AG, watch your back.

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
PolyTech

AG, watch your back.

Post by PolyTech »

I'd keep this article away from the missus.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-accused-kil ... 10061.html

GOSHEN, N.Y. (AP) — A woman accused of killing her fiance while out paddling on the Hudson River admitted tampering with his kayak and later confessed "it felt good knowing he would die," a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Angelika Graswald, 35, has been indicted on a second-degree murder charge in the death of Vincent Viafore in choppy, chilly water on the evening of April 19. Police say he died 50 miles north of New York City near Bannerman Island, a scenic ruin near the east shore where the longtime U.S. resident from Latvia volunteered as a gardener.

Viafore, 46, was not wearing a life jacket and his body hasn't been found.

Assistant District Attorney Julie Mohl said at a bail hearing Wednesday that Graswald felt trapped and stood to benefit by $250,000 from life insurance policies. Mohl did not detail how Graswald tampered with her fiance's kayak but said it filled with water and capsized. Viafore held onto his boat for 5 to 10 minutes, but Graswald called 911 some 20 minutes after his kayak capsized. Witnesses say she intentionally capsized her own kayak, Mohl said.

"She felt trapped and it was her only way out," Mohl said.

Graswald was rescued by another boater and treated for hypothermia.

She later told investigators that she felt relief and "it felt good knowing he would die," Mohl said.

The judge set bail for Graswald, who appeared in court in shackles and an orange jumpsuit, at $3 million cash.

After the hearing, defense attorney Richard Portale noted the language barrier between Graswald and investigators. He said he would look into whether her statements were voluntary.

"I'm skeptical of the statements," he said.

Since her arrest almost two weeks ago, those who know Graswald have been trying to square the fun-loving woman they knew with the killer described by authorities.

"The bubbly, bouncy little ballerina girl had a dark side," said Mike Colvin, a disc jockey in Poughkeepsie she lived with from November 2008 to June 2010. Still, he never saw Graswald act in a way that suggested violence.

Graswald could walk into a room full of strangers and know everyone's name by the time she left, Colvin said. But he said he also had authority issues and could make unwise snap decisions when angry. She had run through two marriages and a string of jobs by her mid-30s. The impulsiveness apparently contributed to her checkered job history at restaurants and other businesses.

"They would have staff meetings, and she would just lose it, and eventually she'd have to be let go," Colvin said. "This happened more than once. Not a big fan of authority."

Graswald and Viafore appeared to be a happy couple.

Images posted online show an active, affectionate pair spending time outdoors, particularly on the water, and a message about their plans to be married at a spot on the Baltic Sea. Sean Von Clauss, a professional musician from Boston who had known Viafore since boyhood, recalls how the couple would affectionately slow dance when he performed "Shama Lama Ding Dong."

"They were always in love — singing, dancing and holding. They were always together," Von Clauss said. "He was thrilled that he found his soul mate."

Viafore had a booming laugh and loved to socialize — the kind of guy who would pick up the check, Von Clauss said.

Von Clauss said he saw Graswald the Friday before her arrest at a gathering to remember Viafore at a bar. She brought a poster board covered with pictures and asked Von Clauss to play "Shama Lama Ding Dong." Usually they would play "Hotel California" together, but she asked him to play solo that night. Then she forgot the words.

"We all kind of sang along, then she sort of finished it by herself," he said. "We all gave her a big round of applause anyway."
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: AG, watch your back.

Post by awesome guy »

<ghost of AG>tell me about it</ghost of AG>

Seriously, on him to go out without therms or a path to safety. You've got to assume turtling or some other calamity will occur. And how did she sabotage a yak like that? He should have detected the leak. Sounds like he was inexperienced or just not careful. Prepare for the worst and pray for the best. Experience seeking there as I've done my share of bone headed things on the water, saved only by my enormous white male privilege.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

I'm afraid to Google what turtling is :shock:

Has she updated your life insurance lately?
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:I'm afraid to Google what turtling is :shock:

Has she updated your life insurance lately?

haha, it's benign. Turtling is just flipping the kayak, the plastic kayak is flipped over on top of you, like a turtle. :) Though it's very difficult to do in my kayak. I have one of the most stable models on the market and it generally takes a 3+ foot wake hitting me on the side to turtle it. That said, I did turtle it the very first time I took it out. And that was from the culmination of me 1) taking it to Cape Point in Buxton NC for my very first trip in it and 2) I didn't have the seat trimmed correctly and that made it inherently unstable. 3) had just the high seat and was trying to launch in the surf zone. Most everyone gives the sage advice of taking your first trip in a calm area so you can get comfortable with the boat, adjust it, build confidence, etc. I just so happened to get mine right before I had a fishing trip planned to Cape Hatteras. So I said F it to that advice and thought I would learn at the beach. That was a mistake, I couldn't get more than 3 strokes before a wave would knock me over. So I had no idea what I was doing. Plus I wasn't putting the seat in the correct position. I had it as far back as it would go and at my size, that had the tank well low and the bow high and worst, the area in the front to middle that gives the stability wasn't deep enough into the water so it was super unstable. I also had only a high seat which is challenging in the surf zone. I was mentally defeated that day as I wasn't able to even get out on my new 2k purchase and was a little nervous about the whole thing.

