Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

N Word on Red Lobster Tip nets waitress $10k

Post by Florida Hokie »

I hate to be a cynic but I have a very hard time believing someone, even the most ardent racist, would willingly write the N word on a receipt with their name.

I'm predicting this story falls apart in the next few days and the man that raised $10k for this girl is going to fall hard on his pillow of white guilt.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/re ... cipes.html
BigDave
Party: Republican

Re: N Word on Red Lobster Tip nets waitress $10k

Post by BigDave »

Florida Hokie wrote:I hate to be a cynic but I have a very hard time believing someone, even the most ardent racist, would willingly write the N word on a receipt with their name.

I'm predicting this story falls apart in the next few days and the man that raised $10k for this girl is going to fall hard on his pillow of white guilt.

That sounds like a good business plan for the entrepreneurial waiter or waitress - claim that someone called you a slur, get it to go viral, and watch the donations pour in.

Bonus points if you are, say, an ethnic minority and gay.

(Note - I'm not saying that this person isn't telling the truth - just observing that the lesson learned here might be a good motivation for someone else to lie.)
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Can she post personal information like that? I would sue for publishing the info and libel. Yes, I think she's full of it too and is mad at being a crappy waitress, so bad to not get a tip.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:Can she post personal information like that? I would sue for publishing the info and libel. Yes, I think she's full of it too and is mad at being a crappy waitress, so bad to not get a tip.
Only libel if it's false, right?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Yes. I'm assuming it's false because it seems so silly and was blocked out.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:Yes. I'm assuming it's false because it seems so silly and was blocked out.
Here is the un-redacted version.

I am not a handwriting expert, but the e's in none and n-word seem to make it pretty likely those were written by the same person. But those two words are slanted the opposite way of the signature, so I'm not convinced that the person that wrote those two things was the same person who signed it. Also, the "none" is half in cursive, so you would think that their signature would look similar. But one of the articles says that it was a couple at the restaurant, so just because there's two different bits of handwriting doesn't mean it's fake - one of them might have filled in the lack of tip and the other might have signed it.

I don't know why in the world, though, even if you're a racist, you'd do something like this when someone has your name and credit card number. Then again, if you're eating at Red Lobster, you're not that bright anyway.
n-word.jpeg
n-word.jpeg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Tip stuff looks the same to me, but different from the signature. But why not enter 0, the total, and then a nasty note? Could be legit, but I'm skeptical.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:I hate to be a cynic but I have a very hard time believing someone, even the most ardent racist, would willingly write the N word on a receipt with their name.

I went to a football game and some a-hole put "Redskins" on my receipt. What do I get?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

my thoughts exactly, the handwriting does not appear to match up to me but again like you say how smart is it to do that for someone that has your credit card data? Easy to fake it tho with some whiteout, I would believe it more if the manager was the one bringing it up and since the person did not fill in the total I would think the manager would go after the customer as the receipt is not technically valid

BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Yes. I'm assuming it's false because it seems so silly and was blocked out.
Here is the un-redacted version.

I am not a handwriting expert, but the e's in none and n-word seem to make it pretty likely those were written by the same person. But those two words are slanted the opposite way of the signature, so I'm not convinced that the person that wrote those two things was the same person who signed it. Also, the "none" is half in cursive, so you would think that their signature would look similar. But one of the articles says that it was a couple at the restaurant, so just because there's two different bits of handwriting doesn't mean it's fake - one of them might have filled in the lack of tip and the other might have signed it.

I don't know why in the world, though, even if you're a racist, you'd do something like this when someone has your name and credit card number. Then again, if you're eating at Red Lobster, you're not that bright anyway.
n-word.jpeg
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

USN_Hokie wrote:I went to a football game and some a-hole put "Redskins" on my receipt. What do I get?
A 3rd round draft pick and an appetizer to be named later? :D
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

BigDave

Post by BigDave »

cwtcr hokie wrote:my thoughts exactly, the handwriting does not appear to match up to me but again like you say how smart is it to do that for someone that has your credit card data? Easy to fake it tho with some whiteout, I would believe it more if the manager was the one bringing it up and since the person did not fill in the total I would think the manager would go after the customer as the receipt is not technically valid
Why wouldn't it be valid? It should be treated as a $0 tip.

There's a restaurant I go to quite a bit and one time I noticed that the amount didn't look right on my credit card. I didn't write it down on my receipt, but I knew the price of the meal I usually order and I knew what I usually tip and so the amount on my credit card doesn't vary.

