Curious - a broad question about President Obama:

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Once

Re: Curious - a broad question about President Obama:

Post by Once »

Yeah...
I'm a middle aged woman with a middle aged gay man as a best friend, a tranny trainer, and I perform gay weddings. I have rarely (twice I think) voted republican, don't mind paying my taxes, believe social programs should exist in form and principle, believe in what I think is reasonable government regulation, own a firearm, don't want to discuss my uterus with anyone, and I like dogs. There's a pic of me at the junior prom in the garage. Horribly large hair.
RiverguyVT wrote:VOR- Once, you have a stack of National Reviews and poster of Bill Buckley hangin in your garage!

Once- I don't even have a garage! You can call home and ask my husband!
Once

Post by Once »

Lol. See above.
HokieFanDC wrote:
Once wrote:Neither. If I was looking for a wide variety of opinions, this isn't the forum I'd choose. I'm not sure what my lack of dangly bits has to do with this, but if you'd like to explain where you're headed with that please do so.

I was looking at the traits, mannerisms, body language, etc. suggested as indicators of someone telling a lie in the docs I was reading. The docs suggested that there are marked differences in the way a megalomaniac presents false information or even recognizes information as false. I watched his press conference and wondered how well we instinctively know someone is lying based on what we've been trained to see (as in do we recognize the queues without having to actively consider and examine them - does it become second nature?). As I've said here, I'm curious (often about meaningless crap) and some of you are kind enough to oblige me.
Cam Brady wrote:Are you asking this question to: 1) obtain a wide variety of opinions or 2) are you asking this question as a broad?
I don't think he was headed anywhere. Your post said you were asking a broad question. He wanted to know whether you were asking a question for many opinions, or just a question from a broad.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Once wrote:Okay, just a quick bit about me. I'm not a conservative and certainly not a devotee of Fox News. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find one self admitted conservative on this board who thinks I swing their way, including A-Guy, Oak, Upstate, or any of the other folks you've been debating. I'm unapologetically liberal about most issues and they all know that.

That said, I'm not brain dead. Things I know about this forum:

Right leaning (for the sake of explaining to VoR let's not quibble with percentages or scales or marks on the spectrum to quantify how far right the board leans as that historically leads us all to crouching in the dirt using sticks to draw rough pie charts illustrating our views). So, I already KNOW a majority of the posters here believe he falls roughly into one of the categories I provided (see "I am not brain dead" statement above). After 11 years of posting with some of these guys, I don't need to be clairvoyant or agree with them to understand that. Don't give me a valid reason to start referring to you as the Voice of Wild Speculation.
Once -> Thank you for your level headed and reasonable response. You are right. I do not know you or your leanings. I sincerely apologize for any implication that I made which mis-characterized your true beliefs. My post was an attempt at satire, not intended as a personal characterization. But I do realize that I did not effective make that distinction in my post.

Voice of Wild Speculation... I like it. :mrgreen:

So... you worded your question in terms that you yourself do not agree with? You like feeding red meat to the wild animals?

(Kidding... Kidding...)
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

RiverguyVT wrote:VOR- Once, you have a stack of National Reviews and poster of Bill Buckley hangin in your garage!

River -> I have never read National Review, nor do I know who Bill Buckley is. Maybe you are older than me? :mrgreen: Now if you had said something about Jon Stewart... OK, then!
Once

Post by Once »

Yes, I worded the question to suit my intended audience. In fairness to you, I didn't stop to consider that I'd come off as a rabid conservative with no consideration for the possibility there might be another category not mentioned in my post (there is). My opinions were immaterial as far as that goes.

Interestingly, given the catalogue of behaviors associated with lying that I found in the docs I was reviewing, President Obama doesn't peg as a liar. In fact, his mannerisms, facial expressions, eye movements, etc. indicate he is extremely truthful. If all the information I reviewed isn't BS, then it would follow that posters who chose megalomaniac are better judges of character and intent (as much as my half assed question could prove anything, which it can't because it was indeed half assed). It could also be that those posters are less partisan, more objective, don't have a rabid or blind devotion to their party, etc. and maybe their choice had nothing to do with innately being capable of recognizing a liar without knowing the queues. The only particularly interesting tidbit (probably only interesting to me) is that those posters who chose 'megalomaniac' are generally in my opinion, more objective and reasonable. Meh, it's all anecdotal and of little (no) use except to me (thanks all who answered). Maybe tomorrow I'll move on to "why aren't all of our fingers the same length?" or "why do too many men wait until they exit the men's' room before the check to see if they're zipped up?" or something equally gripping....

