Ah yes, another fine example from the 'tolerant' left

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Ah yes, another fine example from the 'tolerant' left

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

And to think that KU is a public university where the people's tax dollars go to pay the salary of people like this jerk. I know the media made a HUGE deal out of the unknown 'preacher' in Florida that wanted to burn Korans. Anyone think they'll pick up on this guy making an equally disgusting spectacle?

==========================

KU Journalism Prof Defends Death-wish Tweets Directed at NRA Members' Kids
By Ken Shepherd | September 19, 2013 | 16:30

An unrepentant David Guth doubled down on his hateful tweets wishing death and damnation on NRA members and their children, Katherine Timpf of Campus Reform reported early this morning. "#NavyYardShooting The blood is on the hands of the #NRA. Next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters. Shame on you. May God damn you," the Kansas University journalism professor tweeted on Monday afternoon.

Responding to Campus Reform, Guth refused to recant. "Hell no, hell no, I do not regret that Tweet.... I don't take it back one bit," Timpf quoted him as saying. For now, at least, Kansas University is standing by Guth (Twitter handle: @DWGuth):
KU on Wednesday told Campus Reform that they stand by the professor's right to make such statements.

“Faculty have their own social media accounts and use those to express personal opinions, but those opinions do not represent the university,” spokesman Jack Martin wrote in an email statement to Campus Reform on Wednesday.

While Guth’s Twitter account is personal, his biography includes a link that directs to the school’s website.

“An Eastern Shoreman turned professor and historian,” reads his description. “A devoted husband, father and dog owner. Most important: an independent thinker.”

Official school policy demands all in the community adhere to a standard of “inclusive learning and working environment at the University of Kansas.”

Guth made his comments the same day as the massacre at the Navy Yard in Washington, DC which left 13 people dead including the shooter.

Guth also served as the associate dean of the journalism school from July 2004 to July 2009.
A review of Guth's personal blog, Snapping Turtle, shows that has a pre-existing beef with the fact that handgun ownership by civilians is constitutional. From a July 15 blog post about the George Zimmerman not-guilty verdict:
if you want to be outraged, focus on the guns. Zimmerman probably wouldn't have gone anywhere near Martin if he hadn't been packing heat. Instead, we had two alpha males squaring off and an ensuing tragedy. As long was we treat handguns as if they are constitutionally sacrosanct, this sickening drama will continued to be replayed on the streets of every American town. If you want to be angry, be angry at a gun culture that made this tragedy possible.
That's just one of many blog posts in which Guth (pictured at right) rails against the NRA and gun "nuts," etc.

KU may stand by Guth's right to make an ass of himself on social media -- and his blog -- but Guth's virulent hatred of gun rights advocates would give any pro-gun rights student of his pause. It's not inconceivable that students of Guth's who are pro-Second Amendment may feel intimidated about letting known their personal views on the Second Amendment and gun rights.

It's best not to tick off the vein-popping nutjob who grades your papers, after all.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shephe ... z2fQfCExMW

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: Ah yes, another fine example from the 'tolerant' left

Post by Florida Hokie »

I'm going to respectfully suggest that your own sensibilities are at play a bit here. The FLorida nut got a lot of attention due to the timing of his act. This year, his 9/11 plan got a little attention but it wasn't a headline hog at all. Personally, my preference would be that NO attention be paid to idiots such as these.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:And to think that KU is a public university where the people's tax dollars go to pay the salary of people like this jerk. I know the media made a HUGE deal out of the unknown 'preacher' in Florida that wanted to burn Korans. Anyone think they'll pick up on this guy making an equally disgusting spectacle?

An unrepentant David Guth doubled down on his hateful tweets wishing death and damnation on NRA members and their children, Katherine Timpf of Campus Reform reported early this morning. "#NavyYardShooting The blood is on the hands of the #NRA. Next time, let it be YOUR sons and daughters. Shame on you. May God damn you," the Kansas University journalism professor tweeted on Monday afternoon.

Responding to Campus Reform, Guth refused to recant. "Hell no, hell no, I do not regret that Tweet.... I don't take it back one bit," Timpf quoted him as saying. For now, at least, Kansas University is standing by Guth (Twitter handle: @DWGuth):
KU on Wednesday told Campus Reform that they stand by the professor's right to make such statements.

“Faculty have their own social media accounts and use those to express personal opinions, but those opinions do not represent the university,” spokesman Jack Martin wrote in an email statement to Campus Reform on Wednesday.

While Guth’s Twitter account is personal, his biography includes a link that directs to the school’s website.

“An Eastern Shoreman turned professor and historian,” reads his description. “A devoted husband, father and dog owner. Most important: an independent thinker.”

Official school policy demands all in the community adhere to a standard of “inclusive learning and working environment at the University of Kansas.”

Guth made his comments the same day as the massacre at the Navy Yard in Washington, DC which left 13 people dead including the shooter.

