N Word on Red Lobster Tip nets waitress $10k

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Once

Re: N Word on Red Lobster Tip nets waitress $10k

Post by Once »

I see. We could have just shorthanded this and said, "whatever occurred, he clearly had a problem with her and a part of that problem, if not the whole problem, is that she happens to be brown."
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:I must be misunderstanding you. You surely aren't saying that bad service (if there even was bad service because after all it hasn't been stated that there was bad service at all) warrants being called a racial slur intended to belittle a person?

I wasn't really suggesting we string someone up (hence the eye roll emoticon). I just think cash to compensate for hurt feelings an odd concept. I also feel that way about legal cases where people sue for boatloads of money based on emotional stress. It always makes me feel like they are getting unrelated compensation (I killed your fish... Will this $1400 pair of Jimmy Choos make you miss your fish less?)
I'm explaining, not excusing
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:I could see the insult being related to bad service. She could have had a bad attitude too. Or cursed him. There are lots of scenarios where she isn't called that out of the blue. Especially in modern times.

But I wouldn't string up anyone for an insult. Air is free, touching costs.
I have been at restaurants where I kinda felt like the server just assumed I was going to be a bad tipper for one reason or another and so they behaved accordingly. So if I tip poorly, I confirm (in their mind) the stereotype ... if I tip well, I reward bad behavior.

Of course, however I dealt with the problem - it would not be by calling the server a racial slur.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Golly, I wonder if Muslims, Hispanics, gaze, and capricorns will find profitable insults on their receipts.

Florida Hokie wrote:I hate to be a cynic but I have a very hard time believing someone, even the most ardent racist, would willingly write the N word on a receipt with their name.

I'm predicting this story falls apart in the next few days and the man that raised $10k for this girl is going to fall hard on his pillow of white guilt.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/re ... cipes.html
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Once

Post by Once »

It's possible that Muslims, Hispanics, homosexuals, and sea-goats will find slurs on their receipts. That said, I've never met anyone who is bigoted against sea-goats.
oaktonhokie wrote:Golly, I wonder if Muslims, Hispanics, gaze, and capricorns will find profitable insults on their receipts.

Florida Hokie wrote:I hate to be a cynic but I have a very hard time believing someone, even the most ardent racist, would willingly write the N word on a receipt with their name.

I'm predicting this story falls apart in the next few days and the man that raised $10k for this girl is going to fall hard on his pillow of white guilt.

Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

USN_Hokie wrote:

I went to a football game and some a-hole put "Redskins" on my receipt. What do I get?
You get the right to marry an Indian man.