This guy wants to be Lieutenant Governor

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

This guy wants to be Lieutenant Governor

Post by HooFighter »

How much influence does the Lt Gov have? If the Cooch got elected and got struck by lightning or something, would this clown assume the office?

E.W. Jackson says non-Christians are engaged in ‘some sort of false religion’
At a morning sermon Sunday in Northern Virginia, Republican lieutenant governor candidate E.W. Jackson, a Chesapeake pastor, said people who don’t follow Jesus Christ “are engaged in some sort of false religion.”

Jackson offered that view while describing a list of the “controversial” things he believes, and that must be said, as a Christian.

“Any time you say, ‘There is no other means of salvation but through Jesus Christ, and if you don’t know him and you don’t follow him and you don’t go through him, you are engaged in some sort of false religion,’ that’s controversial. But it’s the truth,” Jackson said, according to a recording of the sermon by a Democratic tracker. “Jesus said, ‘I am the way the truth and the life. No man comes unto the Father but by me.’”

It is not the first time Jackson has weighed in with controversial comments on questions of faith and social issues. He has also said that gay people’s “minds are perverted. They are frankly very sick people psychologically and mentally and emotionally.”

The Web site of the Restoration Fellowship Church in Strasburg, where Jackson spoke Sunday, includes a recording of Jackson’s sermon. But a short section that included the “false religion” comment was missing from that part of the recording.

The church’s pastor, Jay Ahlemann, said he agrees with Jackson’s interpretation of scripture. He also said a member of his church staff told him nothing had been deleted from the recording.

As for non-Christians, “I would expect they would be offended,” Ahlemann acknowledged. “It’s not our purpose. And [Jackson] said he did not set out to offend people. It’s his purpose to proclaim what the Bible said as a preacher. That was not a political speech. That was a Bible sermon...Those of us who are Bible-believing Christians are very proud of what he had to say.”

Ahlemann added that the government should not curtail anyone’s religious liberty. While the nation’s founding fathers were Christians, “I don’t want government today to say Christianity is the state religion,” Ahlemann said.

“I want there to be absolute freedom of religion. If someone wants to put a stick in the ground and kneel down and worship that, that’s their choice. Historically, it is a fact that this nation was founded by individuals who were Christians and wanted this to be a Christian nation. That’s truth. That is historical fact,” he said.

Jackson did not respond to a request for comment.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: This guy wants to be Lieutenant Governor

Post by BigDave »

HooFighter wrote:How much influence does the Lt Gov have? If the Cooch got elected and got struck by lightning or something, would this clown assume the office?

I'm looking for the controversial part and not finding it.

Doesn't basically everyone believe that anything contrary to their own religious beliefs (or lack thereof) is false? If I claim religion X is true and if you claim religion Y is true, and religions X and Y have at least one contradictory claim, we can't both be right. We might both be wrong, but we can't possibly both be right.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

BigDave wrote:I'm looking for the controversial part and not finding it.

Doesn't basically everyone believe that anything contrary to their own religious beliefs (or lack thereof) is false? If I claim religion X is true and if you claim religion Y is true, and religions X and Y have at least one contradictory claim, we can't both be right. We might both be wrong, but we can't possibly both be right.
As a private citizen this crackpot can say and believe whatever he wants, but anyone who makes claims like this when he is running for an office that is supposed to represent ALL Virginians should be ashamed of himself.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

HooFighter wrote:As a private citizen this crackpot can say and believe whatever he wants, but anyone who makes claims like this when he is running for an office that is supposed to represent ALL Virginians should be ashamed of himself.
Even if they don't come right out and say it, do you really think that any politician doesn't believe the same thing?

How is this any worse than saying some Americans are bitter people clinging to their guns and religion?

Go through this very simple exercise with me.

Christianity says that there is one God. Jesus is the second Person of that Triune God, He died (literally), was buried (literally), and rose from the grave (literally). Are these things true?

