It's a violent world down there

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
awesome guy
Party: After 10

It's a violent world down there

Post by awesome guy »

The yellow eyed devil strikes!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Re: It's a violent world down there

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:The yellow eyed devil strikes!
yep, wish the big blues would come back to the outer banks (or the big stripers), loved getting one of those 40lb fellas on the line but it has probably been 10 years since I have been down in the fall since they never come into the beach anymore.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
yep, wish the big blues would come back to the outer banks (or the big stripers), loved getting one of those 40lb fellas on the line but it has probably been 10 years since I have been down in the fall since they never come into the beach anymore.

I'm torn on that. On one hand, yeah, would love to see the chompers again. On the other, that means it's colder and so VA may not get as many reds as we've had. And the specs could go away too. But it's cyclical and we'll likely see chompers, weakfish, etc return and the drum and speckled trout disappear. When was the last time you even saw a weakfish? They used to be all over the bay, pretty much gone now. All things considered, I'll take giant bull reds and specs over striper and blues. But I'm also biased because I have an unfair advantage in that those 40 pound cows spawn in Richmond and so I get the chase them 20 minutes from my house. Been on them all spring actually :) So I don't need to drive to Hatteras to tangle with them. I think there's a nice spawning river down your way too. The Roanoke River, right?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I'm torn on that. On one hand, yeah, would love to see the chompers again. On the other, that means it's colder and so VA may not get as many reds as we've had. And the specs could go away too. But it's cyclical and we'll likely see chompers, weakfish, etc return and the drum and speckled trout disappear. When was the last time you even saw a weakfish? They used to be all over the bay, pretty much gone now. All things considered, I'll take giant bull reds and specs over striper and blues. But I'm also biased because I have an unfair advantage in that those 40 pound cows spawn in Richmond and so I get the chase them 20 minutes from my house. Been on them all spring actually :) So I don't need to drive to Hatteras to tangle with them. I think there's a nice spawning river down your way too. The Roanoke River, right?

The problem we have is the heat, the stripers are having a hard time surviving in Lake Norman which was the only lake to have enough depth for them. The river around here is the Catawba river, Roanoke river is more over in eastern NC. I don't have the equipment to river fish much. I used to fish for stripers in the dead of winter on Norman but the lake turned over a couple of years ago and killed most of them. The wildlife people finally gave up and stopped stocking them and are switching to hybrid bass.