Curious - a broad question about President Obama:

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Once

Curious - a broad question about President Obama:

Post by Once »

How many of you think President Obama is a liar who is in way over his head as opposed to a megalomaniac or devil or disguised antiAmerican?

Reason I ask: I've been reviewing behavioral profiles of liars compiled from several different studies, etc. (work related - obviously not my area, but I was asked to review for editorial content) and then I watched the press conference that he gave this morning.

I was just curious what your individual gut level reactions are when you see him speak during press conferences, prepared speeches, etc.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Curious - a broad question about President Obama:

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:How many of you think President Obama is a liar who is in way over his head as opposed to a megalomaniac or devil or disguised antiAmerican?

Reason I ask: I've been reviewing behavioral profiles of liars compiled from several different studies, etc. (work related - obviously not my area, but I was asked to review for editorial content) and then I watched the press conference that he gave this morning.

I was just curious what your individual gut level reactions are when you see him speak during press conferences, prepared speeches, etc.
All of the above. A lying megalomaniac in over his head. He's a dishonest fool. A boy in a man's world.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Or are you trying to get at trying to destroy America vs. destroying America through incompetence?
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Machiavellian, narcissistic, Marxist.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Once wrote:How many of you think President Obama is a liar who is in way over his head as opposed to a megalomaniac or devil or disguised antiAmerican?

I think he is so far over his head that if he was standing at the bottom of the TauTona Mine in South Africa and looked up from the #3 Western Shaft the only light he would see would seem like looking at our sun from Proxima Centauri.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Once

Post by Once »

They are two separate things.

It gets murky, but for our purposes, consider my definitions to include the following:

A liar in over his head: someone who knows he's in over his head, uses lies to try to maintain the appearance of competency and control, and has no underlying nefarious purposeful intent to harm the country.

A megalomaniac: someone who does not even entertain the idea he could be in over his head. A megalomaniac can lie without the behavioral signs because he (or she -there you go CW) considers the lie(s) to be negligible when weighed against his or her own ego and sense of self worth. The lie and the people you lie to aren't even on the same plane of importance as the megalomaniac's worth and goals or strategy achieved courtesy of the lie.

Devil: self explanatory I think.
AntiAmerican: lying with the express intent to harm the US to achieve some personal goal not in the interest of the country. Note that this is different than having a differing opinion from you or me or anyone else as to what is best for the country. The key there is intent to harm.

Does that help?
awesome guy wrote:Or are you trying to get at trying to destroy America vs. destroying America through incompetence?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:They are two separate things.

It gets murky, but for our purposes, consider my definitions to include the following:

A liar in over his head: someone who knows he's in over his head, uses lies to try to maintain the appearance of competency and control, and has no underlying nefarious purposeful intent to harm the country.

A megalomaniac: someone who does not even entertain the idea he could be in over his head. A megalomaniac can lie without the behavioral signs because he (or she -there you go CW) considers the lie(s) to be negligible when weighed against his or her own ego and sense of self worth. The lie and the people you lie to aren't even on the same plane of importance as the megalomaniac's worth and goals or strategy achieved courtesy of the lie.

Devil: self explanatory I think.
AntiAmerican: lying with the express intent to harm the US to achieve some personal goal not in the interest of the country. Note that this is different than having a differing opinion from you or me or anyone else as to what is best for the country. The key there is intent to harm.

