Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
SuwaneeTim820
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Re: Obama latte salute vs Bush dog salute

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

hokie80 wrote:An op/ed piece of this for 2009 NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/opini ... .html?_r=0

I wonder if the author would take issue with Obama on his "latte salute" now.
I don't know. Depends on if he's intellectually honest about it. USN gave W a pass and slammed Obama. He's clearly not being honest with himself about that. He should have just said that in his eyes, both were in the wrong, but he just couldn't help himself.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:I don't expect our friends on the left to understand this, but there is a world of difference between the two examples.

1. The GWB photo shows a man giving a proper salute, albeit contorted while trying to control a dog (saluting while holding something in your left hand is perfectly fine). When I was active duty, there were multiple times I was working with my hands full and made every effort to return a salute, even though I couldn't drop what was in my hands.

2. The Obama photo shows a man who can't be bothered to shift his mocha soy latte to his empty hand before saluting.

Stuff like this is great because it shows how ignorant the left is to all things related to the armed forces.

Stuff like this is great b/c it points out the partisan sheep from both sides.

You could at least post the regulations you're so brillianttly aware of, so that everyone on this thread knows what the emotional nutjubs are whining about. Because, reality is, that unless you've been in the military, there is no reason for anyone to know the rules of saluting. It has nothing to do with being ignorant.

The Navy regulation says that you should not salute when "(3) Carrying articles with both hands or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impractical."

Using that as a guide, you could argue that Obama could have easily made it practical to salute by putting the coffee in his other hand. By the same token, Bush should not have attempted to salute, while carrying the dog in both arms.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

BigDave wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:Bottom line. He doesn't have to do it.
Isn't that like saying that because the restaurant is under no obligation to bring you a complimentary cup of coffee, they are under no obligation to do it correctly and could instead bring you a complimentary cup of sewer water?
Sewer water? Ehh... perhaps the free lollipop at the pediatrician's office is a tad stale.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
BigDave wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:Bottom line. He doesn't have to do it.
Isn't that like saying that because the restaurant is under no obligation to bring you a complimentary cup of coffee, they are under no obligation to do it correctly and could instead bring you a complimentary cup of sewer water?
No.
Okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Uprising wrote:Why didn't bush put the dog down? You are just making excuses for Bush so you can demonize Obama. Your cognitive dissonance is off the charts.
LOL. I don't think USN really thought this one through.

Nope. Again, you guys show your ignorance. But, by all means, keep laughing - you're only making yourselves look like bigger idiots.

Like the Obama picture, Bush is likely being photographed exiting Air Force/Marine One. He's (just finished) carrying the dog down the stairs. See different picture, below:

The person you're suggesting he hand the dog to is the person rendering the salute.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:Iraq and Afghanistan were/are efforts with coalitions that include Middle Eastern countries that included air strikes designed to prevent the slaughtering of innocent people, but you know that. If they are wars, then so are Libya and Syria. So he's started us in at least TWO wars. He also put more troops in Afghanistan before drawing them back out. He escalated that one. And the drone strikes in Pakistan? Well, you didn't even bother to try and defend those, so we must agree he owns those.
Did we have boots on the ground in Libya? Do we today in Syria? On what planet does either of those situations equate to what happened under W in Iraq?
Hokie CPA wrote:He also put more troops in Afghanistan before drawing them back out.
He needed to temporarily put more troops into a war he inherited before he pulled them out. I don't see this as helping your point.
Hokie CPA wrote:And the drone strikes in Pakistan? Well, you didn't even bother to try and defend those, so we must agree he owns those.
That argument might have some merit, which is what I was referring to in my original reply.
So you agree, then, that he did escalate the war in Afghanistan. Thank you.

Oh, and in Gulf War I (Operation Desert Storm) where our Navy and Air Force pilots flew thousands of sorties over Iraq for a month and a half before any personnel crossed the border on the ground.... were we not at war for that month? Or did it not start until the invasion force crossed the border? Boots on the ground is irrelevant. Our military is killing people and breaking things in anger. That's war. Obama has started our military into at least two of them.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Uprising wrote:Why didn't bush put the dog down? You are just making excuses for Bush so you can demonize Obama. Your cognitive dissonance is off the charts.

Nope. Again, you guys show your ignorance. But, by all means, keep laughing - you're only making yourselves look like bigger idiots.