Guth also served as the associate dean of the journalism school from July 2004 to July 2009.
A review of Guth's personal blog, Snapping Turtle, shows that has a pre-existing beef with the fact that handgun ownership by civilians is constitutional. From a July 15 blog post about the George Zimmerman not-guilty verdict:
if you want to be outraged, focus on the guns. Zimmerman probably wouldn't have gone anywhere near Martin if he hadn't been packing heat. Instead, we had two alpha males squaring off and an ensuing tragedy. As long was we treat handguns as if they are constitutionally sacrosanct, this sickening drama will continued to be replayed on the streets of every American town. If you want to be angry, be angry at a gun culture that made this tragedy possible.
That's just one of many blog posts in which Guth (pictured at right) rails against the NRA and gun "nuts," etc.

KU may stand by Guth's right to make an ass of himself on social media -- and his blog -- but Guth's virulent hatred of gun rights advocates would give any pro-gun rights student of his pause. It's not inconceivable that students of Guth's who are pro-Second Amendment may feel intimidated about letting known their personal views on the Second Amendment and gun rights.

It's best not to tick off the vein-popping nutjob who grades your papers, after all.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

My only point was, the FL preacher thing was some obscure story (sort of like this one is) that no one would have ever heard about had it not been for the media picking it up and blaring it over their airwaves. I would agree that neither of these stories should be worthy of national attention, but if they're going to cherry pick stories, they should at least try to be fair and balanced about it.
Florida Hokie wrote:I'm going to respectfully suggest that your own sensibilities are at play a bit here. The FLorida nut got a lot of attention due to the timing of his act. This year, his 9/11 plan got a little attention but it wasn't a headline hog at all. Personally, my preference would be that NO attention be paid to idiots such as these.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:And to think that KU is a public university where the people's tax dollars go to pay the salary of people like this jerk. I know the media made a HUGE deal out of the unknown 'preacher' in Florida that wanted to burn Korans. Anyone think they'll pick up on this guy making an equally disgusting spectacle?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:My only point was, the FL preacher thing was some obscure story (sort of like this one is) that no one would have ever heard about had it not been for the media picking it up and blaring it over their airwaves. I would agree that neither of these stories should be worthy of national attention, but if they're going to cherry pick stories, they should at least try to be fair and balanced about it.
Florida Hokie wrote:I'm going to respectfully suggest that your own sensibilities are at play a bit here. The FLorida nut got a lot of attention due to the timing of his act. This year, his 9/11 plan got a little attention but it wasn't a headline hog at all. Personally, my preference would be that NO attention be paid to idiots such as these.

Remind me again???- has this investigation already concluded and the NRA charged with murder? Which NRA members were shooting up people at the Navy Yard? Have they traced the weapons back to the NRA gun range? oh yeah..this liberal scum bag professor is full of excrement... got it..
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:they should at least try to be fair and balanced about it.
That made me LOL

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:My only point was, the FL preacher thing was some obscure story (sort of like this one is) that no one would have ever heard about had it not been for the media picking it up and blaring it over their airwaves. I would agree that neither of these stories should be worthy of national attention, but if they're going to cherry pick stories, they should at least try to be fair and balanced about it.
I'd rather they just ignore them - like the Westboro people. It's inexplicable how those clowns keep getting headlines.
miles

Post by miles »

Perhaps, as Upstate,suggested, it's "explicable" by the orientation or rather the bias of the media spreading its gospel.
Florida Hokie wrote:
I'd rather they just ignore them - like the Westboro people. It's inexplicable how those clowns keep getting headlines.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Is this a national story? I've never heard of David Guth until now, and doing a Google search doesn't bring up any national news organizations with stories on this. The only "news" reports are from local news, and rightwing websites and blogs.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Of course it's not a national story and it won't be. That was the whole point of my post! This will not be a national story because it does not fit the national media's narrative, and to report it would make their side (the left) look bad.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Aah. I misread your meaning. I don't agree that planning a "burn the religious text of a huge group of people" is on the same low level of some professor tweeting stupid crap. But, I do agree no one should really care about either of these dimwits.
They're both horrible examples of the extreme left and right of our country.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Of course it's not a national story and it won't be. That was the whole point of my post! This will not be a national story because it does not fit the national media's narrative, and to report it would make their side (the left) look bad.
nc87

Post by nc87 »

I agree. Those who are so in favor of gun rights deserve all that guns bring with them- the feeling of security, sure. But also innocent murders and mass killings. Blood is on the hands of those who protect gun rights, and it'd only be fair for them to feel the wrath of gun violence. I join this Kansas man in hoping only those who support gun rights have to deal with friends or family dying at the hand of a gun. Especially those who vote to defend our "gun rights"- maybe if they had to deal with murder of innocent loved ones, they'd see the light and do what they can to stop it from happening to others in the future.