This house is clean!

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

This house is clean!

Post by Major Kong »

Today I exorcised Comcast out of our house :!: :mrgreen:

I went with a local broadband company Smyth Net...the speeds aren't comcastesque but 10X better than the local century link DSL. :)

For phone we got an Ooma and all I got to say is so far so very good. :) $114 for the box thru Wal-Mart.com and $4.60 a month for fed, state and local taxes. Set up was about 2 minutes.

We've been DirectTV customers for years starting in Tucson then when we returned to VA in '07. In AK we had a big assed mountain blocking the signal so we let my folks have the equipment and I transferred the service to them in '01.

$100 a month cut from the monthly budget and more importantly bye bye Comcast. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

TheH2

Re: This house is clean!

Post by TheH2 »

Major Kong wrote:Today I exorcised Comcast out of our house :!: :mrgreen:

I went with a local broadband company Smyth Net...the speeds aren't comcastesque but 10X better than the local century link DSL. :)

For phone we got an Ooma and all I got to say is so far so very good. :) $114 for the box thru Wal-Mart.com and $4.60 a month for fed, state and local taxes. Set up was about 2 minutes.

We've been DirectTV customers for years starting in Tucson then when we returned to VA in '07. In AK we had a big assed mountain blocking the signal so we let my folks have the equipment and I transferred the service to them in '01.

$100 a month cut from the monthly budget and more importantly bye bye Comcast. :mrgreen:
Congrats. I'm very close to getting rid of Comcast cable, but no other options for me in terms of broadband, well, DSL, but it is extremely slow and my one attempt to switch it was surprisingly unreliable (although I think it's because I used their router instead of mine).
People who know, know.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: This house is clean!

Post by Major Kong »

TheH2 wrote:Congrats. I'm very close to getting rid of Comcast cable, but no other options for me in terms of broadband, well, DSL, but it is extremely slow and my one attempt to switch it was surprisingly unreliable (although I think it's because I used their router instead of mine).
For a long time comcast and century link were the only games in town.

We can get century link but the best they can offer us here is 512K down and 256K up...jeez.

A few years ago a new local player got started up and they offer RF internet with good pings and we're seeing 6.5Mbps down and 5Mbps up...this summer they'll be increasing to 12Mbps down and 10Mbps up with no price increase.

We're using Ooma for land line and it works very well. I stream Amazon Prime movies with no problems. As an aside Skyfall is fricking awesome :!: :mrgreen:

Of course any talk of eliminating Directv would lead to immediate bodily harm inflicted upon me by both my darling wife and son. :shock: :)

The real pisser was Smyth County spent $8million in 2011 of Information Corridor grant money and installed fiber optic cable throughout the county with the "promise" of bringing it to residents. Actually though the only folks that can get it are businesses and gubment entities.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.