Like the Obama picture, Bush is likely being photographed exiting Air Force/Marine One. He's (just finished) carrying the dog down the stairs. See different picture, below:

The person you're suggesting he hand the dog to is the person rendering the salute.
Again...I'm not saying it's a big deal. But I'll have to say that USN is correct in that that W did salute even if he was trying to carry the dog. Obama clearly did not. There is a difference here folks (intellectual honesty at play).
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: Because, reality is, that unless you've been in the military, there is no reason for anyone to know the rules of saluting. It has nothing to do with being ignorant.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

That certainly is NOT the same event. In the first picture Bush has a red leash around his right, saluting, wrist. There is also a person standing to his right without a hat on.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

He could do the funky chicken coming down the stairs. It wouldn't matter. When you don't have to salute, the rules don't apply.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
The Navy regulation says that you should not salute when "(3) Carrying articles with both hands or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impractical."

Using that as a guide, you could argue that Obama could have easily made it practical to salute by putting the coffee in his other hand. By the same token, Bush should not have attempted to salute, while carrying the dog in both arms.
1. He (Booosh) was (or was attempting to) hold the dog in his left arm....as he always did.

2. Nobody is arguing that Obama was required to render a salute. I had no reason to cite the regulation, though I noticed that it doesn't say anything about holding coffee in your saluting hand. You've outed your partisanship indeed.

3. For the record, I'm not trying to make a big deal about this - the folks responding to me are. I simply pointed out the clear distinction and said that it matters to those in the military. All the folks who somehow think this is funny are merely reinforcing the stigma that the left has disdain for the armed forces.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

What does this picture, taken at a different time, have to do with the time when Bush saluted with a dog in his arms? In the dog salute pic, the dog is wearing a leash, he could have put the dog down. He was also with Laura, and could have had her take care of the dog. You're going to need a bigger shovel.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

That certainly is NOT the same event. In the first picture Bush has a red leash around his right, saluting, wrist. There is also a person standing to his right without a hat on.
Reading, it's fun-da-mental. I've bolded/colored/enlarged/italicized the relevant text for your iron-deprived brain.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: Because, reality is, that unless you've been in the military, there is no reason for anyone to know the rules of saluting. It has nothing to do with being ignorant.
You're implication was that people not knowing the military rules about saluting, is further proof that they are ignorant about all things related to armed forces. That is a silly statement.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

Hokie CPA wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:Iraq and Afghanistan were/are efforts with coalitions that include Middle Eastern countries that included air strikes designed to prevent the slaughtering of innocent people, but you know that. If they are wars, then so are Libya and Syria. So he's started us in at least TWO wars. He also put more troops in Afghanistan before drawing them back out. He escalated that one. And the drone strikes in Pakistan? Well, you didn't even bother to try and defend those, so we must agree he owns those.
Did we have boots on the ground in Libya? Do we today in Syria? On what planet does either of those situations equate to what happened under W in Iraq?
Hokie CPA wrote:He also put more troops in Afghanistan before drawing them back out.
He needed to temporarily put more troops into a war he inherited before he pulled them out. I don't see this as helping your point.
Hokie CPA wrote:And the drone strikes in Pakistan? Well, you didn't even bother to try and defend those, so we must agree he owns those.
That argument might have some merit, which is what I was referring to in my original reply.
So you agree, then, that he did escalate the war in Afghanistan. Thank you.

Oh, and in Gulf War I (Operation Desert Storm) where our Navy and Air Force pilots flew thousands of sorties over Iraq for a month and a half before any personnel crossed the border on the ground.... were we not at war for that month? Or did it not start until the invasion force crossed the border? Boots on the ground is irrelevant. Our military is killing people and breaking things in anger. That's war. Obama has started our military into at least two of them.
Of course, the surge in Afghanistan is historical fact. It was a war he inherited and temporarily escalated for strategic reasons and has since drawn down. You trying to equate strategic air strikes to prevent the massacre of hundreds of thousands of people to the war in Iraq is very misguided (to say the least).

Boots on the ground is absolutely relevant.

