Imagine if the thousands of people going to NFL

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nc87

Re: Re:

Post by nc87 »

Marine Hokie wrote:
He actually suggested that people go to church, then the game. That the morality and/or salvation of people would necessarily change as a result was already rebuked before I joined the topic.
I'm rebuking your position.
I see. I'm in no position (nor is anyone on this board, IMO) to determine morality and/or salvation. However, it would be pretty easy to see the negative economic impact (because there are #s we can see, not just salvation or morality we can make an empty claim to) if everyone went to church instead of NFL games. Not sure which position of mine you're rebuking, but I'm not the one suggesting society's flaws might be based on people going to NFL games instead of church- thats the OP. That is a pretty scary and extreme position IMO, but if my disagreement with that train of thought is a bigger concern to you, to each his own.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nc87 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
He actually suggested that people go to church, then the game. That the morality and/or salvation of people would necessarily change as a result was already rebuked before I joined the topic.
I see. I'm in no position (nor is anyone on this board, IMO) to determine morality and/or salvation. However, it would be pretty easy to see the negative economic impact (because there are #s we can see, not just salvation or morality we can make an empty claim to) if everyone went to church instead of NFL games. Not sure which position of mine you're rebuking, but I'm not the one suggesting society's flaws might be based on people going to NFL games instead of church- thats the OP. That is a pretty scary and extreme position IMO, but if my disagreement with that train of thought is a bigger concern to you, to each his own.
That makes sense...if you assume they burn the money they would've spent on the football game.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
That makes sense...if you assume they burn the money they would've spent on the football game.
Obviously the solution is for the government to have professional sports teams in every city, then pass a law requiring everyone to attend. Think of all the economic stimulus!
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
nc87

Post by nc87 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:

As someone else mentioned, when you go to a local football game, you support the local economy. If I choose to re-invest the money I spend on football elsewhere, it will likely be another event or vacation- and likely will not be spent locally. For example, instead of going to the Panthers Giants game this past weekend, I chose to go to the beach.

You could also take your logic and use that in terms of morality and going to church. Going to church to increase whatever an individuals view of morality is would make sense.... if you assume they are praying and following the morality of their religion very strictly outside of church, too. What about those who go to church but go home afterwards to drink themselves into a stupor, beat their wife, and curse as they watch their team on TV?

Everything is relative. The main point being, I think going to church instead of NFL would be bad. The OP thinks it would be good. Like religion, no one knows who is right.... but the negative economic impact is a guarantee. Salvation is not, because the wrong religion may have been chosen
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Marine Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
Obviously the solution is for the government to have professional sports teams in every city, then pass a law requiring everyone to attend. Think of all the economic stimulus!
Genius. Why hasn't anyone thought of this?

I just paid my kids to play a game of HORSE in the driveway. Boom....stimulus. Can I write this off on my taxes?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nc87 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:

As someone else mentioned, when you go to a local football game, you support the local economy. If I choose to re-invest the money I spend on football elsewhere, it will likely be another event or vacation- and likely will not be spent locally. For example, instead of going to the Panthers Giants game this past weekend, I chose to go to the beach.

You could also take your logic and use that in terms of morality and going to church. Going to church to increase whatever an individuals view of morality is would make sense.... if you assume they are praying and following the morality of their religion very strictly outside of church, too. What about those who go to church but go home afterwards to drink themselves into a stupor, beat their wife, and curse as they watch their team on TV?

Everything is relative. The main point being, I think going to church instead of NFL would be bad. The OP thinks it would be good. Like religion, no one knows who is right.... but the negative economic impact is a guarantee. Salvation is not, because the wrong religion may have been chosen
Slow down there beached, you're going to hurt your back moving those goalposts so fast.

BTW...if you go to church and tithe $300....which is then spent on the local homeless population...that's $300 directly to local liquor stores.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

USN_Hokie wrote:I just paid my kids to play a game of HORSE in the driveway. Boom....stimulus. Can I write this off on my taxes?
No tax break but the laying out the court, pouring concrete, buying and putting up the basketball goal and the painting of the trey line/lane/foul stripe would be considered shovel ready and you would get a $1,000,000 stimulus fund check.

You would have to put up a sign though.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

nc87

Post by nc87 »

USN_Hokie wrote: BTW...if you go to church and tithe $300....which is then spent on the local homeless population...that's $300 directly to local liquor stores.
Ha! More like $300 that will go directly towards expansion of the church and furthering the efforts to brainwash anyone willing.

I gotta say, you guys are persistent. Truly trying to economically equate a non-profit to a billion dollar industry.... amazing
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

nc87 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: BTW...if you go to church and tithe $300....which is then spent on the local homeless population...that's $300 directly to local liquor stores.
Ha! More like $300 that will go directly towards expansion of the church and furthering the efforts to brainwash anyone willing.

