If you are low income...it pays better NOT to work

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieDan95

If you are low income...it pays better NOT to work

Post by HokieDan95 »

"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
CFB Apologist

Re: If you are low income...it pays better NOT to work

Post by CFB Apologist »

I thought Obama was personally "adding" 250,000 jobs per month?? How can anyone be out of work nowadays?
nc87

Post by nc87 »

Would corporations rather pay high taxes to fund things like unemployment, or pay higher wages? I'm all for raising the minimum wage to something people can actually live off of.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nc87 wrote:Would corporations rather pay high taxes to fund things like unemployment, or pay higher wages? I'm all for raising the minimum wage to something people can actually live off of.

That's a puzzling either/or you've set up.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

CFB Apologist wrote:I thought Obama was personally "adding" 250,000 jobs per month?? How can anyone be out of work nowadays?

Obamacare is a wrecking ball
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
nc87 wrote:Would corporations rather pay high taxes to fund things like unemployment, or pay higher wages? I'm all for raising the minimum wage to something people can actually live off of.

Somebody can do the research, and we can argue about the numbers, but I think we all agree that a large percentage of Walmart, Target, etc. workers are on public assistance. I think that is the basis for his point.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Do you want government to set all wages? If government should set the minimum wage, why not the maximum wage?

Why not all wages in between?

How about prices...? Why shouldn't the government protect us from greedy business owners, the bourgeoisie?

How about a cap on profits, the government should not allow people to get rich on the aching backs of workers, right?

And um, what's a "living wage'?" Should the box boy at kmart get $35,000 per year? A sixteen year old working a summer job in high school.... needs a living wage?

Government knows best. Does government know everything?

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Somebody can do the research, and we can argue about the numbers, but I think we all agree that a large percentage of Walmart, Target, etc. workers are on public assistance. I think that is the basis for his point.
Is that what he's getting at? I'm still stuck on his taxes/wages dichotomy... not to mention his taxes/'fund' unemployment supposition.
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Is that what he's getting at? I'm still stuck on his taxes/wages dichotomy... not to mention his taxes/'fund' unemployment supposition.
unemployment is probably not a good example. but given that Walmart is making billions in profit while not paying it's workers enough to avoid public assistance, is an argument for raising the minimum wage.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I would doubt a large percentage are, a lot of those workers are most likely using that as a second income or the spouse working while the other spouse is also working. But yes if you are that unskilled or have that many employment issues then yes it will be hard to get the car and the big screen tv on lower wages. But if you raise everyones wage way up for totally non-skilled work then those people are still screwed as that car or tv now costs three times as much, and your groceries cost three times as much as if you increase by 100% the wage for workers at the lowest level then those employers have zero choice but to jack up the sales prices on its products as the biggest cost factor for them is probably labor and you can't lose money forever (unless you are the federal gov.)
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

ip_law-hokie wrote:unemployment is probably not a good example. but given that Walmart is making billions in profit while not paying it's workers enough to avoid public assistance, is an argument for raising the minimum wage.
Why isn't it an argument for stopping public assistance?

When you subsidize something, you encourage it. If you subsidize low-paying jobs and you tell someone making $20K that you're going to give them as much take home as they would get if they made $40K, why in the world would they ever want to take steps to improve themselves?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Billions in profit? what are their sales? How does a company expand if it does not make a profit and how is the gov. going to be funded if they are not making billions in profits?
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

unemployment is probably not a good example. but given that Walmart is making billions in profit while not paying it's workers enough to avoid public assistance, is an argument for raising the minimum wage.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:unemployment is probably not a good example. but given that Walmart is making billions in profit while not paying it's workers enough to avoid public assistance, is an argument for raising the minimum wage.
Why isn't it an argument for stopping public assistance?

