Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Notre Dame to begin accepting illegal immigrants

Post by awesome guy »

WOW

Why would the finance the education of people that can't legally work in the US and aren't returning to their nations of origin after studies? They're building leverage so that "all these illegal college graduates" can obtain amnesty. I know the left will claim racism, but it's really about following the law and fairness. The aliens going through our immigration system are the ones that should be first in line, not those hoping the fence and demanding accommodation. Being in the back of the line means the next person served is the immigrant following the rules, not the law breaker.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Re: Notre Dame to begin accepting illegal immigrants

Post by HokieFanDC »

How is this even possible? These people are technically criminals. Are they just removing the previous limitation on needing a student visa, so that they can claim that they don't know if they are illegal aliens? Doesn't seem like they would be able to knowingly recruit illegal aliens.

awesome guy wrote:WOW

Why would the finance the education of people that can't legally work in the US and aren't returning to their nations of origin after studies? They're building leverage so that "all these illegal college graduates" can obtain amnesty. I know the left will claim racism, but it's really about following the law and fairness. The aliens going through our immigration system are the ones that should be first in line, not those hoping the fence and demanding accommodation. Being in the back of the line means the next person served is the immigrant following the rules, not the law breaker.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Illegal immigrants are not eligible for federal student aid, but the university’s announcement signals that Notre Dame would make up the difference between the cost and what the student and his or her family can afford.
Really? Isn't that nice? So while American students graduate with tens of thousands of dollars in student loans, Notre Dame is using the proceeds of those loans to give free or highly discounted admission to illegal aliens.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:How is this even possible? These people are technically criminals. Are they just removing the previous limitation on needing a student visa, so that they can claim that they don't know if they are illegal aliens? Doesn't seem like they would be able to knowingly recruit illegal aliens.

I think this from the Obama admin's policy of not enforcing immigration laws and this is part of his "dream" initiative. I wouldn't be surprised if they were told to do so in one of those closed door meetings/Caribou Coffee unofficial meetings.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:How is this even possible? These people are technically criminals. Are they just removing the previous limitation on needing a student visa, so that they can claim that they don't know if they are illegal aliens? Doesn't seem like they would be able to knowingly recruit illegal aliens.

If they are doing what you suggest, imagine the civil suit when a (just one example) Juan Sandusky with a mile long rap sheet from his home country is admitted to the school.

This is another great example where the Catholic Church proves they're a bunch of idiots. By siding with the left on issues like this, they're giving legitimacy to the arguments of the party which would destroy them. Win the battle, lose the war.....
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

But the real issue is how many of the illegals will have girlfriends they've never met. :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Jesuits ? Right? Who cares what the extent of their charity is? It's charity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

USN_Hokie wrote:

If they are doing what you suggest, imagine the civil suit when a (just one example) Juan Sandusky with a mile long rap sheet from his home country is admitted to the school.

This is another great example where the Catholic Church proves they're a bunch of idiots. By siding with the left on issues like this, they're giving legitimacy to the arguments of the party which would destroy them. Win the battle, lose the war.....
Catholic Church is consistent in its views. They won't change them because the Looney left shares some views.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I wouldn't call this consistent at all, but even if I conceded that point for the sake of argument, they've gone way past just affirming their (ridiculous, IMO) position on immigration.

What was your old handle?

Homebrew wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Catholic Church is consistent in its views. They won't change them because the Looney left shares some views.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

What exactly about their position is ridiculous?
USN_Hokie wrote:I wouldn't call this consistent at all, but even if I conceded that point for the sake of argument, they've gone way past just affirming their (ridiculous, IMO) position on immigration.

