Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

Travon martin day in high school.

Post by oaktonhokie »

Skittles and iced tea for lunch?

Victimization now taught in hs.

Government teachers. Government schools.

Give them more money.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/10/ ... ming-week/
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
CFB Apologist

Re: Travon martin day in high school.

Post by CFB Apologist »

Have some compassion OAK.. remember Travon was an 8 year old, straight A student when he was ruthlessly gunned down by a white, racist, redneck with an assault rifle, while reading little red riding hood in a chair to a disabled girl... have some compassion please...
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

oaktonhokie wrote:Skittles and iced tea for lunch?

Give them more money.

Maybe they'll make a piñata in the image of Zimmerman and take turns savagely beating it?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

awesome guy wrote:

Give them more money.

Maybe they'll make a piñata in the image of Zimmerman and take turns savagely beating it?

Nah, remember Pinata's are for "hispanics".... Zimmerman is a "white hispanic"
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Give them more money.

Now, this, I agree, is a good example of what is wrong in this country. It's sad that the media circus surrounding this is so pervasive that the kids on the committee thought it was important enough to make it a "day".
I disagree with your assertion that this is a govt school/govt teacher issue, though. This is something that the kids asked for, based a bunch of crap they have learned from their parents, and media, and yes, probably their teachers. But, I disagree that it would be anything that was a govt agenda.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Its something the kids asked for."

So....?

Maybe the government teachers, administrators and union members ought yo be the grown ups in the room. But that would disrespect the wisdom and the civil rights of the students.

Probably racist, too.

Government schools stink. This is a great example of why.

HokieFanDC wrote:

Give them more money.

Now, this, I agree, is a good example of what is wrong in this country. It's sad that the media circus surrounding this is so pervasive that the kids on the committee thought it was important enough to make it a "day".
I disagree with your assertion that this is a govt school/govt teacher issue, though. This is something that the kids asked for, based a bunch of crap they have learned from their parents, and media, and yes, probably their teachers. But, I disagree that it would be anything that was a govt agenda.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Oh great let's just celebrate a lean drinking thug. Yes sir ree that sounds great to me.

Will there be a Stephen Morris Day? How about a Antonio Santiago Day?

Inquiring minds want to know!

:( :x :(
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

You're broad characterization of government schools (it's cute how you say govt instead of public, since govt is bad - it's a nice Alinsky tactic) is myopic.

What exactly is it that you hate so much about all public schools. You post an awful lot of articles about things that happen in public schools. And you seem to think that if you post 50 bad things about public schools, that it is proof that all public schools are horrible. It seems very personal.
oaktonhokie wrote:Its something the kids asked for."

So....?

Maybe the government teachers, administrators and union members ought yo be the grown ups in the room. But that would disrespect the wisdom and the civil rights of the students.

Probably racist, too.

HokieFanDC wrote:

Give them more money.

oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Government is imo, a better title than public.

Like democrat party is more descriptive than democratic party.

Accuracy.

And to reiterate what I have said many times, government schools are a miserable failure. They indoctrinate based on liberal government ideology. They forbid Christianity, remove prayer, but allow the Muslims to leave class with a prayer rug to pray on school premesis.

Bullying, gaze, condoms on bananas, and travon martin day. That leaves less time for math, science and history.

Common core inaccurately quotes the second amendment. I had occasion to speak with a teacher about that recently and she said "that's just the text book that says that."

And....?

It is the government schools that decided that self esteem was something to be handed out eqally to all students. Not something that needs to be earned.

Government schools and their union bosses decide that kids stuck in bad schools with stupid teachers are stuck. They may not leave. That would be unfair to the prisoners that did NOT escape purgatory.

Speech codes, suspensions for forming your fingers in the shape of a gun and at the local high school here, the homecoming queen was an allegedly gay male student.

Very sophisticated. Very tolerant.

It is the lunacy of the government schools that has dumbed down our country to the point where knowing about the four kardashians is more important than knowing about the two Koreas.

It's clearly NOT about the children. It's about stupid teachers and their union bosses wresting the minds of children away from parents and handed to the government.

