Parents don't have right to send unvaccinated kids to school

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Re: Parents don't have right to send unvaccinated kids to sc

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:VA allows you to opt out for religious reasons, but not philosophical ones. Only MS and WV don't allow you to opt out for religious reasons.
The true liberty loving states like CA and VT, allow you to opt out for any reason you want.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/sch ... -laws.aspx
My post was in re to whether private schools were also covered under state laws like public schools.
Got it.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:Got it.
It is interesting though. I always figured that private schools would be exempt from the same rules that public schools were under.

Then in AZ our son was placed in a private school the 1st year we moved to Pima County and sure enough they wanted all his vaccination records before enrolling said it was State required. Then he was placed in the Amphitheater School District Special Education Center at Rillito where he stayed for the duration of his school career.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
It is interesting though. I always figured that private schools would be exempt from the same rules that public schools were under.

Then in AZ our son was placed in a private school the 1st year we moved to Pima County and sure enough they wanted all his vaccination records before enrolling said it was State required. Then he was placed in the Amphitheater School District Special Education Center at Rillito where he stayed for the duration of his school career.
I'm amazed the libs are so ignorant on this. No wonder they want more regs, they have no idea about the current ones.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:I'm amazed the libs are so ignorant on this. No wonder they want more regs, they have no idea about the current ones.
Oh I don't know it was something I never really thought about...I never attended a private school until Ferrum. :D

My sister attended St. Josephs Villa (Dooley school) for 3 years back in the LBJ/Nixon years. :)

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:I'm amazed the libs are so ignorant on this. No wonder they want more regs, they have no idea about the current ones.
Oh I don't know it was something I never really thought about...I never attended a private school until Ferrum. :D

My sister attended St. Josephs Villa (Dooley school) for 3 years back in the LBJ/Nixon years. :)
Not just in education, but there are typically 3 levels of government to deal with. And the further you get from local, more competing agencies with overlapping jurisdictions making our government ungodly to deal with. I wish more people understood this, especially those looking for more regs.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

I'm amazed the libs are so ignorant on this. No wonder they want more regs, they have no idea about the current ones.

I didn't think you considered yourself a lib.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

There you go again
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Not just in education, but there are typically 3 levels of government to deal with. And the further you get from local, more competing agencies with overlapping jurisdictions making our government ungodly to deal with. I wish more people understood this, especially those looking for more regs.
Just 3 :?: You need to get out more. In the States I've dealt with 5 separate entities. :)

Local, State, Fed, Tribal and International Compact.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

There you go again
What? :?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Not just in education, but there are typically 3 levels of government to deal with. And the further you get from local, more competing agencies with overlapping jurisdictions making our government ungodly to deal with. I wish more people understood this, especially those looking for more regs.
Just 3 :?: You need to get out more. In the States I've dealt with 5 separate entities. :)

Local, State, Fed, Tribal and International Compact.
True
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
hokie80 wrote:AG - from the original post (pre-HIV tangent)

What right does a parent have to send a kid to public school?

And again - I still fail to see where the government is forcing them to have their kid vaccinated. As far as I can tell, the requirement by the school for admission doesn't impact their right to choose to not vaccinate (no matter how idiotic their reasoning).

Another question (taking religion out of it). If a parent decides to not get their minor child vaccinated against say, smallpox and the child later contract smallpox from another anti-vax infected child, should the parent be considered for child endangerment charges?
I don't know how else to explain that creating a burden without compliance is forcing the issue. School vouchers solves this for me.

I don't think so. Not all tragedies are crimes.
I'll expand on the second point. I can certainly see where you're coming from. The parents are taking on risk. But is it criminal? I take risk by kayaking with a 4 year old. Should I be jailed if something tragic happens? My point is we're always evaluating risks. The anti vacation people, while likely making a poor choice, are also making what they think is the best choice. I have a hard time criminalizing that. Though at some point, the risk is so obvious that we're effectively criminalizing stupidity. I don't think this crosses that threshold as there is a flimsy rationale against vaccinations.
Alright, let's expand on this... what about parents who refuse proven medical treatment so they can pray away their child's affliction? Let's say a child has a severe asthma attack which can be treated with a nebulizer treatment, but the parents believe they can pray to God to cure the child. They pray their little hearts out and the child anguishes through a horrible period of gasping for air and just can't get enough, so he suffocates in front of his parents' bowed heads and dies.

