Anyone here ever own a classic car?

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Anyone know what it is like to own a car like this? Are you working on it every weekend, or is it more like owning a normal car?

I had a Fiat Spider in high school, which necessitated me getting very comfortable working on cars LOL. However, my big beef working on cars is the contortion like positions I see to have to be in.

Anyway, starting to get the fever, mildly, to buy something like this. Any experiences to share would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
cwtcr hokie

Re: Anyone here ever own a classic car?

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Anyone know what it is like to own a car like this? Are you working on it every weekend, or is it more like owning a normal car?

I had a Fiat Spider in high school, which necessitated me getting very comfortable working on cars LOL. However, my big beef working on cars is the contortion like positions I see to have to be in.

Anyway, starting to get the fever, mildly, to buy something like this. Any experiences to share would be appreciated.

I love working on cars, do all my own stuff on my vehicles whenever possible (based on what has to be done and any special tools needed). But have not had the extra funds or time to rebuild one. The time it takes tho for a rebuild is pretty extensive, for the car in the picture the maintaining is probably minimal, to get to the point in the picture probably took a good amount of time depending on what facilities you have to work on it in. I will probably get a couple of project cars in a few years tho as life slows down and the funds are available.

my wife's cousin does rebuild older dodges, him and his wife do it and they create some very nice rides.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Anyone know what it is like to own a car like this? Are you working on it every weekend, or is it more like owning a normal car?

I foresee you in a 69 Charger!

They're want you make of them. If you're restoring to original condition then it's not to much work, though you'll fret over keeping it original looking and then go on quests for original screws to the panels under the carpet. If you're going more for something like this, then yes, work all the time. Customizing means constant work and repair.

Attachments
1970-Nova-Muscle-Car-Restored-and-fully-customized[1].jpg
1970-Nova-Muscle-Car-Restored-and-fully-customized[1].jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Def want to buy one already fixed up nice like the photo. Would love to get into these projects, but I am a slave to the man. I turn 50 in a year so I was thinking of something like this, which would be as old as me.
Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Def want to buy one already fixed up nice like the photo. Would love to get into these projects, but I am a slave to the man. I turn 50 in a year so I was thinking of something like this, which would be as old as me.
I turned a lot of wrenches in HS on one of these.

LOVED it. There is VERY little to a late 60's muscle car. There is LOTS of room to work on them. I used to sit on the fender with my feet on the block on my buddy's 69 GOAT. Just the block, master cylinder, radiator and carb. You really just need an engine lift if you're going to do serious work. Even then, getting down to the headers and valves is pretty easy.

Biggest issue, for you, will be whether you want a comfortable hot rod, a numbers matching and emissions in CA. If you have the room, I'd say go for it. They hold their value pretty well - if you decide to abandon the project down the road.

If I had the money, this is the one i would buy. Maybe the best production car ever.

Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

So in looking at the old GTOs on eBay there seems to be three kinds. The project car, the car that looks great which isn't entirely original, and the pristine original. The third group is $$$$. I have seen people list their Buy It Now price as high as $80k, but none of those have hit their reserve price. The second group has cars that often look really nice but are a lot cheaper. The project cars are serious projects.

Valencia Hokie

Post by Valencia Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:So in looking at the old GTOs on eBay there seems to be three kinds. The project car, the car that looks great which isn't entirely original, and the pristine original. The third group is $$$$. I have seen people list their Buy It Now price as high as $80k, but none of those have hit their reserve price. The second group has cars that often look really nice but are a lot cheaper. The project cars are serious projects.

Yeah, project cars are the way to go. Honestly, I've seen some REALLY nice cars go for way less than they should have at Barrett Jackson. If you're looking for a drive able hot-rod, you might want to try the no reserve auction route.

GTO's, NOVA, Impalas, Cutlass, Vettes, Firebirds are all going to be $$$$. They have big block and power plus they are are often coupes. If you're set on a GTO, you might want to look at the LeMans. More available and the same as a GTO, essentially. I'd also go 68-69. There used to be more of them around. 67's are harder to find, IIRC.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Thanks for the 411 Valencia!

Homebrew

Post by Homebrew »

If I were going to build a car, I would build a Factory 5 kit car. They are great looking and you are essentially building a new car, in your garage. Classic cars imho look good but drive really mushy.

Here are some examples.

Plus there is an EV option, through EV west, which IMHO, provides greater performance than an ICE with the simplicity of an EV (no carb tuning, no oil changes, no messy fluid leaks.)
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Homebrew wrote:

If I were going to build a car, I would build a Factory 5 kit car. They are great looking and you are essentially building a new car, in your garage. Classic cars imho look good but drive really mushy.

Here are some examples.

Plus there is an EV option, through EV west, which IMHO, provides greater performance than an ICE with the simplicity of an EV (no carb tuning, no oil changes, no messy fluid leaks.)
Thanks Homebrew. Those cars sound awesome!