Ten commandments outside supreme court vandalized.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

Ten commandments outside supreme court vandalized.

Post by oaktonhokie »

Whew. Just in time.

What if an impressionable child had seen them?

Militant atheists, looking out for all of us.

I'll bet it's not reinstalled. It might offend someone.

Someone from the sophisticated, tolerant left.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... Washington
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Ten commandments outside supreme court vandalized.

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:Whew. Just in time.

What if an impressionable child had seen them?

Militant atheists, looking out for all of us.

I'll bet it's not reinstalled. It might offend someone.

Someone from the sophisticated, tolerant left.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... Washington
Do we really want DC hearing a message of "do not steal" or "do not covet your neighbor's house"? Just imagine how different politics would be if those two commandments were followed?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
patriothokie

Post by patriothokie »

Last edited by patriothokie on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
nc87

Post by nc87 »

Sad it took vandalism to do such a thing.... never should've been there to begin with. Thanks for sharing this good news!
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nc87 wrote:Sad it took vandalism to do such a thing.... never should've been there to begin with. Thanks for sharing this good news!
Look who didn't bother to read the article!

You don't think the 10 commandments belong on the private property of a faith outreach ministry?
nc87

Post by nc87 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nc87 wrote:Sad it took vandalism to do such a thing.... never should've been there to begin with. Thanks for sharing this good news!

You don't think the 10 commandments belong on the private property of a faith outreach ministry?
Damn, you caught me.

And no, I don't think the 10 commandments belong on the private property of a faith outreach ministry. I think they belong in the trash with my leftover banana peels and shredded credit card bills. But.... I guess if a cult wants to advertise itself, they do have the right....
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I await your post mocking the Muslims. Tell us how the Koran belongs in the trash with potato peels and waste paper.

Tell us how diaper heads look stupid dressed like that, and how their religion of peace is a Trojan horse.

Go ahead....

nc87 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Damn, you caught me.

And no, I don't think the 10 commandments belong on the private property of a faith outreach ministry. I think they belong in the trash with my leftover banana peels and shredded credit card bills. But.... I guess if a cult wants to advertise itself, they do have the right....
nc87

Post by nc87 »

Oakton, I think all religions are violence-inducing, brainwashing entities. Muslims are no better than christians, and christians are no better than muslims, IMO. People are people, and I have no right to determine who "chose" the "correct" religion. I figure you do enough muslim-bashing that I don't need to chime in, but I'll happily put the Koran or any other holy book right in the dumpster with the bible and 10 commandments. They're all equally ridiculous, IMO. Unlike you, I don't discriminate based on religion
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

It appears to me that oakton didn't bother to read the article. Or, he just posted in a manner to be purposefully misleading.

1) It is no "outside the Supreme Court" in the manner that oakton implies. It is outside the faith ministry.
2) Whether it is reinstalled or not has nothing to do with anyone other than the ministry, not someone making a decision as to whether it would offend someone. oakton would like you to believe that some govt agency will be making that decision, and of course, since they are libs, they won't.

USN_Hokie wrote:

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

nc87 wrote:... I have no right to determine who "chose" the "correct" religion ...
I would think that would be a pretty important question to attempt to find an answer to. Eternity is a long time to be wrong.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Tafkam Hokie

Post by Tafkam Hokie »

nc87 wrote:Oakton, I think all religions are violence-inducing, brainwashing entities. Muslims are no better than christians, and christians are no better than muslims, IMO. People are people, and I have no right to determine who "chose" the "correct" religion. I figure you do enough muslim-bashing that I don't need to chime in, but I'll happily put the Koran or any other holy book right in the dumpster with the bible and 10 commandments. They're all equally ridiculous, IMO. Unlike you, I don't discriminate based on religion
This is what is so frustrating about an awful lot of organized religion out there. The religion itself isn't a violence-inducing, brainwashing entity...it is hopelessly misguided individuals who wrap their own megalomania up in religion and use it to explain why the horrible things they want done are really in God's name.

It doesn't matter if the decent and reasonable Christians, Jews, and Muslims outnumber those yogurtheads by 10000-to-1, that one is the one that will at best make headlines and at worse start wars and work toward genocide.

There are some wonderful things to be gained from a life of faith. But that message is drowned out by the constant bombardment of utter stupidity in this world perpetuated in the name of faith.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Fair points. I respect consistency.

You seem to relish Christian bashing, while uncomfortable Muslims bashing.

nc87 wrote:Oakton, I think all religions are violence-inducing, brainwashing entities. Muslims are no better than christians, and christians are no better than muslims, IMO. People are people, and I have no right to determine who "chose" the "correct" religion. I figure you do enough muslim-bashing that I don't need to chime in, but I'll happily put the Koran or any other holy book right in the dumpster with the bible and 10 commandments. They're all equally ridiculous, IMO. Unlike you, I don't discriminate based on religion
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

When I first saw the tablets behind the Supreme Court Buildi

Post by Major Kong »

I thought the way the 10 Commandments were oriented was showing folks what should have been written on the tablets Moses is holding on the East Pediment of the Supreme Court Building.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

And you're the guy calling for the death of sensible politicians whom you disagree. More of the same violent atheism that murdered hundreds of millions last century?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
nc87 wrote:... I have no right to determine who "chose" the "correct" religion ...
I would think that would be a pretty important question to attempt to find an answer to. Eternity is a long time to be wrong.
Complete tangent....87's quote reminded my of one of my favorite Simpson's exchanges....

(Homer buys a crate of Duff beer and a packet of cigars at the Kwik-E-Mart)

Homer: Apu! I see you're not in church!

Apu: Oh, but I am! I have a shrine to Ganesha, the god of worldly wisdom, located in the employee lounge!

Homer: (approaching the shrine) Hey, Ganesha, want a peanut?

Apu: Please do not offer my god a peanut.

Homer: No offense Apu, but when they were handing out religions, you must have been out taking a whiz.

Apu: (angrily) Mr. Simpson, please pay for your purchases and get out and (cheerfully) come again!

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-simpsons/ho ... etic-1347/
nc87

Post by nc87 »

awesome guy wrote:
And you're the guy calling for the death of sensible politicians whom you disagree. More of the same violent atheism that murdered hundreds of millions last century?
I don't want Cruz dead because of his religious beliefs or practices, I want him dead because he supports ideas that will kill off many poor people. I don't discriminate based on religion like you do- they're all idiotic brainwashing tactics
nc87

Post by nc87 »

BigDave wrote:
LOL! I'm glad you're so arrogant that you KNOW in your head you've chosen the correct religion. I admit that I don't know- and anyone who claims to KNOW for sure which religion is correct- is the exact reason I will never be religious.

You do realize those muslims who crashed planes into the Twin Towers did so because they KNEW they had chosen the right religion- and were doing that act of terror in the name of their god?

What makes you right and them wrong? You're both 100% sure you're correct- so obviously someone is wrong here. I happen to align closer to the belief that not killing people in the name of your god seems the logical "choice", but again, no one knows, and anyone who claims to KNOW is a liar.

No one can ever figure out the correct religion, if there is one. It is impossible to prove true or false. Congratulations on convincing yourself you chose the right one- but I hate to tell you, that doesn't make you any better (or more correct in your beliefs) than me or any muslim, jew, buddhist, etc.