When you subsidize something, you encourage it. If you subsidize low-paying jobs and you tell someone making $20K that you're going to give them as much take home as they would get if they made $40K, why in the world would they ever want to take steps to improve themselves?
That is also an argument.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Why not just raise minimum wage to $200/hr....wouldn't everyone be able to live great then?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

That's a problem with public assistance, then.....not wages.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Majority of Walmart workers are part-time. So, their pay is immaterial because a living wage is not applicable to PT work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Wal-Mart Stores Profit Margin Quarterly: 3.48% for July 31, 2013
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Corporations, like any consumer, prefer to pay that something is worth. Not all jobs are worth a "living wage". Should one expect to be able to maintain a family of four doing nothing but sweeping the floor?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

You are correct. I forget the percentage, but a large portion of their employees are on some type of public assistance....and Walmart lobbies for more of it....
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Compassionate corporations should pay what their workers need. Not what they're worth.

Hokie5150 wrote:
Corporations, like any consumer, prefer to pay that something is worth. Not all jobs are worth a "living wage". Should one expect to be able to maintain a family of four doing nothing but sweeping the floor?
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:...given that Walmart is making billions in profit while not paying it's workers enough to avoid public assistance, is an argument for raising the minimum wage.
Walmart agrees with you. It seems counterintuitive, but historically large and entrenched businesses favor costly regulations that they can absorb and drive their smaller competitors out of business. Just like Amazon is the driving force behind the internet sales tax federal legislation, Walmart is lobbying in favor of raising the minimum wage, knowing that smaller businesses won't be able to keep up.

Let's say the minimum wage is raised from $7.25 to $12. What happens to the low-wage employees who are only producing $7.25-$11.99 for the businesses? Instead of getting a pay increase, they generally lose their job. Once they lose their job, not only are they not producing anymore, they're getting paid (through government assistance) to not create value. Overall productivity is decreased, resulting in less growth and fewer opportunities.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

You've already taken a half-dozen answers to this post, but my point would be a bit different.
Again, a false choice is being set. You & beached are making it sound like dollar-for-dollar exchange could be made between wage and profit(or tax).
The business is much more organic than that. It is a faulty assumption to make, to assume that $1 spent on more wage would simply reduce profit by $1.
Theoretical, sure. Realistically, no.

By your post, it almost sounds as if the "profit" is a real bad thing. Hurtful, even. Don't fall into that trap. Profit isn't a hazmat on life's pond surface.
Salute the Marines
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

You've already taken a half-dozen answers to this post, but my point would be a bit different.
Again, a false choice is being set. You & beached are making it sound like dollar-for-dollar exchange could be made between wage and profit(or tax).
The business is much more organic than that. It is a faulty assumption to make, to assume that $1 spent on more wage would simply reduce profit by $1.
Theoretical, sure. Realistically, no.

By your post, it almost sounds as if the "profit" is a real bad thing. Hurtful, even. Don't fall into that trap. Profit isn't a hazmat on life's pond surface.[/quote]

I'm elucidating nc87's point (at least in my mind), and did not advocate for a dollar-for-dollar exchange.

I do think its problematic that a very large and profitable company employees, such as Walmart, are largely on public assistance. The government can be viewed as subsidizing this company's business choice to pay these workers at the rate they pay them. I don't think I'm falling into this so-called trap by raising the issue for consideration.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

What about wages being equitable compensation for the value of the service.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Marine Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:...given that Walmart is making billions in profit while not paying it's workers enough to avoid public assistance, is an argument for raising the minimum wage.
Walmart agrees with you. It seems counterintuitive, but historically large and entrenched businesses favor costly regulations that they can absorb and drive their smaller competitors out of business. Just like Amazon is the driving force behind the internet sales tax federal legislation, Walmart is lobbying in favor of raising the minimum wage, knowing that smaller businesses won't be able to keep up.

Let's say the minimum wage is raised from $7.25 to $12. What happens to the low-wage employees who are only producing $7.25-$11.99 for the businesses? Instead of getting a pay increase, they generally lose their job. Once they lose their job, not only are they not producing anymore, they're getting paid (through government assistance) to not create value. Overall productivity is decreased, resulting in less growth and fewer opportunities.

I will grant you this. There should be a provision to allow educated workers to work unpaid, or for an equity interest in a company without pay, when the company is a startup trying to get off the ground. Rules against unpaid labor are tough on startups and young workers trying to get experience and a foot in the door.