Major Kong has now passed the injured baton to me

Alternatively called "The Lounge"
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Major Kong has now passed the injured baton to me

Post by awesome guy »

Hopefully he can heal as I take on the role of injured guy. I have something moving in my back and it sometimes stops on the sciatic nerve, creating the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. Like stretched out on the floor almost to tears pain. It can't walk or move when it comes. And then after screaming, stretching, and squirming around, I can get whatever is moving off the nerve and then go back to just high pain instead of debilitating pain. And then as the day goes on, I actually start feeling better and can walk around. Sometimes I wake up feeling absolutely fantastic and then take that first step only to feel that disk or whatever move and I'm on the floor again. I was in the ER Sunday which at least got me some industrial strength painkillers, and then later with the primary physician getting a shot in the butt. I'm moving around with a walker and have one of those containers old people have with my meds laid out for the morning, noon, and evening. This sucks. I had an MRI today and unfortunately, they don't make them for us big people. So I was in the tube with my hands over my head to fit my shoulders in the machine. I'm not normally claustrophobic, but that pushed me a bit. Especially when my back started moving and I got worried the nerve would be hit again and then I have no way to really move and stretch the back out. In summary, this sucks. This week was supposed to be a fishing extravaganza with kayaking for reds on Monday, a charter boat offshore tomorrow, and surf fishing for bull reds Fri-Sun. Now I'm sitting here loaded up on oxycontin hearing about all the great trips that I was supposed to be part of. And even my hunting friends have been getting it done and killing some back strap, but I can't get that either as I can't drive or cook it if someone brought me some venison. The wife won't cook it either. So this sucks. This is prime time for fishing and I can't even walk down the hall without assistance. I'll find out next week what's going with my back and hopefully get some relief.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: Major Kong has now passed the injured baton to me

Post by Major Kong »

Man that sucks AG. :( Hopefully the sawbones and the MRI will shed some light on the problem.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

thanks man. I have been somewhat successful limiting the pain with posture. I've got the movements that create the slippage down by now and so have been avoiding them till the sawbones can tell me what's going on. In a way, I hope it's just something like a disk and not the hip going out. The pain is that area, I think it's more likely something in the back, but the hip still has me worried. That's a whole other series of pain and complications from getting replacements every 10 years. I can at least help the back with exercise, kinda screwed if it's the hip.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:thanks man. I have been somewhat successful limiting the pain with posture. I've got the movements that create the slippage down by now and so have been avoiding them till the sawbones can tell me what's going on. In a way, I hope it's just something like a disk and not the hip going out. The pain is that area, I think it's more likely something in the back, but the hip still has me worried. That's a whole other series of pain and complications from getting replacements every 10 years. I can at least help the back with exercise, kinda screwed if it's the hip.
As much crap as I give you here I sure hate to hear you going through that. That's big time pain.

I'm even avoiding the temptation to comment that you posting while high on Oxycontin isn't likely to result in different results! :)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Florida Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:thanks man. I have been somewhat successful limiting the pain with posture. I've got the movements that create the slippage down by now and so have been avoiding them till the sawbones can tell me what's going on. In a way, I hope it's just something like a disk and not the hip going out. The pain is that area, I think it's more likely something in the back, but the hip still has me worried. That's a whole other series of pain and complications from getting replacements every 10 years. I can at least help the back with exercise, kinda screwed if it's the hip.
As much crap as I give you here I sure hate to hear you going through that. That's big time pain.

I'm even avoiding the temptation to comment that you posting while high on Oxycontin isn't likely to result in different results! :)

The wife asked the doc about that. You only get high when you're not in pain. While I was talking with them, the noted how alert I was while she was telling them I had 6 pills in my system. Pain is off the charts.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

One interesting side effect is crazy dreams. Daisy Fuentes is going to start stalking me if she finds out what I did to her last night in my dreams. I'm waiting for the flowers and chocolates to show up at the door any moment.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:One interesting side effect is crazy dreams. Daisy Fuentes is going to start stalking me if she finds out what I did to her last night in my dreams. I'm waiting for the flowers and chocolates to show up at the door any moment.
Ain't that the truth! I was put on Oxycontin some years ago after kidney surgery and that stuff gave me some tremulous dreams I tell ya.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Dang AG sorry to hear this. Hope you wake up feeling better tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

How you feeling AG?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:How you feeling AG?