Is that cool or criminal?
Not criminal. I think they have a right to that choice.
What about the rights of the child?

How about if they decided to meditate instead of taking their dying child to get medical attention?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Been pondering this all afternoon and am honestly conflicted. On one hand, I see the need in saving the kid from negligence. On the other, the parents have rights too. I don't have an answer.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

awesome guy wrote:
Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote: I don't know how else to explain that creating a burden without compliance is forcing the issue. School vouchers solves this for me.

I don't think so. Not all tragedies are crimes.
I'll expand on the second point. I can certainly see where you're coming from. The parents are taking on risk. But is it criminal? I take risk by kayaking with a 4 year old. Should I be jailed if something tragic happens? My point is we're always evaluating risks. The anti vacation people, while likely making a poor choice, are also making what they think is the best choice. I have a hard time criminalizing that. Though at some point, the risk is so obvious that we're effectively criminalizing stupidity. I don't think this crosses that threshold as there is a flimsy rationale against vaccinations.
Alright, let's expand on this... what about parents who refuse proven medical treatment so they can pray away their child's affliction? Let's say a child has a severe asthma attack which can be treated with a nebulizer treatment, but the parents believe they can pray to God to cure the child. They pray their little hearts out and the child anguishes through a horrible period of gasping for air and just can't get enough, so he suffocates in front of his parents' bowed heads and dies.

How about if they decided to meditate instead of taking their dying child to get medical attention?

Been pondering this all afternoon and am honestly conflicted. On one hand, I see the need in saving the kid from negligence. On the other, the parents have rights too. I don't have an answer.
If the child falls in a pool and the patents do nothing to save it but pray, is that criminal?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
awesome guy wrote: I'll expand on the second point. I can certainly see where you're coming from. The parents are taking on risk. But is it criminal? I take risk by kayaking with a 4 year old. Should I be jailed if something tragic happens? My point is we're always evaluating risks. The anti vacation people, while likely making a poor choice, are also making what they think is the best choice. I have a hard time criminalizing that. Though at some point, the risk is so obvious that we're effectively criminalizing stupidity. I don't think this crosses that threshold as there is a flimsy rationale against vaccinations.

If the child falls in a pool and the patents do nothing to save it but pray, is that criminal?

yes
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

awesome guy wrote:
Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote: Alright, let's expand on this... what about parents who refuse proven medical treatment so they can pray away their child's affliction? Let's say a child has a severe asthma attack which can be treated with a nebulizer treatment, but the parents believe they can pray to God to cure the child. They pray their little hearts out and the child anguishes through a horrible period of gasping for air and just can't get enough, so he suffocates in front of his parents' bowed heads and dies.

yes
I don't see the significant difference between that and the asthma example.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Uprising wrote:
awesome guy wrote: Not criminal. I think they have a right to that choice.

yes
I don't see the significant difference between that and the asthma example.

There is a chance of recovery in the former. Pretty much zero in the pool example.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Uprising wrote:If the child falls in a pool and the patents do nothing to save it but pray, is that criminal?

Patents :?: What does ip have to do with any of this :?: :P

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... ated-child

This seems prudent.... just gonna leave this right here.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

The problem of unvaccinated citizens will be dwarfed by this

Post by Techmomof2 »

What's coming over our Southern border and being sent all over the country will be a bigger problem.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/06/29 ... rn-border/

America is facing a health crisis of unparalleled proportions. We could be weeks away from an outbreak of several pandemics on our southern border which will lead to the United Nations emerging as a legitimized police force operating within the territorial boundaries of the United States, ostensibly here to meet the crisis.
HokieFanDC

Re: The problem of unvaccinated citizens will be dwarfed by

Post by HokieFanDC »

Techmomof2 wrote:What's coming over our Southern border and being sent all over the country will be a bigger problem.

http://www.dcclothesline.com/2014/06/29 ... rn-border/

America is facing a health crisis of unparalleled proportions. We could be weeks away from an outbreak of several pandemics on our southern border which will lead to the United Nations emerging as a legitimized police force operating within the territorial boundaries of the United States, ostensibly here to meet the crisis.
I like the shout out for Dr. Orient, touting her amazing credential of being executive director for AAPS. I'm sure lots of dipwads are amazed at this inpiring accomplishment.