They pulled the receipt and I don't remember now what it was - a 4 in the tip amount looked like a 9 or something. But I asked them why not just look at the total, which was perfectly clear. They said that it didn't matter what I wrote in the total - the tip was the only thing that mattered. If I write $1000 in the total, but leave the tip blank, then the waitress gets stiffed and if I write $1000 in the tip but leave the total blank, the waitress gets 1000 bucks.
VoiceOfReason
Party: Every chance I get

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Haven't there been a series of "receipt stories" in the news over the last few months? I find them all very difficult to believe.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Haven't there been a series of "receipt stories" in the news over the last few months? I find them all very difficult to believe.
There's one in the news now of a scumbag that refuses to pay the bills, won't even pay benefits to our dead veterans. Won't open the nation just to keep a broken website. Ridiculous. That one's true though. Obama is his name.
Once

Post by Once »

No idea whether the receipt is genuine or not. The server could have manufactured it (certainly been known to happen). Conversely, the customer could genuinely be a racist idiot and an impulsive ass to boot. What I find odd is the fact that being called a name warrants a fundraising campaign. It's a horrible word. I hate that word. I'm honestly not sure what I'm getting at here except the vague notion that $10 large doesn't really do anything to make up for calling her that word. It's a horribly ridiculous metaphor, but it's like someone egged her car and anonymous strangers got together and bought her a lifetime subscription to the fruit of the month club.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:No idea whether the receipt is genuine or not. The server could have manufactured it (certainly been known to happen). Conversely, the customer could genuinely be a racist idiot and an impulsive ass to boot. What I find odd is the fact that being called a name warrants a fundraising campaign. It's a horrible word. I hate that word. I'm honestly not sure what I'm getting at here except the vague notion that $10 large doesn't really do anything to make up for calling her that word. It's a horribly ridiculous metaphor, but it's like someone egged her car and anonymous strangers got together and bought her a lifetime subscription to the fruit of the month club.

I think they're related. She's saying she got a bad tip because the customer was racist. So they gave her a jumbo tip for being a victim.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

Those kind of campaigns make people feel like they are doing something about a problem without actually doing any hard work to resolve said problem.
Once wrote:No idea whether the receipt is genuine or not. The server could have manufactured it (certainly been known to happen). Conversely, the customer could genuinely be a racist idiot and an impulsive ass to boot. What I find odd is the fact that being called a name warrants a fundraising campaign. It's a horrible word. I hate that word. I'm honestly not sure what I'm getting at here except the vague notion that $10 large doesn't really do anything to make up for calling her that word. It's a horribly ridiculous metaphor, but it's like someone egged her car and anonymous strangers got together and bought her a lifetime subscription to the fruit of the month club.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:Those kind of campaigns make people feel like they are doing something about a problem without actually doing any hard work to resolve said problem.

Yep. The second customer will get just as awful service as the first. But now 50k worth of bad service can occur and she break even.
Once

Post by Once »

I get that. That's fairly obvious. My weirdness with all this is that at the end of the day, does $10K make her feel better about the fact that she's inherently worth less or easier to be cruel to in the eyes of the racist person who tried to belittle her because of her physical appearance? How does $10K fix that? I'm sure the money is useful (much like a lifetime supply of fruit), but it does nothing to assuage the original insult, which was more about being called a vile name/attempt to put her in her place as long as that place was firmly positioned beneath the customer, and less about being denied a lousy $10 or $12 buck tip.

I guess I'm saying the money wouldn't fix it for me. No idea what would though. Just seems odd.
awesome guy wrote:

I think they're related. She's saying she got a bad tip because the customer was racist. So they gave her a jumbo tip for being a victim.
Once

Post by Once »

How do you know what the service was like? Did I miss something in the article?
awesome guy wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:Those kind of campaigns make people feel like they are doing something about a problem without actually doing any hard work to resolve said problem.

Yep. The second customer will get just as awful service as the first. But now 50k worth of bad service can occur and she break even.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:I get that. That's fairly obvious. My weirdness with all this is that at the end of the day, does $10K make her feel better about the fact that she's inherently worth less or easier to be cruel to in the eyes of the racist person who tried to belittle her because of her physical appearance? How does $10K fix that? I'm sure the money is useful (much like a lifetime supply of fruit), but it does nothing to assuage the original insult, which was more about being called a vile name/attempt to put her in her place as long as that place was firmly positioned beneath the customer, and less about being denied a lousy $10 or $12 buck tip.