I'm on narcotics and steroids. I feel somewhere between Charlie Sheen and Gary Busey

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Seriously, thanks for asking. I'm actually pretty F'd up. I have a lot of stuff going on and the doctor literally thought I was in a car wreck after seeing my MRI. Best I can figure is a car wreck from 25 years ago where I flipped a vehicle, but walked away without a scratch. Maybe the back took it worse than I realized. Or a decade of football and being the truck that hit the other guy! Or getting my arse kicked on the bay half the year. There are a couple suspects and I'm not sure which one did it, but back surgery is in my near to medium future. My L5 is like a piece in jinga, it's not aligned with the others and is pinching a nerve and causing instability. I also have spinal stenosis and arthritis setting in. My back is screwed. So I'm at a cross roads health wise where I have to loose weight and stop torturing my back by taking 3-4 foot waves at 40 mph. I'm Colt Seavers paying for the physical sins of my past. Lifestyle changes are coming my way and it sucks. But I should still be able to kayak. I'll just get a trailer for it instead of lifting it 7 foot to the roof.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

Seriously, thanks for asking. I'm actually pretty F'd up. I have a lot of stuff going on and the doctor literally thought I was in a car wreck after seeing my MRI. Best I can figure is a car wreck from 25 years ago where I flipped a vehicle, but walked away without a scratch. Maybe the back took it worse than I realized. Or a decade of football and being the truck that hit the other guy! Or getting my arse kicked on the bay half the year. There are a couple suspects and I'm not sure which one did it, but back surgery is in my near to medium future. My L5 is like a piece in jinga, it's not aligned with the others and is pinching a nerve and causing instability. I also have spinal stenosis and arthritis setting in. My back is screwed. So I'm at a cross roads health wise where I have to loose weight and stop torturing my back by taking 3-4 foot waves at 40 mph. I'm Colt Seavers paying for the physical sins of my past. Lifestyle changes are coming my way and it sucks. But I should still be able to kayak. I'll just get a trailer for it instead of lifting it 7 foot to the roof.
That sure doesn't sound like fun. Keep the faith buddy. I will be rooting for you on this. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

sorry for you troubles, I got some back pain but the doc says the disks are in good shape, handle mine thru some exercises but good luck with your surgery and all and take care of the ol back. Losing weight is not bad, just don't turn full vegan on us
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

awesome guy wrote:

Sorry to hear that AG. Good luck on the recovery and I hope you are able to somehow avoid surgery.
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Sorry to hear that AG. Good luck on the recovery and I hope you are able to somehow avoid surgery.
Thank you. There's little chance I avoid surgery unfortunately.

Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

Best wishes to find a path to some pain relief my man. I am very sorry you are dealing with that.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

How is the back pain AG?
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:How is the back pain AG?

I can walk around now, so getting better. Halfway through my physical therapy and not looking good to avoid surgery. The back still slips, only now instead of making me cry like a girl and making my leg go numb, now my leg is just going numb. To make matters worse, my super hot therapists is giving me fits. Not only is she super hot, but she also likes kayaking and would be the perfect Awesome Gal. Well, she had the audacity to tell me that kayaking is bad for my slipped disc! WTH, the nerve of her. I'm telling the nag at home that the therapist said kayaking is actually good for the back. I haven't been in over a month and am feeling the blues from that. Especially with it supposed to be 80 degrees tomorrow, water temp is still high 60s which would give me a legitimate shot at some keeper redfish before winter is fully here and it's speckled trout time. My buddy went speckled trout fishing yesterday and he got skunked so it may that bad few weeks where it's a little too cold for the reds to be hitting hard, yet still too warm for the specks to be schooled up. I was doing a lot better till Halloween where I took the kids out. Before I was just hobbling to the bus stop. I started feeling a lot better and went 3 days without my back slipping. So I took the kids out and the back has slipped every day since then. I fear I'm going to need a spinal fusion. I know I'm going to need them to dig out the bone around the spinal column, but was hoping that could be the nice and easy laser surgery. If I have to get the fusion, it'll likely be 100% sawbones action.
Bay_area_Hokie

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:How is the back pain AG?

I can walk around now, so getting better. Halfway through my physical therapy and not looking good to avoid surgery. The back still slips, only now instead of making me cry like a girl and making my leg go numb, now my leg is just going numb. To make matters worse, my super hot therapists is giving me fits. Not only is she super hot, but she also likes kayaking and would be the perfect Awesome Gal. Well, she had the audacity to tell me that kayaking is bad for my slipped disc! WTH, the nerve of her. I'm telling the nag at home that the therapist said kayaking is actually good for the back. I haven't been in over a month and am feeling the blues from that. Especially with it supposed to be 80 degrees tomorrow, water temp is still high 60s which would give me a legitimate shot at some keeper redfish before winter is fully here and it's speckled trout time. My buddy went speckled trout fishing yesterday and he got skunked so it may that bad few weeks where it's a little too cold for the reds to be hitting hard, yet still too warm for the specks to be schooled up. I was doing a lot better till Halloween where I took the kids out. Before I was just hobbling to the bus stop. I started feeling a lot better and went 3 days without my back slipping. So I took the kids out and the back has slipped every day since then. I fear I'm going to need a spinal fusion. I know I'm going to need them to dig out the bone around the spinal column, but was hoping that could be the nice and easy laser surgery. If I have to get the fusion, it'll likely be 100% sawbones action.
Well none of that sounds like fun,except for the hit therapist part. Keep the faith my friend. Glad to hear you were able to take the kids our trick or treating at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

