GOP congressman goes off script, tells truth

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

GOP congressman goes off script, tells truth

Post by HooFighter »

House Republicans are unlikely to blink in the standoff over Obamacare that precipitated a government shutdown, fearing that acceding now to Democratic demands for a “clean” spending bill would weaken their hand in upcoming negotiations over the the debt ceiling.

Those Republicans said Wednesday that the spending impasse that shut down the government early Tuesday is less about conservatives' desire to derail Obamacare than it is about strengthening their hand in the debt-ceiling talks. That borrowing limit must be raised by Oct. 17 to prevent the government from defaulting on its financial obligations and Republicans say any future agreement to reopen the government would link the spending bill and the debt ceiling.

“This is not just about Obamacare anymore,” centrist Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., said.

“We’re not going to be disrespected,” conservative Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., added. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

In the weeks leading up to Tuesday's government shutdown, House Republicans pushed for a short-term budget bill that would fund the government at current levels, but also fully and permanently defund Obamacare. President Obama and Senate Democrats rejected that proposal and three others that would have at least slowed implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

House Republicans now say they won't agree to a funding bill unless Senate Democrats agree to meet in a conference committee to hash out their differences. They rebuffed a proposal from Senate Democrats Wednesday to form a conference committee only after the funding bill was approved and the government reopened.

With the third day of the shutdown dawning and the deadline to raise the debt ceiling fast approaching, House Republican leaders believe maintaining party unity over the budget bill is paramount. Any divisions or concessions would only bolster Obama's hand in the debt ceiling talks.

House Republican leaders will drive their rank and file particularly hard to support a debt ceiling proposal that includes provisions on tax and entitlement reform and other GOP priorities. They also don't want to cut short the epic battle against Obamacare that conservatives have long sought. For those reasons, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, is unlikely to put up a "clean" budget bill that funds the government without Democratic concessions.

“The [budget bill] is now part of the debt ceiling fight and we may see a shutdown that extends to mid-October,” said a veteran Republican operative with relationships on Capitol Hill. “Boehner could not pass a [budget bill] with mostly Democratic support now and then have any chance of holding Republicans on the debt ceiling.”

House GOP leaders and most of their rank and file never supported conservatives' efforts to use the budget bill and the threat of a government shutdown to defund Obamacare, fearing a political backlash. Polls consistently show most people oppose the strategy and would blame Republicans if the government closed.

But having gone as far as they have, House Republicans now say they won't back down. And they expect to score political points in the process.

Republican House leaders were surprised that Democrats unanimously opposed GOP efforts to pass small, targeted appropriations bills that would keep only parts of the government open, but they are happy to watch Democrats vote against measures that would open national parks and restore veterans' programs ahead of the 2014 elections.

Just as important, however, is the marker Boehner has laid down in this fight and how his caucus would react if he suddenly reversed course and supported a clean budget bill. Boehner originally opposed linking Obamacare to the government funding bill, but gave in to conservatives' demands. Republicans say the speaker has been forceful in closed-door meetings on the funding bill but his credibility could be indelibly damaged if he caves in to Democratic demands now.

Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., who is close with leadership, suggested that the House majority is prepared to hold the line on a government funding bill and the debt ceiling increase if Senate Democrats refuse to negotiate a compromise.

When asked if House Republicans would vote on a "clean" continuing resolution, he said, "Why in the world would you do that?” Cole said of the clean funding bill. “That’s basically, at this point, a surrender to the Democratic position.”
http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-stand ... 36750#null

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
RiverguyVT

Re: GOP congressman goes off script, tells truth

Post by RiverguyVT »

mountain meet molehill

He doesn't know what the R's will ultimately get out of the negotiations.

Shocking! Film at 11.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

What about this part?

House GOP leaders and most of their rank and file never supported conservatives' efforts to use the budget bill and the threat of a government shutdown to defund Obamacare, fearing a political backlash. Polls consistently show most people oppose the strategy and would blame Republicans if the government closed.

Clear reference to the Rs planning to shut down the government. Kinda hard to deny that fact...
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

this shut down is almost entirely on the Dems.
The Washington Examine may opine otherwise, but the facts are the facts.

