more education said “Redskins” was
offensive, compared to 9 percent of those with some college and 6 percent of those with a high
school education or less. Fourteen percent of Indians who called themselves politically liberal
said the name was offensive, compared to 9 percent of moderates and 6 percent of conservatives.
Among Indians with household incomes of $75,000 or more, 12 percent found the name
offensive, compared to 9 percent of those with incomes between $35,000 and $75,000 and 8
percent of those with incomes below $35,000.
-More-
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Tangent - who or what is your avatar?
My counselor.
FTFY. At least you're seeking help.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Lol. Excellent post, ag.

awesome guy wrote:

The poll was of Ward Churchill, Elizabeth Warren, and Chief Sitting Bull. Guess which one didn't find it offensive?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Validity of the survey or not...I agree it's a distraction that isn't going to go away. It's unfortunate since the name really wasn't used by the team in a racist manner. In fact, it glorifies native Americans. The term was a descriptor used by settlers. Much like they were called paleface by the native Indians.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

CFB Apologist wrote: The longer it pisses off white guilt guys like costas and certain white/hetero guilt posters here (won't name names) , the longer they should keep it. I find guilty middle class whites whining about the Washington Redskins hilarious and hope they continue the name for that very reason. Screw the pompous Peter King and his insecurities. Native Americans don't care about this, since a huge number of HS teams bear the name on Indian reservations.
I think that is an interesting point (bold), but before I address I'll give a quick version of my thoughts, which mean absolutely nothing.

I'm a Redskins fan. Been one my entire life. My grandfather had tickets to RFK, passed on to my grandmother, so I had the privilege to go to a game a year growing up. I've worn shirts, yelled Go Redskins, sang (yelled really) Hail to the Redskins, etc. I don't use it as a raical slur and I'm not being racist when I use it.

The name itself seems pretty derogatory if you actually think about it. I don't think it is hard to find that it was used historically in a derogatory way. That doesn't mean it started out that way, but at some point in time it seems it was used as a slur. Even if I don't use the name in a racist way, even if I don't consider the term racist, personally, that doesn't mean it isn't. Maybe 100 years from now the "N" word won't be considered a hate word. But, that doesn't mean it should be the name of a team.

As for your comment about local schools on Indian reservations being named the Redskins; I think that is very interesting and a good point. I didn't realize that was the case so I googled it, not that I doubted you, but I wanted to see for myself. I came across this article, linked below:
http://cnsmaryland.org/interactives/other-redskins/

Some quotes
Yet not all Native Americans oppose the term Redskins. Capital News Service identified three majority Native American high schools that use it proudly, including Red Mesa High School in Arizona.
“Being from Native American culture, [the term] is not derogatory,” said Tommie Yazzie, superintendent of the school district that oversees Red Mesa High School. He identified himself as a “full-blooded Navajo.”
“Education, public health ‒ those are the things we’re more concerned about, rather than whether a team name is appropriate,” he said.
Though he said it was acceptable for schools with majority Native American populations to use the name Redskins, he believes that non‐Native American schools should avoid using it.

“If you were to put this in an urban area where the population is basically white, unless there is a cultural connection, it would be inappropriate,” he said.
The last quote sounds eerily familiar to another racial slur. We can use it but you can't, that's certainly been a discussion on this board before. You can draw your own conclusion, and it is an interesting point that there are apparently three schools on reservations that use Redskins as a mascot. This is only the opinion of one person (identified as Navajo) at the school, but it is interesting that he has an opinion that "we" can use it, but you can't. That sounds racial to me.
People who know, know.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

TheH2 wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote: The longer it pisses off white guilt guys like costas and certain white/hetero guilt posters here (won't name names) , the longer they should keep it. I find guilty middle class whites whining about the Washington Redskins hilarious and hope they continue the name for that very reason. Screw the pompous Peter King and his insecurities. Native Americans don't care about this, since a huge number of HS teams bear the name on Indian reservations.
I think that is an interesting point (bold), but before I address I'll give a quick version of my thoughts, which mean absolutely nothing.

I'm a Redskins fan. Been one my entire life. My grandfather had tickets to RFK, passed on to my grandmother, so I had the privilege to go to a game a year growing up. I've worn shirts, yelled Go Redskins, sang (yelled really) Hail to the Redskins, etc. I don't use it as a raical slur and I'm not being racist when I use it.

The name itself seems pretty derogatory if you actually think about it. I don't think it is hard to find that it was used historically in a derogatory way. That doesn't mean it started out that way, but at some point in time it seems it was used as a slur. Even if I don't use the name in a racist way, even if I don't consider the term racist, personally, that doesn't mean it isn't. Maybe 100 years from now the "N" word won't be considered a hate word. But, that doesn't mean it should be the name of a team.

As for your comment about local schools on Indian reservations being named the Redskins; I think that is very interesting and a good point. I didn't realize that was the case so I googled it, not that I doubted you, but I wanted to see for myself. I came across this article, linked below:

Some quotes
Yet not all Native Americans oppose the term Redskins. Capital News Service identified three majority Native American high schools that use it proudly, including Red Mesa High School in Arizona.
“Being from Native American culture, [the term] is not derogatory,” said Tommie Yazzie, superintendent of the school district that oversees Red Mesa High School. He identified himself as a “full-blooded Navajo.”
“Education, public health ‒ those are the things we’re more concerned about, rather than whether a team name is appropriate,” he said.
Though he said it was acceptable for schools with majority Native American populations to use the name Redskins, he believes that non‐Native American schools should avoid using it.

“If you were to put this in an urban area where the population is basically white, unless there is a cultural connection, it would be inappropriate,” he said.
The last quote sounds eerily familiar to another racial slur. We can use it but you can't, that's certainly been a discussion on this board before. You can draw your own conclusion, and it is an interesting point that there are apparently three schools on reservations that use Redskins as a mascot. This is only the opinion of one person (identified as Navajo) at the school, but it is interesting that he has an opinion that "we" can use it, but you can't. That sounds racial to me.
It's the classic double-standard. Rules of Hypocrisy.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU

Post by Major Kong »

Meh change the name to the Bullets.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nolanvt

Re: 67% of Native Americans find "Redskins" to be offensive

Post by nolanvt »

Major Kong wrote:Meh change the name to the Bullets.
Ha! Co-sign.

nolanvt

Re: 67% of Native Americans find "Redskins" to be offensive

Post by nolanvt »

TheH2 wrote:

Some quotes

Great post.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

TheH2 wrote:

Some quotes

Bottom line- want the name changed? (not you in particular) but people need to vote with their feet and wallet, not their condescending, patronizing, white guilt views. The terms redskins as a football mascot is offensive to exactly zero white male libs who live in white neighborhoods..ZERO... so shut up- which is basically what Snyder is saying, and its the best thing he has done as an owner thus far. screw the whiny libs - don't go to the games or buy the jerseys if its sooooo "offensive"
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Sounds good to me!
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

:lol:

+1
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.