Queue rocky music. So I whimpered back home and went into training. I then bought a low seat and took it to a reservoir back home and just sat in it to get comfortable in it, learned to adjust the trim properly, etc. I then just played around and learned the kayak. I think I did this 2 or 3 days till I got very comfortable in it, even had a medium wind day that kicked up small waves on the reservoir. So then I felt comfortable enough to take it into the James River. I did my first 2 trips in the low seat, learned to anchor in current, deal with current, etc. This was right below a class II rapid so I had lots of good practice areas. I was then comfortable enough to hit the current in the high seat. This was also spring time. The first couple trips I wore my thermal waders. I've since learned they also make the high seat less stable. So I then went on my first real trip at night. Launched a mile down river, paddled up river into the current, and nailed a 27 inch striper. I was then addicted! It wasn't all happy times that night though, I thought I was going to make the news as a drowning victim at one point. The place I was fishing was right behind a train trestle. There was a giant rock providing a break about 10 feet up river from it and I was behind that. I then wanted to move to the other side of the river. But as soon as I got my bow out, the current ripped it and turned me sideways. I then went down river sideways and the bow hit the bridge pylon and the stern a giant rock. Thought for sure I was going over, but didn't. That taught me how stable the kayak really is and my confidence increased substantially. From there I took it out into the bay and built confidence to go about anywhere. Buying that kayak has turned out to be one of my best decisions ever and I haven't looked back since. Bottom line is kayaking is 90% about confidence. If you feel confident and are moving fluidly, you have a low chance of turtling.

I haven't turtled the kayak since that first trip. But I have been ejected from it once :) Over the years since my first trip, I spent most of my time kayaking in the bay or saltwater. And there, when I approach a shoal(provided it isn't an oyster reef), it's sand and so I kind through my ass into it because this softens the impact on the shoal which stabilizes the boat. I decided to take the kayak up into the mid section of the James, in a rock garden. So a similar thing happens, I'm approaching a shoal and throw my ass into it. Only it's not a shoal, it's a boulder and the impact on a rock caused the kayak to bounce and I got tossed over the side. :)

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

PolyTech wrote:I'd keep this article away from the missus.

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-accused-kil ... 10061.html

GOSHEN, N.Y. (AP) — A woman accused of killing her fiance while out paddling on the Hudson River admitted tampering with his kayak and later confessed "it felt good knowing he would die," a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Angelika Graswald, 35, has been indicted on a second-degree murder charge in the death of Vincent Viafore in choppy, chilly water on the evening of April 19. Police say he died 50 miles north of New York City near Bannerman Island, a scenic ruin near the east shore where the longtime U.S. resident from Latvia volunteered as a gardener.

Viafore, 46, was not wearing a life jacket and his body hasn't been found.

Assistant District Attorney Julie Mohl said at a bail hearing Wednesday that Graswald felt trapped and stood to benefit by $250,000 from life insurance policies. Mohl did not detail how Graswald tampered with her fiance's kayak but said it filled with water and capsized. Viafore held onto his boat for 5 to 10 minutes, but Graswald called 911 some 20 minutes after his kayak capsized. Witnesses say she intentionally capsized her own kayak, Mohl said.

"She felt trapped and it was her only way out," Mohl said.

Graswald was rescued by another boater and treated for hypothermia.

She later told investigators that she felt relief and "it felt good knowing he would die," Mohl said.

The judge set bail for Graswald, who appeared in court in shackles and an orange jumpsuit, at $3 million cash.

After the hearing, defense attorney Richard Portale noted the language barrier between Graswald and investigators. He said he would look into whether her statements were voluntary.

"I'm skeptical of the statements," he said.

Since her arrest almost two weeks ago, those who know Graswald have been trying to square the fun-loving woman they knew with the killer described by authorities.

"The bubbly, bouncy little ballerina girl had a dark side," said Mike Colvin, a disc jockey in Poughkeepsie she lived with from November 2008 to June 2010. Still, he never saw Graswald act in a way that suggested violence.

Graswald could walk into a room full of strangers and know everyone's name by the time she left, Colvin said. But he said he also had authority issues and could make unwise snap decisions when angry. She had run through two marriages and a string of jobs by her mid-30s. The impulsiveness apparently contributed to her checkered job history at restaurants and other businesses.

"They would have staff meetings, and she would just lose it, and eventually she'd have to be let go," Colvin said. "This happened more than once. Not a big fan of authority."

Graswald and Viafore appeared to be a happy couple.

Images posted online show an active, affectionate pair spending time outdoors, particularly on the water, and a message about their plans to be married at a spot on the Baltic Sea. Sean Von Clauss, a professional musician from Boston who had known Viafore since boyhood, recalls how the couple would affectionately slow dance when he performed "Shama Lama Ding Dong."

"They were always in love — singing, dancing and holding. They were always together," Von Clauss said. "He was thrilled that he found his soul mate."

Viafore had a booming laugh and loved to socialize — the kind of guy who would pick up the check, Von Clauss said.

Von Clauss said he saw Graswald the Friday before her arrest at a gathering to remember Viafore at a bar. She brought a poster board covered with pictures and asked Von Clauss to play "Shama Lama Ding Dong." Usually they would play "Hotel California" together, but she asked him to play solo that night. Then she forgot the words.

"We all kind of sang along, then she sort of finished it by herself," he said. "We all gave her a big round of applause anyway."
that story has been on GMA several mornings this week, that chick was a bad girlfriend for sure. But it could be a great candidate for c-dub.... ha