Serious ? for NC87 and other communists on here

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
CFB Apologist

Serious ? for NC87 and other communists on here

Post by CFB Apologist »

What is a "fair" wage for a person to stand in one place and scan products through a laser that calculates the price and then place said items into a bag? With or without a flippant/bad attitude. What is a fair wage for that skill? Please put a number on it, since you all have it figured out. What is fair?

Please try to interject reality into your answer, communists...like the reality that nearly anyone can perform this job that has a functioning brain level past 4th grade... what is a "fair" wage for that?
patriothokie

Re: Serious ? for NC87 and other communists on here

Post by patriothokie »

Last edited by patriothokie on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

The FAIR wage is whatever wage the employer and the employee can agree to. If there never were a minimum wage, I'll bet plenty of employees would take that kind of job today if the employer offered them $6 per hour. If you think you are worth more then you counteroffer or you walk. But the FACT is that most people working in retail for $7.25 per hour are overpaid.

And now for something completely different...

Last edited by Hokie CPA on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:What is a "fair" wage for a person to stand in one place and scan products through a laser that calculates the price and then place said items into a bag? With or without a flippant/bad attitude. What is a fair wage for that skill? Please put a number on it, since you all have it figured out. What is fair?

Please try to interject reality into your answer, communists...like the reality that nearly anyone can perform this job that has a functioning brain level past 4th grade... what is a "fair" wage for that?
it's so mindless it's now automated with self-checkout. And the cashier position morphs into security.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

You'd have as much luck asking Stevie Wonder to name his favorite painter.

They don't see "work" as having a value, but rather as a means to provide beer/cell phone data plan/weed money. The thing they don't understand is that everything you encounter in life has a value to it, whether they think they're participating or not. For instance, I doubt they'd want to pay $10 for a big mac so the guy who presses the "hamburger" button on the microwave or cash register can earn a "living wage."

Or...look at the minimum wage thread the other day where people thought Walmart (with their 3.45% profit margin) could double their minimum wage "because Walmart makes billions."
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

USN_Hokie wrote:You'd have as much luck asking Stevie Wonder to name his favorite painter.

They don't see "work" as having a value, but rather as a means to provide beer/cell phone data plan/weed money. The thing they don't understand is that everything you encounter in life has a value to it, whether they think they're participating or not. For instance, I doubt they'd want to pay $10 for a big mac so the guy who presses the "hamburger" button on the microwave or cash register can earn a "living wage."

Or...look at the minimum wage thread the other day where people thought Walmart (with their 3.45% profit margin) could double their minimum wage "because Walmart makes billions."

Very well said. NC87 and other lib idiots have ZERO concept of elementary business or econ..if they did, they would have learned that "revenue" is not the same thing as "profit"..they cover this in 11th grade econ in most public schools. Many retailers and fast food chains operate on razor thin "profits"... those evil, rich, owners!!. Its like paying college athletes - with what?? most schools do not even break even in athletic departments today.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

CFB Apologist wrote:most schools do not even break even in athletic departments today.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... /finances/

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

HooFighter wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:most schools do not even break even in athletic departments today.
FYI, to anyone interested, I copied that table into Excel and did a computation of Revenue minus (expenses plus subsidy). In other words, this tells you how many athletics programs really make a profit. Here's the list of the 23 profitable athletics programs:

Texas A&M $32,710,104
Texas $25,025,405
Michigan $24,672,115
Ohio State $17,623,645
Arkansas $15,337,829
LSU $12,798,670
Florida $11,313,451
Alabama $11,233,878
Oklahoma $10,206,288
Kansas State $9,540,897
Washington $5,695,640
Auburn $5,418,812
Nebraska $4,593,970
Texas Tech $3,827,535
Kentucky $2,616,461
Purdue $2,568,125
Oregon $2,450,619
Florida State $1,991,705
Michigan State $1,639,545
Penn State $863,023
Tennessee $592,271
South Carolina $307,047
Indiana $276,814
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

CFB Apologist wrote:NC87 and other lib idiots
Please be civil. Go Hokies. Beat Georgia Tech.
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

BigDave wrote:FYI, to anyone interested, I copied that table into Excel and did a computation of Revenue minus (expenses plus subsidy). In other words, this tells you how many athletics programs really make a profit. Here's the list of the 23 profitable athletics programs:
I did the same thing, only I didn't count the subsidy from the university. I'm no expert, but as far as I see it that is money that they budget for as anticipated revenue. Does Exxon count government subsidies in their profitability (I really don't know the answer to that - I'm just a lib idiot)?

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HooFighter wrote:I'm just a lib idiot
Admission is the first step towards resolution... :lol:
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

HooFighter wrote:
BigDave wrote:FYI, to anyone interested, I copied that table into Excel and did a computation of Revenue minus (expenses plus subsidy). In other words, this tells you how many athletics programs really make a profit. Here's the list of the 23 profitable athletics programs:
I did the same thing, only I didn't count the subsidy from the university. I'm no expert, but as far as I see it that is money that they budget for as anticipated revenue. Does Exxon count government subsidies in their profitability (I really don't know the answer to that - I'm just a lib idiot)?
That's not the best comparison. A better comparison would be whether Wal-Mart would consider one store profitable if half of that store's expenses were paid by another store.