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Once wrote:Okay, just a quick bit about me. I'm not a conservative and certainly not a devotee of Fox News. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find one self admitted conservative on this board who thinks I swing their way, including A-Guy, Oak, Upstate, or any of the other folks you've been debating. I'm unapologetically liberal about most issues and they all know that.

That said, I'm not brain dead. Things I know about this forum:

Right leaning (for the sake of explaining to VoR let's not quibble with percentages or scales or marks on the spectrum to quantify how far right the board leans as that historically leads us all to crouching in the dirt using sticks to draw rough pie charts illustrating our views). So, I already KNOW a majority of the posters here believe he falls roughly into one of the categories I provided (see "I am not brain dead" statement above). After 11 years of posting with some of these guys, I don't need to be clairvoyant or agree with them to understand that. Don't give me a valid reason to start referring to you as the Voice of Wild Speculation.
Once -> Thank you for your level headed and reasonable response. You are right. I do not know you or your leanings. I sincerely apologize for any implication that I made which mis-characterized your true beliefs. My post was an attempt at satire, not intended as a personal characterization. But I do realize that I did not effective make that distinction in my post.

Voice of Wild Speculation... I like it. :mrgreen:

So... you worded your question in terms that you yourself do not agree with? You like feeding red meat to the wild animals?

(Kidding... Kidding...)
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

we are supposed to zip up? Since when?
miles

Post by miles »

Megalomaniac.
I think that any politician with presidential aspirations must have an outsized ego by nature.
I think Obama is surrounded by ass kissers and enablers, which nourishes his ego. He seems completely lacking in empathy, everything is about HIM; and it shows in the ways he relates to colleagues, rivals, peers on the world stage, allies and opponents.

quote="Once"]How many of you think President Obama is a liar who is in way over his head as opposed to a megalomaniac or devil or disguised antiAmerican?

Reason I ask: I've been reviewing behavioral profiles of liars compiled from several different studies, etc. (work related - obviously not my area, but I was asked to review for editorial content) and then I watched the press conference that he gave this morning.

I was just curious what your individual gut level reactions are when you see him speak during press conferences, prepared speeches, etc.[/quote]
Once

Post by Once »

While I can't demand it, I'd certainly appreciate it. Consider it a request and please feel free to spread the word.
VoiceOfReason wrote:we are supposed to zip up? Since when?
GCHokie78

Post by GCHokie78 »

Once wrote:Interestingly, given the catalogue of behaviors associated with lying that I found in the docs I was reviewing, President Obama doesn't peg as a liar. In fact, his mannerisms, facial expressions, eye movements, etc. indicate he is extremely truthful.
If he can say something that's demonstrably false while his mannerisms, facial expressions, eye movements, etc. indicate he is being truthful, he's George Costanza. "It's not a lie if you believe it."
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VoiceOfReason wrote:

River -> I have never read National Review, nor do I know who Bill Buckley is. Maybe you are older than me? :mrgreen: Now if you had said something about Jon Stewart... OK, then!

National Review is a magazine (started I believe) by William F Buckley, who was quite probably the greatest conservative mind (at least in public media arena) in my lifetime. Buckley had a weekly show (I think it was on PBS?) where he'd interview people on political topics of the day back in the 1970s. Brilliant man. Brilliant.

Since you're young, if you ever watch the Disney movie "Alladin". When Alladin first meets the Genie, and the genie is setting forth the 3 wishes rule, they drew him to be a parody of William F. Buckley. (see link at 1:18-1:24)
The other layered attempt at a joke was that my post was a parody of Charlie Daniels' "Uneasy Rider", which, if you've never heard it you really should. Yes, that tune dates me too. (3:07 through 3:59)
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.