Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Homebrew

Re: Washington & Lee to remove Confederate Flag

Post by Homebrew »

Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:It's no wonder you resort to things like "haha" or "ok" when you lack facts to support your position that it was a war fought over slavery. Repeating nonsense your middle school history teacher told you without knowing what you're talking about isn't always enough. Your bias is blinding you. You believe the myth of Lincoln as a anti-slavery moral crusader rather than what he actually said and did. Everything I've said is an easily verifiable (or disprovable) fact if you're so inclined.
ip_law-hokie wrote: Haha.
OK. As long as you believe your bullshit, I guess it's fine. Carry on.
Speaking of BS...you've yet to address a single point brought up in this thread.
"Haha" "Nope"
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Why do I want to engage in a legalistic debate with necks who refuse to consider common sense.
Why are you pathologically incapable of addressing actual points that people make rather than throwing out strawman arguments?
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:Why do I want to engage in a legalistic debate with necks who refuse to consider common sense.
Why are you pathologically incapable of addressing actual points that people make rather than throwing out strawman arguments?
I'm capable, just choose not to, neck.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

No, most people just answer slavery because that's what they're told, in order to give the war a moral cause. Most people think Lincoln was some sort of anti-slavery activist and are completely unaware of the facts, or in the case of IP, just ignore them.
Just answering with "slavery" isn't any form of brevity. The one-word answer would be "secession".

Cpt Jagdish wrote: I'm not about to say that I am a Civil War historian. But one of the Youtube comments (can't believe I read them) says:
"I had a leading Civil War historian explain the War like this to our class. Paraphrasing:
People who know nothing about the war say it was about slavery. People who know a fair bit realize that there were a multitude of issues that led to the War. People who have studied the War in detail realize that, yes, it really was about slavery."

Seems about right from my recollection. It seems as if all the other "multitude of issues" had a connection to slavery in some form or another, correct?

Which is why most people just answer: "slavery"
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Homebrew wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:It's no wonder you resort to things like "haha" or "ok" when you lack facts to support your position that it was a war fought over slavery. Repeating nonsense your middle school history teacher told you without knowing what you're talking about isn't always enough. Your bias is blinding you. You believe the myth of Lincoln as a anti-slavery moral crusader rather than what he actually said and did. Everything I've said is an easily verifiable (or disprovable) fact if you're so inclined.
Speaking of BS...you've yet to address a single point brought up in this thread.
"Haha" "Nope"
"Ok."
"Neck"
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Marine Hokie wrote:No, most people just answer slavery because that's what they're told, in order to give the war a moral cause. Most people think Lincoln was some sort of anti-slavery activist and are completely unaware of the facts, or in the case of IP, just ignore them.
Just answering with "slavery" isn't any form of brevity. The one-word answer would be "secession".
Answering "slavery" is the lazy way out...
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Why do I want to engage in a legalistic debate with necks who refuse to consider common sense. You guys win: slavery had nothing to do with the war. everyone thinks that.
Who said slavery had nothing to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Marine Hokie wrote:Good point. Non-seceding states were not invaded.
Delaware and Maryland were also slave states. If the war had been about slavery, one would think that they'd have been invaded too. As it were, Delaware was mostly left alone, and Maryland was occupied only for the purpose of prohibiting secession. Secessionists in Maryland were imprisoned, while slaveowners were not.

RiverguyVT wrote: solid point.
perfect examples- Michigan, CT, RI, Mass.
Didn't secede. Didn't find themselves at war.

what about tax revenues derived from slave trade activity?
what about states that had laws essentially saying "no new slaves allowed" but simultaneously allowing for existing slaves to be "grandfathered in"?

Seems like if the war was due to "slavery" none of that would have been going on.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Why do I want to engage in a legalistic debate with necks who refuse to consider common sense. You guys win: slavery had nothing to do with the war. everyone thinks that.
Who said slavery had nothing to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was a stretch. The South, I'm told, seceded, "over a multitude of issues." I'm also told that if the south had outlawed slavery and Fitty's great, great uncle had a hoo hoo instead of a wang, then the war would still have been fought and Fitty's great uncle buck would have been the first woman in combat.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: That was a stretch. The South, I'm told, seceded, "over a multitude of issues."
You were told that by someone arguing in favor of your position.
ip_law-hokie wrote: I'm also told that if the south had outlawed slavery and Fitty's great, great uncle had a hoo hoo instead of a wang, then the war would still have been fought and Fitty's great uncle buck would have been the first woman in combat.
Do you feel that, if slavery had been outlawed in seceding states, the war would have never happened?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Marine Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: That was a stretch. The South, I'm told, seceded, "over a multitude of issues."
ip_law-hokie wrote: I'm also told that if the south had outlawed slavery and Fitty's great, great uncle had a hoo hoo instead of a wang, then the war would still have been fought and Fitty's great uncle buck would have been the first woman in combat.
Do you feel that, if slavery had been outlawed in seceding states, the war would have never happened?
1. My bad: "Individual state governments seceded, each for their own reasons."

