So Presbyterian assembly allows same sex marriage-comments?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
SuwaneeTim820
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Re: So Presbyterian assembly allows same sex marriage-commen

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

chuckd4vt wrote:In fact, some of the greatest heros from the Bible had multiple wives. If one were making up rules based purely upon what is found in the bible, this would not be one of them.
Also from the Bible...

David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
chuckd4vt wrote:In fact, some of the greatest heros from the Bible had multiple wives. If one were making up rules based purely upon what is found in the bible, this would not be one of them.
Also from the Bible...

David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.
Sounds kinda gay to me... :mrgreen:

Damn Christians. Closet homos - all of them!
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Damn Christians. Closet homos - all of them!

Yeah. Those Old Testament Christians will really get after ya. (sniff).
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

so my presbyterian church, by a decision from the session, has decided to allow gay marriage in our congregation. the session vote was 14-2.

just fyi... i live in the most conservative portion of virginia. so i don't think this is indicative of a larger political movement. this area of virginia absolutely opposes gay marriage.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

HvilleHokie wrote:so my presbyterian church, by a decision from the session, has decided to allow gay marriage in our congregation. the session vote was 14-2.

just fyi... i live in the most conservative portion of virginia. so i don't think this is indicative of a larger political movement. this area of virginia absolutely opposes gay marriage.
"Won't be too long until they're voting on marrying animals!" - someone on UWS, probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Your argument seems be that we don't follow a lot of things in the bible, so maybe it's ok that we ignore the stuff condemning gay marriage? Isn't that a path towards not following any of it? What's next?

As for the PCUSA, Anglican Church, etc. - I think that's just politics over principle.
chuckd4vt wrote:Forgive me for not reading through this thread, but I wish to address a couple of claims. For one thing, this is not about getting butts in seats for these denominational bodies. The PCUSA, like the Anglican Church before it, and soon to be the UMC are all struggling with this issue and are all losing members over the inclusion of homosexuals. Again, this isn't about getting butts into seats. From a numbers and dollars stand point, the statue quo would have been much more beneficial.

Now theologically, I feel this does come down to a matter of Scriptural authority and interpretation. How do we use the Bible and how is it meant to be used by the followers of Jesus Christ today? Homosexuality is only mentioned a half dozen times in the Bible and is only explicitly condemned a handful of times. And no, we do not have any record of Jesus addressing it there.

A couple of these condemnations occur in the Holiness Code of Leviticus, which we Christians today do not adhere to. There are aspects that are adhered to I suppose, but very few Christians even attempt to follow the set of instructions found there. We've essentially determined, for centuries I might add, that what is found there was intended to for a particular group of people at a particular time in their history. Tattoos are banned, eating shell fish is banned, wearing blended clothing is banned, certain haircuts are banned, etc...

And the remaining condemnations can be found in the letters of Paul. In Romans 1, I Corinthians 6, and 1 Timothy Paul includes homosexuality in lists of sinful behaviors. It's pretty dang clear that Paul opposed the behavior. So what does that mean for us? He was inspired by God when authoring those letters (though it's quite possible he didn't author 1 Timothy), so should we live out absolutely everything he suggests there? I'm not so incredibly sure.

In those same letters Paul tells us that women shouldn't even speak in Church. It's right there. And regarding that issue, most of us have agreed that women can and should have a vioce in God's Church. We've essentially found that what Paul wrote pertained to his particular time and place and does not represent God's Will for us here in the 21st Century. And generally, Paul was fairly progressive, but women having any voice (or slaves for that matter) in his context was simply not imaginable.

Thus, we find ourselves here right now dealing with this issue. What I know is that I've witnessed first hand homosexuals who lead fruitful godly lives. And they do great things for God's Church. Some live out their faith better than I do, which isn't saying much. We know where Paul stood, but is it truly God's Will that these persons not be fully included and accepted in His Church?

There's things in the Bible, in addition to the Holiness Code, that I do not feel represent God's Will for how we should live today. Just read it. What about where the Israelites are told to go into Jericho and kill every man, woman, child and animal? Was that God's Will, or was that some of the will of the man who wrote that text coming through? is that story some sort of combination of both. The Bible is both divine and human we believe. Other than the Ten Commandments, it's pretty much the words of men who were "inspired."

I do believe it's the primary place we come to know Jesus, who embodied the Word of God, but is it always leading us toward to the ways of Jesus. That passage from Joshua doesn't sound too consistent with what Jesus taught and stood for. Some of the stuff in some of Paul's letters doesn't either.

Simply, we're all picking and chosing here. Jesus and Peter and Paul flat out disregarded and contradicted some of the things found in the OT. Jesus issued a few "you've heard it said, but..." quotes that flat out challenged the Scriptures of His day. And for centuries Christians have continued to do so. Our Catholic brothers and sisters seem to feel that the Traditions of the Church are on equal footing with the Scriptures when developing their doctrines, many of which are still our doctrines. Anyhow, I personally worship Jesus and I feel the Bible is the primary place I come to know Him and His will for my life. I do not worship the Bible, some of us delve into a sort of bibliolatry I believe by worshipping that book as much as or even more so than God Himself. It's just a lot more complicated I feel than some like to believe this issue is.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:so my presbyterian church, by a decision from the session, has decided to allow gay marriage in our congregation. the session vote was 14-2.

"Won't be too long until they're voting on marrying animals!" - someone on UWS, probably

Ironically, a dude marrying his pet is the only thing Nolan isn't offended by.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Your church voted on what they decided was a sin? Sounds like a club. Maybe if the state sanctions polyamory you guys can vote on that too. Replace bingo night with wife swap night.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Your church voted on what they decided was a sin? Sounds like a club. Maybe if the state sanctions polyamory you guys can vote on that too. Replace bingo night with wife swap night.

All churches decide what is sin or not. Some do it differently than others. The Catholics just fall in line with what the pope says. But reformation freed us from that and allowed us to read the bible and interpret it our selves. The Presbyterians elect members of the session to make decisions for the church. ( this model was used as the basis for the constitution). Now... Does everyone that goes to our church need to accept that gay marriage is ok? No... In fact many don't. But because we are able to read the bible ourselves and make our own decisions, that's ok.

But our church will now allow gay marriages in the sanctuary.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

All churches decide what is sin or not. Some do it differently than others. The Catholics just fall in line with what the pope says. But reformation freed us from that and allowed us to read the bible and interpret it our selves. The Presbyterians elect members of the session to make decisions for the church. ( this model was used as the basis for the constitution). Now... Does everyone that goes to our church need to accept that gay marriage is ok? No... In fact many don't. But because we are able to read the bible ourselves and make our own decisions, that's ok.

Your congregation (just the membership in your local area, right?) voted on what's a "sin." WADR, you don't see how arbitrary that is?

Tell me - what in the bible changed between the change in VA governorship? If your congregation thought gay marriage was the right thing to do, they should have been doing them years ago. Yet, you wait to act until the state sanctions them?

I think your response goes a long way towards answering chuck's question regarding the dwindling PCUSA (I assume you're PCUSA) membership. You guys are in a liberal echo chamber.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Your congregation (just the membership in your local area, right?) voted on what's a "sin." WADR, you don't see how arbitrary that is?

Tell me - what in the bible changed between the change in VA governorship? If your congregation thought gay marriage was the right thing to do, they should have been doing them years ago. Yet, you wait to act until the state sanctions them?

I think your response goes a long way towards answering chuck's question regarding the dwindling PCUSA (I assume you're PCUSA) membership. You guys are in a liberal echo chamber.
Yep. Too bad they're too embroiled in the fight to see what they're doing to themselves. They've lost touch with the gospel.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

The decision had nothing to do with the state's.

Are you catholic? It seems to me that you are more comfortable being told what is and what isn't a sin rather than reading the bible and interpreting for yourself.

The bible hasn't changed but our interpretation of it has as it has over the history of Christianity. The church is very different now than it was 50 years ago which is different than 500 years ago which is different than 2000 years ago.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Are you catholic? It seems to me that you are more comfortable being told what is and what isn't a sin rather than reading the bible and interpreting for yourself.

The bible hasn't changed but our interpretation of it has as it has over the history of Christianity. The church is very different now than it was 50 years ago which is different than 500 years ago which is different than 2000 years ago.
Are you Catholic? Redefining doctrine is what made them fall from grace, not the initial deviation of installing a Pope. "Voting" to change scripture puts you guys just as far from Christ as the Catholics are. You've opened yourself up to the same "traditions" that nothing less than abandonment of the Lord's word.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Are you Catholic? Redefining doctrine is what made them fall from grace, not the initial deviation of installing a Pope. "Voting" to change scripture puts you guys just as far from Christ as the Catholics are. You've opened yourself up to the same "traditions" that are nothing less than abandonment of the Lord's word.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Ironically, a dude marrying his pet is the only thing Nolan isn't offended by.
Ah hell, USN. If you're going to concoct a ridiculous strawman, go big or GTFO. Accuse SSM proponents of running zoophilia rings or something along those lines.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Are you Catholic? Redefining doctrine is what made them fall from grace, not the initial deviation of installing a Pope. "Voting" to change scripture puts you guys just as far from Christ as the Catholics are. You've opened yourself up to the same "traditions" that are nothing less than abandonment of the Lord's word.
I was raised catholic but had my own personal reformation.

The vote didn't change scripture at all. Scripture was carefully studied in preparation for the vote.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HvilleHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: Your church voted on what they decided was a sin? Sounds like a club. Maybe if the state sanctions polyamory you guys can vote on that too. Replace bingo night with wife swap night.

I was raised catholic but had my own personal reformation.

The vote didn't change scripture at all. Scripture was carefully studied in preparation for the vote.
BS. You're now endorsing marriages the bible calls an abomination. You completely abandoned scripture.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HvilleHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Sure, the decision just coincided with it.

And no,lol, I'm not Catholic.