Hinduism says there are lots of gods (either 330 million or 33, depending on which branch you follow ... that's a pretty big range there). Is this claim true?

Atheism says there is no god and we evolved from lesser life forms. Is this claim true?

If you are honest, you cannot answer "yes" to more than one of these things. Any of the options that are not true are, by definition, false.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
HooFighter wrote:How much influence does the Lt Gov have? If the Cooch got elected and got struck by lightning or something, would this clown assume the office?

I'm looking for the controversial part and not finding it.

Jackson's other issues notwithstanding - I think Hoof has inadvertently pointed out why we're so often stuck with cheesedick politicians. I have no doubt that if McAuliffe was asked a boilerplate religious question, he'd either turn away and pretend he never heard it, or state that his staff would reply after consulting his advisers (don't laugh, he's already done this at least twice for stupid, obvious questions).

We get the politicians we deserve, I guess. :?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HooFighter- The guy was on the job as a preacher.

The city of Richmond has a mayor who is also a pastor. He has a D after his name. Do you suppose he's ever said anything like that from the pulpit? I bet he has.

Oh. The Lt Gov isn't also running a prostitute ring. Not so sure the mayor can say the same. I'm just sayin'..
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

RiverguyVT wrote:HooFighter- The guy was on the job as a preacher.
Six weeks before the election. Right.
RiverguyVT wrote:The city of Richmond has a mayor who is also a pastor. He has a D after his name. Do you suppose he's ever said anything like that from the pulpit? I bet he has.

Oh. The Lt Gov isn't also running a prostitute ring. Not so sure the mayor can say the same. I'm just sayin'..
This is the part where oakton would come and accuse you of invoking the "oakton doctrine". It has something to do with "your side does it just as bad blah blah". He only seems to point that out when a liberal like me brings it up though. Go figure.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

more like a case of "the R side doesn't do it too" when comparing the candidate to the Mayor...

Look The guy's a preacher. He's going to say stuff like that.
Salute the Marines
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

RiverguyVT wrote:The guy's a preacher. He's going to say stuff like that.
He's not a very smart one if he says stuff like that while trying to win an election.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:The guy's a preacher. He's going to say stuff like that.
He's not a very smart one if he says stuff like that while trying to win an election.
Correct. Common sense answers don't play well with the DWTS crowd...
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:

As a private citizen this crackpot can say and believe whatever he wants, but anyone who makes claims like this when he is running for an office that is supposed to represent ALL Virginians should be ashamed of himself.
Meh. You don't like him and that's fine. But in reality, you REALLY want him to do this. Otherwise, he'd keep his views under wraps and then pull up his skirt after he got elected. Look how often that happens with SC appointees. Whether it's shameful or not, it's transparent, and for that, I'm sure many are thankful. They know where this guy really stands and they can vote accordingly.

I'm much more put off by those who keep their true identity in disguise, until it's too late.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Salute the Marines
Once

Post by Once »

I still don't see the reason for the uproar. I know I'm singing to the choir here, but the man is a Christian preacher. His beliefs are based on scripture and that scripture comes from his definitive source on salvation and the afterlife. Any non Christian who is upset by his beliefs and words needs to examine how comfortable they are with their own stated spirituality. In other words, Jackson's beliefs shouldn't matter to the person who's examined their own faith and come to a decision.

Until Jackson attempts to legislate his beliefs, it's no more relevant than Mr. Romney's belief that the Angel Moroni dropped golden tablets from the heavens for Joseph Smith to start the Church of the Latter Day Saints.

I know nothing about the man, but his religion simply shouldn't matter unless he's trying to incorporate it into how he governs. If he's doing that or has plans to do that, THAT is an actual real problem. Just my 2 cents.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

While he has said many crackpot things, how does this really fall in that category?
If someone doesn't believe in Jesus Christ, or believes in something else, then they probably believe themselves, that Jackson is following a false religion, and wouldn't be offended by what he said at all.

HooFighter wrote: