Wow, a fat guy with a beard actually asked why he won't sign

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

Wow, a fat guy with a beard actually asked why he won't sign

Post by oaktonhokie »

the piecemeal bill from the house.

He said it's tempting but we can't pick and choose (my words.)

Basically a "voice of reason" worthy, non answer.

We don't get to pick and choose. His words this time.

A real question and a non answer. And he ignored the follow up.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Re: Wow, a fat guy with a beard actually asked why he won't

Post by VoiceOfReason »

oaktonhokie wrote:the piecemeal bill from the house.

Thank you, I am honored :mrgreen:

IMHO, the true answer to the question of why not piecemeal is... "It's tempting, but the peacemeal approach allows the minority to selectively fund the parts of government they like and simply not fund the parts they do not like. In a democracy, why should a minority be granted this kind of power?"
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

So these things are so vital. So "heartbreaking" as lady snakehair said today. But we can't fund kids with cancer separately from the rest of the budget.

And wasn't it our fearless reader who previously said about another issue, why can we just agree what we agree on. That is, sign the bills that do what everyone agrees on, and then discuss the rest?

Urgency, heartbreaking, or politics?

VoiceOfReason wrote:

Thank you, I am honored :mrgreen:

IMHO, the true answer to the question of why not piecemeal is... "It's tempting, but the peacemeal approach allows the minority to selectively fund the parts of government they like and simply not fund the parts they do not like. In a democracy, why should a minority be granted this kind of power?"
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

Unless he's the one picking and choosing...
GCHokie78

Post by GCHokie78 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:IMHO, the true answer to the question of why not piecemeal is... "It's tempting, but the peacemeal approach allows the minority to selectively fund the parts of government they like and simply not fund the parts they do not like. In a democracy, why should a minority be granted this kind of power?"
If by "minority" you mean the United States House of Representatives, then that's the way a constitutionally-limited republic is supposed to work.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

GCHokie78 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:IMHO, the true answer to the question of why not piecemeal is... "It's tempting, but the peacemeal approach allows the minority to selectively fund the parts of government they like and simply not fund the parts they do not like. In a democracy, why should a minority be granted this kind of power?"
If by "minority" you mean the United States House of Representatives, then that's the way a constitutionally-limited republic is supposed to work.
By minority, I meant the TP faction of the Rs in the USHOR. However, even by your definition... the USHOR is 1/3 of the government needed to make laws... a minority.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

oaktonhokie wrote:So these things are so vital. So "heartbreaking" as lady snakehair said today. But we can't fund kids with cancer separately from the rest of the budget.

And wasn't it our fearless reader who previously said about another issue, why can we just agree what we agree on. That is, sign the bills that do what everyone agrees on, and then discuss the rest?

POTUS is obviously taking a political risk, while making the larger point that the Rs put everyone at risk. POTUS does not want to just help cancer kids, he wants to also help with working poor, the unemployed, the uninsured, the government workers, people who like to eat food that passes inspection, people who like clean air and water, people who value science and research, retirees, kids who need school lunches...

So, what? The Rs only care about cancer kids?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:So these things are so vital. So "heartbreaking" as lady snakehair said today. But we can't fund kids with cancer separately from the rest of the budget.

POTUS is obviously taking a political risk, while making the larger point that the Rs put everyone at risk. POTUS does not want to just help cancer kids, he wants to also help with working poor, the unemployed, the uninsured, the government workers, people who like to eat food that passes inspection, people who like clean air and water, people who value science and research, retirees, kids who need school lunches...

Obama is damaging them too. He's damaging all of us.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
GCHokie78

Post by GCHokie78 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:POTUS is obviously taking a political risk, while making the larger point that the Rs put everyone at risk. POTUS does not want to just help cancer kids, he wants to also help with working poor, the unemployed, the uninsured, the government workers, people who like to eat food that passes inspection, people who like clean air and water, people who value science and research, retirees, kids who need school lunches...

Hasn't the House has offered to fund all of government except Obamacare? If so, they want to help all those folks, too.
GCHokie78

Post by GCHokie78 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:By minority, I meant the TP faction of the Rs in the USHOR. However, even by your definition... the USHOR is 1/3 of the government needed to make laws... a minority.
Correct. The approval of the House of Representatives is needed to make laws. So whether piecemeal or all at once, the constitution grants your "minority" the right that they're now exercising.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Is it my imagination, or as the health care bill becomes more and more exposed, and therefore more and more unpopular, that it is less often referred to as Obamacare and more often referred to as the Affordable Care Act? I wonder why that is.
Hokie5150 wrote:
pk

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

GCHokie78 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:POTUS is obviously taking a political risk, while making the larger point that the Rs put everyone at risk. POTUS does not want to just help cancer kids, he wants to also help with working poor, the unemployed, the uninsured, the government workers, people who like to eat food that passes inspection, people who like clean air and water, people who value science and research, retirees, kids who need school lunches...

Hasn't the House has offered to fund all of government except Obamacare? If so, they want to help all those folks, too.
You missed the words "the uninsured" in that list, so the Rs do not want to help them in your example. The Ds however want to help all the people the Rs do, plus the uninsured.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

GCHokie78 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:By minority, I meant the TP faction of the Rs in the USHOR. However, even by your definition... the USHOR is 1/3 of the government needed to make laws... a minority.
Correct. The approval of the House of Representatives is needed to make laws. So whether piecemeal or all at once, the constitution grants your "minority" the right that they're now exercising.
Yes, the Rs strategy, like the Ds response, is Constitutional. However, that does not make it the right thing to do.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

oaktonhokie wrote:Is it my imagination, or as the health care bill becomes more and more exposed, and therefore more and more unpopular, that it is less often referred to as Obamacare and more often referred to as the Affordable Care Act? I wonder why that is.
Hokie5150 wrote:
pk

I don't think there is much evidence to support changes in popularity one way or the other yet. If you notice any difference, perhaps the media has decided to call the law by it's proper name as opposed to a derisive moniker.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

awesome guy wrote: Obama is damaging them too. He's damaging all of us.
The DOW (and my 401K accounts) have doubled since O took office. And my taxes have not gone up. In fact, he extended the Bush tax cuts for people in my bracket. And my kids can now be insured on my policy until they are 26. He can keep damaging me like this all he wants.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
GCHokie78 wrote:

You missed the words "the uninsured" in that list, so the Rs do not want to help them in your example. The Ds however want to help all the people the Rs do, plus the uninsured.
Oh no he didn't. They're remaining uninsured under Obamacare, only with a 4k tax to boot. They're better off without Obamacare.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

quick question, what is the difference between paying somebodys insurance premiums (ya know, the taxpayers, the givers) and paying higher rates for insurance for folks that CHOOSE not to buy health insurance and then can't pay their medical bills (but have no issue getting new rims for the ride) And newsflash, anybody can go get insurance but yes if you are deathly ill it is not likely it will be a cheap policy. Life is a beatch
VoiceOfReason wrote:
GCHokie78 wrote:

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

You do realize that as beat up as the stock market was when the great Obama took office it is likely that if we had elected a monkey to be prez your 401k would still be doing well as the market had really only one way to go coming out of a recession. Check out the job listings this week tho and the figures from this "recovery", hint... it is a joke
VoiceOfReason wrote:
The DOW (and my 401K accounts) have doubled since O took office. And my taxes have not gone up. In fact, he extended the Bush tax cuts for people in my bracket. And my kids can now be insured on my policy until they are 26. He can keep damaging me like this all he wants.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
So it's all about you. Why do I have to pay more so you don't? Everyone needs to share the pain.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:. In a democracy, why should a minority be granted this kind of power?"
Perhaps because the US is not (and was never intended to be) a direct democracy,it rather a representative Republic designed to protect the interests of the minority.
GCHokie78

Post by GCHokie78 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Yes, the Rs strategy, like the Ds response, is Constitutional.
Given, then, that the House of Representatives, a "minority," is "granted this kind of power" by the constitution, do you still like your "true answer to the question of why not piecemeal?"