Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Obama latte salute vs Bush dog salute

Post by BigDave »

Random question for USN or others who have served: what are you supposed to do if you absolutely cannot salute? You're a medic carrying someone on a stretcher and if you put him down to salute, he will die. What is the protocol?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Uprising wrote:Why didn't bush put the dog down? You are just making excuses for Bush so you can demonize Obama. Your cognitive dissonance is off the charts.
LOL. I don't think USN really thought this one through.

Nope. Again, you guys show your ignorance. But, by all means, keep laughing - you're only making yourselves look like bigger idiots.

Like the Obama picture, Bush is likely being photographed exiting Air Force/Marine One. He's (just finished) carrying the dog down the stairs. See different picture, below:

The person you're suggesting he hand the dog to is the person rendering the salute.
He could do the funky chicken coming down the stairs. It wouldn't matter. When you don't have to salute, the rules don't apply.
Are you confused, or are you purposely continuing to make this same irrational argument? I'm saying that Obama's salute was disrespectful. There are plenty of things which are disrespectful, yet not against any law or regulation.
I'm just glad it's not a big deal to you. LOL.
Oh look, CW is making more stuff up.

Rendering proper honors is a big deal to me. It was not my intent to make a big deal of this issue, as I stating before. When you want to start impugning me, I'm going to reply - thanks. Have a nice day.
SuwaneeTim820
Party: Independent

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

HokieHam wrote:Keep defending the bombing of another sovereign nation.
I have no problem being in support of both this action and the one undertaken in Libya. In both cases, it was the right thing to do.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

USN_Hokie wrote:Rendering proper honors is a big deal to me.
You would be upset at W as well if it was really a big deal to you. Giving him a pass and slamming Obama for it just shows you (to use a phrase DC posted) as a partisan sheep.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

A salute isn't required when it's not practical because you're working or have your arms full.

BigDave wrote:Random question for USN or others who have served: what are you supposed to do if you absolutely cannot salute? You're a medic carrying someone on a stretcher and if you put him down to salute, he will die. What is the protocol?
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
I have no problem being in support of both this action and the one undertaken in Libya. In both cases, it was the right thing to do.
Okay. So we know you support your boy in starting two wars......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:Random question for USN or others who have served: what are you supposed to do if you absolutely cannot salute? You're a medic carrying someone on a stretcher and if you put him down to salute, he will die. What is the protocol?
Each service is a bit different. The navy doesn't wear covers or salute indoors, for example. You also only salute while in uniform (this doesn't apply to the CiC, of course, since he doesn't have one).

In a circumstance like you've laid out (speaking only for the Navy/Marine Corps), a simple acknowledgement of the salute is customary. A common occurrence is being saluted while driving a car (this happens more on Marine bases than Navy ones) or while in civvies. In that circumstance, a nod or hand gesture with a "good morning/afternoon/evening" is all that's required.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Here are the standards.