Does that help?
awesome guy wrote:Or are you trying to get at trying to destroy America vs. destroying America through incompetence?
Yep, that's what I was getting at. I'm going with incompetent megalomaniac looking to knock America down a peg or two. He's a moron caught up the idiotic rhetoric of the Jeremiah Wright types.
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

I tend to go with megalomaniac. I think he truly believes that his every thought is correct and in the best interest of the nation. In other words, a typical Chicago politician...
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:

I tend to go with megalomaniac. I think he truly believes that his every thought is correct and in the best interest of the nation. In other words, a typical Chicago politician...
What do you think he thinks is in the best interest of the nation?
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

I'm pretty cynical, so my default position is that the President is a liar. Not because he's a no-good Commie trying to bring down America, but because he's a very good politician with a documented history of lying. One does not become President of the United States without being able to master the art and keep enough supporters to get you elected and re-elected.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Hokie5150

Post by Hokie5150 »

awesome guy wrote:What do you think he thinks is in the best interest of the nation?
Whatever he decides.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie5150 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:What do you think he thinks is in the best interest of the nation?
Whatever he decides.
No sheet. What does that look like? Think he has principles he's following or likes whatever idea enters his brain?
Last edited by awesome guy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VoiceOfReason
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

ROFL...nice poll. That seem like str8 from Faux News.

FOX: Mr. Average America. How you would describe Prez O?
A) Liar
B) In over his head
C) Megalomaniac
D) Satan
E) disguised Anti-American
F) All of the above

CITIZEN: Umm... I think he is a competent but mediocre Prez. No more, no less.

FOX: OK, I don't think you understand the question. But thanks for your time.

Later that night, on the air...

FOX REPORTER: In a recent poll, 60% of Americans think O is a liar, 70% think he is in over his head... no respondents think O is in any way competent, however, 45% of Americans did not express an opinion.

Hot damn... I think I can finally starting to understand how this works! :mrgreen:
Once

Post by Once »

Okay, just a quick bit about me. I'm not a conservative and certainly not a devotee of Fox News. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find one self admitted conservative on this board who thinks I swing their way, including A-Guy, Oak, Upstate, or any of the other folks you've been debating. I'm unapologetically liberal about most issues and they all know that.

That said, I'm not brain dead. Things I know about this forum:

Right leaning (for the sake of explaining to VoR let's not quibble with percentages or scales or marks on the spectrum to quantify how far right the board leans as that historically leads us all to crouching in the dirt using sticks to draw rough pie charts illustrating our views). So, I already KNOW a majority of the posters here believe he falls roughly into one of the categories I provided (see "I am not brain dead" statement above). After 11 years of posting with some of these guys, I don't need to be clairvoyant or agree with them to understand that. Don't give me a valid reason to start referring to you as the Voice of Wild Speculation.
VoiceOfReason wrote:

ROFL...nice poll. That seem like str8 from Faux News.

FOX: Mr. Average America. How you would describe Prez O?
A) Liar
B) In over his head
C) Megalomaniac
D) Satan
E) disguised Anti-American
F) All of the above

CITIZEN: Umm... I think he is a competent but mediocre Prez. No more, no less.

FOX: OK, I don't think you understand the question. But thanks for your time.

Later that night, on the air...

FOX REPORTER: In a recent poll, 60% of Americans think O is a liar, 70% think he is in over his head... no respondents think O is in any way competent, however, 45% of Americans did not express an opinion.

Hot damn... I think I can finally starting to understand how this works! :mrgreen:
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Yes.
Once

Post by Once »

Oh c'mon be helpful. Pick one..... The one that MOST applies.

Oh, and you owe me (and CWTR) a story about the milk machines at work.
USN_Hokie wrote:
Yes.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Once wrote:Oh c'mon be helpful. Pick one..... The one that MOST applies.

USN_Hokie wrote:
Yes.
Using the definitions you supplied...I'd go with Megalomaniac.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

He is in over his head, demonstrated that many times. But he is also a life long politician so lying is normal and the way he lives his life, its a part of being a politician and why career politicians are so bad at their jobs

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Once wrote:Oh c'mon be helpful. Pick one..... The one that MOST applies.

USN_Hokie wrote:
Yes.
Using the definitions you supplied...I'd go with Megalomaniac.
I think he thinks America is fundamentally evil, needing a fundamental transform to the communist dream of his father.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Hokie5150 wrote:

Agreed.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VOR- Once, you have a stack of National Reviews and poster of Bill Buckley hangin in your garage!