Explain to me how the air strikes in Libya were an example of "our military is killing people and breaking things in anger. That's war." I'd love to hear you tell me how that's true, given that the 22-member Arab League used the term "humanitarian action" to describe the situation. Qaddafi said, "We are coming tonight, and there will be no mercy." It was a broad effort to prevent the imminent slaughter of innocent Libyans. Very soon after we did the air strikes, NATO assumed command and control. So, again I ask - how was Libya an example of "our military killing people and breaking things in anger."
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

He could do the funky chicken coming down the stairs. It wouldn't matter. When you don't have to salute, the rules don't apply.
Are you confused, or are you purposely continuing to make this same irrational argument? I'm saying that Obama's salute was disrespectful. There are plenty of things which are disrespectful, yet not against any law or regulation.
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

USN_Hokie wrote:Q: How easy is it to hold a 30lb restless dog with one arm?
So in the first post, you are giving W a pass for not moving the dog to one arm and saluting with the other because that would be a difficult ask. And in the second post you are showing a picture of W doing just that. Unreal. No wonder you're resorting to name calling. You've got nothing else.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
You're implication was that people not knowing the military rules about saluting, is further proof that they are ignorant about all things related to armed forces. That is a silly statement.
Now you're just making shirt up. Please feel free to quote the thing I didn't say to support the argument I didn't make.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

Are you confused, or are you purposely continuing to make this same irrational argument? I'm saying that Obama's salute was disrespectful. There are plenty of things which are disrespectful, yet not against any law or regulation.
I'm just glad it's not a big deal to you. LOL.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote: So in the first post, you are giving W a pass for not moving the dog to one arm and saluting with the other because that would be a difficult ask. And in the second post you are showing a picture of W doing just that. Unreal. No wonder you're resorting to name calling. You've got nothing else.
This is simple - I never argued that he was holding the dog with his right arm (he isn't). Feel free to show some other picture/video which shows otherwise, but the Booosh picture clearly shows a man attempting to give a proper salute. The Obama photo shows a man who doesn't give a shirt.
hokie80

Post by hokie80 »

I do find it a bit odd that ABC news felt compelled to respond to the criticism and come across as taking Obama's side on this though.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Uprising wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:

Reading, it's fun-da-mental. I've bolded/colored/enlarged/italicized the relevant text for your iron-deprived brain.
BS! You were trying to pass it off as the same salute caught by a different camera. You're claim that the person standing next to him wasn't able to hold the dog tells the whole story. Now, after being called out, you will attempt to walk it back.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Now you're just making shirt up. Please feel free to quote the thing I didn't say to support the argument I didn't make.
Here you go, a whopping 90 minutes age. In your quote below, "Stuff like this" refers to people not knowing the rules regarding saluting, and "all things related to the armed forces" refers to "all things related to the armed forces".
My sentence above was almost exactly the post you made. Back to the shovel store with you.
USN_Hokie wrote: "Stuff like this is great because it shows how ignorant the left is to all things related to the armed forces."
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:What's the record for people killed and wars started or escalated by a Nobel Peace Prize winner?
What wars did President Obama start? How many US troops are in Iraq and Afghanistan today versus when he took office? There are some things you could have gone with here, but didn't.

Oh, and I'd wager the answer is Arafat!
I don't know about that. Between initializing action in Libya and Syria, the escalation of action in Afghanistan, and drone strikes in Pakistan I'm pretty sure Obama has eclipsed the former PLO leader.
So the answer to your question is that he started 0 wars and pulled forces out of the two wars he inherited? Got it.

And the actions in Libya and Syria were/are efforts with coalitions that include Middle Eastern countries. They are air strikes designed to prevent the slaughtering of innocent people. But you know that.
BS......if he wanted to protect innocents, he should have been bombing Syria long ago......what's the civilian death toll up to now? Keep defending the bombing of another sovereign nation.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
SuwaneeTim820

Post by SuwaneeTim820 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
SuwaneeTim820 wrote: So in the first post, you are giving W a pass for not moving the dog to one arm and saluting with the other because that would be a difficult ask. And in the second post you are showing a picture of W doing just that. Unreal. No wonder you're resorting to name calling. You've got nothing else.
This is simple - I never argued that he was holding the dog with his right arm (he isn't). Feel free to show some other picture/video which shows otherwise, but the Booosh picture clearly shows a man attempting to give a proper salute. The Obama photo shows a man who doesn't give a shirt.
He's clearly holding the dog in both arms, which is why he couldn't perform a proper salute in the picture. The picture you posted shows him easily holding the dog in one arm and properly saluting, thus showing that he could have done a proper salute earlier, but didn't. So he did the same exact thing as Obama by giving a half-salute instead of shifting what was in his hands and giving a full one. And yet, you choose to give one a pass and slam the other. I wonder why.