I gotta say, you guys are persistent. Truly trying to economically equate a non-profit to a billion dollar industry.... amazing
I'm trying to resist arguing your economic misconceptions, but how many of your dollars spent at Panthers games do you think stays local as opposed to money donated to church or elsewhere?
Sporting events don't provide the economic boost to a local economy that you think they do. There are countless studies proving this, and showing that pro sports teams are often a drain on an economy in what can be measured, not to mention what isn't measured. For instance, the olympics are generally net negatives to the host city economically.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
nc87

Post by nc87 »

Marine Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:

I'm trying to resist arguing your economic misconceptions, but how many of your dollars spent at Panthers games do you think stays local as opposed to money donated to church or elsewhere?
Sporting events don't provide the economic boost to a local economy that you think they do. There are countless studies proving this, and showing that pro sports teams are often a drain on an economy in what can be measured, not to mention what isn't measured. For instance, the olympics are generally net negatives to the host city economically.

I single handedly at one game deal with more people employed by the Panthers than are employed at an entire (average) church. Someone earlier in the thread said 4-5 people employed by most churches, IIRC? Well, when going to a Panthers game, theres the person directing traffic, the person you pay to get your parking ticket, security at the entrance, a ticket-taker, someone selling programs once you are in, and however many different food/beverage stands I went to, theres at least one person working each of those. I'm trying to resist telling you all how blinded you are by your cult
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

nc87 wrote:I single handedly at one game deal with more people employed by the Panthers than are employed at an entire (average) church. Someone earlier in the thread said 4-5 people employed by most churches, IIRC? Well, when going to a Panthers game, theres the person directing traffic, the person you pay to get your parking ticket, security at the entrance, a ticket-taker, someone selling programs once you are in, and however many different food/beverage stands I went to, theres at least one person working each of those. I'm trying to resist telling you all how blinded you are by your cult
And there's more people employed at a Panthers' game than at a plumber's office. Does that mean you should call the Panthers when your toilet is stopped up?

The purpose of going to church is not economic development.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nc87 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: ...etc.. Truly trying to economically equate a non-profit to a billion dollar industry.... amazing
What does this even mean? :?: :idea: :?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nc87 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:

I single handedly at one game deal with more people employed by the Panthers than are employed at an entire (average) church. Someone earlier in the thread said 4-5 people employed by most churches, IIRC? Well, when going to a Panthers game, theres the person directing traffic, the person you pay to get your parking ticket, security at the entrance, a ticket-taker, someone selling programs once you are in, and however many different food/beverage stands I went to, theres at least one person working each of those. I'm trying to resist telling you all how blinded you are by your cult

*(chuckling)... isn't that cute?
So, you'll compare 60,000 people at one place, a game, to 300 people at another one place, a small church?
m'kay.

Redirect--------> can you define "cult"?

I've seen you use that word several times now in this thread. Just wanted to be sure everyone would use that word the same way, so we have a baseline on what's being discussed. When you say "cult", what were you meaning for that word to convey?

tia
Salute the Marines
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

nc87 wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:

You're moving goalposts again, and you're ignoring what people have already said. You should read actual studies instead of repeating propaganda that no economist believes. While most local politicians of both D and R favor subsidizing stadiums and claim there's an economic boost, most democrats area very much against it.
Stadiums aren't the job creator you seem to think they are. While they do employ many people per game, these are part-time and temporary jobs that are the equivalent to a very small business of full time jobs. Most of the money is moved away.
Though Krugman could probably find a way to be in favor of it, you'll have a hard time even finding a Keynesian economist who won't tell you that pro sports teams are typically an economic drain on a local economy. At best, money is shifted from one place to another locally. At worst, money is moved out of the local economy to players, owners, and the federal government.
RiverguyVT

Re: Imagine if the thousands of people going to NFL

Post by RiverguyVT »

nc87 wrote:
BigDave wrote:
nc87 wrote:
nc87 wrote: Church, on the other hand, does absolutely nothing to help the economy- in fact they drain resources and contribute zero. Nothing makes me more angry than seeing my tax dollars go to traffic cops directing traffic in and out of mega churches
This is obviously trolling and I will not dignify it with a response.

How is that trolling? How about explaining how church does help the economy? And I am genuinely angry when I see a traffic cop at a mega church directing traffic- the church does not pay taxes and IMO does not deserve free traffic cops

actually, churches pay for that. It isn't free. they pay for it.

Now your blood can stop boiling. :)
Salute the Marines
miles

Re: Imagine if the thousands of people going to NFL

Post by miles »

RiverguyVT wrote:
nc87 wrote:
BigDave wrote:
nc87 wrote:
nc87 wrote: Church, on the other hand, does absolutely nothing to help the economy- in fact they drain resources and contribute zero. Nothing makes me more angry than seeing my tax dollars go to traffic cops directing traffic in and out of mega churches
This is obviously trolling and I will not dignify it with a response.

How is that trolling? How about explaining how church does help the economy? And I am genuinely angry when I see a traffic cop at a mega church directing traffic- the church does not pay taxes and IMO does not deserve free traffic cops

actually, churches pay for that. It isn't free. they pay for it.

Now your blood can stop boiling. :)
:lol: