Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Parents don't have right to send unvaccinated kids to sc

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:yep. And the parents of all 50 of those kids choose to accept that risk. The other 450 didn't have nothing to worry about. So what's the problem?
Smallpox was eradicated. Wouldn't it be cool if Diphtheria were eradicated? Or Measles or Whooping Cough? Don't we want to keep the number of cases as low as possible? I would think zero cases is infinitely better than 50+.

You reach that same result as the 50 die off. I find it interesting that the so called libertarians are effectively for eminent domain over other people's bodies.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:yep. And the parents of all 50 of those kids choose to accept that risk. The other 450 didn't have nothing to worry about. So what's the problem?
Smallpox was eradicated. Wouldn't it be cool if Diphtheria were eradicated? Or Measles or Whooping Cough? Don't we want to keep the number of cases as low as possible? I would think zero cases is infinitely better than 50+.
I'm guessing AG assumes that the cost to treat the measles or whooping cough is solely borne by the un-vaccinated kids, which is not the case in reality.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Valencia Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:Yes. They have a duty to keep kids safe when they go to public school. That includes keeping out kids that will put them at risk, which unvaccinated kids do.
Maybe I'm missing something. If the other kids are vaccinated, doesn't that protect them from contracting the various illnesses/diseases? Aren't the un-vaccinated kids the ones at risk?
Vaccinations are a herd solution. The more people vaccinated, the less chance of getting the disease.

http://shotofprevention.com/2011/04/12/ ... accinated/
HvilleHokie

Post by HvilleHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:The problem is that you are maintaining a system in which diseases that can be eradicated are not eradicated, and the costs associated therewith. Some of that cost is also borne by immunocompromised people who can not receive the vaccines through no fault of their own.

so? They're still the same risk as those who don't vaccinate.

Free will trumps your collectivist beliefs.
One of the goals of vaccination is herd immunity. Vaccines aren't 100% effective. Used to be that a kid for whom the vaccine isn't effective had nothing to worry about because the herd was immune due to the vaccine. Now, thanks to the anti-vaccine crowd, that's not the case.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
I'm guessing AG assumes that the cost to treat the measles or whooping cough is solely borne by the un-vaccinated kids, which is not the case in reality.
So? You meddling in healthcare is no justification in making personal decisions for others. Does not the rights of privacy or control over your body apply here? Pretend we're talking about abortion. How can you say immunization is a community mob decision, but life isn't? Or drug use is a personal decision, but immunization isn't?
Cpt Jagdish
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

Sometimes I can tell if AG is:

A) Laughing away behind a dimly lit computer, rubbing cheeto dust on his shirt, cackling "haha, I'm trolling this UWS hard today, I'm gonna rail against gays in a vaccination thread to get the fires lit"

or

B) Steaming behind a dimly lit computer, furiously pecking at each key with actual disdain for gays and stubbornly digging in on a position he ultimately knows he's wrong about
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
So? You meddling in healthcare is no justification in making personal decisions for others. Does not the rights of privacy or control over your body apply here? Pretend we're talking about abortion. How can you say immunization is a community mob decision, but life isn't? Or drug use is a personal decision, but immunization isn't?
As others have tried to explain to you - nobody is forcing them to attend public school.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

You reach that same result as the 50 die off. I find it interesting that the so called libertarians are effectively for eminent domain over other people's bodies.
You're understanding of vaccines is as limited as your understanding of AIDS.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

You are right now guilty of making the same false choice accusations we levy against so many of our liberal friends. It's not a 'vaccinate or don't get an education' choice. Home school and private school is an option. Hell, the parents of those 50 kids could get together and start their own private school/leper colony to save costs. I'm not typically a public school advocate. I left public school in eighth grade and didn't go back until I enrolled at Virginia Tech. But the fact is simply this.... if you're going to use government schools, you have to obey government rules. And the government rules, with the backing of a super-duper-majority of the society as a whole, stipulate that children have to have certain vaccinations before they may enroll in public school. Don't like it? Don't go to public school.
Last edited by Hokie CPA on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
As others have tried to explain to you - nobody is forcing them to attend public school.
No one is forcing gays to marry the opposite sex. No one is forcing whites to marry their own race. How is your argument any different?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

You're understanding of vaccines is as limited as your understanding of AIDS.
thank you.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
No one is forcing gays to marry the opposite sex. No one is forcing whites to marry their own race. How is your argument any different?
OK. You win.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