This whole thing is b/c the Dems didn't like the rider on the CR.
Why was there a CR?
Because a Conference Committee wouldn't stand.
Why would a Conference Committee be needed in the first place?
Because the Dems couldn't do a budget.

This stuff is like blaming the fire extinguisher salesman for the fact that I started a fire in my kitchen. The bastard wanted me to pay for the fire extinguisher up front.

Washington Examiner Headline follows the next day: "Fire Extinguisher Salesman burns down house"

Is the fire extinguisher salesman to blame for :
#1- starting the fire, or
#2- not trusting my credit when my credit has been proven bad time & again, or,
#3- my failure to have had a fire extinguisher on hand before the fire started?

To the liberal mind, yes. It is the fire extinguisher salesman's fault that I was cooking with grease unsafely.
Last edited by RiverguyVT on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salute the Marines
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

no comment on the examiner. I didn't post it, just commented.

But no, the Rs shut down the govt. Read any other respectable rag.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

RiverguyVT wrote:this shut down is almost entirely on the Dems.
You are now completely delusional.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

The sad part is that once this is all resolved, the evidence that is now clear to most people will finally be accepted by the R echo chamber. And the same guys who argue so vehemently that the Ds are responsible will be praising the Rs for their principled stance. Madness...
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

HooFighter wrote:

Well... I'd like to keep this above name calling.
First, your meme pic has a guy who no longer calls himself "conservative" but now self-labels "libertarian"

If you want to step this thing backwards I'd be glad to.
Why was the government shut down on its first day of the new fiscal year?
Can we agree it is because the CR wasn't passed? Y/N
If N, I want to read your explanation.
If Y, I simply ask...why was a CR needed in the first place?

Let's go from there.
Salute the Marines
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:mountain meet molehill

He doesn't know what the R's will ultimately get out of the negotiations.

Shocking! Film at 11.
Yep. Oh look, Hoofighter delivers a quarter-pound nothingburger. :mrgreen:
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

yep, the non-stop spending has zero consequences.... wow, Americans are some really stupid people!!!!!!

this bullshit with this shutdown just shows how incredibly stupid the American folks are.... we are spending way way way way way more than we collect? GET IT?

and obamacare only adds way more to the amount we are spending GET IT?
HooFighter wrote:
House Republicans are unlikely to blink in the standoff over Obamacare that precipitated a government shutdown, fearing that acceding now to Democratic demands for a “clean” spending bill would weaken their hand in upcoming negotiations over the the debt ceiling.

Those Republicans said Wednesday that the spending impasse that shut down the government early Tuesday is less about conservatives' desire to derail Obamacare than it is about strengthening their hand in the debt-ceiling talks. That borrowing limit must be raised by Oct. 17 to prevent the government from defaulting on its financial obligations and Republicans say any future agreement to reopen the government would link the spending bill and the debt ceiling.

“This is not just about Obamacare anymore,” centrist Rep. Michael Grimm, R-N.Y., said.

“We’re not going to be disrespected,” conservative Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., added. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

In the weeks leading up to Tuesday's government shutdown, House Republicans pushed for a short-term budget bill that would fund the government at current levels, but also fully and permanently defund Obamacare. President Obama and Senate Democrats rejected that proposal and three others that would have at least slowed implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

House Republicans now say they won't agree to a funding bill unless Senate Democrats agree to meet in a conference committee to hash out their differences. They rebuffed a proposal from Senate Democrats Wednesday to form a conference committee only after the funding bill was approved and the government reopened.

With the third day of the shutdown dawning and the deadline to raise the debt ceiling fast approaching, House Republican leaders believe maintaining party unity over the budget bill is paramount. Any divisions or concessions would only bolster Obama's hand in the debt ceiling talks.

House Republican leaders will drive their rank and file particularly hard to support a debt ceiling proposal that includes provisions on tax and entitlement reform and other GOP priorities. They also don't want to cut short the epic battle against Obamacare that conservatives have long sought. For those reasons, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, is unlikely to put up a "clean" budget bill that funds the government without Democratic concessions.