Once- I don't even have a garage! You can call home and ask my husband!
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Cam Brady

Post by Cam Brady »

Are you asking this question to: 1) obtain a wide variety of opinions or 2) are you asking this question as a broad?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

How I see him.

I've often said he's less dangerous than Hillary! is.
He is a commie, through and through. His grooming and rearing by leftists, lifelong, is well documented & literally inarguable.
It is within that grooming that his personality defect has been forged.

Consider the HS jock, who gets praise for his performance on Friday nights. He gets the girls. He gets grades without earning them. He gets a scholarship to a great university, all without a wit of learning under his belt. Again, more girls. More free grades. More special privileges. He is paraded in front of money-donating alumni during alumni events like a piece of meat. The wealthy old men swoon. Is that athlete really in control? Is he? Those around him have removed him from a reality others share, and placed him upon a pedestal, isolated. Whatever his character or intellect, he is where he is because of his physical attributes.

This is Obama.

He is indeed over his head. He also believes all that he says is correct. And why wouldn't he? Everyone who's been surrounding him for the last 15 years had told him the same. His handlers have him believing that he's all powerful. To a point, he is. Media portrayals with his halo. God-like. Hitler-esque in his first run.

And he's never once, until this presidency, held a position that requires leadership skills. Never once. Always within a group, where he's been 'handled', groomed. Whatever his character or intellect, he is where he is because of his physical attributes. He's black. A white man with his resume would never have ascended so.

Sometimes, that athlete works out to be a terrific person with a terrific life. To do this will take a lot of character. Absent character, that same stock of opportunity can become a bankrupt cocaine problem and in jail.

Obama's end hasn't come yet. When he is no longer a useful tool, no telling what will become of him. I don't see him as a man of particularly strong character, so I am not hopeful for his long term prospects. On the other hand, I see him as an ideologue (though his ideology is terribly, terribly flawed). I do think he wants for others. I do. But he also wants for himself (it takes an egomaniac of sorts to ascend politically).

Whatever bad he is, he is not the pure brand of evil Hillary! will prove to be.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Once

Post by Once »

Neither. If I was looking for a wide variety of opinions, this isn't the forum I'd choose. I'm not sure what my lack of dangly bits has to do with this, but if you'd like to explain where you're headed with that please do so.

I was looking at the traits, mannerisms, body language, etc. suggested as indicators of someone telling a lie in the docs I was reading. The docs suggested that there are marked differences in the way a megalomaniac presents false information or even recognizes information as false. I watched his press conference and wondered how well we instinctively know someone is lying based on what we've been trained to see (as in do we recognize the queues without having to actively consider and examine them - does it become second nature?). As I've said here, I'm curious (often about meaningless crap) and some of you are kind enough to oblige me.

Ha! Edited to add I completely forgot about the word BROAD in my post. Thanks to DC for the nudge. +1
Cam Brady wrote:Are you asking this question to: 1) obtain a wide variety of opinions or 2) are you asking this question as a broad?
Last edited by Once on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Once wrote:Neither. If I was looking for a wide variety of opinions, this isn't the forum I'd choose. I'm not sure what my lack of dangly bits has to do with this, but if you'd like to explain where you're headed with that please do so.

I was looking at the traits, mannerisms, body language, etc. suggested as indicators of someone telling a lie in the docs I was reading. The docs suggested that there are marked differences in the way a megalomaniac presents false information or even recognizes information as false. I watched his press conference and wondered how well we instinctively know someone is lying based on what we've been trained to see (as in do we recognize the queues without having to actively consider and examine them - does it become second nature?). As I've said here, I'm curious (often about meaningless crap) and some of you are kind enough to oblige me.
Cam Brady wrote:Are you asking this question to: 1) obtain a wide variety of opinions or 2) are you asking this question as a broad?
I don't think he was headed anywhere. Your post said you were asking a broad question. He wanted to know whether you were asking a question for many opinions, or just a question from a broad.