Virginians- The senate race

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Virginians- The senate race

Post by RiverguyVT »

I'm going to be interested in the Gillespie (sp?) v. Warner race.
On the one hand Warner seems to be wildly popular. On the other hand, he's voted w/ Obama something like 97% of the time.

Warner looks good on TV
Gillespie is goofy looking

Warner has a HUGE war chest.
Gillespie should be able to harness the "sick of this $%^" vote.

UWS thoughts?

http://edforsenate.com/join/?gclid=CNKm ... 7AodMUcA4w
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Virginians- The senate race

Post by awesome guy »

I'm voting against every democrat. They're all leftist loons voting as Pelosi and Reed tell them to vote. Warner is an Obama rubber stamper so time for him to go.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:I'm voting against every democrat. They're all leftist loons voting as Pelosi and Reed tell them to vote. Warner is an Obama rubber stamper so time for him to go.
Well, you voting against a D is a given. Me too.
What do you make of Gillespie's chances? Is the "throw the bums out" vote strong enough to get rid of Warner?

Is Gillespie competent to run a campaign? (So far, I've seen nothing from him to indicate that he can run a campaign)
Warner will have a slick ground game; count on it.
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I'm voting against every democrat. They're all leftist loons voting as Pelosi and Reed tell them to vote. Warner is an Obama rubber stamper so time for him to go.
Well, you voting against a D is a given. Me too.
What do you make of Gillespie's chances? Is the "throw the bums out" vote strong enough to get rid of Warner?

Is Gillespie competent to run a campaign? (So far, I've seen nothing from him to indicate that he can run a campaign)
Warner will have a slick ground game; count on it.
I have no idea. I hope he isn't too nice to smear Warner with his ACA and Obama voting.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

RiverguyVT wrote:I'm going to be interested in the Gillespie (sp?) v. Warner race.
On the one hand Warner seems to be wildly popular. On the other hand, he's voted w/ Obama something like 97% of the time.

Warner looks good on TV

UWS thoughts?

When it comes to the US Senate, I'll probably never vote for a D, so I will be voting for Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:I'm going to be interested in the Gillespie (sp?) v. Warner race.

Warner looks good on TV

UWS thoughts?

When it comes to the US Senate, I'll probably never vote for a D, so I will be voting for Ed.
Will Ed have what it takes?
Salute the Marines
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

Warner could give a campaign speech where he says nothing but "macaca" and still win easily. He's the most popular va politician since Byrd.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

RiverguyVT wrote:Is the "throw the bums out" vote strong enough to get rid of Warner?
He is one of the bums. He's the type of guy you all love to rail on - a "Washington insider".

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HvilleHokie wrote:Warner could give a campaign speech where he says nothing but "macaca" and still win easily. He's the most popular va politician since Byrd.
I agree that he's popular, but I'm wondering if TV looks, form, is enough to overcome substance.
He's voted pro-Obama 97 or 98% of the time. That's a record most Ds up for re-election are sprinting away from & trying to obfuscate. A 97% Obama record is pretty damning.

$100 question. Is Gillespie so inept he won't capitalize? I'm beginning to think so. I haven't seen anything from him yet that would show me he's campaigning.
Salute the Marines
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

May end up voting for Sarvis again.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:Warner could give a campaign speech where he says nothing but "macaca" and still win easily. He's the most popular va politician since Byrd.
I agree that he's popular, but I'm wondering if TV looks, form, is enough to overcome substance.
He's voted pro-Obama 97 or 98% of the time. That's a record most Ds up for re-election are sprinting away from & trying to obfuscate. A 97% Obama record is pretty damning.