You are right guilty of making the same false choice accusations we levy against so many of our liberal friends. It's not a 'vaccinate or don't get an education' choice. Home school and private school is an option. Hell, the parents of those 50 kids could get together and start their own private school/leper colony to save costs. I'm not typically a public school advocate. I left public school in eighth grade and didn't go back until I enrolled at Virginia Tech. But the fact is simply this.... if you're going to use government schools, you have to obey government rules. And the government rules, with the backing of a super-duper-majority of the society as a whole, stipulate that children have to have certain vaccinations before they may enroll in public school. Don't like it? Don't go to public school.
Umm, you're denying the parents their right to use public schools. And that's a giant piece of leverage to force your will on others. It is force. Removing the kids from public school puts a tremendous burden on the parents.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

You are right guilty of making the same false choice accusations we levy against so many of our liberal friends. It's not a 'vaccinate or don't get an education' choice. Home school and private school is an option. Hell, the parents of those 50 kids could get together and start their own private school/leper colony to save costs. I'm not typically a public school advocate. I left public school in eighth grade and didn't go back until I enrolled at Virginia Tech. But the fact is simply this.... if you're going to use government schools, you have to obey government rules. And the government rules, with the backing of a super-duper-majority of the society as a whole, stipulate that children have to have certain vaccinations before they may enroll in public school. Don't like it? Don't go to public school.
Umm, you're denying the parents their right to use public schools. And that's a giant piece of leverage to force your will on others. It is force. Removing the kids from public school puts a tremendous burden on the parents.
This from the guy who wants to make divorce illegal. I'm glad you don't want to force your will on others. Carry on.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

No I'm not. They have every right to enroll their kids in public schools as soon as the kids' vaccinations are up to date.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

This from the guy who wants to make divorce illegal. I'm glad you don't want to force your will on others. Carry on.
Not illegal, with cause when minors are in thier custody.

And how can you say I'm wrong there and then use a similar argument for vaccination? What's different other than your will on the matter?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

And how can you say I'm wrong there and then use a similar argument for vaccination? What's different other than your will on the matter?[/quote]

science and common sense.
SuwaneeTim820
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:Sometimes I can tell if AG is:

A) Laughing away behind a dimly lit computer, rubbing cheeto dust on his shirt, cackling "haha, I'm trolling this UWS hard today, I'm gonna rail against gays in a vaccination thread to get the fires lit"

or

B) Steaming behind a dimly lit computer, furiously pecking at each key with actual disdain for gays and stubbornly digging in on a position he ultimately knows he's wrong about
I often wonder the same thing when reading some his more absurd, illogical rants (such as this one) where right and left universally come together to point out how ridiculous he is being. At first I thought it was A, but it's been so persistent and over such a long period of time that I can't help but think it's B.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:And how can you say I'm wrong there and then use a similar argument for vaccination? What's different other than your will on the matter?
science and common sense.[/quote]

Both are lacking in your argument. But I'm not surprised you're a herder feeling domain over other bodies.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:And how can you say I'm wrong there and then use a similar argument for vaccination? What's different other than your will on the matter?
Both are lacking in your argument. But I'm not surprised you're a herder feeling domain over other bodies.[/quote]

OK.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Both are lacking in your argument. But I'm not surprised you're a herder feeling domain over other bodies.
OK.[/quote]

Not OK. You should make changes.

If and only if we had school vouchers or a fee based public system, I could go along with such requirements. Because there really isn't any force involved as the parents could use a private school without extra burden. Otherwise, they need to be accommodating.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

You are right now guilty of making the same false choice accusations we levy against so many of our liberal friends. It's not a 'vaccinate or don't get an education' choice. Home school and private school is an option. Hell, the parents of those 50 kids could get together and start their own private school/leper colony to save costs. I'm not typically a public school advocate. I left public school in eighth grade and didn't go back until I enrolled at Virginia Tech. But the fact is simply this.... if you're going to use government schools, you have to obey government rules. And the government rules, with the backing of a super-duper-majority of the society as a whole, stipulate that children have to have certain vaccinations before they may enroll in public school. Don't like it? Don't go to public school.
There really isn't much choice, and it isn't related to govt vs private schools. Most private schools also require vaccinations. You know, because it's basic common sense.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

science and common sense.[/quote]

and the well being of the entire population.
People who know, know.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
Not OK. You should make changes.

If and only if we had school vouchers or a fee based public system, I could go along with such requirements. Because there really isn't any force involved as the parents could use a private school without extra burden. Otherwise, they need to be accommodating.
Way to create a class of free loaders off government money that don't want to do the logical thing and vaccinate their kids. A nice way to reward stupidity. Of course it is a moot point because the private schools likely require immunization.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

There really isn't much choice, and it isn't related to govt vs private schools. Most private schools also require vaccinations. You know, because it's basic common sense.
What do you know about common sense?

Vaccinations are only required per regulations.