Suppose October 17 gets here and there's no deal.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Suppose that Republicans refuse to give in on spending cuts and Democrats refuse to give in on no spending cuts.

What do you think happens? Obama hinted the last time (in 2011) that he didn't even consider the debt limit to be constitutional. Do you think he goes with that?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Re: Suppose October 17 gets here and there's no deal.

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Good question. He declined to act unilaterally last time. But this time may be different. At what point does the government swoop in and say enough already?
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

VoiceOfReason wrote:He declined to act unilaterally last time.
No he didn't - the situation did not arise last time - a deal was reached.

We're asking the question, what does he do if there is no deal?
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:Suppose that Republicans refuse to give in on spending cuts and Democrats refuse to give in on no spending cuts.

What do you think happens? Obama hinted the last time (in 2011) that he didn't even consider the debt limit to be constitutional. Do you think he goes with that?
I don't think Boehner will let the debt ceiling lapse.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I can tell ya this, the Chinese will be so pissed they will shut down every sushi shop in the ol USA
BigDave wrote:Suppose that Republicans refuse to give in on spending cuts and Democrats refuse to give in on no spending cuts.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

cwtcr hokie wrote:I can tell ya this, the Chinese will be so pissed they will shut down every sushi shop in the ol USA
Because they will evict the Japanese people that own the sushi shops?
nc87

Post by nc87 »

cwtcr hokie wrote:I can tell ya this, the Chinese will be so pissed they will shut down every sushi shop in the ol USA

Sushi is japanese, not chinese...
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Sushi is Japanese. I think they'll like it because they'll get a better rate going forward.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

yea, I figured I got that wrong. But I doubt they will be happy, there economy depends on ours and they own our butts. But if we don't pay them there economy crashes in a huge hurry.
awesome guy wrote:

Sushi is Japanese. I think they'll like it because they'll get a better rate going forward.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

They own our pork, no more pork chops for you bud
BigDave wrote:
Because they will evict the Japanese people that own the sushi shops?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:yea, I figured I got that wrong. But I doubt they will be happy, there economy depends on ours and they own our butts. But if we don't pay them there economy crashes in a huge hurry.
awesome guy wrote:

I don't think they're dependent on their investment revenue. The real pain will come from our money collapsing, but that will help them too by being a cheaper manufacturing location.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Frankly, I hope it happens. I hope we get to the point where the government is shut down, and the debt ceiling has been reached with no agreement. At that point we will have to make some very serious choices. What to spend, what to save, what to do with taxes, what to do with borrowing. Frankly, this was needed long ago. If this is what it takes to get spending under control, I am okay with that. Further the shutdown of the government reveals that a significant portion of the government is, to be kind, non essential. We can live without much of the government, and much of the spending that we are putting into it.

An alternative of course is that the Marxist decides to once again circumvent the Constitution, act unilaterally as the tyrant he is, and do what he will by executive order. This would bring about a constitutional crisis, & I would welcome that as well. Obama has ignored or avoided the Constitution many times and frankly others have as well but not as blatantly. This would be a good exorcism for the country.

There is going to be some pain. Good. Our wimps in Congress have dodged and weaved and ducked this crices for decades now. It's time to solve it. One way or another, this will be addressed. Or I hope it will.

I still think that the Republicans led by senator mc wimp from Arizona will cave in. They will say it's for the good of the country. They will act as statesman and martyrs. They are neither. They are wimps. And they will kick this can further down the road, and nothing will get solved.

I am rooting for a crisis. We need one.

USN_Hokie wrote:

I don't think Boehner will let the debt ceiling lapse.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

problem being the Chinese economy is already struggling mightily. They binged on debt and they have huge infrastructure and pollution issues and if we don't buy their stuff it does not take long for them to be in big trouble. The whole thing is a mess, lets hope it flies apart after I depart this planet
awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:yea, I figured I got that wrong. But I doubt they will be happy, there economy depends on ours and they own our butts. But if we don't pay them there economy crashes in a huge hurry.
awesome guy wrote:

I don't think they're dependent on their investment revenue. The real pain will come from our money collapsing, but that will help them too by being a cheaper manufacturing location.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

So the signs at the signs at the Grand Canyon will say Dà xiágǔ guójiā gōngyuán (大峽谷國家公園).
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:So the signs at the signs at the Grand Canyon will say Dà xiágǔ guójiā gōngyuán (大峽谷國家公園).
I have no idea what you said, but imagine you saying it with a symbol on your head!
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:So the signs at the signs at the Grand Canyon will say Dà xiágǔ guójiā gōngyuán (大峽谷國家公園).
盛大的派对茂优峡谷所有其他
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nc87 wrote:

Sushi is japanese, not chinese...

I took it as a Southpark reference where the Chinese & Japanese restauranteurs went to battle w/ ea other.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Marshall law?
A move toward emperorship with the help of "his" military?

The guy is ideologically a tyrant. I could easily imagine a dismissal of the constitution in favor of Executive edict.
Sure.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:

Marshall law?
A move toward emperorship with the help of "his" military?

The guy is ideologically a tyrant. I could easily imagine a dismissal of the constitution in favor of Executive edict.
Sure.
You could easily imagine that? Seriously? That really sounds like crazy talk to me. We don't live in Eqypt or some other backwards ass false democracy where the military has allegiance to one person (not chain of command allegiance, but actual personal allegiance).
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:盛大的派对茂优峡谷所有其他
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.