http://www.usnavy.vt.edu/Marines/PLC_Ju ... s%20SO.pdf

SALUTING
a.
Military Courtesy
Military courtesy is the traditional form of politeness in the profession of arms.
b.
The Military Salute
The salute is the most important of all military courtesies. Over the centuries, men-at-
arms have rendered fraternal and respectful greetings to indi
cate friendliness. This gesture survives as today's hand
salute, which is the traditional greeting among soldiers of all
nations. Regulations require th
at all officers be saluted
by their juniors, and that they return such salutes. The
salute formally recognizes the of
ficer as a military superior,
and returning the salute expresses the officer’s thanks for the junior’s support.
(1)
Individuals entitled to a salute
. Salute all officers senior to you in rank in any of the Armed Forces of the
United States or of friendly foreign governments, officers of the Coast Guard, Geodetic Survey, and of the Public
Health Service who are serving with th
e armed forces of the United States.
(2)
Appointed and el
ected officials
. Individuals of the United St
ates customarily saluted are:
(a) President of the United States
(b) Vice President of the United States
(c) State Governors
(d) Secretary of Defense
(e) Deputy Secretary of Defense
(f) Senators and Congressmen
(g) Secretaries of the Ar
my, Navy and Air Force
(h) Assistant Secretaries of
the Army, Navy and Air Force
(3)
Foreign governments
. Among the members of the friendly foreign governments whom you salute are:
(a) Heads of State
GMK 1010-6
(b) Ambassadors
(c) Ministers of Defense or other civilian leaders of
defense establishments and their assistants at or
above the Assistant Secretary of
the Army, Navy and Air Force
PROCEDURES FOR SALUTING
a. When meeting a senior who is either walking or ridi
ng, salute when six paces away
in order to give time for
the salute to be returned. After a senior has been salute
d, if he remains nearby and no conversation takes place, no
further salutes are necessary. If there is conversation however, the junior would salute as the senior is leaving.
b. Accompany the salute with the appropriate verbal
greeting, such as “Good Morning Sir (or Ma’am),” and
hold the salute until it is returned. If passing an officer who is going in the same direction, approach from the left
side if possible, and accompany the salute with “by your
leave sir (or ma’am).” The senior should respond with a
salute and the response “carry on.” Th
en, break the salute and continue by.
c. As a member of a group not in formation, the first me
mber noticing the senior should call all to attention, and
all will render the salute.
d. Rules for Saluting O
fficers and Uncased Colors.
(1) Saluting distance
. The maximum distance within which salutes are rendered and exchanged is prescribed
as 30 paces. The salute should be
rendered when six paces from the person (or color) to be saluted.
(2) Out-of-doors
. Salute in the open air, the interior of such buildings as drill halls and gymnasiums when
used for drill or exercises of Marines, on the weather deck
s of a man-of-war, or under roofed structures such as
covered walks and shelters open at one or both sides to the weather.
(3) Under arms
. A Marine is under arms when he has a weapon in his/her hand, is equipped with side arms,
or when wearing equipment pertaining to arms, such as sword sling, pistol belt, or cartridge belt.
(4) When overtaking a senior
. Attempt to pass on the left if possibl
e, just before coming abreast, render a
hand salute and say “by your leave, Sir/Ma’am, when acknowledged, (the correct response is “granted or carry on),
cut the salute and pass.
(5) Uncased colors
. Colors and standards not cased are saluted when either you or they approach or pass
within six paces. Hold your salute until the colors
have passed or you have passed the colors by six paces.
(6) Morning and evening colors
. When the National Anthem is played or "To the Colors" (Morning Colors)
or "Retreat" (Evening Colors) is sounded, all military personnel come to attention, face toward the music and salute.
You hold your salute until the last note of the music, but remain at attention until "Carry On" is sounded. If the
National Anthem is being played incident to a ceremony invo
lving the colors, face toward the colors rather than the
music.
e. In some situations, the salute is not appropriate. In general, do not salute when:
(1) Engaged in routine work when a salute would interfere.
(2) Indoors, except when under arms.
(3) Carrying articles with both hands or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impractical.
(4) The rendition of the salute is obv
iously inappropriate, su
ch as in places of public assemblage such as
theaters or churches, and
in public conveyances.
GMK 1010-7
(5) Engaged in driving an automobile. However, whenever practical, you should return the salutes of others
providing the vehicle can be driven safely.
(6) A prisoner chaser does not salute an officer excep
t when addressed by an officer in the line of duty.
(7) In formation, only the person in charge of the formation renders the salute and verbal greeting.
(8) When within sight of the enemy.
f. Special Situations.
(1) Enlisted Marines normally do not salute other enliste
d Marines. They may give
and receive salutes from
other enlisted Marines when in formation and rendering reports.
(2) If a senior remains in the area, but is not engaged in conversation with you, there is no need for a further
salute when he leaves. If you are engaged in conversation, it is required that you salute when you are dismissed or
the conversation ends and you separate.
(3) In the naval services, protocol does not call fo
r saluting when uncovered except for the return of
uncovered salutes rendered first by Army and Air Force pe
rsonnel. The exception in this case follows the general
rule that, "social customs or military
courtesy should always be interpreted so as to prevent awkward situations."
Therefore, the naval service establishes an exception whereby an uncovered salute may be returned. When
uncovered, naval officers initiate salutes by coming to a position of attention.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

HokieHam wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
He's my boy? Funny, I never voted for him. And, no, he hasn't started any wars. Please either 1) read my previous posts on Libya 2) do something to educate yourself on what actually happened, who was involved, and for what reasons or 3) stop trolling.

BTW - You should check out the (relatively) new Bill Janovitz solo album. It's quite good.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

Good lord. Can't we move on to something more important...like how he wears mom jeans and throws like a girl?
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

The only saluting of someone in a car I can think of is at the gate by an MP.

Interestingly, most warrant officers I knew hated to be saluted, and would often "return" their salute so soon and quickly that the enlisted guy wouldn't have even rendered theirs yet.

USN_Hokie wrote:A common occurrence is being saluted while driving a car (this happens more on Marine bases than Navy ones) or while in civvies. In that circumstance, a nod or hand gesture with a "good morning/afternoon/evening" is all that's required.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
You would be upset at W as well if it was really a big deal to you. Giving him a pass and slamming Obama for it just shows you (to use a phrase DC posted) as a partisan sheep.

