Today I entered the 21st century...cellphone wise. ☺

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I'm with Tracfone and have been for years. My phone was your basic LG 501C bought from Dollar General for $9.99 over 3 years ago. All I do is phone calls, no texting, web surfing or really anything else.

It died Tuesday so I went down to the local Dollar Store and Wal-Mart and not much there.

Stopped by the local Verizon store and was able to order a re-certified iPhone 4s 16GB White for $100 and a $45 monthly plan. I got it today...now what are some good Apps for an old crotchety fart? ☺
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Today I entered the 21st century...cellphone wise. ☺

Post by awesome guy »

AARP? ;)
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Uprising
Alma Mater: VT
Party: etc

Post by Uprising »

Major Kong wrote:I'm with Tracfone and have been for years. My phone was your basic LG 501C bought from Dollar General for $9.99 over 3 years ago. All I do is phone calls, no texting, web surfing or really anything else.

It died Tuesday so I went down to the local Dollar Store and Wal-Mart and not much there.

Stopped by the local Verizon store and was able to order a re-certified iPhone 4s 16GB White for $100 and a $45 monthly plan. I got it today...now what are some good Apps for an old crotchety fart? [WHITE SMILING FACE]
Tapatalk
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Uprising wrote:Tapatalk
I doubt I'll use tapatalk. My eyes are fine and I see the screen well but I have a heller time on those small keyboards even with a stylus.

My hands and fingers just don't work as well as they used too. :cry:

Uprising

Post by Uprising »

Major Kong wrote:
Uprising wrote:Tapatalk
I doubt I'll use tapatalk. My eyes are fine and I see the screen well but I have a heller time on those small keyboards even with a stylus.

My hands and fingers just don't work as well as they used too. :cry:
Hmmm... Try text to type sometime. On apple it is the microphone symbol located to the left of the space bar, I believe. You speak, it types. Hopefully it can understand the swva accent. [emoji6]
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Uprising wrote:Hmmm... Try text to type sometime. On apple it is the microphone symbol located to the left of the space bar, I believe. You speak, it types. Hopefully it can understand the swva accent. [emoji6]
Thanx I'll give it a look see errrr hear. :mrgreen:

By the time I moved down here my Richmond accent had already taken hold and still with me. According to most folks I have a Gone with the Wind accent...the looks I get when I say I'm going to the hoose are priceless. :)

Uprising

Post by Uprising »

Major Kong wrote:
Uprising wrote:Hmmm... Try text to type sometime. On apple it is the microphone symbol located to the left of the space bar, I believe. You speak, it types. Hopefully it can understand the swva accent. [emoji6]
Thanx I'll give it a look see errrr hear. :mrgreen:

By the time I moved down here my Richmond accent had already taken hold and still with me. According to most folks I have a Gone with the Wind accent...the looks I get when I say I'm going to the hoose are priceless. :)
That's speech-to-text. Text to type was the wine talking.

If you say hoose, you might get the hose.

Get a good podcast app, though that may just be iTunes on an apple (I use android). I would recommend Stitcher.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Well rat farts my certified pre-owned iPhone 4S only lived a week and all the sudden died an inglorious death. :(

I'm going to get another certified pre-owned iPhone 4S sent overnight tomorrow and I send the other one back...instead of a white phone this one will be a black phone

I was just getting used to it...nice phone but there is no freaking way I'd pay $700 for a 6S phone. :)

lazyrebel
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Conservative

Post by lazyrebel »

candy crush
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Welpers FedEx delivered it this morning and all seems hunky dory for now. :)

One problem with Smyth County is Marion and Chilhowie (anywhere off I-81) is covered pretty well by the major carriers...get a few miles from I-81 and you're limited to Verizon...all the others are spotty at best.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Major Kong wrote:Welpers FedEx delivered it this morning and all seems hunky dory for now. :)

One problem with Smyth County is Marion and Chilhowie (anywhere off I-81) is covered pretty well by the major carriers...get a few miles from I-81 and you're limited to Verizon...all the others are spotty at best.
Get swiftkey, it is the best (in my opinion) keyboard app which should be available for iphone now. It basically learns how you type and starts to predict what you are going to say. If you hate a touch screen it is a must.

Also, most people don't pay $700 for a phone, but pay $100 - $300 and are stuck with a carrier for 2 years.
People who know, know.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

TheH2 wrote:Get swiftkey, it is the best (in my opinion) keyboard app which should be available for iphone now. It basically learns how you type and starts to predict what you are going to say. If you hate a touch screen it is a must.

Also, most people don't pay $700 for a phone, but pay $100 - $300 and are stuck with a carrier for 2 years.
Thanx I appreciate it :!:

I've been with Tracfone for so long I don't really know much about the cell phone game anymore. :)

I'm with the $45 a month Verizon Pay as you go plan with auto renew so far so gooderly. :)

FTR my wife has an Alcatel Icon Android phone thru tracfone that she loves...in some ways I like it more than my S4.

Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Yeah Kong, I got an iPhone model five about 1.5 years ago. I think I had to agree to a two year deal with AT&T, and the phone was $200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I have heard of people paying $700 for an iPhone, if you get an unlocked one, where you can put any SIM card in it, with no contract. I had a guy visit me from overseas for work and the first thing he wanted to do after landing was go to an Apple Store, to buy an unlocked one as the $700 was a lot less than what he had to pay somewhere in Asia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:I'm with Tracfone and have been for years. My phone was your basic LG 501C bought from Dollar General for $9.99 over 3 years ago. All I do is phone calls, no texting, web surfing or really anything else.

Stopped by the local Verizon store and was able to order a re-certified iPhone 4s 16GB White for $100 and a $45 monthly plan. I got it today...now what are some good Apps for an old crotchety fart? ☺
I recommend the following:

Pillboxie. Your pill manager app.
Crosswords Classic. You do like crosswords, right?
Yesterday USA - replays of radio shows from 1930s and 40s!
TED Talks - everyone should have this, regardless of age.
BBC News - same thing. News from a different viewpoint.
One of the news aggregators (Flipboard, Prismatic, there are tons of them). Unless you use Google Reader, need to find one that doesn't basically link to your Google reader accout.