Dan Snyder letter defending team name

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Dan Snyder letter defending team name

Post by nolanvt »

Not a fan of any argument citing tradition. If Snyder feels that he shouldn't change the name because it's not offensive, I think he should've done so on the merits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/let ... story.html
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Re: Dan Snyder letter defending team name

Post by oaktonhokie »

Change the name to the foreskins. I've always thought that would be a great nickname for the defensive line.
Why not the whole team?

nolanvt wrote:Not a fan of any argument citing tradition. If Snyder feels that he shouldn't change the name because it's not offensive, I think he should've done so on the merits.

If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

They should be the DC Redskins
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:They should be the DC Redskins
You must have read the Onion today. :D
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

FB, same thing :)
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

My vote is for the WHAASPs (pronounced Wasps)...White Hispanic African Asian Peoples :P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

I like the name Elon used to have - the Fighting Christians.
fighting Christians.jpg
fighting Christians.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

nolanvt wrote:Not a fan of any argument citing tradition. If Snyder feels that he shouldn't change the name because it's not offensive, I think he should've done so on the merits.

Look if marriage can be so easily redefined, why not the word "redskins"?

I think nearly 100 years of being a football team qualifies it as being a new, positive definition.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Homebrew wrote:

I think nearly 100 years of being a football team qualifies it as being a new, positive definition.
If you want to argue that the name isn't racist, defend your position on the merits. Citing tradition is a logical fallacy.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
Homebrew wrote:

If you want to argue that the name isn't racist, defend your position on the merits. Citing tradition is a logical fallacy.
He did. If you can redefine a 10000 year old word, we can redefine a 100 year old word.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Homebrew wrote:

He did. If you can redefine a 10000 year old word, we can redefine a 100 year old word.
The assertion from the anti-Redskins contingent is that the name is a slur. In their opinion, just because racial slurs were okay 100 years ago (analogous to slurs that other minority groups were subjected to) doesn't mean they're okay now. The best defense for Snyder and other Redskins name advocates would be to state why the name isn't offensive. From a PR standpoint, I don't think it helps them to cite tradition as their go-to argument.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Homebrew wrote:

The assertion from the anti-Redskins contingent is that the name is a slur. In their opinion, just because racial slurs were okay 100 years ago (analogous to slurs that other minority groups were subjected to) doesn't mean they're okay now. The best defense for Snyder and other Redskins name advocates would be to state why the name isn't offensive. From a PR standpoint, I don't think it helps them to cite tradition as their go-to argument.
You're stuck in the failed policies of the past. Redskins now means "perpetual disappointment". The 10% of original North American Invaders that are offended by the old definition can accept this new definition.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote: The assertion from the anti-Redskins contingent is that the name is a slur. In their opinion, just because racial slurs were okay 100 years ago (analogous to slurs that other minority groups were subjected to) doesn't mean they're okay now. The best defense for Snyder and other Redskins name advocates would be to state why the name isn't offensive. From a PR standpoint, I don't think it helps them to cite tradition as their go-to argument.
Not directed at you, but.... 1. That "assertion" is rubbish IMO. What other sports teams have "slurs" for names? This seems like a pantywaist outrage... "OMGZ they described a group by the color of their skin!" 2. It seems that the only people making hay about this is political groups....ie, this is another attempt by the administration to make a "wedge" issue. Divider in Chief...indeed. The general public and redskin fans in general have no problem with it to my knowledge.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Within 10 years or so..NFL and NBA nicknames will be irrelevant anyway. American pro sports are going the way of the Euro soccer leagues...What is Manchester United's "nickname"??? anyone??- same for the Washington Football franchise in 10 years...they will be known by the main product they hock, like Manchester is known for Vodaphone or EON...which is the main thing on their jerseys...
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:Within 10 years or so..NFL and NBA nicknames will be irrelevant anyway. American pro sports are going the way of the Euro soccer leagues...What is Manchester United's "nickname"??? anyone??- same for the Washington Football franchise in 10 years...they will be known by the main product they hock, like Manchester is known for Vodaphone or EON...which is the main thing on their jerseys...
I agree with you. I think the NBA has flirted with the idea of advertisements on uniforms, so it's only a question of when it'll happen with the revenue streams to be generated from it.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:Within 10 years or so..NFL and NBA nicknames will be irrelevant anyway. American pro sports are going the way of the Euro soccer leagues...What is Manchester United's "nickname"??? anyone??- same for the Washington Football franchise in 10 years...they will be known by the main product they hock, like Manchester is known for Vodaphone or EON...which is the main thing on their jerseys...
I don't think so. AFAIK, Baseball/Football team names go back a lot further than most of the Futbol teams. For example, I can't imagine New York dropping the name "Yankees" if for no other reason than tradition. And, if they did, what would the Mets call themselves....besides losers?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
I don't think so. AFAIK, Baseball/Football team names go back a lot further than most of the Futbol teams. For example, I can't imagine New York dropping the name "Yankees" if for no other reason than tradition. And, if they did, what would the Mets call themselves....besides losers?
As a southerner whose home town was burned down, fields salted, and made to suffer unimaginable inhumanity at the hands of Yankees , I'm deeply offended by the name and demand they change it. Change this offensive name now!
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
As a southerner whose home town was burned down, fields salted, and made to suffer unimaginable inhumanity at the hands of Yankees , I'm deeply offended by the name and demand they change it. Change this offensive name now!
Yes, and as a veteran, I'm offended by the name "dodgers," and I'm sure that all Libertarians are offended by the name "Patriots" and its implied endorsement of the MIIILITARYYY INNNNDUSTRIALLLL COOOOMPLEXXX.

I'm not sure there's a single team name that some bleeding heart couldn't get butthurt over - White Sox? I think that could be a derogatory term for blue collar workers...after all, people who wear suits to work don't wear white socks.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:...after all, people who wear suits to work don't wear white socks.
Apparently you never met my father.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:...after all, people who wear suits to work don't wear white socks.
Sure about that? Or is it the "dad look" of dress socks with sneakers and shorts?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:

I wouldn't call that a suit...

:D
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

RESPECT THE UNIFORM!
USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

I wouldn't call that a suit...

:D
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Florida Hokie wrote:RESPECT THE UNIFORM!
:P
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Let me ask you this question. If they changed the name to "white skins" do you think anyone would get upset? If so, do you think its more likely that white people would get upset, or some other race?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Let me ask you this question. If they changed the name to "white skins" do you think anyone would get upset? If so, do you think its more likely that white people would get upset, or some other race?

How about the Washington Yuppies!?