Picked up a fishing kayak today

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Homebrew

Picked up a fishing kayak today

Post by Homebrew »

A weber 132 fishing SOT kayak. 11' long 3 rod holders. It'll be good for good weather on the bay, tributaries, and reservoirs. Going to test it in the Severn River tomorrow. I figure it will make for a great snakehead slayer off the Potomac.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Picked up a fishing kayak today

Post by awesome guy »

Homebrew wrote:A weber 132 fishing SOT kayak. 11' long 3 rod holders. It'll be good for good weather on the bay, tributaries, and reservoirs. Going to test it in the Severn River tomorrow. I figure it will make for a great snakehead slayer off the Potomac.

Heck yeah! How did it do on the Severn?

The lower bay by the CBBT was on fire this weekend. I picked up a cobia, a couple trophy drum lots of bull, yet just under trophy sized drum(42-45 inches), and every 2-3 foot shark you would ever want to see in your lifetime. It was a stupid amount of sharks, we couldn't get away from them till we went into the bay proper. I think they, the cobia, drum, etc are stagging and waiting for the water to warm just a bit before coming on in so ain't going to be long before the bay is alive and kicking. This was all on a motor boat though. I'm still not comfortable enough to take a kayak exactly where I was. I'll take one in the protected waters behind the barrier islands, but I was pretty much in the ocean and the area of the bay there has a wicked current. you can easily get pulled out to sea if you don't time the trip right and pay attention to the tide changes. Plus it was memorial day weekend, so lots of boaters out there who only take the boat out once or twice a year. Too much JV to be a slow moving and not easily seen object on the water.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Homebrew

Re: Picked up a fishing kayak today

Post by Homebrew »

Severn has chain pickeral upriver and bay fish near the mouth but we didn't fish. My dad wanted to see if the kayak would work for him too (father's day forthcoming). Anyhow river was crazy with boaters around Annapolis so we'll finish off the kayak testing Sat. It's a good kayak.