I guess I'm saying the money wouldn't fix it for me. No idea what would though. Just seems odd.
awesome guy wrote:

10k is exactly what she was looking for in my opinion. She knows victimhood pays.

But for the amount ... I'd take getting bad names for 10k a pop. Most people get $0. Her insult was minor, not worth a penny if it happened at all. She gets called that and a beotch on rap songs she likely buys. Should J-z also pay up?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:How do you know what the service was like? Did I miss something in the article?
awesome guy wrote:

She got a tip if 0. That typically happens when the service sucks. I like to leave a penny so they know I didn't forget it.
Once

Post by Once »

On one thing we agree. Money doesn't rectify the insult. If it happened as the server says, maybe we could string the bigot up naked and flick lit matches at his junk.... Just a thought... :roll:

It's pure speculation to say with any certainty that she made it up. Who knows? It's also pure speculation to say the service was bad. Who knows? You leave no tip when the service is bad, but I'd like to think you don't leave a racial slur on the receipt. That isn't a typical response to bad service unless there's something wrong with you (not you personally, but a hypothetical you).

The $10k just seems odd.
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:I get that. That's fairly obvious. My weirdness with all this is that at the end of the day, does $10K make her feel better about the fact that she's inherently worth less or easier to be cruel to in the eyes of the racist person who tried to belittle her because of her physical appearance? How does $10K fix that? I'm sure the money is useful (much like a lifetime supply of fruit), but it does nothing to assuage the original insult, which was more about being called a vile name/attempt to put her in her place as long as that place was firmly positioned beneath the customer, and less about being denied a lousy $10 or $12 buck tip.

awesome guy wrote:

10k is exactly what she was looking for in my opinion. She knows victimhood pays.

But for the amount ... I'd take getting bad names for 10k a pop. Most people get $0. Her insult was minor, not worth a penny if it happened at all.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:On one thing we agree. Money doesn't rectify the insult. If it happened as the server says, maybe we could string the bigot up naked and flick lit matches at his junk.... Just a thought... :roll:

It's pure speculation to say with any certainty that she made it up. Who knows? It's also pure speculation to say the service was bad. Who knows? You leave no tip when the service is bad, but I'd like to think you don't leave a racial slur on the receipt. That isn't a typical response to bad service unless there's something wrong with you (not you personally, but a hypothetical you).

The $10k just seems odd.
awesome guy wrote:

awesome guy wrote:

But for the amount ... I'd take getting bad names for 10k a pop. Most people get $0. Her insult was minor, not worth a penny if it happened at all.
I could see the insult being related to bad service. She could have had a bad attitude too. Or cursed him. There are lots of scenarios where she isn't called that out of the blue. Especially in modern times.

But I wouldn't string up anyone for an insult. Air is free, touching costs.
Once

Post by Once »

I must be misunderstanding you. You surely aren't saying that bad service (if there even was bad service because after all it hasn't been stated that there was bad service at all) warrants being called a racial slur intended to belittle a person?

I wasn't really suggesting we string someone up (hence the eye roll emoticon). I just think cash to compensate for hurt feelings an odd concept. I also feel that way about legal cases where people sue for boatloads of money based on emotional stress. It always makes me feel like they are getting unrelated compensation (I killed your fish... Will this $1400 pair of Jimmy Choos make you miss your fish less?)

awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:On one thing we agree. Money doesn't rectify the insult. If it happened as the server says, maybe we could string the bigot up naked and flick lit matches at his junk.... Just a thought... :roll:

The $10k just seems odd.

I could see the insult being related to bad service. She could have had a bad attitude too. Or cursed him. There are lots of scenarios where she isn't called that out of the blue. Especially in modern times.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:I must be misunderstanding you. You surely aren't saying that bad service (if there even was bad service because after all it hasn't been stated that there was bad service at all) warrants being called a racial slur intended to belittle a person?

I wasn't really suggesting we string someone up (hence the eye roll emoticon). I just think cash to compensate for hurt feelings an odd concept. I also feel that way about legal cases where people sue for boatloads of money based on emotional stress. It always makes me feel like they are getting unrelated compensation (I killed your fish... Will this $1400 pair of Jimmy Choos make you miss your fish less?)

awesome guy wrote:

The $10k just seems odd.

I'm explaining, not excusing