$100 question. Is Gillespie so inept he won't capitalize? I'm beginning to think so. I haven't seen anything from him yet that would show me he's campaigning.
Most congressmen and senators vote 90% to 95% or more with their party. The majority of votes are not political in nature; we only know about all of the hot button issues.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:May end up voting for Sarvis again.
Given your signature, do you not see much of the problem you are? You know he's a lib plant right?
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Cuccinelli was too far to the right and now Gillespie is to far to the ... middle?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

BigDave wrote:
Cuccinelli was too far to the right and now Gillespie is to far to the ... middle?
I said May. I haven't decided and likely won't decide before November.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:
BigDave wrote:
I said May. I haven't decided and likely won't decide before November.
Why doesn't him being a tax and spend lib eliminate him by default?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HooFighter wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Is the "throw the bums out" vote strong enough to get rid of Warner?
He is one of the bums. He's the type of guy you all love to rail on - a "Washington insider".
Sure seems to be the case, doesn't it?
...and there's the rub.

:evil:
Salute the Marines
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Warner signs are up and ready.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

OrangeHokieFan

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

There's some corrupt things about to come out from when Warner was Governor, such a robbing and bullying agencies to balance the Va budget. Gilispie will shockingly win and send a message to Obama dick huggers.

Warner looks good on TV

UWS thoughts?

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

OrangeHokieFan wrote:There's some corrupt things about to come out from when Warner was Governor, such a robbing and bullying agencies to balance the Va budget. Gilispie will shockingly win and send a message to Obama dick huggers.

Warner looks good on TV

UWS thoughts?

I hope mud-slinging isn't Gillespie's best play.
I seriously think that effective promotion of "Warner voted w/ Obama 97% of the time" should be enough, and lay out, bill by bill, the stupid and bad laws Warner promoted. But he's got to get out there. He needs to get to it. Waiting until October would be in Warner's favor.
Salute the Marines
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

OrangeHokieFan wrote:There's some corrupt things about to come out from when Warner was Governor, such a robbing and bullying agencies to balance the Va budget. Gilispie will shockingly win and send a message to Obama dick huggers.
Even if that were true, would it make a difference for enough people?

There are so many people who suffer from some sort of cognitive dissonance causing them to believe that Warner is a moderate. He has never done a moderate thing is his life and barely even bothers giving lip service to it and people think he's a moderate.

I don't understand it.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

BigDave wrote:

There are so many people who suffer from some sort of cognitive dissonance causing them to believe that Warner is a moderate. He has never done a moderate thing is his life and barely even bothers giving lip service to it and people think he's a moderate.

I don't understand it.
Well, for one, he's not a loony Democrat. For two, he's worked on legislation with Republicans in the Senate.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

VisorBoy wrote:
BigDave wrote:

I don't understand it.
Well, for one, he's not a loony Democrat. For two, he's worked on legislation with Republicans in the Senate.
What does that even mean? Everyone who has been in congress has worked on legislation with people from the other side.
OrangeHokieFan

Post by OrangeHokieFan »

He's 97% the white Obama. Low info voters will auto click his name tho
BigDave wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
BigDave wrote:

I don't understand it.
What does that even mean? Everyone who has been in congress has worked on legislation with people from the other side.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

BigDave wrote:

I don't understand it.
He was a moderate governor. He actually cut spending. Something Allen and Gilmore never did.

He's been less moderate as a senator. And obviously that's a bit more relevant given that's what he is running for.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

HvilleHokie wrote:He was a moderate governor. He actually cut spending. Something Allen and Gilmore never did.

He's been less moderate as a senator. And obviously that's a bit more relevant given that's what he is running for.
Well, I don't know that that's true. The Virginia constitution REQUIRES a balanced budget, so to the extent that there were cuts, it's because he was required to - not because he actually favors limited government.

And if you look at http://dpb.virginia.gov/budget/budget.cfm, the only place you're going to see a smaller budget from Warner was in his 2003 amended budget. While it's true that he cut the 2003 operating budget by $151 million, he increased the 2003 capital projects by $345 million.

And that's the only alleged cut you're going to find (which wasn't a net cut at all - he increased net spending).

By the way, if you are going to count that as a cut (which it isn't), then, by the same definition, Bob McDonnell "cut" the budget in 2013.