In his speech to the UN, our pos in chief

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

In his speech to the UN, our pos in chief

Post by oaktonhokie »

said the world is more stable than it was five years ago.

Five years, I wonder why he chose that time frame...

More stable now, really?

No mention of the Muslims killing Christians, no mention of the killers in Kenya being Muslims.

Referred to "occupied land" by israelies. Occupied land, in Israel.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: In his speech to the UN, our pos in chief

Post by ip_law-hokie »

oaktonhokie wrote:
glad he got at least one thing right.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

oaktonhokie wrote:said the world is more stable than it was five years ago.

Five years, I wonder why he chose that time frame...

More stable now, really?

No mention of the Muslims killing Christians, no mention of the killers in Kenya being Muslims.

I'm pretty sure the land in Gaza, the Golan Heights, and on the West Bank of the Jordan River is still considered to be occupied land.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Palestine- a region, much like "Appalachia" is a region, and not formal state within the union.
Never was a nation.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Are we "occupying" Texas?

La Raza thinks so. Obama probably does too.

California, New Mexico, Arizona?

Time to redraw the map of the United States?

ip_law-hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Ummm, OK oak.

oaktonhokie wrote:Are we "occupying" Texas?

ip_law-hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Is that your answer? Are we occupying Mexico or not?

Are we occupying injun lands too?

ip_law-hokie wrote:Ummm, OK oak.

oaktonhokie wrote:Are we "occupying" Texas?

ip_law-hokie wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

Oak.. there's a difference. The WORLD acknowledges the annexation of Texas and the Gadsden Purchase as legitimate acquisitions by the United States. Mexicans who think they were screwed can suck it and the World will agree with the US. The United Nations has designated Gaza, Golan and the West Bank as occupied territory. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Israel has made any effort to formally annex those lands. In fact they offered Gaza as territory that could become a new Palestinian State. But they have no intention, for security reasons, of pulling their military from the West Bank or Golan.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I tell ya that Levant area is a pain in the neck. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

So the trick is to get other people to accept the stolen land as yours? That makes it morally justified?
What if Israel is abiding by their own government's laws in the conquest of more territory? Doesn't that make it, by definition, legal?

Hokie CPA wrote:Oak.. there's a difference. The WORLD acknowledges the annexation of Texas and the Gadsden Purchase as legitimate acquisitions by the United States. Mexicans who think they were screwed can suck it and the World will agree with the US. The United Nations has designated Gaza, Golan and the West Bank as occupied territory. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Israel has made any effort to formally annex those lands. In fact they offered Gaza as territory that could become a new Palestinian State. But they have no intention, for security reasons, of pulling their military from the West Bank or Golan.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

Marine Hokie wrote:So the trick is to get other people to accept the stolen land as yours? That makes it morally justified?
What if Israel is abiding by their own government's laws in the conquest of more territory? Doesn't that make it, by definition, legal?

Hokie CPA wrote:Oak.. there's a difference. The WORLD acknowledges the annexation of Texas and the Gadsden Purchase as legitimate acquisitions by the United States. Mexicans who think they were screwed can suck it and the World will agree with the US. The United Nations has designated Gaza, Golan and the West Bank as occupied territory. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Israel has made any effort to formally annex those lands. In fact they offered Gaza as territory that could become a new Palestinian State. But they have no intention, for security reasons, of pulling their military from the West Bank or Golan.

Do we have to go over the history on this?

Texas won its Independence from Mexico and existed as a free Republic for nine years. It was its own country during that time before the United States annexed it. Mexico has no claim to it. They lost it.

Then there was a war between Mexico and the United States which Mexico lost again. They ceded by treaty the land that is now California, Navada, Utah, Northern Arizona, Northern New Mexico, and Colorado. Again... they signed away any claim to it. They lost it.

Then the American Ambassador to Mexico, James Gadsden, negotiated the purchase for the United States the land that is now Southern Arizona and Southern New Mexico. The united States BOUGHT that land for consideration rendered. Mexico signed it away and has no claim to it. They SOLD IT.

