Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Re: Travon martin day in high school.

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
There are 9 links on that page to education rankings. There are 8 more on the second page of that search.
You can't provide a single one. Epic fail.

Here is your quote, "CA is the worst in the nation, even worse than the other LA, Lower Alabama." You're changing one of your claims, and you can't back up your second claim. I actually searched for instances where kids moving from California to the east coast schools were behind. Can't find a single one. I'm sure you can't find one either - just another one of your unfounded claims based on your "experience".

I haven't met a family yet that's moved east and not faced the issue. Yep, I believe my experience over your BS.
That's awesome, awesome. You go through all that. You make claims, and can't provide any evidence of them. I make claims. You say, provide evidence (my assumption is that you would consider that evidence), and I do.
And, of course, you just fall back on "your experience", as if that has any meaning to anyone, other than you. Next time, just say you have nothing other than your own bizarro experiences that somehow only and always support the ultra conservative talking points, and that giving you evidence isn't going to change your mind.
Maybe the CA sun is rotting your mind, but a snarky lmgtfy isn't evidence.
You said provide a link. I provided 15. It's not snarky. It's responding to your direct request, with exactly what you requested.
If that's snarky, then what would you consider not snarky?
Do I need to find no less than 10 families,. from California, who have moved to excellent school districts in eastern states, like VA, NJ, NC, NY, etc., whose kids weren't held back any grades, and maybe even excelled?

P.S. That's snarky.
Cam Brady

Post by Cam Brady »

And maybe all the little white kids will demand a day for you when get run over by a biker gang from the Blue Oyster.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
There are 9 links on that page to education rankings. There are 8 more on the second page of that search.

Here is your quote, "CA is the worst in the nation, even worse than the other LA, Lower Alabama." You're changing one of your claims, and you can't back up your second claim. I actually searched for instances where kids moving from California to the east coast schools were behind. Can't find a single one. I'm sure you can't find one either - just another one of your unfounded claims based on your "experience".

I haven't met a family yet that's moved east and not faced the issue. Yep, I believe my experience over your BS.
That's awesome, awesome. You go through all that. You make claims, and can't provide any evidence of them. I make claims. You say, provide evidence (my assumption is that you would consider that evidence), and I do.
And, of course, you just fall back on "your experience", as if that has any meaning to anyone, other than you. Next time, just say you have nothing other than your own bizarro experiences that somehow only and always support the ultra conservative talking points, and that giving you evidence isn't going to change your mind.
You said provide a link. I provided 15. It's not snarky. It's responding to your direct request, with exactly what you requested.
Do I need to find no less than 10 families,. from California, who have moved to excellent school districts in eastern states, like VA, NJ, NC, NY, etc., whose kids weren't held back any grades, and maybe even excelled?

P.S. That's snarky.
Where are the 15? I only saw one.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I remember seeing a study that the Smyth County School Board had that was a very comprehensive study in re to States and how they ranked in 5 different categories and how Virginia compared.

It was fairly interesting...I can't remember if it was a JMU, GMU, UVa, VT, Radford or ODU study but I want to say GMU.

California rated very high in the category of Teachers and curriculum (top 5 if memory served)...VA was in the top 15 in both categories.

Then the categories went to actual classroom results and successful cost per student who ultimately graduate. CA was at or near the bottom with Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. VA was in the top third in both categories.

MD and CT were consistently at the top of the list.

I can't find it online but if I'll see if I can get a copy. I want to say it was done in '09 or '10.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

P.S. That's snarky.[/quote]

Where are the 15? I only saw one.[/quote]

???? You know that lmgtfy links to the appropriate google search, and the search results are the 15 links. Maybe you didn't let lmgtfy do it's job?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:I remember seeing a study that the Smyth County School Board had that was a very comprehensive study in re to States and how they ranked in 5 different categories and how Virginia compared.

It was fairly interesting...I can't remember if it was a JMU, GMU, UVa, VT, Radford or ODU study but I want to say GMU.

California rated very high in the category of Teachers and curriculum (top 5 if memory served)...VA was in the top 15 in both categories.

Then the categories went to actual classroom results and successful cost per student who ultimately graduate. CA was at or near the bottom with Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. VA was in the top third in both categories.

I can't find it online but if I'll see if I can get a copy. I want to say it was done in '09 or '10.
Yep, thier spending per student bumps them up a bit and they dominate studies focused on that, just like Detroit and DC:) But the results are poor, like some HS folks and friends I know that moved back. The kids couldn't test into the grade level they were in CA. I think part of it is the Heather has Two Mommies crap and having to move slow for the English as a second language kids. Plus it's CA with tons of distractions and no perceivable winter to push them indoors. I'll say this though, they seem to get a passion about one subject and go balls out on it. Could be something cool like science or something retarded like surfing, but they're going to be obsessed over it. I didn't meet too many people that seemed well balanced, instead single purposed.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:I remember seeing a study that the Smyth County School Board had that was a very comprehensive study in re to States and how they ranked in 5 different categories and how Virginia compared.

Yep, thier spending per student bumps them up a bit and they dominate studies focused on that, just like Detroit and DC:) But the results are poor, like some HS folks and friends I know that moved back. The kids couldn't test into the grade level they were in CA. I think part of it is the Heather has Two Mommies crap and having to move slow for the English as a second language kids. Plus it's CA with tons of distractions and no perceivable winter to push them indoors. I'll say this though, they seem to get a passion about one subject and go balls out on it. Could be something cool like science or something retarded like surfing, but they're going to be obsessed over it. I didn't meet too many people that seemed well balanced, instead single purposed.
Single purposed. Sounds like a lot of people on this board!
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

We'll figure it out when the time comes. I'm leaning toward homeschooling, my wife prefers private school.
HokieFanDC wrote:
Marine Hokie wrote:Yet another reason why I don't want my kids in government school.
Where are you going to send your kids? Homeschool? Catholic school?
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.