I'm hoping for the best for you AG :!:

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Thanks guys
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Dang back is really lite up today. It's 80 and I'm dying to kayak. It's perfect conditions for one of my favorite spots too. I tried getting up this morning to go out, but the back had other plans. I can't even fish off a pier because launching 8-n-bait would lite it up. All I can do is something with a lite rod so was thinking lite rod artificials or trolling would be the ticket. I was concerned that even a puppy drum on top water would pull too hard for me, especially one of the 30+ inchers we've been catching this year. But at least then I could just hold on and let him drag me around in the kayak and then leg swoop it into the boat. No way I could fight a big catfish or big redfish. To add insult to injury, they're tearing up the stripers near another spot close by. I was thinking about just trolling around and occasionally casting for a red, but even that's blown up as I can't load the f-n boat. And I have 2 ways to load it, the prefered way is on the roof rack. No way I would do that with this back. The second way is in the bed with a T-bone extender. I couldn't even do that. I was feeling a lot better this week till I went to physical therapy yesterday. The therapist asked me to do a bridge and when I tried, the vertebrate moved again causing this latest round of pain and numbness. I'm pissed now. I may just buy a trailer so I don't even have to load the kayak, then just flop in and out of it.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Quick update. I had a couple injections into my spin. It's kinda cool how they do it and it sucks. It's under an xray. The doc injects some kind of dye that likes pain. He then agervataes the injury to get the pain receptors firing. This part obviously sucks. Then, under the xray, he guides the needle into the worst areas lite up by the dye and injects pain killers as well as steroids. So it's really a couple needles into the spin. Now I feel 90% better. If you imagine pain as a saucer or disk, all pain is numb but the edge of the saucer. I can feel my slipped disc grinding from time to time and that sucks. But I'm trying a kayak run this weekend. Been a while and I hope to get a couple drum before the water goes below 60 and it's speckled trout time. Wish me luck, I haven't been out in a couple months and have a lot of pent up fishing. Plus I haven't been to church, hoping for some fellowship too. Looking up in AG land, till the injections run out of their stuff. Then back to bitching and crying.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Quick update. I had a couple injections into my spin. It's kinda cool how they do it and it sucks. It's under an xray. The doc injects some kind of dye that likes pain. He then agervataes the injury to get the pain receptors firing. This part obviously sucks. Then, under the xray, he guides the needle into the worst areas lite up by the dye and injects pain killers as well as steroids. So it's really a couple needles into the spin. Now I feel 90% better. If you imagine pain as a saucer or disk, all pain is numb but the edge of the saucer. I can feel my slipped disc grinding from time to time and that sucks. But I'm trying a kayak run this weekend. Been a while and I hope to get a couple drum before the water goes below 60 and it's speckled trout time. Wish me luck, I haven't been out in a couple months and have a lot of pent up fishing. Plus I haven't been to church, hoping for some fellowship too. Looking up in AG land, till the injections run out of their stuff. Then back to bitching and crying.
I'm not saying this to be a douche, but from personal experience: give your back more time to heal than you think is necessary. More than once I've been on the course thinking my back was healed, only to determine on the 4th hole that it had not.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Quick update. I had a couple injections into my spin. It's kinda cool how they do it and it sucks. It's under an xray. The doc injects some kind of dye that likes pain. He then agervataes the injury to get the pain receptors firing. This part obviously sucks. Then, under the xray, he guides the needle into the worst areas lite up by the dye and injects pain killers as well as steroids. So it's really a couple needles into the spin. Now I feel 90% better. If you imagine pain as a saucer or disk, all pain is numb but the edge of the saucer. I can feel my slipped disc grinding from time to time and that sucks. But I'm trying a kayak run this weekend. Been a while and I hope to get a couple drum before the water goes below 60 and it's speckled trout time. Wish me luck, I haven't been out in a couple months and have a lot of pent up fishing. Plus I haven't been to church, hoping for some fellowship too. Looking up in AG land, till the injections run out of their stuff. Then back to bitching and crying.
I'm not saying this to be a douche, but from personal experience: give your back more time to heal than you think is necessary. More than once I've been on the course thinking my back was healed, only to determine on the 4th hole that it had not.

That's not douchey, input noted.