So how does Mexico have a claim on that land today?

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Didn't Abraham pay someone twice what a chunk of land was worth. Oh. Wait. Different deal. nevermind
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Ah, so territory conquered in war is morally justified.
Hokie CPA wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:So the trick is to get other people to accept the stolen land as yours? That makes it morally justified?

Texas won its Independence from Mexico and existed as a free Republic for nine years. It was its own country during that time before the United States annexed it. Mexico has no claim to it. They lost it.

Then there was a war between Mexico and the United States which Mexico lost again. They ceded by treaty the land that is now California, Navada, Utah, Northern Arizona, Northern New Mexico, and Colorado. Again... they signed away any claim to it. They lost it.

Then the American Ambassador to Mexico, James Gadsden, negotiated the purchase for the United States the land that is now Southern Arizona and Southern New Mexico. The united States BOUGHT that land for consideration rendered. Mexico signed it away and has no claim to it. They SOLD IT.

A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Marine Hokie wrote:Ah, so territory conquered in war is morally justified.
Hokie CPA wrote:

Sure. Why not? Do you think rock , scissors, paper would be a better claim?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Meh...

Post by Major Kong »

The Aztecs ruled most of Central Mexico by conquest...over time Spain conquered Mexico...a priest declared Mexico independent and Mexicans conquered the Spanish...Texas defeated Mexico...the USA defeated Mexico.

The lesson:
To the winner goes the spoils and we've had better luck against Mexico than we have had against Canada. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Yes.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Palestine- a region, much like "Appalachia" is a region, and not formal state within the union.
Never was a nation.
Jordan is the Palestinian homeland
patriothokie

Post by patriothokie »

Last edited by patriothokie on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Has been for centuries
Hokie CPA wrote:

Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

133743Hokie wrote:Has been for millennia
FTFY. Land acquisition has been the basis for war since the dawn of man. Remember Stanley Kubrik's monkeys in 2001: A Space Odyssey? They fought each other over a water hole.

Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

So what is the line? If break into your house and shoot you, is that a morally justified conquest of your land?
Hokie CPA wrote:
FTFY. Land acquisition has been the basis for war since the dawn of man. Remember Stanley Kubrik's monkeys in 2001: A Space Odyssey? They fought each other over a water hole.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

Marine Hokie wrote:So what is the line? If break into your house and shoot you, is that a morally justified conquest of your land?
Hokie CPA wrote:

Course not. Now you're just trolling.

Pretty safe to say that governments/societies conquer, not individuals. Even Kubrik's monkeys weren't two guys fighting over a swimming hole.

Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:So what is the line? If break into your house and shoot you, is that a morally justified conquest of your land?
Hokie CPA wrote:

Pretty safe to say that governments/societies conquer, not individuals. Even Kubrik's monkeys weren't two guys fighting over a swimming hole.
I'm not trolling, I'm making a valid point, consistent with my overall position.

You're saying that a politician who wants more land and has soldiers murder to get it is morally justified, but not if someone did it without being told to by a state. I'm curious how far your standard reaches. Were Mao and Hussein morally justified in invading Tibet and Kuwait?
What if a government steals your land, and you want to take it back? Does the government have the moral high ground here?
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

Marine Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

I'm not trolling, I'm making a valid point, consistent with my overall position.

You're saying that a politician who wants more land and has soldiers murder to get it is morally justified, but not if someone did it without being told to by a state. I'm curious how far your standard reaches. Were Mao and Hussein morally justified in invading Tibet and Kuwait?
What if a government steals your land, and you want to take it back? Does the government have the moral high ground here?
I never said anything about being morally justified. But spoils of war are spoils of war. Moral's got nothin' to do with it.

Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

I never said anything about being morally justified. But spoils of war are spoils of war. Moral's got nothin' to do with it.
Sorry, that was another poster. Five people replied to my post.
So why is there a difference? If I declare war on you, and conquer your house, how is that less acceptable than a politician sending an army to do it? What if I formally annex your land by writing it on a piece of paper and have everyone in my house vote on it?