So those of y'all who think the estate tax ("death tax")

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: So those of y'all who think the estate tax (

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:The government lays the underlying foundation for which we can "own" any property. Whether it be an automobile or 1.8 billion dollars in cash.
So in other words, it all really belongs to the government to begin with and it's only by the grace of a merciful government that some portion of it is granted unto you?

This sounds like a religion. "Glory to Government in the highest, and on earth peace to those on whom Its favor rests."
Sounds like reality to me. I can only tell you to find a Libertarian paradise somewhere. Hope nothing catches on fire.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
hokie80
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by hokie80 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: What claim does the government have on any tax? Whatever your answer is, go with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
None. Abolish them.
OK. I'm going to stop there and discuss tax policy with someone else.
Ok then. You tell me what claim the government has on any tax.
The government lays the underlying foundation for which we can "own" any property. Whether it be an automobile or 1.8 billion dollars in cash.
False. Again, how did you pass the bar again?
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:The government lays the underlying foundation for which we can "own" any property. Whether it be an automobile or 1.8 billion dollars in cash.
So in other words, it all really belongs to the government to begin with and it's only by the grace of a merciful government that some portion of it is granted unto you?

This sounds like a religion. "Glory to Government in the highest, and on earth peace to those on whom Its favor rests."
Sounds like reality to me. I can only tell you to find a Libertarian paradise somewhere. Hope nothing catches on fire.
Taxes may be a reality. Government being the lord of all property and leasing it out to you or me at its sole pleasure is not reality.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Taxes may be a reality. Government being the lord of all property and leasing it out to you or me at its sole pleasure is not reality.
OK.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

hokie80 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: What claim does the government have on any tax? Whatever your answer is, go with that.

None. Abolish them.
The government lays the underlying foundation for which we can "own" any property. Whether it be an automobile or 1.8 billion dollars in cash.
You live in a wonderful world.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

You live in a wonderful world.[/quote]

You live in a fantasy land.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
hokie80 wrote: Again, how did you pass the bar again?
hokie80 seems to have an inferiority complex toward you because you have a professional degree. That's... weird.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
hokie80 seems to have an inferiority complex toward you because you have a professional degree. That's... weird.
Typical of that demographic.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Nope. I respect lawyers. But only the bright ones.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

hokie80 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
You appear to be a stubborn old mule who questions the success in life of anyone who disagrees with him politically. :D
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
You appear to be a stubborn old mule who questions the success in life of anyone who disagrees with him politically. :D
I have a lot of liberal friends who are successful.

They are bright and can formulate an argument however. Some are lawyers that do litigation. Generally the litigators tend to be brighter than the paper pusher types.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

hokie80 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

None. Abolish them.
"False"? It's not a fact, it's merely a philosophical viewpoint.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

hokie80 wrote:I have a lot of liberal friends who are successful.
What about Republicans? You know.... since you are an independent.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
hokie80 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Also typical of 80's demographic.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

:shock:
sounds like someone missed the lecture on "rights"
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

"Oh, I forgot. You were sick the day they taught law at law school!" --Lt. Daniel Kaffee
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

You guys can jerk each other off on natural law or what have you, but at the end of the day we do need to fund our government.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

You guys can jerk each other off on natural law or what have you, but at the end of the day we do need to fund our government.
We managed to fund our government for 140 years without income and estate taxes. Just sayin.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

We managed to fund our government for 140 years without income and estate taxes. Just sayin.
Well, I guess you got me there. We can go back to 1830 and rock out.
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote: Taxes are applied whenever money changes hands: employer to employee, estate to heir, customer to business.
Then tax gifts as well.
There is a gift tax.
Yup! Anything over $14K annually is subject to a gift tax. So... you cannot beat the estate tax by "gifting" all of your assets to your kids the moment before you die :mrgreen:

Gift tax: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Bus ... Gift-Taxes
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

nolanvt wrote:
Sounds like a great reason for a consumption-based tax system, which I support over the current system.
An interesting concept. However a consumption tax would be "job killing" to use GOP scare tactic lingo, since it would artificially raise the price of US goods and services. Unless there was a corresponding foreign import tax... and that starts to get complicated and create loopholes.

Not that this would be any worse than the current system...
VoiceOfReason

Re: So those of y'all who think the estate tax ("death tax")

Post by VoiceOfReason »

BigDave wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:3) Why should the heir of a wealthy person live in this country and never pay taxes? Without the estate tax we would need to tax working people more to compensate. Is that what you favor? Working people paying full freight?
The most ever collected from the inheritance tax was $36.7 billion. That's a rounding error with our current deficits. And it was projected in a 2012 congressional study that repealing it would only have a net revenue reduction by $7 billion/year. That's $20/person.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadl ... -dumb-tax/
So... you are saying that the estate tax is too low? Or applies to few people? Since it does not raise that much money?

I can assure you that my 2013 income taxes were much less than rounding error on our debt... but I think the IRS still expects me to pay them...
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote: Taxes are applied whenever money changes hands: employer to employee, estate to heir, customer to business.
Then tax gifts as well.
There is a gift tax.
Yup! Anything over $14K annually is subject to a gift tax. So... you cannot beat the estate tax by "gifting" all of your assets to your kids the moment before you die :mrgreen:

Gift tax: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Bus ... Gift-Taxes
Well, there is also a lifetime exclusion in addition to the annual one ... you can exclude $5 million over a lifetime and whatever you exclude counts towards the inheritance tax exclusion. So for most of us, you don't have to worry about hitting it. (So if you give your kid a $30K car as a graduation present, then you are literally giving him part of his inheritance - you exclude 14K of it as part of the annual exclusion and the rest as part of the lifetime exclusion.)

But there has to be a gift tax as long as there is an income tax - otherwise there would be rampant income tax fraud. You would say that your nanny is a close family friend and you are giving her a gift of $whatever each month, so she doesn't have to pay income taxes on it.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
VoiceOfReason

Re: So those of y'all who think the estate tax ("death tax")

Post by VoiceOfReason »

BigDave wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:Commercial transactions should be taxed less aggressively than gifts/inheritance. The government should promote capitalism. That's why I say that income tax should go before inheritance tax.
I may be crazy, but I always thought that the purpose of taxes should be to raise money to fund the government, not to promote or punish behaviors.
You are not crazy. We progressives agree with you there. But when you start moving from goals to implementation... we prefer that you do not begin by negatively impacting the middle class and the poorest among us first. Some of us learned that in church :mrgreen:
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Well, I guess you got me there. We can go back to 1830 and rock out.
I am only pointing out how cumbersome and expensive our government has become over the last 100 years. It shouldn't need anywhere near as much as it takes. It needs to be cut back, across the board. Cut everything from the military to personal and corporate subsidies.