HokieFanDC wrote:You're broad characterization of government schools (it's cute how you say govt instead of public, since govt is bad - it's a nice Alinsky tactic) is myopic.

What exactly is it that you hate so much about all public schools. You post an awful lot of articles about things that happen in public schools. And you seem to think that if you post 50 bad things about public schools, that it is proof that all public schools are horrible. It seems very personal.

So....?

Probably racist, too.

HokieFanDC wrote:

Give them more money.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Good enough. I'll take that as your explanation, and just attribute it to your limited view of the public school world. I've given you examples of schools where none of that happens, and math, science, history, english, etc. are what is taught. Where they say God every day. You can continue to keep the view you have, but just realize that you are taking a very limited view, which is something you rail against everyday.

Do you think that Common Core was developed by the fed gov? The NEA? If so, you're wrong.

Do you realize that Common Core is putting more of an emphasis on math, science, and history? Incorporating them to a much greater degree in the overall learning process?

Do you realize that one of the biggest complaints teachers have is that it's going to be too hard for the kids to live up to the standards?

I'm not sure you even have a beginning understanding of what actually happens in a normal public school, every day. And if you think the govt is the biggest problem with our schools, you are completely off base.

How about this. What would you do to improve it? I really don't think that you want kids to go to private schools.
If you think public schools teach lib ideology, take a look at what they teach in private schools these days.

oaktonhokie wrote:Government is imo, a better title than public.

Accuracy.

And to reiterate what I have said many times, government schools are a miserable failure. They indoctrinate based on liberal government ideology. They forbid Christianity, remove prayer, but allow the Muslims to leave class with a prayer rug to pray on school premesis.

Bullying, gaze, condoms on bananas, and travon martin day. That leaves less time for math, science and history.

Common core inaccurately quotes the second amendment. I had occasion to speak with a teacher about that recently and she said "that's just the text book that says that."

And....?

It is the government schools that decided that self esteem was something to be handed out eqally to all students. Not something that needs to be earned.

Government schools and their union bosses decide that kids stuck in bad schools with stupid teachers are stuck. They may not leave. That would be unfair to the prisoners that did NOT escape purgatory.

Speech codes, suspensions for forming your fingers in the shape of a gun and at the local high school here, the homecoming queen was an allegedly gay male student.

It is the lunacy of the government schools that has dumbed down our country to the point where knowing about the four kardashians is more important than knowing about the two Koreas.

It's clearly NOT about the children. It's about stupid teachers and their union bosses wresting the minds of children away from parents and handed to the government.

HokieFanDC wrote:You're broad characterization of government schools (it's cute how you say govt instead of public, since govt is bad - it's a nice Alinsky tactic) is myopic.

So....?

Probably racist, too.

HokieFanDC wrote:

Give them more money.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:Good enough. I'll take that as your explanation, and just attribute it to your limited view of the public school world. I've given you examples of schools where none of that happens, and math, science, history, english, etc. are what is taught. Where they say God every day. You can continue to keep the view you have, but just realize that you are taking a very limited view, which is something you rail against everyday.

Do you think that Common Core was developed by the fed gov? The NEA? If so, you're wrong.

Do you realize that Common Core is putting more of an emphasis on math, science, and history? Incorporating them to a much greater degree in the overall learning process?

Do you realize that one of the biggest complaints teachers have is that it's going to be too hard for the kids to live up to the standards?

I'm not sure you even have a beginning understanding of what actually happens in a normal public school, every day. And if you think the govt is the biggest problem with our schools, you are completely off base.

How about this. What would you do to improve it? I really don't think that you want kids to go to private schools.
If you think public schools teach lib ideology, take a look at what they teach in private schools these days.

Accuracy.

And....?

So....?

Probably racist, too.

HokieFanDC wrote:

Give them more money.

In the midst of your latest condescending tirade, I'm sure you know the Common Core pushed by the feds isn't the same as the one developed by states.

I'm also glad you're enjoying LUSD, but if you ever move back east then your kids will be a year or two behind their piers. What do you think is being taught on the west coast to push kids back that far?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:Good enough. I'll take that as your explanation, and just attribute it to your limited view of the public school world. I've given you examples of schools where none of that happens, and math, science, history, english, etc. are what is taught. Where they say God every day. You can continue to keep the view you have, but just realize that you are taking a very limited view, which is something you rail against everyday.

Accuracy.

And....?

Give them more money.

In the midst of your latest condescending tirade, I'm sure you know the Common Core pushed by the feds isn't the same as the one developed by states.

I'm also glad you're enjoying LUSD, but if you ever move back east then your kids will be a year or two behind their piers. What do you think is being taught on the west coast to push kids back that far?
The Feds push testing, not standards. Now, you can argue (and it's a good argument) that the testing drives the standards, but the Common Core standards have nothing to do with fed gov. It is Obama who tied NCLB and Rise to the Top to Common Core, and that is causing a lot of issues. But, Common Core itself is not the problem.
As for east vs west coast, that is a pile of crap. The worst public schools, in general, are the southern half of the US (that includes CA, TX, AZ, and all of the southeast). It's more driven by income level and demographics, than geography. My kid is 4, and he can read. He's being taught that in Transitional Kindergarten (the year between Pre-school and Kindergarten). The issue with schools and how much kids learn is parents. Contrary to oakton's rant, you don't have to send your kid to a crappy school, just b/c the school in your neighborhood is crappy. LAUSD allows you to transfer your child to another school. We did that, so that he would be going to a school with high academic achievement, a great principal, and strong parental involvement. The school gets the money it gets from LAUSD, and then it has to fundraise to get the other things it needs. A good library. Up to date computers. Good playground equipment. A music room. Combine all those factors, and you have a good school with a good learning environment. Take away the parents, which is what happens with most low income families, and the environment for learning is worse, regardless of what the curriculum is.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Accuracy.

And....?

Give them more money.

The Feds push testing, not standards. Now, you can argue (and it's a good argument) that the testing drives the standards, but the Common Core standards have nothing to do with fed gov. It is Obama who tied NCLB and Rise to the Top to Common Core, and that is causing a lot of issues. But, Common Core itself is not the problem.
As for east vs west coast, that is a pile of crap. The worst public schools, in general, are the southern half of the US (that includes CA, TX, AZ, and all of the southeast). It's more driven by income level and demographics, than geography. My kid is 4, and he can read. He's being taught that in Transitional Kindergarten (the year between Pre-school and Kindergarten). The issue with schools and how much kids learn is parents. Contrary to oakton's rant, you don't have to send your kid to a crappy school, just b/c the school in your neighborhood is crappy. LAUSD allows you to transfer your child to another school. We did that, so that he would be going to a school with high academic achievement, a great principal, and strong parental involvement. The school gets the money it gets from LAUSD, and then it has to fundraise to get the other things it needs. A good library. Up to date computers. Good playground equipment. A music room. Combine all those factors, and you have a good school with a good learning environment. Take away the parents, which is what happens with most low income families, and the environment for learning is worse, regardless of what the curriculum is.
Ok, just be ready to repeat grades if you move while they're still in school. You're ignorant or delusional of the education in LA Unified. CA is the worst in the nation, even worse than the other LA, Lower Alabama.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:

Accuracy.

And....?

Give them more money.

Ok, just be ready to repeat grades if you move while they're still in school. You're ignorant or delusional of the education in LA Unified. CA is the worst in the nation, even worse than the other LA, Lower Alabama.
You're completely wrong. You won't find any ranking where CA is the worst in the nation.
That's just ridiculous. It's certainly not the best, or anywhere near it, but it's nowhere near the worst. And you can't even refute that the southeast is well represented in the bottom of the nation's public schools...and you're the one that made the claim that the eastern schools were better than the west, because of something being taught in the west. What's the reason for the horrible education in the southeast?
It's also just plain silly to categorize CA as a whole. It's a freaking giant state.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Accuracy.

And....?

Give them more money.

You're completely wrong. You won't find any ranking where CA is the worst in the nation.
That's just ridiculous. It's certainly not the best, or anywhere near it, but it's nowhere near the worst. And you can't even refute that the southeast is well represented in the bottom of the nation's public schools...and you're the one that made the claim that the eastern schools were better than the west, because of something being taught in the west. What's the reason for the horrible education in the southeast?
It's also just plain silly to categorize CA as a whole. It's a freaking giant state.
Check out the rankings. CA is a bottom dweller. And a year or so behind is what transplanted Californians typically face.
Marine Hokie

Post by Marine Hokie »

Yet another reason why I don't want my kids in government school.
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Give them more money.

Check out the rankings. CA is a bottom dweller. And a year or so behind is what transplanted Californians typically face.[/quote]

I have looked at the rankings. I know exactly where they are - not at the bottom. It is clear you haven't looked at the rankings.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Give them more money.

Check out the rankings. CA is a bottom dweller. And a year or so behind is what transplanted Californians typically face.
I have looked at the rankings. I know exactly where they are - not at the bottom. It is clear you haven't looked at the rankings.[/quote]

Link it then CA bounces on the bottom with LA and WV. That's a primary reason I left there, the schools are overcrowded and subpar.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Give them more money.

I have looked at the rankings. I know exactly where they are - not at the bottom. It is clear you haven't looked at the rankings.

Link it then CA bounces on the bottom with LA and WV. That's a primary reason I left there, the schools are overcrowded and subpar.[/quote]

Sure. Not a problem. Any 10 year old with a half-decent education can do that. I'm confused as to what you're claiming now, though. Your first grand claim was that when I move from the west coast to the east coast, that my kid was going to be 2 years behind, because of something they're teaching in the west. But now, you keep on listing east coast schools as the bottom dwellers. I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. I agreed that CA overall is in the bottom 1/3 of states wrt education. You kept on saying, at the bottom, or worst. And there are lots of studies that show otherwise, and none that show it as worst. Also, to claim CA as a whole is the same is silly. The best schools in CA are as good as any school in the country. The worst are as bad as any in the country. If your CA experience was bad, then you were in a place where the schools sucked. Moving to the east coast doesn't just solve your problem. There are overcrowded and subpar schools everywhere. And there are great schools in every state.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=state+education+rankings
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Marine Hokie wrote:Yet another reason why I don't want my kids in government school.
Where are you going to send your kids? Homeschool? Catholic school?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Give them more money.

Link it then CA bounces on the bottom with LA and WV. That's a primary reason I left there, the schools are overcrowded and subpar.
Sure. Not a problem. Any 10 year old with a half-decent education can do that. I'm confused as to what you're claiming now, though. Your first grand claim was that when I move from the west coast to the east coast, that my kid was going to be 2 years behind, because of something they're teaching in the west. But now, you keep on listing east coast schools as the bottom dwellers. I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. I agreed that CA overall is in the bottom 1/3 of states wrt education. You kept on saying, at the bottom, or worst. And there are lots of studies that show otherwise, and none that show it as worst. Also, to claim CA as a whole is the same is silly. The best schools in CA are as good as any school in the country. The worst are as bad as any in the country. If your CA experience was bad, then you were in a place where the schools sucked. Moving to the east coast doesn't just solve your problem. There are overcrowded and subpar schools everywhere. And there are great schools in every state.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=state+education+rankings[/quote]

So you can't link one. I said CA is one of the worst systems(LA unified in particular, and students moving from there to the east coast are typically 1-2 years behind their peers. It's not hard to follow.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