Homebrew wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Marine Hokie wrote:What exactly about their position is ridiculous?
Aid and admittance of people in the nation illegally.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Are you talking about the Catholic Church or ND? USN was responding to a post that specifically mentioned the church.

awesome guy wrote:
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Marine Hokie wrote:Are you talking about the Catholic Church or ND? USN was responding to a post that specifically mentioned the church.

awesome guy wrote:
They're one and the same in this context. It's their(ND which is an arm of the Catholic Church) immigration policy. Even if their beliefs are counter to US law, the good book says to follow the laws of the land. On the other hand, what do you do here? The law is one thing and "the leader" is doing the opposite. So is it the law to follow or the leader, from a purely biblical sense? I think law because Obama is technically lawless and so Christians are just as lawless following the lawless man. He really should be impeached(merit based, I get political reality won't let that happen), but that's another topic.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

We've discussed that multiple times on TOB (The Old Board). Christ does not command us to obey the state. At most, Paul suggests that it would be prudent for you to not tick off a government, which is typically a violent entity.

Are you suggesting that a church should obey pro-abortion laws?
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
They're one and the same in this context. It's their(ND which is an arm of the Catholic Church) immigration policy. Even if their beliefs are counter to US law, the good book says to follow the laws of the land. On the other hand, what do you do here? The law is one thing and "the leader" is doing the opposite. So is it the law to follow or the leader, from a purely biblical sense? I think law because Obama is technically lawless and so Christians are just as lawless following the lawless man. He really should be impeached(merit based, I get political reality won't let that happen), but that's another topic.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Marine Hokie wrote:We've discussed that multiple times on TOB (The Old Board). Christ does not command us to obey the state. At most, Paul suggests that it would be prudent for you to not tick off a government, which is typically a violent entity.

awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Yeah, we should unless the law is you have to perform abortions.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

USN_Hokie wrote:I wouldn't call this consistent at all, but even if I conceded that point for the sake of argument, they've gone way past just affirming their (ridiculous, IMO) position on immigration.

Homebrew wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Seems to me that the Church is simply providing charity to the poor. The church simply isn't responsible for the US gubment's failure to police the border. It will always provide support to the poor no matter how they got here.

Is it wrong for the Jesuits to provide tuition free school in Baltimore? I dare say that some of the so-called nonprofit universities-sitting on Billions of dollars in endowments should be doing more than accruing wealth.

Personally, I don't care that much about the actions of a private charity. If we had more of them AND less of government welfare state the country would be better.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Homebrew wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Catholic Church endorse what is essentially an open border policy?
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Homebrew wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Catholic Church endorse what is essentially an open border policy?
http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/ ... reform.cfm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Huh? Who should do what unless the law is you have to perform abortions?
awesome guy wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:We've discussed that multiple times on TOB (The Old Board). Christ does not command us to obey the state. At most, Paul suggests that it would be prudent for you to not tick off a government, which is typically a violent entity.

awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Marine Hokie wrote:Huh? Who should do what unless the law is you have to perform abortions?
awesome guy wrote:

awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Following the law means it's available not that you have to get one
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

So if the law requires Catholic hospitals to perform abortions, you'd be ok with them not following that one?
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Yeah, we should unless the law is you have to perform abortions.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Marine Hokie wrote:So if the law requires Catholic hospitals to perform abortions, you'd be ok with them not following that one?
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Yeah, we should unless the law is you have to perform abortions.
Yes , but that's also a different circumstance. Having to do something unChristian vs. having the right. Like I have the right to be an atheist, but I'm not compelled to be one. It's a right I don't exercise.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

So government force is only bad if it's something unchristian or that you otherwise don't like?
awesome guy wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:So if the law requires Catholic hospitals to perform abortions, you'd be ok with them not following that one?
awesome guy wrote:
Yes , but that's also a different circumstance. Having to do something unChristian vs. having the right. Like I have the right to be an atheist, but I'm not compelled to be one. It's a right I don't exercise.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Marine Hokie wrote:So government force is only bad if it's something unchristian or that you otherwise don't like?
That's not what I said or what I'm getting at. I'm getting at the force element. If I have a right to do something (like choose my own religion or none at all), I'm not forced to exercise that right. It's available, so I don't have to do it.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

What about Notre Dame's right to spend their money however they like? What about a person's right to live wherever they like?

awesome guy wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:So government force is only bad if it's something unchristian or that you otherwise don't like?
That's not what I said or what I'm getting at. I'm getting at the force element. If I have a right to do something (like choose my own religion or none at all), I'm not forced to exercise that right. It's available, so I don't have to do it.