2. Your hypo is as silly as Fitty's Uncle Buck having a woo woo.
SuwaneeTim820
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:

Southern apologists and their revisionist history always crack me up. "95% of historians disagree with me? Historian smishtorian! AMIRITE?!" Reminds me of the hilarious global warming "debate."
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:

Southern apologists and their revisionist history always crack me up. "95% of historians disagree with me? Historian smishtorian! AMIRITE?!" Reminds me of the hilarious global warming "debate."
It's cute seeing the silly necks dip and dodge with that heavy chip on their shoulder.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:

The contemporary position of slavery as the cause of the Civil War is revisionist in itself...
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Hokie5150 wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:

The contemporary position of slavery as the cause of the Civil War is revisionist in itself...
Pretty much everyone who has devoted their life to studying the issue disagrees with you.
HokieHighlander

Post by HokieHighlander »

That's an interesting quote you have there Marine...I agree about the welfare state breaking up black families..but slavery DID break up the black family as well as created "light skin vs. dark skin" issue that still goes on till this day especially in black women...I know it's not related to the thread but we were talking about slavery and nvm :arrow:
HokieHighlander

BTW Lincoln didn't give a crap about black folk; I don't care what Spielberg says
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:1. My bad: "Individual state governments seceded, each for their own reasons."
The actual quote is "Individual state governments seceded, each for their own reasons, some of which included slavery." It was a followup to my criticizing of you referring the the seceding states as one entity, leaving for one reason. Do you dispute my statement?
ip_law-hokie wrote:2. Your hypo is as silly as Fitty's Uncle Buck having a woo woo.
How so? Your position is that the war was over slavery. I'm asking whether you think that the war still would have happened if slavery had been outlawed in the seceding states.
Again, all slave states were not invaded, only the ones that seceded. Slaveowners were not arrested and imprisoned in Maryland along with those supporting secession. If the war was about slavery, why wasn't Delaware invaded as well? Why was Maryland only occupied for the purposes of keeping them from seceding, rather than to free the slaves? Why did Lincoln support slavery and enforce slavery laws? Why did Lincoln explicitly say that he wouldn't wage war over slavery, and would only use military force in the south to 1) enforce tariff collection and 2) to prevent secession.

As someone already been pointed out, you have yet to actually make an argument to support your position. Just saying that slavery is the reason for the war doesn't support itself.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieHighlander wrote:That's an interesting quote you have there Marine...I agree about the welfare state breaking up black families..but slavery DID break up the black family as well as created "light skin vs. dark skin" issue that still goes on till this day especially in black women...I know it's not related to the thread but we were talking about slavery and nvm :arrow:
Could you elaborate on this? I honestly don't know. I've heard the term "high yellow" - is this a derogatory term towards blacks with lighter skin?
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

ip_law-hokie wrote:It's cute seeing the silly necks dip and dodge with that heavy chip on their shoulder.
It's a very heavy chip, isn't it?
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

HokieHighlander wrote:BTW Lincoln didn't give a crap about black folk; I don't care what Spielberg says
He wasn't particularly fond of red people either...just sayin'
Last edited by Hokie5150 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Marine Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:1. My bad: "Individual state governments seceded, each for their own reasons."
The actual quote is "Individual state governments seceded, each for their own reasons, some of which included slavery." It was a followup to my criticizing of you referring the the seceding states as one entity, leaving for one reason. Do you dispute my statement?
ip_law-hokie wrote:2. Your hypo is as silly as Fitty's Uncle Buck having a woo woo.
How so? Your position is that the war was over slavery. I'm asking whether you think that the war still would have happened if slavery had been outlawed in the seceding states.
Again, all slave states were not invaded, only the ones that seceded. Slaveowners were not arrested and imprisoned in Maryland along with those supporting secession. If the war was about slavery, why wasn't Delaware invaded as well? Why was Maryland only occupied for the purposes of keeping them from seceding, rather than to free the slaves? Why did Lincoln support slavery and enforce slavery laws? Why did Lincoln explicitly say that he wouldn't wage war over slavery, and would only use military force in the south to 1) enforce tariff collection and 2) to prevent secession.

As someone already been pointed out, you have yet to actually make an argument to support your position. Just saying that slavery is the reason for the war doesn't support itself.
Yes I dispute your statement. What other issues were relevant to these individual southern states' in deciding to secede that were not related to slavery? Name one.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie5150 wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:

Pretty much everyone who has devoted their life to studying the issue disagrees with you.
So, you're saying the consensus among historians 50 years ago was that slavery was the cause of the Civil War?
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

I can see your confusion. Because you're biased in favor of one side, you assume that everyone who doesn't blindly follow along with you is biased in favor of the other side (CSA).
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:It's cute seeing the silly necks dip and dodge with that heavy chip on their shoulder.
It's a very heavy chip, isn't it?
HokieHighlander

Bill Duke did a documentary on this issue called "Dark Girls" that goes into great detail....Basically light skin is viewed as "prettier" as opposed to dark skin...Here's the trailer

Also, yall need to watch School Daze...its a spike lee joint so maybe that's why yall haven't watched it...
High yellow isn't a derogatory...its just what they call some people because you can be deemed as "less black" depending on your skin color because you haven't had to face the challenges that darker skinned blacks have had to face