Like I said - I don't expect you to understand the distinction. There is one, though.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

Like I said - I don't expect you to understand the distinction. There is one, though.
They did the same exact thing. They failed to shift what they were holding and gave a half salute. So you can fall back on, "you wouldn't understand" all you want, the fact of the matter is your anger here is partisan. Otherwise you'd have called out W for it as well.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Marine Hokie wrote:The only saluting of someone in a car I can think of is at the gate by an MP.

Interestingly, most warrant officers I knew hated to be saluted, and would often "return" their salute so soon and quickly that the enlisted guy wouldn't have even rendered theirs yet.

USN_Hokie wrote:A common occurrence is being saluted while driving a car (this happens more on Marine bases than Navy ones) or while in civvies. In that circumstance, a nod or hand gesture with a "good morning/afternoon/evening" is all that's required.
Really? I was saluted while driving on Camp Lejeune all the time. This was when the officers had blue stickers on their cars, so it was more obvious. I don't think they do the stickers any more.

Yeah, the WO thing, as you know, is them "keepin' it real" with the enlisted folks.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

They did the same exact thing. They failed to shift what they were holding and gave a half salute. So you can fall back on, "you wouldn't understand" all you want, the fact of the matter is your anger here is partisan. Otherwise you'd have called out W for it as well.
I gave the distinction - you don't understand it. That's all there is to it.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:The only saluting of someone in a car I can think of is at the gate by an MP.

Really? I was saluted while driving on Camp Lejeune all the time. This was when the officers had blue stickers on their cars, so it was more obvious. I don't think they do the stickers any more.

Yeah, the WO thing, as you know, is them "keepin' it real" with the enlisted folks.
Looks like we have some disagreement from the salute experts.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
He's my boy? Funny, I never voted for him. And, no, he hasn't started any wars. Please either 1) read my previous posts on Libya 2) do something to educate yourself on what actually happened, who was involved, and for what reasons or 3) stop trolling.

BTW - You should check out the (relatively) new Bill Janovitz solo album. It's quite good.

I'm not trolling. Just wanted to clarify some things and got my answer. Sorry, I've had enough of "war" and us being the police of the world. Using our airpower, even in conjunction with allies, is war. We are joining in in attacking a sovereign nation. I couldn't stand when w did it and now we have w light ordering sorties over Syria. I read the other day that Obombya is signing off on all airstrikes...seems we've been there before. This isn't how you should fight war. Get our troops home and then make it known that if we are attacked, our military will wipe you out: your military, your industry and if civilians happen to be in the way.....too bad.

Will do. I was listening to Buffalo Tom just the other day and was wondering what they've been up to lately. I've always been envious of Bill's guitar sound.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

Yeah, epic fail by USN.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Interesting. I don't remember ever saluting someone who was driving around. Maybe it was a when in doubt kind of thing.

When did they stop the blue stickers?

USN_Hokie wrote:

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Not really. I believe we're in agreement on the protocol.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

Yeah, epic fail by USN.
The best part about it is he contradicted his own argument with his "distinction." One of the funnier fails I've seen on here.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Marine Hokie wrote:Interesting. I don't remember ever saluting someone who was driving around. Maybe it was a when in doubt kind of thing.

When did they stop the blue stickers?

USN_Hokie wrote:

I'm not saying everyone did it - just that it was common.

They got rid of base stickers a couple years ago in the MIDLANT region, but they may still use them in other areas. I think the idea is that the stickers are easy to forge and shouldn't be used as a means of ID'ing someone. Makes sense.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

No, we have different anecdotal experiences. We agree that Obama should have either a) not saluted or b) moved the coffee to the left hand in order to give a proper salute.
The president is a civilian and doesn't have to salute, but if he's going to, he should probably make an effort to do it appropriately.
Don't take any of this to mean that I really care whether or how a president salutes.
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

Yeah, epic fail by USN.
The best part about it is he contradicted his own argument with his "distinction." One of the funnier fails I've seen on here.
One more time: Are you purposely being this obtuse, or are you this way all the time Mr. Sock puppet cyber-stalker?
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Marine Hokie wrote:No, we have different anecdotal experiences. We agree that Bush should have either a) not saluted or b) moved the dog to the left hand in order to give a proper salute.
The president is a civilian and doesn't have to salute, but if he's going to, he should probably make an effort to do it appropriately.
Don't take any of this to mean that I really care whether or how a president salutes.
Agreed.