House passes bill to give retroactive pay to furloughed...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

House passes bill to give retroactive pay to furloughed...

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: House passes bill to give retroactive pay to furloughed.

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:...fed employees. It passed 407-0

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/1 ... -slimdown/
This was a lock the whole time.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:...fed employees. It passed 407-0

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/1 ... -slimdown/
So why aren't they working? They're getting paid to so, where is the work product?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

awesome guy wrote: So why aren't they working? They're getting paid to so, where is the work product?
I'm with you. Back to work! Of course, if that happened how would the government be shut down exactly?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
awesome guy wrote: So why aren't they working? They're getting paid to so, where is the work product?
I'm with you. Back to work! Of course, if that happened how would the government be shut down exactly?
Of course, the reason is that if you do that, then the Senate is just allowing the House to effectively defund the parts of the govt they don't like while keeping the ones they are OK with (and that make people mad) functioning.
It would shift the pain to the Senate, somewhat. Of course, if they are really interested in showing that they are serious, they would vote on the clean CR, and when it fails, then they can push the Senate to vote on their proposals. Until they vote on the bill presented to them, it's silly to complain about the other side not voting on the bills they passed, after failing to even vote on the first bill.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Of course, the reason is that if you do that, then the Senate is just allowing the House to effectively defund the parts of the govt they don't like while keeping the ones they are OK with (and that make people mad) functioning.
It would shift the pain to the Senate, somewhat. Of course, if they are really interested in showing that they are serious, they would vote on the clean CR, and when it fails, then they can push the Senate to vote on their proposals. Until they vote on the bill presented to them, it's silly to complain about the other side not voting on the bills they passed, after failing to even vote on the first bill.
Of course, the reason is that if you do that, then the Senate House is just allowing the House Senate to effectively defund fund the parts of the govt they don't like while keeping the ones they are aren't OK with (and that make people mad) functioning.

You're just picking one side of a circular argument.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Of course, the reason is that if you do that, then the Senate House is just allowing the House Senate to effectively defund fund the parts of the govt they don't like while keeping the ones they are aren't OK with (and that make people mad) functioning.

No, I'm not. The CR funds the entire govt operations.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:

Yes, you are. The "clean CR" is a farce anyway because it undoes the sequester and adds more spending.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Yes, you are. The "clean CR" is a farce anyway because it undoes the sequester and adds more spending.
OK, so it's a farce. Take a vote on it, and when the farce doesn't pass the House, then offer up an alternative. The CR that the Senate passed is what they should be "negotiating". And by negotiating, I mean that House votes. If the bill fails, the House can go back to the Senate, say "Look, this farce won't pass the House as it is, we need to make some changes. Here are our suggestions".
That's the negotiating power they have, but only if it fails the House. The members of the House are supposed to vote for their constituents. If it fails the House, then the will of the people is that the CR is not good enough. If it passes, then the will of the people is that it is good enough. Until a vote is taken, then the House can't reasonably speak to what is right and wrong, or what America wants, blah, blah.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

OK, so it's a farce. Take a vote on it, and when the farce doesn't pass the House, then offer up an alternative. The CR that the Senate passed is what they should be "negotiating". And by negotiating, I mean that House votes. If the bill fails, the House can go back to the Senate, say "Look, this farce won't pass the House as it is, we need to make some changes. Here are our suggestions".
That's the negotiating power they have, but only if it fails the House. The members of the House are supposed to vote for their constituents. If it fails the House, then the will of the people is that the CR is not good enough. If it passes, then the will of the people is that it is good enough. Until a vote is taken, then the House can't reasonably speak to what is right and wrong, or what America wants, blah, blah.
You spin me around, like a record round and round.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
Is that really the case? I thought the budget passed by the senate (and would be passed by CR) including cuts to discretionary spending. See link below (Washington Post).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... ce-is-not/
People who know, know.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Is that really the case? I thought the budget passed by the senate (and would be passed by CR) including cuts to discretionary spending. See link below (Washington Post).

Same here. I thought a CR by definition was to continue the current funding, which as of now includes the sequester
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

You spin me around, like a record round and round.

Not trying to confuse you. It's a pretty simple 2 step process. What part don't you agree with, or don't you understand?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

That's not what the Sunday morning guys were saying.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

That's not what the Sunday morning guys were saying.
Which Sunday morning guys? I'm pretty sure it isn't exactly the sequestered budget, but I'm pretty sure it is also reduced funding that is in line with the sequester. I've yet to see anything different. Nor have I heard republicans say otherwise.

We all know this has nothing to do with money. If it did they probably wouldn't pay government workers for doing nothing. Of course, everything they have done to this point shows that it has nothing to do with actual budget spending.
People who know, know.
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

Politics. The vast majority of Federal Workers would like to be at their jobs, IMHO.