anyone ever use FlexSeal?

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
awesome guy
Party: After 10

anyone ever use FlexSeal?

Post by awesome guy »

I'm looking at making a cold suite on the cheap. Rather than spend $400-$800 for a dry cold suit, I'm thinking of taking a pair of sweatpants and coating them in Flex Seal Clear, or something similar. It supposedly keeps a boat with a screen door afloat, I'm thinking it may work well enough to keep me dry on the kayak throughout the winter. Then again, hyperthermia is no joke and I'm not sure if I want to get swamped miles or even a mile offshore with some Made For TV product and WalMart sweat pants. Even if it just makes me feel better, the cold suite may be worth the investment. It's cheap enough to be worth an experiment I think.

http://ww2.getflexseal.com/
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: anyone ever use FlexSeal?

Post by Florida Hokie »

Is it made for skin contact?

Whatever you do - post pictures. The entertainment factor here is off the charts! :)

For the record - as much as you fish and enjoy outdoors - a dry suit seems like a reasonable investment to me.
awesome guy wrote:I'm looking at making a cold suite on the cheap. Rather than spend $400-$800 for a dry cold suit, I'm thinking of taking a pair of sweatpants and coating them in Flex Seal Clear, or something similar. It supposedly keeps a boat with a screen door afloat, I'm thinking it may work well enough to keep me dry on the kayak throughout the winter. Then again, hyperthermia is no joke and I'm not sure if I want to get swamped miles or even a mile offshore with some Made For TV product and WalMart sweat pants. Even if it just makes me feel better, the cold suite may be worth the investment. It's cheap enough to be worth an experiment I think.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hyperthermia? Where the hell are you kayaking? :P

Please post pictures of your flex-seal sweatpants setup on http://failblog.cheezburger.com/thereifixedit as a public service. :mrgreen:
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote: For the record - as much as you fish and enjoy outdoors - a dry suit seems like a reasonable investment to me.
]
Seriously...this.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Random thoughts, in response:

why am I imagining that guy and his bear suit? (entertainment value, indeed!)

Cold suite? Is that like MSOffice? Or is it commercial space with no heating?

Wondering what you'll do re: gasket neck, wrists, and waist.

You MUST make this attempt, even if you eventually end up at ARC for the dry suit. FlexSeal is only $19.99..but wait! There's more!
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:Hyperthermia? Where the hell are you kayaking? :P

Please post pictures of your flex-seal sweatpants setup on http://failblog.cheezburger.com/thereifixedit as a public service. :mrgreen:
haha. I'll post pics. Of course hypothermia! :)

I may just be dreaming because the baby has ended fishing for me over the last couple weeks. Even though I managed to sneak out to the river the night she was born. :) Thank God for sedation for my wife! But if I can get back out, I want to be all over the concrete ships off Kiptopeke for stripers. Bouncing a 2-3 ounce egg sinker off the bottom with live eels is a most gooderly way of crushing them! And when I'm not there, I'll be up in the creeks and under the bridges of the James, crushing giant catfish. Then again, I'm not looking forward to being in a sit-on yak in the dead of winter, with temps in the teens. It sucks when going out like that on a cuddy cab with a heater. Actually dangerous wet in the water. I went out when it dropped to single digits, the bait frozen solid before we could get it in the water. So net gizzard shad, cut gizzard shad, put on hook and it's an ice block by this time. We covered the decks in rock salt to melt the ice created from pulling in nets, fish, etc. We'd fish 12 hours straight, all night long like this. I'm thinking I'll get just 2-4 hours in on a kayak before wanting be back in. So why do this? This Jan for example, I started the night by losing a nice fish, felt 50-60 pounds. 20 minutes later, my buddy pulls in a 53 pounder. We pulled a couple 20ish pounders out of that same creek. Moved to the next honey hole, got a 53, 2 47s, a 43, a couple more in the 40s, then 20+ fish in the 20-30 pound range. We were pulling them in faster than we could get them back in the water, the back of the boat had 3-4 trophy cats at one time flopping around as we're trying to get pictures as we're pulling in the next hit. And that was one spot! Winter catfishing is that awesome. It's nothing to get 5-10 trophy fish in one night. The secret is to keep moving. They're stacked up at that time of the year. So if you don't get a bite within 15-30 minutes of anchoring up, there likely isn't anything there. But when we get a structure holding any fish, there is likely 10-20 fish there too. So it's feast or famine, either catching more big fish than you thought possible or nothing at all. It's worth the risk.

I may get a sit-in yak for the winter. That'll keep me drier and so them really just worried about water that comes in the boat with fish or nets instead of it always coming in and out like on the sit-on. If I'm in fresh water, the scupper holes may even freeze shut. I already have all the rigging for it and accessories which is half the cost, so it'll just be a grand for the boat. And it'll be more comfortable for shad fishing in the spring. Mmmm.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:Is it made for skin contact?

Whatever you do - post pictures. The entertainment factor here is off the charts! :)

For the record - as much as you fish and enjoy outdoors - a dry suit seems like a reasonable investment to me.
awesome guy wrote:I'm looking at making a cold suite on the cheap. Rather than spend $400-$800 for a dry cold suit, I'm thinking of taking a pair of sweatpants and coating them in Flex Seal Clear, or something similar. It supposedly keeps a boat with a screen door afloat, I'm thinking it may work well enough to keep me dry on the kayak throughout the winter. Then again, hyperthermia is no joke and I'm not sure if I want to get swamped miles or even a mile offshore with some Made For TV product and WalMart sweat pants. Even if it just makes me feel better, the cold suite may be worth the investment. It's cheap enough to be worth an experiment I think.

They have one or similar product that's for shoes, so I assume it'll work for cloths. Need to find out.

For photogenics, I don't think I'll look any less retarded in my homemade spidey suit than one of these.

http://www.paddleva.com/Accessories-Clothing-Dry-Suits
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:Random thoughts, in response:

You MUST make this attempt, even if you eventually end up at ARC for the dry suit. FlexSeal is only $19.99..but wait! There's more!
Thinking about using gloves, scarfs, etc for extremities. The big one is keeping the feet dry at launch. I don't want or like big boots. I may get those neoprene booties or something similar for feet and then put some sandals on over it for traction in case of turtling.
Once

Post by Once »

I have a slightly used chicken costume I'll let him HAVE outright if he'll agree to take and post pics of his experiment.
RiverguyVT wrote:Random thoughts, in response:

pancaker2.0

You might want to consider coating your manhood with it so t

Post by pancaker2.0 »

you'll end up having a permanent condom.
USN_Hokie

Re: You might want to consider coating your manhood with it

Post by USN_Hokie »

pancaker2.0 wrote:you'll end up having a permanent condom.
I did that to mine...it doubles as a beer cozzy.