As for east vs west coast, that is a pile of crap. The worst public schools, in general, are the southern half of the US (that includes
CA, TX, AZ, and all of the southeast). It's more driven by income level and demographics, than geography. My kid is 4, and he can read. He's being taught that in Transitional Kindergarten (the year between Pre-school and Kindergarten). The issue with schools and how much kids learn is parents. Contrary to oakton's rant, you don't have to send your kid to a crappy school, just b/c the school in your neighborhood is crappy. LAUSD allows you to transfer your child to another school. We did that, so that he would be going to a school with high academic achievement, a great principal, and strong parental involvement. The school gets the money it gets from LAUSD, and then it has to fundraise to get the other things it needs. A good library. Up to date computers. Good playground equipment. A music room. Combine all those factors, and you have a good school with a good learning environment. Take away the parents, which is what happens with most low income families, and the environment for learning is worse, regardless of what the curriculum is.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=state+education+rankings[/quote]

So you can't link one. I said CA is one of the worst systems(LA unified in particular, and students moving from there to the east coast are typically 1-2 years behind their peers. It's not hard to follow.[/quote]

There are 9 links on that page to education rankings. There are 8 more on the second page of that search.
You can't provide a single one. Epic fail.

Here is your quote, "CA is the worst in the nation, even worse than the other LA, Lower Alabama." You're changing one of your claims, and you can't back up your second claim. I actually searched for instances where kids moving from California to the east coast schools were behind. Can't find a single one. I'm sure you can't find one either - just another one of your unfounded claims based on your "experience".
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

As for east vs west coast, that is a pile of crap. The worst public schools, in general, are the southern half of the US (that includes
CA, TX, AZ, and all of the southeast). It's more driven by income level and demographics, than geography. My kid is 4, and he can read. He's being taught that in Transitional Kindergarten (the year between Pre-school and Kindergarten). The issue with schools and how much kids learn is parents. Contrary to oakton's rant, you don't have to send your kid to a crappy school, just b/c the school in your neighborhood is crappy. LAUSD allows you to transfer your child to another school. We did that, so that he would be going to a school with high academic achievement, a great principal, and strong parental involvement. The school gets the money it gets from LAUSD, and then it has to fundraise to get the other things it needs. A good library. Up to date computers. Good playground equipment. A music room. Combine all those factors, and you have a good school with a good learning environment. Take away the parents, which is what happens with most low income families, and the environment for learning is worse, regardless of what the curriculum is.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=state+education+rankings
So you can't link one. I said CA is one of the worst systems(LA unified in particular, and students moving from there to the east coast are typically 1-2 years behind their peers. It's not hard to follow.[/quote]

There are 9 links on that page to education rankings. There are 8 more on the second page of that search.

Here is your quote, "CA is the worst in the nation, even worse than the other LA, Lower Alabama." You're changing one of your claims, and you can't back up your second claim. I actually searched for instances where kids moving from California to the east coast schools were behind. Can't find a single one. I'm sure you can't find one either - just another one of your unfounded claims based on your "experience".[/quote]

I haven't met a family yet that's moved east and not faced the issue. Yep, I believe my experience over your BS.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Here is your quote, "CA is the worst in the nation, even worse than the other LA, Lower Alabama." You're changing one of your claims, and you can't back up your second claim. I actually searched for instances where kids moving from California to the east coast schools were behind. Can't find a single one. I'm sure you can't find one either - just another one of your unfounded claims based on your "experience".

I haven't met a family yet that's moved east and not faced the issue. Yep, I believe my experience over your BS.
That's awesome, awesome. You go through all that. You make claims, and can't provide any evidence of them. I make claims. You say, provide evidence (my assumption is that you would consider that evidence), and I do.
And, of course, you just fall back on "your experience", as if that has any meaning to anyone, other than you. Next time, just say you have nothing other than your own bizarro experiences that somehow only and always support the ultra conservative talking points, and that giving you evidence isn't going to change your mind.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

That's awesome, awesome. You go through all that. You make claims, and can't provide any evidence of them. I make claims. You say, provide evidence (my assumption is that you would consider that evidence), and I do.
And, of course, you just fall back on "your experience", as if that has any meaning to anyone, other than you. Next time, just say you have nothing other than your own bizarro experiences that somehow only and always support the ultra conservative talking points, and that giving you evidence isn't going to change your mind.
Maybe the CA sun is rotting your mind, but a snarky lmgtfy isn't evidence.