“The [budget bill] is now part of the debt ceiling fight and we may see a shutdown that extends to mid-October,” said a veteran Republican operative with relationships on Capitol Hill. “Boehner could not pass a [budget bill] with mostly Democratic support now and then have any chance of holding Republicans on the debt ceiling.”

But having gone as far as they have, House Republicans now say they won't back down. And they expect to score political points in the process.

Republican House leaders were surprised that Democrats unanimously opposed GOP efforts to pass small, targeted appropriations bills that would keep only parts of the government open, but they are happy to watch Democrats vote against measures that would open national parks and restore veterans' programs ahead of the 2014 elections.

Just as important, however, is the marker Boehner has laid down in this fight and how his caucus would react if he suddenly reversed course and supported a clean budget bill. Boehner originally opposed linking Obamacare to the government funding bill, but gave in to conservatives' demands. Republicans say the speaker has been forceful in closed-door meetings on the funding bill but his credibility could be indelibly damaged if he caves in to Democratic demands now.

Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., who is close with leadership, suggested that the House majority is prepared to hold the line on a government funding bill and the debt ceiling increase if Senate Democrats refuse to negotiate a compromise.

When asked if House Republicans would vote on a "clean" continuing resolution, he said, "Why in the world would you do that?” Cole said of the clean funding bill. “That’s basically, at this point, a surrender to the Democratic position.”
http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-stand ... 36750#null
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

cwtcr hokie wrote:yep, the non-stop spending has zero consequences.... wow, Americans are some really stupid people!!!!!!

this bullshit with this shutdown just shows how incredibly stupid the American folks are.... we are spending way way way way way more than we collect? GET IT?

and obamacare only adds way more to the amount we are spending GET IT?
We ain't not! Now give us one of them free phones! :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

RiverguyVT wrote: Why would a Conference Committee be needed in the first place?
But they did pass a budget, as did the house. Then the senate tried to set up committee (maybe as many as 18 times but not confirmed) and the pubs refused. From what I can tell your premise is wrong, and certainly your conclusion.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote: Why would a Conference Committee be needed in the first place?
But they did pass a budget, as did the house. Then the senate tried to set up committee (maybe as many as 18 times but not confirmed) and the pubs refused. From what I can tell your premise is wrong, and certainly your conclusion.
The only place I can find a reference to that is on Dailykos and an Op-Ed written by the fruit of Terry McAuliffe's loins on huffpo. Have a better link?
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

HooFighter wrote:
So ... why didn't the Senate pass their bills and hold a budget conference with the House before the fiscal year started?

Why hasn't the Senate done this for the past few years??
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
The only place I can find a reference to that is on Dailykos and an Op-Ed written by the fruit of Terry McAuliffe's loins on huffpo. Have a better link?
Yup, resurrecting an old thread, just wanted to provide the link so it is clear that the dems tried to have a committee and the pubs refused. Consistent with what I've said and linked many times before (thanks Big Dave for the link).

Here:
http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/b ... onference-

Republicans say they needed a framework first. Yes it is evident that in the past two years, the republicans were the ones that wanted committee. However, not this year.
People who know, know.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I think most of America disagrees with you.
The Washington Examine may opine otherwise, but the facts are the facts.

This whole thing is b/c the Dems didn't like the rider on the CR.
Why was there a CR?
Because a Conference Committee wouldn't stand.
Why would a Conference Committee be needed in the first place?

This stuff is like blaming the fire extinguisher salesman for the fact that I started a fire in my kitchen. The bastard wanted me to pay for the fire extinguisher up front.

Washington Examiner Headline follows the next day: "Fire Extinguisher Salesman burns down house"

Is the fire extinguisher salesman to blame for :
#1- starting the fire, or
#2- not trusting my credit when my credit has been proven bad time & again, or,
#3- my failure to have had a fire extinguisher on hand before the fire started?

To the liberal mind, yes. It is the fire extinguisher salesman's fault that I was cooking with grease unsafely.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.