In the case of school athletics, it's all coming from the same pool. If student fees subsidize athletics then that's money you otherwise could have charged for tuition.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

BigDave wrote:
HooFighter wrote:
BigDave wrote:That's not the best comparison. A better comparison would be whether Wal-Mart would consider one store profitable if half of that store's expenses were paid by another store.

In the case of school athletics, it's all coming from the same pool. If student fees subsidize athletics then that's money you otherwise could have charged for tuition.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Fair enough. I think you could take it either way depending on what kind of an argument you are trying to make.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:
HooFighter wrote:I'm just a lib idiot
Admission is the first step towards resolution... :lol:
FTR I do not think in any way or form that HooFighter is a lib idiot. If he was truly a lib idiot his screen name would be HooLover. :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

HooFighter wrote:

Right so, there are 300 plus NCAA D1 and D1aa schools, and 23 make a profit...my point stand... most dont make a profit
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

You'd think with so many institutions losing money on it, that a lot of programs would shut down....I wonder why they don't? Hmmmmmm
CFB Apologist wrote:
HooFighter wrote:

Right so, there are 300 plus NCAA D1 and D1aa schools, and 23 make a profit...my point stand... most dont make a profit
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Because all those athletic programs attract more students in general, so they get more tuition? Or maybe b/c sports is part of being well-rounded? It's a cost of doing business.
Florida Hokie wrote:You'd think with so many institutions losing money on it, that a lot of programs would shut down....I wonder why they don't? Hmmmmmm
CFB Apologist wrote:
HooFighter wrote:

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:You'd think with so many institutions losing money on it, that a lot of programs would shut down....I wonder why they don't? Hmmmmmm
CFB Apologist wrote:
HooFighter wrote:

it's the cost of being a large school. Sports is advertising and creates excitement for the uniersity.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

I'd also offer that CERTAIN people are making money - gobs of it.
awesome guy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
HooFighter wrote:

it's the cost of being a large school. Sports is advertising and creates excitement for the uniersity.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:I'd also offer that CERTAIN people are making money - gobs of it.
fo show. But the schools not making big piles of money also don't have 2 million dollar per year coaches. Except us :/
nc87

Post by nc87 »

CFB Apologist wrote:What is a "fair" wage for a person to stand in one place and scan products through a laser that calculates the price and then place said items into a bag? With or without a flippant/bad attitude. What is a fair wage for that skill? Please put a number on it, since you all have it figured out. What is fair?

Whats a fair wage for someone sitting behind an executive desk having his low level employees doing all the heavy lifting and real work for the company? Whats a fair wage for a CEO who plays golf and goes vacationing more often than he actually works?

Face it, the 1% make way more than they deserve, so its only natural the other 99% are going to feel like we're being slighted. And we are. They CAN afford to provide health care and pay employees fair wages, but an extra 0 at the end of their bank account is more important than the society whom they make all their money off of.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

nc87 wrote:

Whats a fair wage for someone sitting behind an executive desk having his low level employees doing all the heavy lifting and real work for the company? Whats a fair wage for a CEO who plays golf and goes vacationing more often than he actually works?

Face it, the 1% make way more than they deserve, so its only natural the other 99% are going to feel like we're being slighted. And we are. They CAN afford to provide health care and pay employees fair wages, but an extra 0 at the end of their bank account is more important than the society whom they make all their money off of.
Again... FAIR is whatever they can negotiate for themselves. If Company A is willing to pay executive Joe Blow seven figures to keep him from working for Company B, then it's worth it to them. You get whatever you are able to get for yourself. If you have no skills and can't add anymore value to the company than your mastery of a spatula, then you're only going to be able to demand so much before your employer will say, "if you think you're worth that much more, then take your butt across the street and convince them to pay it to you. Around here I can hire 100 people with your same skills and they'll all do it for what I'm offering." in that case, it's simply not worth it to them to pay what you're asking.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

nc87

Post by nc87 »

Hokie CPA wrote:
nc87 wrote:

Again... FAIR is whatever they can negotiate for themselves. If Company A is willing to pay executive Joe Blow seven figures to keep him from working for Company B, then it's worth it to them. You get whatever you are able to get for yourself. If you have no skills and can't add anymore value to the company than your mastery of a spatula, then you're only going to be able to demand so much before your employer will say, "if you think you're worth that much more, then take your butt across the street and convince them to pay it to you. Around here I can hire 100 people with your same skills and they'll all do it for what I'm offering." in that case, it's simply not worth it to them to pay what you're asking.

Yeah, playing golf and watching other people do work while you sit at a desk is extremely valuable. Definitely worth 10s of millions a year
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

nc87 wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
nc87 wrote:

Yeah, playing golf and watching other people do work while you sit at a desk is extremely valuable. Definitely worth 10s of millions a year
That's up to the Board of Directors to decide, not you or me. Or the U.S. Government either, for that matter.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nc87 wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
nc87 wrote:

what kind of argument is that?
:?:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.